Menu

Are people dumb and buy it anyway?

ChrissySC

I am searching used resources and books.  I am thinking to myself ... "Does everyone think that I am stupid? or lazy?"

Honestly, a good example of this, the set of American History (Stobaugh) can be purchased new (yes, new) for 29.99.  Add shipping, and I will round this, and it is 36.  What ever makes you think that I will buy it used for 30?

I would buy it used for say 18 ... but really, 30, and not even a used-once item.  It was bought used and sold again.  :-/

Am I missing something?  

One more, The Fallacy Detective - the book is roughly 17 dollars (and digital is 10).  It is being sold used on various boards for ... 20!  And no, that did not include postage.  Ugggghhhh ..... does everyone think homeschoolers are just stupid?

And for the homschooling parents that are reselling ... do you wonder why it is not selling?  I don't.  I go buy it new anyway.

I just became a little "ill" and frustrated at the prices, which are often higher than say Christianbook or Rainbow Resource.  Why oh why?  I just don't get it.  I have to be missing something.  Because you used it first, it is worth more?

Please explain it to me!

I always marked things half the new price if I bought it new and added postage.  When did the used price become so elevated? What irks me more is that they bought it used too.    :confused1:

I was floored.  During difficult years, I would rely on used items.  Not so now.   I suppose I am off to freelance again for money for this coming year.  :lol:

I wonder if people just don't check. I always check amazon before listing. Most of my stuff is individual books and some of them are not worth listing. One book I recently sold and by the time I paid shipping and tracking I made a whole dollar. But used prices on Amazon were about the same. I probably won't do that again. Shipping is high, I won't do media mail for anything worth over a certain amount and I always pay for tracking for my own benefit. That makes some items not worth it. I have a box of things to sell but they're not worth listing because they won't sell because I'd be giving them away after paying shipping. 

I do think some people value their used items more than they should, not just list price. Honestly, I don't assume any used item is in the condition I'd prefer. I'm picky. It's not worth 25% off to wonder whether you're getting correct representation of a product. 

Yep.  I don't bother anymore with selling or buying used.  I will buy used from somewhere like Better World Books or Amazon if I can get a cheap price.  Otherwise, I would just rather buy it new.  I would rather just give my stuff away to people I know can get some use out of it. 

I would buy it used for $30, if it was in excellent condition.  If one pays with PayPal, you have excellent coverage against poor quality or a dishonest seller, so that risk is not even a factor.  In that case, $6 is $6, and I'll take the savings.  Why would I not, for a book set in excellent or like-new condition?  Would I take the $6 on one in good condition?  Likely not.  But the trivial  difference between excellent/like new and brand new from the publisher is worth it to me.  But then again, I pick up pennies and nickels off the sidewalk.  I do check the publisher, Rainbow, Amazon, and a few used curriculum sites, and also take shipping into account, before I buy.  But I will save money anywhere I can; I'm cheap that way.  I think flushing money down the toilet is idiotic. 

I am searching used resources and books.  I am thinking to myself ... "Does everyone think that I am stupid? or lazy?"

Honestly, a good example of this, the set of American History (Stobaugh) can be purchased new (yes, new) for 29.99.  Add shipping, and I will round this, and it is 36.  What ever makes you think that I will buy it used for 30?

I would buy it used for say 18 ... but really, 30, and not even a used-once item.  It was bought used and sold again.  :-/

Am I missing something?  

One more, The Fallacy Detective - the book is roughly 17 dollars (and digital is 10).  It is being sold used on various boards for ... 20!  And no, that did not include postage.  Ugggghhhh ..... does everyone think homeschoolers are just stupid?

And for the homschooling parents that are reselling ... do you wonder why it is not selling?  I don't.  I go buy it new anyway.

I just became a little "ill" and frustrated at the prices, which are often higher than say Christianbook or Rainbow Resource.  Why oh why?  I just don't get it.  I have to be missing something.  Because you used it first, it is worth more?

Please explain it to me!

This is why I don't even try to shop for used curricula anymore.  If my books were in very good condition, I would ask for half the original price.  If the condition wasn't very good and had been used more than once, I would let them go for shipping.  It just got to be such a hassle that I quit trying to sell them.

For the most part I agree, but there are exceptions.  

Especially, when someone is comparing prices to Rainbow.  My used items are usually in like new condition, and since I tend to overbuy, they are often, quite new LOL.  If I am selling a single small item (Things like literature guides  that are often under $10) for half price, plus a few dollars for shipping, it can end up being 75% of the price at Rainbow.  But buying from Rainbow is only worthwhile if you are planning to spend $150 at Rainbow to get the free shipping.  If you were going to pay the postage for a single item at Rainbow, it is still cheaper to buy a used item. 

I don't care if someone buys my item for a few dollars savings or not, but it still has to be worth it to me to make the trip to the post office (not a convenient location for me) to sell something. And also to factor in the likely hood that someone deceitful will eventually make a Paypal claim saying you didn't send an item that you did.  I also combine shipping for multiple items and refund the difference to the person, and that can make a dramatic difference when it comes to small items.  I charge the person the full price up front but when I mail multiple items, I get the real postage price and toss the excess an envelope into the package with a thank you note.. 

But what about all the valuable insights I have added via underlining and marginalia?

Some say 'used' some say 'value added' B)

That's why I get used school textbooks at used books bookstores and at library sales. I can get Holt and Glencoe with all the highlighting for tests here :lol:

I pay $10 and under though and it is just for quick reference so I don't mind. I've paid 50 cents for a high school german textbook at library book sale. I've actually gotten Campbell's Biology and Stewart's Calculus from a library's free pile, old edition but nice reference. I've been waiting for the physical geography textbooks to go from below $20 to below $10.

I've given away any gently used curriculum that my kids won't need anymore to free up space. I'm too lazy to sell.

BTW Rainbow has free freight for $50 now.

And, I have bought items that were discounted 5/6 dollars when unused.  I look for those first if I am going to buy new.  Many times, we like to buy and see it and then it goes on the board.  I have no issues with that.  I still saved 5 dollars.

But these are items clearly not the current edition, or previously used, that drive me nuts.  LOL

Again, I think it is a secret society out to test if I am gullible, or just plain dumb.  :P

For the most part I agree, but there are exceptions.  

Especially, when someone is comparing prices to Rainbow.  My used items are usually in like new condition, and since I tend to overbuy, they are often, quite new LOL.  If I am selling a single small item (Things like literature guides  that are often under $10) for half price, plus a few dollars for shipping, it can end up being 75% of the price at Rainbow.  But buying from Rainbow is only worthwhile if you are planning to spend $150 at Rainbow to get the free shipping.  If you were going to pay the postage for a single item at Rainbow, it is still cheaper to buy a used item. 

I don't care if someone buys my item for a few dollars savings or not, but it still has to be worth it to me to make the trip to the post office (not a convenient location for me) to sell something. And also to factor in the likely hood that someone deceitful will eventually make a Paypal claim saying you didn't send an item that you did.  I also combine shipping for multiple items and refund the difference to the person, and that can make a dramatic difference when it comes to small items.  I charge the person the full price up front but when I mail multiple items, I get the real postage price and toss the excess an envelope into the package with a thank you note.. 

I think that people who overprice either haven't done their research, or are unrealistic and think that someone will buy it for that.

I pretty much finance our curriculum purchases by constantly selling, so I'm competitive on pricing.  I also want books we're not using or aren't worth keeping out of the house.  I put up 4 eBay lots last week, and easily sold 3 for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I paid for them.  That's good enough for me.  The 4th was competitively priced IMHO, but not a high demand set.  So when it didn't sell, I dropped the price and relisted.  That one I may only get a 1/4 of what I paid, but having it gone with money in my pocket is fine. If I don't sell that lot in the next two weeks, I'm going to list two of the books on Amazon, and put the rest on Paperback swap.  I want them mostly out of my house by mid-July.

And I rarely go to the post office, really only if I need to restock my Priority Mail supplies because I suddenly ran out (I usually order online, they're free) or get a stamp for an overseas letter.  I print the postage at home and put it out for "Matt the Mailman," who says he'll take anything as long as I don't do too much at once.

Now remember, an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it!  :D I've had GREAT success with my new/like new items selling for a high price.  I always check websites before pricing and if a book is truly in used condition, I will sell it cheap.  However, if I have any chance at getting more, I'll go for it.  Doesn't hurt anyone and it helps pay all the fees associated with selling and shipping. 

I don't know, I guess I will buy something listed in like new condition for 3/4 of the new price. Sometimes when you factor in shipping from the publisher, it's quite a difference. I've also been on the opposite end of the spectrum and listed an item for close to what I paid. But, that price includes shipping and it literally is in perfect condition. That said, I usually buy new anyway since it'll get used for 5 kids.

Now remember, an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it!  :D I've had GREAT success with my new/like new items selling for a high price.  I always check websites before pricing and if a book is truly in used condition, I will sell it cheap.  However, if I have any chance at getting more, I'll go for it.  Doesn't hurt anyone and it helps pay all the fees associated with selling and shipping. 

True ... I think this is still a test if I am dumb.  LOL  

I have to say that when I buy on our swap here that I do not see as much inflation.  Often, everyone states never used and discounts a few dollars or sells it at the price listed elsewhere with ppd.  I think that is very fair and it still saves me a few dollars as well as getting it out of your house!

There was a book sold as like new with writing on the first 12 lessons.  It was only 10 dollars cheaper, and I think that is used.  Am I wrong?  

(Secret society again? We must be preparing for the alien invasion.  I have lost my mind with all of this dollar counting.   :laugh:  Just consider that I went crazy and call it done.  LOL )

I think sellers sometimes don't do their research, they are just going by what they remember paying for the item?  I had a "wanted" listing on homeschoolclassifieds.com for something and a seller emailed me with that item for sale at a high price.  I emailed her and pointed out that I was looking for a better deal or I would just buy it new on amazon for less than she had asked.  She thanked me for pointing that out and lowered her price.

I go through phases where I want to save money and am willing to put up with the hassles of finding and buying used, and phases where I just want to order it all at Rainbow and have it all arrive in one nice neat box.

True ... I think this is still a test if I am dumb.  LOL  

I have to say that when I buy on our swap here that I do not see as much inflation.  Often, everyone states never used and discounts a few dollars or sells it at the price listed elsewhere with ppd.  I think that is very fair and it still saves me a few dollars as well as getting it out of your house!

There was a book sold as like new with writing on the first 12 lessons.  It was only 10 dollars cheaper, and I think that is used.  Am I wrong?  

(Secret society again? We must be preparing for the alien invasion.  I have lost my mind with all of this dollar counting.   :laugh:  Just consider that I went crazy and call it done.  LOL )

Wellllll, maybe.  ;)  However, this thread did send me over to my listings on Varage Sale and lower prices on things that aren't moving.  :)

If people aren't going to mark things down then it isn't worth the hassle of ordering from an individual. There has been so many people who have been burned that it takes some  motivation before I will even consider buying from a person rather than a company. If it is only selling a for a few dollars less then I will just buy it from the company.

I resell my books locally.

You are right, that should have been listed as used. I would have left some sort of review in regard to that.

I have seen quite a few posts about people incorrectly grading their books or selling books with censored words or phrases. People need to say if books are marked in some way.

You are right, that should have been listed as used. I would have left some sort of review in regard to that.

I have seen quite a few posts about people incorrectly grading their books or selling books with censored words or phrases. People need to say if books are marked in some way.

I absolutely agree.  I began asking for photos, more photos.  Some of the clips are not as clear, and I tend to ask to see more.  

To be honest, everyone that I have dealt with sent more photos, clearly described the books, and accepted my counter offer.  

I am spoiled.  Years, and years ago, we stuck the price on it and it sold.  We sent photos, sent money order, and that was that.  Now we have to barter and have them prove the condition.  :-/  I liked the HS community better then when it came to re-purposing our purchases and selling them to others.  It was just easier.  Now, I find lots of used books are sold by companies and small business owners.  I liked it better when it was just all of us.

(And ... I am still hunting through the used and classifieds.  I suppose it is time to run through eBay today.)

I will pay up to the new price (shipping included) if it is being shipped from nearby.  As long as it's not falling apart or missing pages I am not too concerned with condition, and I like supporting "local" as much as I can.  I won't pay more than new for used, though, no matter how nearby.  :p

ETA: We also pass out books on to a local classical homeschool family who has children right behind Caboose Boy in age, so no worries about having to sell them.

With regard to used textbooks, some of them are worth quite a bit of money. If you live in the USA and can send them back to Amazon, they will give you a credit to your Amazon account. And, I'm pretty sure they pay for the shipping from where you are to their warehouse. I am not sure if Amazon sells Curriculum and will do that.

The Science textbook I need to buy for DD at this time, if someone in the USA has it in "good" condition, Amazon will give them a Credit for USD$23.84.   I didn't buy it when it was $32, then, to my astonishment, it went up to $80. It's down to $48 now. DD won't need it for several months, so I just check, daily, to see what is happening with that textbook, hoping to purchase it before late August / early September when textbook prices are typically at their highest...

Several of the textbooks we have purchased for DD on Amazon have been less expensive, "New", than they were "Used".  

Also, some of those "New" textbooks at least one, was a Publisher edition sent to an educator or school board, hoping they would decide to use that book in their school(s), but to us, for the $ saving, we have no problem with that, although it is probably against Amazon's rules.

I have seen a number of large Sellers on Amazon listing books as "Used-Very Good", but in their description, they add that it has, or, may have, highlighting, which is prohibited by Amazon's guidelines for "Used-Very Good" books.

I usually send a message to the Seller, via Amazons system, asking one or two questions, about the condition of the book, or if they provide tracking, or whatever. One thing I am looking for is how they respond to my pre purchase question(s).

We have purchased 2 or 3 textbooks that when DD received them, she has told me, "it smells like a new book".  :-)

I am also floored, frequently, at the prices people list textbooks and other things for. 

We bought a *wonderful* Refurbished laptop on Amazon, in March, and we hope that Seller will offer another one like that, in the future, so we can buy another one from them.

I think sellers sometimes don't do their research, they are just going by what they remember paying for the item? I had a "wanted" listing on homeschoolclassifieds.com for something and a seller emailed me with that item for sale at a high price. I emailed her and pointed out that I was looking for a better deal or I would just buy it new on amazon for less than she had asked. She thanked me for pointing that out and lowered her price.

I did this once. I listed a textbook at half what I paid for it used. Unbeknownst to me, when I tried to resell it, it was available on Amazon for $5. Someone pm'd me that info (for which I was grateful) and I decided to just keep it. I always include postage in the used stuff I sell and in this case with postage and driving to the PO to ship it, I would basically be giving it to someone if I priced it at $5.

I now check the new prices and Amazon Marketplace before I price things.

I did this once. I listed a textbook at half what I paid for it used. Unbeknownst to me, when I tried to resell it, it was available on Amazon for $5. Someone pm'd me that info (for which I was grateful) and I decided to just keep it. I always include postage in the used stuff I sell and in this case with postage and driving to the PO to ship it, I would basically be giving it to someone if I priced it at $5.

I now check the new prices and Amazon Marketplace before I price things.

In cases like that, I would ask you to lower the price to 5 and include the shipping (Amazon would charge shipping on one item too).  I really do dislike paying 4.99 though for a manila envelope with my workbook in it when in fact it was about 2 dollars worth of envelope and postage.  *sigh*  

I try and bundle items of similar topic in the case of smaller less expensive things.  It is also worth it to me to sell for the cost of packaging and shipping when someone else can repurpose my items.  

Consider too ...

I have begun to purchase digital copies for some things and print.  I can't resell, but I don't care because the cost was so much lower.  The for-example workbook would be about one to eight dollars for download.  Who cares then?

I think that people who overprice either haven't done their research, or are unrealistic and think that someone will buy it for that.

Mainly, I think it's this. Not long ago I saw someone vigorously touting the used homeschool materials she was selling via her Amazon page. She had a few things I wanted, so I checked it out. Her prices were higher than the prices Amazon had assigned for the NEW materials, let alone by other, highly rated sellers for used materials. Plus she wanted buyers to pay shipping! I watched that page for awhile to see if she lowered her prices on the things I wanted. I finally stopped watching because she wasn't getting the message when no one was buying :(

Sometimes, too, I think there are people who want to use Paypal instead of, or because they don't have, a credit card, and some people prefer to support homeschooling families who are re-selling versus, say, Amazon. They may be the ones who are buying these things.

Personally, I will sometimes buy used things that are discounted just a little bit if I know the seller, or if they have good ratings. Otherwise, I feel like a few dollars' discount isn't worth the risk of not getting what I paid for. It hasn't happened often, but it HAS happened, and boy is it annoying!

I found Skills for Literary Analysis earlier today.  It was $20 ppd.  I think that was a great deal because the new set was marked down to about $35 and did not include shipping.  This seller did some research and considered the condition of the items, priced accordingly adding in the shipping.  I will save roughly 15 dollars in the end for the two (my Rainbow cart is now minus an item).    

Perhaps you are right NowWeAreFour - it might just boil down to research.  I wonder if they are comparing it to retail and not the actual market selling price.  Hmmm ... could be.

I think I am depressed, because that means there isn't a secret society and people are just being absent minded in their pricing.  Bummer.

I think I am depressed, because that means there isn't a secret society and people are just being absent minded in their pricing.  Bummer.

Well, I could try to set up a Meetup group or something, if it would make you feel better!

I found Skills for Literary Analysis earlier today.  It was $20 ppd.  I think that was a great deal because the new set was marked down to about $35 and did not include shipping.  This seller did some research and considered the condition of the items, priced accordingly adding in the shipping.  I will save roughly 15 dollars in the end for the two (my Rainbow cart is now minus an item).

Ooh, I am intrigued! I'm considering teaching a "book club" with a literary analysis spin for our co-op. I wonder if that would help me? Off to research!

I was planning to buy book three of the k12 human odyssey series.

I live in Canada so I except paying more then the people who live in the USA. But the like new copy I found was asking over 3000 dollars.

.????.

http://www.amazon.ca/Human-Odyssey-Modern-Times-Contemporary/dp/1601530188/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1403033829&sr=8-3&keywords=Human+odyssey+k12

Oh my goodness ... there is certainly something off with that one.  

Oh I have it ... they are not really homeschoolers - looks around her room at all of the sleeping computers - they are computers.  I really hate programs at times.  :-/

Well, I could try to set up a Meetup group or something, if it would make you feel better!

Ooh, I am intrigued! I'm considering teaching a "book club" with a literary analysis spin for our co-op. I wonder if that would help me? Off to research!

I will have it soon.  I assigned the literature for the summer reading list per usual.  I assign the reading ahead of time so that we do not waste the time fussing over a book that is not completely read.  

And a meet up might just cheer me up.  :)  Heaven knows I love people and love to talk.  I do think my three girls have driven me crazy though.

Sometimes it is an honest mistake. I purchased one book for close to $100. Several years later I posted it for sale for $25. It was in almost new condition. We had handled it with kid gloves. I thought I was giving someone an incredible deal. I was making very little profit (as with everything I sold) after shipping. In fact, I often made no profit and just listed at what shipping came out to be. I had one person contact me and offer $10 for it, telling me that Amazon had it new for $25. I checked, they were correct. It would have cost me more than $10 to ship it. I just stuck it on my bookshelves for the grandkids to peruse one day. The person who had contacted me was furious. Seems I had committed some horrid sin. I didn't have time to look up the current value of every book I sold.

The Kingfisher, white book, from years ago is an example of how up and down the price can go.  At one point, I saw them for $280. Demand drove that price up.  I have the red cover that followed.  I have seen it for as much as $120, and sometimes as low as $15.

Nuts.