Menu

Bullet Journal Updates?

CAMom

I might be a bit anal, but I still use two calendars in addition to my bullet journal.  I keep all of the family activities, etc. on my computer calendar (Mozilla Sunbird) because I use the reminder feature.  I keep a paper planner on the desk in my office where I write down my college work and daily appointments and scheduled activities so I can plan my days accordingly.  In my bullet journal, I keep track of my water intake (I'm bad about not drinking enough water), whether I've taken my vitamins or not, and the biggie, the money I spend each day (which I then transfer onto a Money Spent page for each month; this has been eye-opening).  I do note and check off to-do items each day, as well, and I want to start adding a "today in history" style note about anything noteworthy going on in the world (which would obviously not be "history" yet but eventually :)).  I'm trying to move toward a more journal-style book, but I'm not really there yet.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a more neat and clean look because I am so easily distracted. :lol:

One reason I like keeping a paper planner/journal is so that my kids have something to look back on. Something with my handwriting and my thoughts. I think we're losing some of that in our age of technology. 

I love the things I have that are in my grandmother's hand-like her recipe cards. 

I think that's part of why I like the bullet journal so much. The way I've adapted it lends itself to see a bit of my personality along with my mundane tasks to be done.

I also have better success when I physically write something on paper. It's like it imprints it on my brain. When I type something into my computer or phone, it's much less likely to stick for me. :)

This is one of the reasons I love it.  I use google calendar, and it works well for our family.  But if I put a to-do item on it, it's so easy to mindlessly move it to the next day.   With the written journal, it takes just a bit more effort to write it again on the next day's page, so it's more likely to get one.  Maybe not always on the first day, but no later than the third...   It also helps keep it in the back of my mind. 

I think it's interesting that often people (people in general, not here) talk about the value of handwritten work for kids - taking class or reading notes, for example - because it helps cement the information in the brain, yet as adults we often discard that idea in favor of electronic methods.  

Tonight I took my BJ to a class/lecture at church. Earlier I erased the two page spread I attempted to do for June, freeing those pages and mentally unblocking me from not using my journal (that month spread really stymied me). It was great. I was able to differentiate things I wanted to do that were mentioned from the ideas I got and it all makes sense.

I think once in a while I'm going to sit down with my colorful Flair markers and color-code my boxes from dots from circles. Even though they vary by shape, using pencil makes them all look alike if I'm scanning a page. I also think I'm going to use color when checking off or migrating a to-do, and maybe a couple other things. So, the initial writing will be in pencil, but at some other time I'll sit and go through, using color to make things easier to see.

I love that I can put in long term goals/lists and either check them off or move them to the next month as needed.  For example, I just moved the reminder to call the school about the PSAT in early September.  And I added the codes needed for the schools ds wants to send his ACT scores to this year.  Things that rattle around in my brain, and unless I have someplace safe and permanent to put them, they will just get lost in a random spiral notebook.

Tonight I took my BJ to a class/lecture at church. Earlier I erased the two page spread I attempted to do for June, freeing those pages and mentally unblocking me from not using my journal (that month spread really stymied me). It was great. I was able to differentiate things I wanted to do that were mentioned from the ideas I got and it all makes sense.

I think once in a while I'm going to sit down with my colorful Flair markers and color-code my boxes from dots from circles. Even though they vary by shape, using pencil makes them all look alike if I'm scanning a page. I also think I'm going to use color when checking off or migrating a to-do, and maybe a couple other things. So, the initial writing will be in pencil, but at some other time I'll sit and go through, using color to make things easier to see.

i got one of those 4-color pens, jewel tones, thank you.  the lime green is useless, but the other three colors do help me distinguish different kinds of tasks, events, and so on.  I use pencil most of the time, but when I am in a ocd mood, i like that pen.

I didn't pay attention to the first bullet journal thread, but this one popped up at the perfect time for me.  I am at the point where I have given an all-digital system a fair chance (over 6 mos!), and was trying to figure out how to continue tweaking it to work for me.  The bullet journal is intriguing enough that I'm going to give it a go.  I'm using a Piccadilly 5x8 notebook (looks like a Moleskine) which only had two pages used, so no financial investment is a bonus!

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate Mystie's interval planning into the bullet journal format.  I want to be able to plan an interval level that is not necessarily one month in duration.

Thanks to all of you for posting how you are using your bullet journals.  I've gotten some good ideas from y'all!

I'm really enjoying mine, but I need to get better about referencing it throughout the day. I'm thinking about doing a bullet style journal for my homeschool planning for the next year. Supplies to buy, possible schedules, money spent so far, etc.  It probably won't be the only thing I use, but I have so many random ideas/notes running through my head I need to get them down somewhere.

I'm still using the one I posted pictures of in the original thread.  I love that I can use it as a brain dump - no more trying to keep track of stuff or writing on pieces of papers, misc envelopes etc.  I did find a few ruled Moleskines on clearance that I purchased.  I think the graph lines in my current journal make it look a little cluttered and make it harder for me to see.  This could just be my vision issues causing a problem.  My current journal is not a Moleskine.

The BJ forces me to tackle things I would rather put off because it is annoying to migrate items for 3 days in a row.  I also love checking things off - makes me feel productive. :-) I'm glad I inserted the monthly calendar pages - the one page vertical layout would not have worked for me.  I haven't started collection pages yet - I've mostly been using it as a daily calendar.  Love the freedom of using as much space as I need for a particular day.

Thanks to the OP for linking the Bullet Journal on these forums - I think I finally found something that will work for me.

I'm really enjoying mine, but I need to get better about referencing it throughout the day. I'm thinking about doing a bullet style journal for my homeschool planning for the next year. Supplies to buy, possible schedules, money spent so far, etc.  It probably won't be the only thing I use, but I have so many random ideas/notes running through my head I need to get them down somewhere.

I went to sleep the other night with some ideas for how to use the bullet journal for homeschool planning, but I had forgotten all of my ideas by the time that I woke up the next morning!  I keep telling myself to get my personal bullet journal going before starting a new one   :)

I've just discovered another use for mine.  All those great quotes and beautiful pictures that I find online?  Yeah, they're going in there.  So now my bullet journal is a calendar, planner, water and vitamin tracker, spending record, note receptacle, and an inspirational photo album. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I found a grid-style journal in the clearance section today and decided to jump on the bullet journal train. I still plan to use Google Calendar and Mynd for keeping track of appointments so I can set alarms, but I hope this will help me with ongoing tasks and making sure I get to all my to-dos that don't necessarily have a set due date.

I only lurked and didn't chime in on the other thread. But I did start a bullet journal and it has changed my life. Previously I had dozens of partially-filled spiral notebooks floating around the house, as well as scraps of paper, envelopes, edges of bills or letters, anything I could write on, covered with lists and notes. When I want to remember something I write it down. But I always had a problem finding where I wrote it when I needed the information or list. The bullet journal has been an amazingly simple and uncomplicated answer to this problem. My purse no longer has random scraps of paper with scrawled lists and numbers and notes spewing out every time I search for my keys. No more frantically flipping through the pages of multiple notebooks looking for the info I need? It's been a game-changer for me!

I made a daily list and laminated it with packing tape and then tabbed it. This is so I can cross off every day with a dry erase marker. I have sort of a thing for my daily list. Some days it is the one thing standing between me and chaos, or maybe total mental breakdown.

Brilliant, thank you! (ETA: I laminated my weekly & monthly cleaning list.)

I love my BJ! It satisfies my need for endless list making. Have an idea? Just turn the page & start a list! Unfortunately, I've developed a bit of a washi tape addiction. :D

Brilliant, thank you! (ETA: I laminated my weekly & monthly cleaning list.)

I love my BJ! It satisfies my need for endless list making. Have an idea? Just turn the page & start a list! Unfortunately, I've developed a bit of a washi tape addiction. :D

I know, me too! Costco list, check! Sewing que? Check! Dinner ideas? Yep! What day did I mail that card?? Ah, yes. Right here! What did the insurance company say the day I called? Of course, a whole lot of nothing :lol:

All in one book!

I lost my first one, so I bought a much cuter and sturdier one. I love it! I sat for an hour and poured out all of the stuff that I had buzzing around in my head. On the days when I am accomplishing things, I sit in the evening and check off what has been accomplished, make notes of tasks that need attention, put events into my calendar, and plan for the next day.

It's such a relief to have it all down, organized and accessible, and not have to worry about everything.

My bullet journal is such a bully taskmaster. I had to call a customer service rep this evening. I hate talking on the phone, but it was on my daily task list so I had to do it. This is exactly the kind of to-do that I tend to jot down and then avoid and ignore as long as possible—and now it's checked off and done! The bullet journal may not be able to make me do anything, but there is something about this format that is just enough of a change in perspective that I feel compelled to get things done.

• 4 months later...

LOL! I was just about to start a thread asking for updates!

I'm loving mine; there were a couple months that I didn't use it much & it's because of the monthly calendar. I'd been drawing a gridded calendar myself, but that got tiring so a new month would come & I wouldn't want to do it so I wouldn't. I've glued a grid month calendar in for this month, but I don't like that it makes that page thicker.  I think for 2015, I'm going to use a small Arc planner from Staples & use their monthly pages & just grid paper for the rest.

I'm still using it.  I started a second book recently.

I do find that if I lose it on my desk or otherwise don't consult/update it daily, things fall apart quickly.

My daughter goes through it now and then and puts cute stickers on some of the pages.  Fun to encounter them when I get to that page.

My Thanksgiving plan is up and running there.  Much better than having information scattered on random pieces of paper as I have done in the past.

I definitely don't get as much done when I don't make my lists. I recently started my daily heading (November 15) and wandered away, leaving it on the table for a few days.  :o DD found it, then filled it out the rest of the way through to November 19 complete with a list of checkboxes under each heading. Yay copywork! :lol:

Speaking of which, time to make my lists and get something checked off for today...

Interesting.

There was a time before I became addicted to my smartphone when I would have jumped at this type of analog journal.

Now, I just think to myself that I have all these wonderful apps for calendars, grocery lists, memos, contacts, etc., and I honestly think I could never go back to using a "real" journal/planner.

I'd still love to see your pics, however. :001_smile:

Gina, I am with you on the electronic calendar and contacts.  If I lost my phone I wouldn't know where to go when or who to call to meet me there.  

That said, one thing that I do like about paper is it gives a much better graphic representation of time.  It helps me keep better margins in my day (when I might get too busy) and to cluster together things that will make me more efficient.  Admittedly, this is less necessary now that I am essentially retired and all I have to juggle is a few appointments a month and a lot of church stuff.  

I write a lot, and that just goes in the journal.  The index was a brilliant idea, as was the fact that I am allowed not to use every last page in the book.  I can skip a few and leave room to collect all my thoughts in one spot, even if they happen to occur over the period of a few weeks.  

Interesting.

There was a time before I became addicted to my smartphone when I would have jumped at this type of analog journal.

Now, I just think to myself that I have all these wonderful apps for calendars, grocery lists, memos, contacts, etc., and I honestly think I could never go back to using a "real" journal/planner.

I'd still love to see your pics, however. :001_smile:

Gina, I am with you on the electronic calendar and contacts.  If I lost my phone I wouldn't know where to go when or who to call to meet me there.  

That said, one thing that I do like about paper is it gives a much better graphic representation of time.  It helps me keep better margins in my day (when I might get too busy) and to cluster together things that will make me more efficient.  Admittedly, this is less necessary now that I am essentially retired and all I have to juggle is a few appointments a month and a lot of church stuff.  

I write a lot, and that just goes in the journal.  The index was a brilliant idea, as was the fact that I am allowed not to use every last page in the book.  I can skip a few and leave room to collect all my thoughts in one spot, even if they happen to occur over the period of a few weeks.  

MINE IS MISSING!!!!! I took it out of my purse one day and it just disappeared! I feel so lost!!!! :mad:

I would cry! One of the things I love about mine is that it gives me a place to keep memories...like I might tape in a ticket stub and then write about how much fun we had etc.

Hope you find it!

I use mine everyday. My biggest challenge now is that one planner won't last all year. I started a new one in July and it won't be full by the end of December. But I want to start one fresh in January because not all of my second semester school stuff will fit in my current one. So, I'm having angst about leaving about 50 blank pages in the planner.  :lol:

I'm struggling with the ethereal don't care idea that my planner doesn't have to be broken down neatly into six month increments and my orderly self thinking that it would be easier to reference in the future. Such problems.  :coolgleamA:

So glad I stumbled on this thread. I went the website, read it and watched the video, then showed it to DH when he got home, and DH and DS watched it together again. Now all three of us have one. DH modified his work notebook (he's a product design engineer) retroactively and is keeping us apprised of how it works on the job. DS(8) is doing it and copying down the next day's school workplan and chores from the chore chart as bullets. He's even taking little notes in there, which I find adorable. And I love this way of having a spot to dump my thoughts all in one place, rather than random scraps of paper that get lost. And I like the idea that it will be a nice little historical record for me and my days. 

It might sound odd, but I find this was the greatest or a least most glaring gap in my own homeschool education. Learning how to keep a schedule/calendar/appointment/notes. I just never learned it. And I got by okay in college only because I studied well enough that a forgotten quiz date wasn't so big a deal. But as a mom. Oh my. It's bad. And I feel like I might have been better had I gone to a brick and mortar school with the responsibility of keeping track of dates and learning to take notes. 

I'm interested to see if this sticks for all/some/none of the three of us. 

I'm still using mine and I love it!  I've not had very much to write down daily, but I love checking off that "work" box and the "school" box.  And I still add quotes or whatnot, too, which makes it pretty to look back through.  And even though it's not full, I have already ordered my next one from Amazon to start in January.  I'm going with green this time!  Green in 2015!!   :-D

I still love my bullet journal! I'm still trying to find the perfect blend of electronic & paper organization, though. We use Google Calendar for all appointments and menu planning almost exclusively. It was a pain to write everything down in multiple places so I stopped writing appointments in my journal and I'm phasing out the family wall calendar.

The bullet journal is where I keep track of things, like who to call, their phone number, and what the conversation was about, as well as to do items. This has been invaluable when I need to refer back to something, such as a medication change for a family member or when the roofers started working. I have ongoing lists of things to be done each week, month, and sometimes under a category. For example, I have a home projects page, a sewing in progress page, and have recently started a Thanksgiving planning page.

Can anyone post pics of how they're using their washi tape to decorate/organize their journal?

I use washi tape as page tabs for important pages that I reference frequently. Similar to this: Page tabs

When I start a fresh page, I also tear off a piece of tape & put it across the top or down the side. Similar to this: Side washi

I've been using mine daily since June, and can't be without it! I invested in a leather travelers notebook from Etsy, and I keep three Moleskine Cahier notebooks in it. I use a gridded Cahier for the bullet journal (primarily to do and planning lists), and ruled Cahiers for a commonplace book and an "Inquire Within" book (family and household management notes).

I like the idea of using the washi tape to make tabs.

Oh man, I have been reading all this and looking at links and videos for two days now!  :lol:

I have always been an office supply addict anyway. I am trying to figure out how to customize something like this for myself. I don't really have much as far as "to do" or scheduled events. I mostly like to keep quotes (commonplace book stuff), a journal of events and thoughts, track my food and exercise, and keep lists of ideas (things to buy, home decorating ideas, books read and to read, etc.)  Right now, I am thinking of keeping my commonplace book separate and trying to organize the other stuff into one notebook. I just love the idea of all my scattered stuff being in one neat notebook. My OCD tendencies are really getting in the way though, and not sure I'll ever figure it out.

Has anyone used a spiraldex in their bullet journal? I've seen several variations and links to printable ones on Pinterest and think it's an interesting idea for tracking time spent on various activities or appointments. There are examples and an explanation at the link above.

This is really cool! Do you mind sharing links to the printable templates?

I didn't pay attention to the first bullet journal thread, but this one popped up at the perfect time for me.  I am at the point where I have given an all-digital system a fair chance (over 6 mos!), and was trying to figure out how to continue tweaking it to work for me.  The bullet journal is intriguing enough that I'm going to give it a go.  I'm using a Piccadilly 5x8 notebook (looks like a Moleskine) which only had two pages used, so no financial investment is a bonus!

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate Mystie's interval planning into the bullet journal format.  I want to be able to plan an interval level that is not necessarily one month in duration.

Thanks to all of you for posting how you are using your bullet journals.  I've gotten some good ideas from y'all!

This came at just the right time for me.  I was getting frustrated at how the hours/days would slip away without me really making much progress on my many goals.  I remember seeing the posts about the bullet journal a few months back & thinking what's the big deal?  Well, when relooking at the idea & thinking of combining it with the idea of internal planning, it looks to be a great fit for me.  I use an A5 size grid-style planner (from tinyme.com.au) for my day-to-day commitments, but couldn't seem to get it to work for longer term goals.  I dug out an A5 size graph paper notebook to trial as a bullet journal.  It works great!  I have accomplished more in the past 3 days than I got done in the past 3 weeks.  As both books are A5 size I can easily fit them in my purse when I go out.  

I've organised my bullet journal in this way:

pg 1 --- left blank in case I want to use it as a table of contents

pg 2 --- interval dates (20 Nov - 31 Dec 2014)

• Focus Habit = Daily 15 minute Declutter
  • Project 1 = Sort/Sell excess HS/ing gear
  • Project 2 = Tidy Lounge boxes
  • Project 3 = 6 week Holiday Prep
  • Task 1 = sort P333 for summer
  • Task 2 = Tidy my closet / drawers
  • Task 3 = wash windows
  • Task 4 = Xmas Cards
  • Task 5 = File bills

Pg 3-8 = more detailed lists of what needs to be done to accomplish my projects / tasks

Pg 9 = lists of paperwork & bills to deal with (to be added to as they come up)

Pg 10+ = Daily "to do" lists  

Each evening I refer to my project/task detailed lists & choose ~10 things to get done that day.  #1 is always my 15 min declutter habit.  I also note down my daily weight & dinner menu.  Thursday I completed 4:10 of the items on my list.  Friday I completed 10:14 items.  Focusing on fewer smaller goals helps me to not get overwhelmed & simply give up.  I'm hoping my bullet journal helps me to keep sane & keep the house running while we get through the crazy stage of our home renovations.  

I've organised my bullet journal in this way:

pg 1 --- left blank in case I want to use it as a table of contents

pg 2 --- interval dates (20 Nov - 31 Dec 2014)

• Focus Habit = Daily 15 minute Declutter
  • Project 1 = Sort/Sell excess HS/ing gear
  • Project 2 = Tidy Lounge boxes
  • Project 3 = 6 week Holiday Prep
  • Task 1 = sort P333 for summer
  • Task 2 = Tidy my closet / drawers
  • Task 3 = wash windows
  • Task 4 = Xmas Cards
  • Task 5 = File bills

Pg 3-8 = more detailed lists of what needs to be done to accomplish my projects / tasks

Pg 9 = lists of paperwork & bills to deal with (to be added to as they come up)

Pg 10+ = Daily "to do" lists  

Each evening I refer to my project/task detailed lists & choose ~10 things to get done that day.  #1 is always my 15 min declutter habit.  I also note down my daily weight & dinner menu.  Thursday I completed 4:10 of the items on my list.  Friday I completed 10:14 items.  Focusing on fewer smaller goals helps me to not get overwhelmed & simply give up.  I'm hoping my bullet journal helps me to keep sane & keep the house running while we get through the crazy stage of our home renovations.  

Deb, thanks for posting the details of your journal.  You've given me more ideas for tweaking mine ;)

These threads have been such fun to read, and I have now wasted spent all kinds of time looking at tons of videos and blogs and pinterest boards. I've also wasted  spent all kinds of money on new journal books, pens, and that fancy tape.  :)

After all my serious research, I have decided that I will definitely need more than one book and a notepad. I am going to keep a nice notepad on my desk to jot random things down on throughout the day. Stuff I need to do or remember or whatever. I really have no desire to keep that kind of stuff permanently. I wanted my journal books to be things I'd want to keep and enjoy looking back on without having to wade through a bunch of "clean bathroom,""turn beans off at x time," etc. 

I am also planning to keep my commonplace book separate for now (I mostly just write down passages or quotes I like from books I am reading), but also put in it my own "writing." I like to do little stories, poems, "poetic prose," etc. on occasion. 

In my actual (very modified) bullet journal, if it is even a bullet journal at all, I plan to keep track of my health (exercise, headaches, hot flashes, sleep) on a monthly tracking chart. May add some other things as well. On my daily pages, I'd like to record the weather (which is crazy beautiful and warm here today after all that winter ick, btw!), perhaps what we have for supper, things that happened, books finished with a bit of commentary, movies watched, important news events, a gratitude section, and the like. Then I will also include lists, such as house decorating ideas, things to buy in the future, cleaning and exercise schedules, etc. Just gotta remember that index page. 

Now, I wonder how long this new, exciting idea will last me?  :rolleyes: