Menu

Would be most grateful for some specific fashion advice

Greta

I've been reading the other thread about general fashion advice with much interest, but I wonder if anyone would care to help me select a dress for an upcoming occasion.  My husband is receiving an award at work, and there's going to be a big dinner for him and a handful of other recipients.  Bosses and bigwigs will be there.  I need a new dress (and new shoes to go with it).

I'm 40 years old.  I'd like to look youthful, but without looking like I'm trying too hard to look youthful, kwim?  What are some do's and don't's for 40 year olds?

As far as my body type goes...  I'm tallish (5' 8.5") with a slender build overall.  Too skinny in the upper body (pitifully flat chested  :sad: with scrawny arms and shoulders).  What body fat I have is on my belly.   :angry:  It isn't a whole lot, but it's enough to make me self-conscious.  I'm more of a ruler than an hourglass - short torso and thick waist.  My legs are my best feature, long, and rather shapely if I do say so myself.  Definitely the only thing about me that might be worth accentuating!   :lol:

So, what overall style/shape/type of dress do you think would look best on me?  What hem length should I look for?

Are kitten heels enough?  I feel a bit awkward in high heels (not very graceful, plus I just don't like the feeling of being as tall as my hubby!), but if high heels would be more appropriate, I could be talked into it.

Uggh, and at some point I'm going to have to think about makeup and hair - I'm not good with those either!  I'll save that for another day.  I've got time.

Thanks for any help!

Uggh, and at some point I'm going to have to think about makeup and hair

Macy's are great for their free makeovers. Although they would like you to buy, they are not pushy. Bloomingdales is just as helpful. Their personal shopper is fun too for clothes shopping (my friends tried). Nordstrom was nice or snobbish depending on the salesperson.

Dinner lighting is usually more yellowish too.

Do you have freelance bridal makeup artist in your area? Some would do makeup and hair at my home so I don't need to buy makeup just for the occasion and it saves me a trip to the salon.

2" heels would be fine. For clothes choice I tend to look at the location of the award ceremony and dinner to see how formal I would dress. I'm 41 but lots shorter and different body shape.

Congrats and have fun.

Hmmm. Summertime/hot/warm weather, right?

I'd pick something like this (I like the emerald green color best) dress with these shoes.

Or

This dress with with these shoes (or something similar in black w/ a black dress or a nude color for other color dress).

LOVE the second dress and it is just what I had in mind. I would go black or possibly bold like red, but black is safer. The dress in the second link covers a bit of the arm which would be good since you are self conscious of yours. Definitely a couple of inches above the knee. Low heel is fine, especially with your height.

Agree that the ruched dress is beautiful and classy looking. Would not want to give advice on shoes since I cannot walk in heels and my options are always rather limited...but there are people here who can certainly advise on that issue.

Ooh, I love both of those dresses!!!  Thank you for those links, Stacia.  LOVE the lace, but that's probably outside of my budget.  The second one is gorgeous too, though, and I can definitely afford that.  And like Scarlett pointed out, that bit of sleeve would probably be more flattering on me anyway.

Arcadia, thanks for the advice regarding makeup!

I forgot to mention that I have fairly big feet (9.5) so I tend to shy away from pointed-toe designs, because I feel they make my feet look too long.  Am I on the right track there, or should I just get over it and go for what's most fashionable?

Oh, and this is happening in August, so yes still warm weather.  And that gives me enough time to plan and order online if I need to.

I'd go for the pointed toe. You're probably over-thinking it. If you're fairly tall, I doubt your feet look too long. I think the pointed toe/slingback look is always classy & would look nice for a business function like you're attending.

I'd go for the pointed toe. You're probably over-thinking it. If you're fairly tall, I doubt your feet look too long. I think the pointed toe/slingback look is always classy & would look nice for a business function like you're attending.

Thank you!  This is so good to know.  I just don't seem to have a clear sense of these things like most women do.  I've always been fashion-impaired!

I am quite a lot older than you are, but one rule of thumb I was given by a savy dresser is that

"after 40, you're better off going worth "classic" since trendy tends to point out our relative age."

And classic designs are still "stylish" next time we need to dress up, since the details don't point out the year we bought them, as really fashionable clothes do.

I forgot to mention that I have fairly big feet (9.5) so I tend to shy away from pointed-toe designs, because I feel they make my feet look too long.  Am I on the right track there, or should I just get over it and go for what's most fashionable?

That said, I mainly shop at charity thrift shops, so my advice may be worth exactly what you paid for it.  :p

I don't have a particular dress in mind, but I have a somewhat similar body type and have found lots of nice dresses on Lands End.  (And right now they are having a 30% off sale.)  You can go to their website and choose specific features.  I chose both sleeveless and short sleeve, and they have some options that I think would look great!

http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-dresses/-/N-fy7ZfkuZfks

Also, I think you could get a similar sandal as suggested but with a slightly rounded toe instead of pointy, if you want, and it would look just as dressy. 

I don't have a particular dress in mind, but I have a somewhat similar body type and have found lots of nice dresses on Lands End.  (And right now they are having a 30% off sale.)  You can go to their website and choose specific features.  I chose both sleeveless and short sleeve, and they have some options that I think would look great!

http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-dresses/-/N-fy7ZfkuZfks

Also, I think you could get a similar sandal as suggested but with a slightly rounded toe instead of pointy, if you want, and it would look just as dressy. 

Thanks!

This one's cute:  http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-knit-shirred-surplice-dress/id_265423

Do you guys think that would work for my body type?  Or would that rather low v-neck show off my total lack of cleavage?

Thanks!

This one's cute:  http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-knit-shirred-surplice-dress/id_265423

Do you guys think that would work for my body type?  Or would that rather low v-neck show off my total lack of cleavage?

My daughter said it's too casual.  And she's much smarter about these things than I am, so I'm sure she's right.

My daughter said it's too casual.  And she's much smarter about these things than I am, so I'm sure she's right.

Well, I have no sense of style, but I showed your OP and the dress to my mother:

She thinks it's great and for your self-described body shape would look spectacular, but you'd need to dress it up with some really nice shoes and some great jewelry. Not necessarily real jewelry, but classy costume and a little flashy. Like big earrings.

I'd pick something like this (I like the emerald green color best) dress with these shoes.

Or

This dress with with these shoes (or something similar in black w/ a black dress or a nude color for other color dress).

Oh, I like both of these, although I like the second one a little more.

A nice necklace with the second one, single-strand something or other, would finish off the neckline. If you do earrings, something not too dangly would be good. And a bracelet.

You know that I will recommend nylons. :-)

Well, I have no sense of style, but I showed your OP and the dress to my mother:

She thinks it's great and for your self-described body shape would look spectacular, but you'd need to dress it up with some really nice shoes and some great jewelry. Not necessarily real jewelry, but classy costume and a little flashy. Like big earrings.

Ooh, interesting idea!  Thank you!  How fun to have a mom who can be your fashion advisor!   :001_smile:  My daughter helps me out a lot.  My Mom is a sweetie, but her taste definitely runs more conservative than mine.  (I know she would object to the neckline!  And probably the hemline.   :laugh: She wouldn't say anything if I didn't ask, but if asked, she doesn't hold back.   :lol: ) 

A nice necklace with the second one, single-strand something or other, would finish off the neckline. If you do earrings, something not too dangly would be good. And a bracelet.

Thanks!  And yes, I'll be wearing nylons.  My legs are shapely, but my skin is . . . not exactly flawless.  Plus that just looks more dressy, right?

Ha!  I was just going to say no nylons but be sure to have some sun or fake sun on your legs since it will be August.

Thanks!  And yes, I'll be wearing nylons.  My legs are shapely, but my skin is . . . not exactly flawless.  Plus that just looks more dressy, right?

I think it looks a bit dated now.  It was once considered dressy.  Get a bit of color on your legs or use some Fake Bake...you will be amazed at how much better your skin will look.

I sort of agree with her. :-)

This is an adorable dress but maybe just a little too casual for the event you described?  Maybe?  

Yup.  What did you think of Kiana's mom's advice?  Would that be enough to dress it up?

Yes, nylons are much dressier. There are events I would go barelegged to, but not this one, not with those shoes. Strappy sandals at a beach party, sure. Dressy evening to recognize Mr. GretaLynn'es achievements, definitely not.

I think it looks a bit dated now.  It was once considered dressy.  Get a bit of color on your legs or use some Fake Bake...you will be amazed at how much better your skin will look.

Oh!  Okay, I had no idea.  

Yes, nylons are much dressier. There are events I would go barelegged to, but not this one, not with those shoes. Strappy sandals at a beach party, sure. Dressy evening to recognize Mr. GretaLynn'es achievements, definitely not.

Okay, now you guys are confusing me!   :lol: But my first instinct is like yours, Ellie.

While I think it's cute, I do think if you're on the fence about how casual it is then something like this may be more suitable (v-neck but not as low. Thicker fabric. Looks more dressy to me).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-v-neck-shutter-pleat-sheath-dress/3771326?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Pacific&resultback=912&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_3_B

I like that!

Oh my. Just saw the price tag on the one I linked. That would definitely scrap that idea for myself lol

Not out of the question, but an amount that would require a bit of budgeting on my part.

Or

That second dress would look good on almost any body type.  That's a great style.

Also, another vote for nylons=dated. Nylons are ok in patterns or colors as an accessory. In the winter, opaque colors are adorable.  But summer, plain, flesh colored?  Sorry, but no.    I have fish-belly white legs...I just put some tanning lotion on them.   

There are still a great many of us who would not dream of attending such an important event without nylons, and it has nothing to do with the color of the skin. :-)

Sounds like we have a similar body type going on.  I'm very thin, 5'11", and pear shaped (small bust, average waist, big booty).

I never wear high heels and am no worse for wear.  I usually choose ballet flats or kitten heels.

As far as dress styles go, I would go with a sheath or an empire waisted dress with a full skirt above the knee.  I own this Lands End dress in a black and white pattern and it is very flattering, although you probably want to go a bit more dressy for the occasion.

I don't know what your budget is like, but Ann Taylor has never done me wrong for business occasions.   How about this LBD?  Or this one because it is stretchy and stretchy is good!  This one is my fave --- lots of colors and made of jersey!

Sorry --- I get really excited when people ask about fashion stuff.  I'm a bit of a geek about it.  :tongue_smilie:

Please, don't apologize!  I am so grateful for people like you who can help out people like me (clueless!).  Those are all LOVELY!  

I know black is considered all-occasion, and I think it looks good on me.  I had thought about going more colorful, though.  What do you think?  (I have very fair skin, and very dark eyes and hair if that matters.  Since it's a summer occasion, I was thinking something bright might be fun.)

Just please...no nylons with open toed shoes....please....

Whatever I decide about the nylons, I can absolutely promise you that I will NOT wear them if I end up with open-toed shoes.  I solemnly swear.   :001_smile:

It's an age thing again, I think.  Over 45, we always wore stockings to dress up.  Under 35, folks don't, as a rule.  You are in the "get to choose" stage.  ;)

Okay, now you guys are confusing me!   :lol: But my first instinct is like yours, Ellie.

It's an age thing.  Over 45, we always wore stockings to dress up.  Under 35, folks don't, as a rule.  You are in the "get to choose" stage.  ;)

I guess that's lucky for me.  No, wait, that's another decision to make!!!   :willy_nilly:

:D

I get really excited when people ask about fashion stuff.  I'm a bit of a geek about it.  :tongue_smilie:

You know, I'm also going to be needing a really casual, fun summer dress for a 4th of July party, so if you like giving fashion advice, I certainly love receiving it!

It is regrettable that so many younger women have lost that sense of finishing an outfit with nylons. ::weeps quietly into her tea::

LOL...yer cracking me up.

I will be 49 in a few days.  I guess I better go buy some nylons.  

I do wear tights in the winter.  Tights?  Is that the right word?  ?  Grrr...my brain isn't working.  But I like that look with closed toe shoes or boots.

You know, I've never bought the toeless nylons - completely forgot that was an option!

Thank you!  Running out for a few errands, but looking forward to browsing through these when I get back.

Lots of good choices in that Macy's link.  You can't go wrong with a little black dress.  I say get thyself to a Macy's.  

I'm in the no nylons camp.  It really ages a person.

I have no fashion sense, this thread is fascinating! I do want to say that I have that Lands' End dress and it is way too casual for what you're describing. I wear it with flip-flops, grocery shopping or whatever; it would not look good at an evening event. The second dress is beautiful!

I have no fashion sense, this thread is fascinating! I do want to say that I have that Lands' End dress and it is way too casual for what you're describing. I wear it with flip-flops, grocery shopping or whatever; it would not look good at an evening event. The second dress is beautiful!

Thanks, this is good to know! I couldn't get a good sense of the quality/texture of the fabric from the pic (probably just me). So I wasn't sure, but trusted everyone else's instincts. :)

As a fellow flat-chested ruler-shaped gal, I can tell you what I have found looks best on me. I go for either a clearly defined A-line dress (like this one) or a v-neck wrap style dress (this one or this one). Instant hourglass shape. Another option for an A-line is this one. For something colorful, I like this one. For traditional black, I like this one. Whatever you do, do not get a sheath dress...it will emphasize the ruler shape.

I too love the second Nordstrom dress. It looks very flattering and could be dressed up or down for other occasions. Perhaps navy - it's more versatile I think. I am your height and shoe size and your feet will not look big. Nude shoes are very current and will flatter your long legs. Congrats to your husband. Find a dress you love and have a fabulous evening! 

As a fellow flat-chested ruler-shaped gal, I can tell you what I have found looks best on me. I go for either a clearly defined A-line dress (like this one) or a v-neck wrap style dress (this one or this one). Instant hourglass shape. Another option for an A-line is this one. For something colorful, I like this one. For traditional black, I like this one. Whatever you do, do not get a sheath dress...it will emphasize the ruler shape.

This is such a huge help - not just the specific links but also the advice about what types of dresses to wear and to avoid. Thank you very much!

I too love the second Nordstrom dress.

Me too! Unfortunately they don't have it in my size. :(

I am your height and shoe size and your feet will not look big. Nude shoes are very current and will flatter your long legs.

Cool!

Congrats to your husband. Find a dress you love and have a fabulous evening!

Thanks. :)