Menu

Bullet Journal Updates?

CAMom

It's been a month since the bullet journal thread! :)

I jumped on the bandwagon the week of April 20th and am loving it! It's keeping me better on track and serves as a place for me to dump my brain.

How are you all doing with it? Have you made any tweaks? Any pictures to share? :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a pic of my developing June Monthly log but the info could be read and it was too personal.

I have been "hitting" clearance sales for stickers, washi tape, boarders, scrapbooking paper. I have stuck with my original journal (new for me), although I did not create daily pages for a while.

My index since my last post has grown to include a debt list, June Master To Do, June Monthly, June daily. I may create a "Personal Injury" and a "Move" page.

I had a friend post on my FB a huge thank you; the bullet journal is a match for her ADD/ADHD brain and is the first system she's stuck with!

Two months, going well.  I got sticky index tabs and a regular stickie that moves with the day...those helped.  

The bullet journal works as well as any I have used in a long time, with less effort.  All the flaws in it are the same flaws I find with other systems--they can't MAKE me do my jobs.  

I love it. I have been a daily list-maker for years but never had a handle on the longterm projects or plans. The bullet journal works for me. I will be taking it with us to China this month to use as a trip journal :)

I'm using the gridded Moleskin I got at Staples. I keep the ribbon on that day's entry. I should put a sticky tab on the monthly spread---thanks for that suggestion, guys :)

I'm still using mine, too. I still love it. Just last night I was adding features. If I get a chance some day this week, maybe I'll take photos and write up an explanation.

I've passed on the website to the moms at park who were intrigued by mine.

Two months, going well. I got sticky index tabs and a regular stickie that moves with the day...those helped.

The bullet journal works as well as any I have used in a long time, with less effort. All the flaws in it are the same flaws I find with other systems--they can't MAKE me do my jobs.

Oh, I so hear you in this one!! I have more arrows pushing stuff forward than x's marking it done some days.

I love planning. It's the doing that I'm not so fond of. LOL

Curious?  What is this referring to?  (To what is this referring? :)

Bullet journal thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/510202-paper-planner-gals-have-you-seen-bullet-journals/

I'm still using mine but I've slipped a little in the past few weeks on doing daily pages and checklists. Haven't even started June pages yet! Maybe I'll take doing that and turn it into a reboot. :) Definitely I get a lot more done when I am using it, and I love the little journally notes I can include, from when I planted the potatoes to what we did on our little mini-vacation.

I have a sticky tab for this months spread, one for where I keep track of my weight, one for my current shopping list, one for future dates, and one for current coupons. I have the current coupons clipped with a paper clip to the first page.

Great idea on the coupons!  I am forever forgetting my coupons at home.

I'm still using mine and love it.  I've branched out a bit and have started including quotes that I like and even pictures from time to time.

Mine started out wonderful and then we got the call to take a friend to the hospital, we were with her as her husband(54) died unexpectedly.

My bullet journal became the funeral guide book for her family and myself as we helped her prepare for a Fireman's funeral and all the pomp and such that goes with that.

Honestly, I can't bear to pick it up again.

I think I need a new book and a fresh outlook.  It's ok, to file a notebook away when you can't deal with it at the moment, right!?  Part of me feels it is wasteful and I should keep using it, or at least rip out the pages and move on.  But I just can't.

I did enjoy using it up to that day, however.

Mine started out wonderful and then we got the call to take a friend to the hospital, we were with her as her husband(54) died unexpectedly.

My bullet journal became the funeral guide book for her family and myself as we helped her prepare for a Fireman's funeral and all the pomp and such that goes with that.

I think I need a new book and a fresh outlook. It's ok, to file a notebook away when you can't deal with it at the moment, right!? Part of me feels it is wasteful and I should keep using it, or at least rip out the pages and move on. But I just can't.

:grouphug:

Of course you can file it away.

Get a new book, in a nice, bright, happy color for summer.

I think I need a new book and a fresh outlook. It's ok, to file a notebook away when you can't deal with it at the moment, right!? Part of me feels it is wasteful and I should keep using it, or at least rip out the pages and move on. But I just can't.

(((Hugs))) Amy. I would think filing that one away would be a perfectly fine thing to do. Maybe one day, you can take out your personal pages in the beginning and present it to your friend, maybe with notes you have written in remembrance of her dh. But buying a new journal and starting again is completely understandable.

I never got through the whole thread, but when the idea popped up again in my FB feed, I decided to try it. I just started but it's great for getting all sorts of ideas out of my head and on paper. I use iCal for all scheduled events, which syncs between dh and me. But I needed a place to start organizing ideas and to-do lists. I wrote out the June calendar, but I need to play with it a bit. I might not include a calendar at all, or something. I just feel right now it would be redundant with iCal. What would you use the calendar portion of a Bullet Journal if you already used Google or iCal or such for scheduled appointments/events?

I think I need a new book and a fresh outlook.  It's ok, to file a notebook away when you can't deal with it at the moment, right!?  Part of me feels it is wasteful and I should keep using it, or at least rip out the pages and move on.  But I just can't.

It's not wasteful to file it away and start a new one. :grouphug:

I never got through the whole thread, but when the idea popped up again in my FB feed, I decided to try it. I just started but it's great for getting all sorts of ideas out of my head and on paper. I use iCal for all scheduled events, which syncs between dh and me. But I needed a place to start organizing ideas and to-do lists. I wrote out the June calendar, but I need to play with it a bit. I might not include a calendar at all, or something. I just feel right now it would be redundant with iCal. What would you use the calendar portion of a Bullet Journal if you already used Google or iCal or such for scheduled appointments/events?

I don't include the calendar page each month. My events are all on Google calendar so that dh can see them.

I use the bullet journal with a two page spread per week. I have a weekly to do list (also serves as a running to do list), a bills to pay section, a notes and thoughts section, and a gratitude section. I usually have it open to the right week on my desk during the day or nightstand at night so I can jot down anything that pops into my head. :-)

Thanks Ladies,

I'm going to tuck it away into my hope chest and maybe later on, I will be able to go through it.  I dont want to toss it in case there is info I need to look up later on.  When I go into the city, I'm going to purchase a pretty new book, something red and shiny looking.  

MyLittleWonders, I understand what you mean by redundant.   I used my BJ similar to my old Dayrunner.  I would use my calendar in the Dayrunner to list all the birthdays/anniversaries.  When you send a card 5-6 days before the birthday, I would cross the birthday lightly off.  Also, if I sent a thinking of you card, I would mark it down.  This helped me track when I was sending things and make sure I was more consistent.  My family uses a huge family calendar on the side of the fridge and I take pictures of it with my ipad which I carry to appointments.  This helps me to quickly see when I have other appointments already on that day.  So, using my BJ as my calendar, seemed a waste of time.

I don't include the calendar page each month. My events are all on Google calendar so that dh can see them.

I use the bullet journal with a two page spread per week. I have a weekly to do list (also serves as a running to do list), a bills to pay section, a notes and thoughts section, and a gratitude section. I usually have it open to the right week on my desk during the day or nightstand at night so I can jot down anything that pops into my head. :-)

Great idea on the two-page weekly spread. I loved your pictures on your blog, but your description helps me "see" it, ironically. ;)

Love love love the bullet journal. The past few days I've been on vacation and it's the first time I haven't used it in two months. I have untreated ADD! This is huge for me! No other planner in a very long history of me and planners has been so consistently used for this long. I had a planner I used for school assignments when I went to school but nothing that pulled together all parts of my life in a single book. I have to admit, a big part of it is that it's so pretty. I get to decorate it, doodle in it, make notes, use stickers, whatever I want.

Ok, tweeks for how I use it:

I made a Year At a Glace spread where I simply wrote out the remaining months of this year with space for each one. If something needs to be added, it goes in that space. When I set up a new month, I migrate everything from that spread to the new month. On my month spread, I set up the month they way they say to on the left and on the right I have just a general To Do list. If something needs to be done but doesn't have a specific time it needs to be done, it gets added to the master to do list. I refer to it often so that those tasks get moved to the daily to do lists as needed. I added an envelope/pocket thing I bought in the scrapbook section to the inside cover. I tuck things in there as needed and don't forget about them because they poke out the top.

The big issue is that no book will ever make you get off your butt and DO what you need to do. But with my bullet journal, for the first time I'm actually saying to myself, "No, you have to get it done. It's on your to do list." Because it's not just some list on a wipe off board or a coffee stained napkin. It's my bullet journal. It's a permanent record of what I've done. But it's friendly and nice and cute and doesn't guilt trip me when I'm feeling lazy for a day. I just put my little down arrows and tomorrow is another day. My kids remind me of stuff and now I say, "It's on my to do list." And they actually know that I'll get it done now!

Nothing is too minor that it doesn't go on my to do list. Sometimes only a few things for the day. Sometimes it looks like a lot because I will split tasks like a load of laundry (wash, dry, put away each on their own line because for the ADD mind, any time you leave a task, going back to it is a new task). To do stuff is in black ink and I often write notes about the day in colored ink off to the side.

For anyone setting one up I recommend you get washi tape (Hobby Lobby and Michaels both have it on sale frequently), a set of colorful pens or very fine markers and stickers and/or die cuts of some sort if you don't like doodling/drawing. Ok, I was going to add pictures but I can't upload them? They have to be a link from some other site?

Ooh, I'd love to see pictures with decorations. Right now I'm using pencil in mine so I can erase if needed. I bought a Clairefontain medium sized (think composition book size) grid notebook and a nice suede-like violet cover. But the inside is plain. And an excuse for washi tape (I've wanted some but have no idea what I'd do with it) would be nice. ;)

Ooh, I'd love to see pictures with decorations. Right now I'm using pencil in mine so I can erase if needed. I bought a Clairefontain medium sized (think composition book size) grid notebook and a nice suede-like violet cover. But the inside is plain. And an excuse for washi tape (I've wanted some but have no idea what I'd do with it) would be nice. ;)

I'll email you a couple pics if you want to pm me your email address. I can't figure out how to post them.

I agree in washi tape, colored pens, etc. Make it pretty!

I haven't listed my supplies...they might overwhelm the uninitiated ;), but this Bullet Journal thing satisfies my umm, rather juvenile :blush: colored pen, stickers, and office supplies addiction.

I use colored ink pens, smelly markers, and as of yesterday, wet erase markers in my Bullet Journal. They each have their own purpose. :)

And because I carry a case with my journal supplies with my journal, I did have a nice mini roll of rainbow duct tape at the park a couple weeks ago. Duct tape that another Mom found handy to fix her child's broken shoe. LOL Who knew my Bullet Journal would come in handy in a shoe emergency?

I agree in washi tape, colored pens, etc. Make it pretty!

I haven't listed my supplies...they might overwhelm the uninitiated ;), but this Bullet Journal thing satisfies my umm, rather juvenile :blush: colored pen, stickers, and office supplies addiction.

I use colored ink pens, smelly markers, and as of yesterday, wet erase markers in my Bullet Journal. They each have their own purpose. :)

And because I carry a case with my journal supplies with my journal, I did have a nice mini roll of rainbow duct tape at the park a couple weeks ago. Duct tape that another Mom found handy to fix her child's broken shoe. LOL Who knew my Bullet Journal would come in handy in a shoe emergency?

I'd love to make mine more pretty, but I can't figure out how to carry around a bunch of pens and stickers and stuff.  What do you use to carry everything?

I'd love to make mine more pretty, but I can't figure out how to carry around a bunch of pens and stickers and stuff. What do you use to carry everything?

Well, I have two pens. Those Bic ones with four colors. One black/blue/red/dark green, one pink/purple/teal/lime green. The smelly markers I don't carry - I only use them after the fact for color coding (diyfish lifemapping), and I don't carry all my tape. Stickers were just binder clipped to back cover until I added a pocket yesterday that I "stole" from an old planner and duct taped it to the inside cover of my book.

I just have it in a freebie pencil case. One of those cheap plastic ones that has holes so it can be stored in a binder.

I really need to take pictures.

I'd love to make mine more pretty, but I can't figure out how to carry around a bunch of pens and stickers and stuff.  What do you use to carry everything?

I only carry the journal and black pen. The decorating happens at home when I have time, usually while doing something else. It's something I enjoy.

I have google calendar too and I just printed out a couple of months of google calendar and cut it to the right size and pasted it into the back of my passport size journal.  Then it just folds out and I can add things to it.  I also printed out a yearly calendar that fits on one sheet and pasted it in so I can look up any dates as needed.

I still need to set up the daily stuff but that's what I have so far. 

I have used mine once. I got so much done! My goodness, what a difference!

We have down time right now. I set aside my school planner, which has my calendar in it. I just am not getting anything done. I need to clean out my planner, make a summer plan, and get my BJ back into the mix. I'm sure I could handle all the (hands flapping helplessly) stuff if I had a plan.

Still loving mine, and finding it profoundly more useful than other methods I've tried.

I fashioned my own cheaper (and admittedly much less cute and functional) version of this using duct tape: https://www.etsy.com/listing/190519525/leather-journal-pen-band-holder-pencil?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=Pen+and+pencil+holder+for+journal&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

ETA: But I did use CUTE duct tape! :D And it is pretty functional. Just not as nice as a leather or cloth one.

And I've also got tabs marking my monthly page and my daily page so that they are easy to find.

Oh, I'm still using mine too.  I {puffy, pink heart} it.  I don't write in it every day (and I feel guilty on the days I don't!), but I use it most days, and find that I actually finish the things if they're written down.  Mine isn't pretty, because I think tape and colors and whatnot would too distracting for *me* and I'd get caught up in all the prettiness. ;)

James Bond flipped through it, and said he thinks it might be a good idea for him too.  I'm slowly turning him to the "Hive side." 

I lurked in the original thread but did not join in-- that thread and stumbling on some other bullet journal resources convinced me to add a few elements to what I've already been doing for a few years.  The additions have been great, giving me some direction, intention, and tracking bits I was missing before.  I use a couple nice pens, a blank moleskine in a lovely Oberon tooled leather cover that just begs to be touched...the tactile pleasures really help me keep up with it.  Considering adding some monthly printable calendar pages so that I can also see more distant future events more easily.

Set it aside as a memorial.

New notebooks are cheap. Friendships list aren't. I'm sorry for your loss

Oh, I'm still using mine too. I {puffy, pink heart} it. I don't write in it every day (and I feel guilty on the days I don't!), but I use it most days, and find that I actually finish the things if they're written down. Mine isn't pretty, because I think tape and colors and whatnot would too distracting for *me* and I'd get caught up in all the prettiness. ;)

James Bond flipped through it, and said he thinks it might be a good idea for him too. I'm slowly turning him to the "Hive side."

I started one for DH a couple weeks ago when we went on a day trip. Numbered his pages, set up his index, made his first month page, had him dictate his to-dos to me while he drove. He did take it to work and I haven't seen it since, so I have no idea if he actually USES it or not or if he carries it in his backpack. :) "Start a bullet journal" was one more thing on his to-do list that wasn't happening while they're in work-up mode.

I made a daily list and laminated it with packing tape and then tabbed it. This is so I can cross off every day with a dry erase marker. I have sort of a thing for my daily list. Some days it is the one thing standing between me and chaos, or maybe total mental breakdown.

Interesting.

There was a time before I became addicted to my smartphone when I would have jumped at this type of analog journal.

Now, I just think to myself that I have all these wonderful apps for calendars, grocery lists, memos, contacts, etc., and I honestly think I could never go back to using a "real" journal/planner.

I'd still love to see your pics, however. :001_smile:

Oh please share what you are doing with it!

I used a Franklin planner for years, so I incorporated some of that. I've also been making my own planner for the last few years, finally stumbling onto just using a Moleskine and writing in my own dates. I started back in October. 

I do a monthly page with calendar on one side - open page on the other for monthly notes. For the week, I do 2 days per page, so 4 on a 2 day spread. After Sunday I put another weekly section. 

Since the Bullet Journal discussion, I've started putting more in the planner. I still have a separate one for homeschooling, but my reading lists, random notes, wardrobe notes (I'm working on Project 333), and certain other notes that would have been on random sheets of paper before. I put those in the back of the book, filling it up from back toward the front. 

When I start my new planner in August, I'll probably put some more stuff in the front, like a TOC and I'll number my pages. I like having the consistent size for daily information, some days I use it all, some days I don't. 

Interesting.

There was a time before I became addicted to my smartphone when I would have jumped at this type of analog journal.

Now, I just think to myself that I have all these wonderful apps for calendars, grocery lists, memos, contacts, etc., and I honestly think I could never go back to using a "real" journal/planner.

I'd still love to see your pics, however. :001_smile:

I've found wonderful apps for Calendar and Contacts

But nothing electronic works for me for To-Dos and journalling so that's how I'm using my Bullet Journal

I use the monthly calendar more for a journal function (looking back later to see this is what happened this month) and a "major events hardscape at-a-glance" rather than as a reminder and planner. Eg. an out-of-town trip is on there. "Karate class" and "group playdate" are not. Those things are only in iCal from which I copy them to my daily list as a reminder.

I've found wonderful apps for Calendar and Contacts

But nothing electronic works for me for To-Dos and journalling so that's how I'm using my Bullet Journal

I use the monthly calendar more for a journal function (looking back later to see this is what happened this month) and a "major events hardscape at-a-glance" rather than as a reminder and planner. Eg. an out-of-town trip is on there. "Karate class" and "group playdate" are not. Those things are only in iCal from which I copy them to my daily list as a reminder.

I agree with both of these comments :)

CAMom~ Your journal looks so clean and neat. Thanks for the link to Aprons 'n Pearls.

My bullet journal is a mess, but I am using it. I use more as a daily reminder of things to do. I also use it to take notes when I am on the phone, so I keep phone numbers and all kinds of other stuff in my journal. I added a calendar, but I don't use it much. I do date each page and have a sticky tab that I move to each new page as needed. I wanted to get a journal with graph paper, but I need to use up the notebook I have now. The graph paper would really help keep the journal neat.

I also use Google Calendar to keep track of bill paying (household and work) and events. I also use OneNote for school planning, but the journal goes everywhere with me and doesn't require electricity. 

CAMom~ Your journal looks so clean and neat. Thanks for the link to Aprons 'n Pearls.

My bullet journal is a mess, but I am using it. I use more as a daily reminder of things to do. I also use it to take notes when I am on the phone, so I keep phone numbers and all kinds of other stuff in my journal. I added a calendar, but I don't use it much. I do date each page and have a sticky tab that I move to each new page as needed. I wanted to get a journal with graph paper, but I need to use up the notebook I have now. The graph paper would really help keep the journal neat.

I also use Google Calendar to keep track of bill paying (household and work) and events. I also use OneNote for school planning, but the journal goes everywhere with me and doesn't require electricity. 

I need a more neat and clean look because I am so easily distracted. :lol:

One reason I like keeping a paper planner/journal is so that my kids have something to look back on. Something with my handwriting and my thoughts. I think we're losing some of that in our age of technology. 

I love the things I have that are in my grandmother's hand-like her recipe cards. 

I think that's part of why I like the bullet journal so much. The way I've adapted it lends itself to see a bit of my personality along with my mundane tasks to be done.

I also have better success when I physically write something on paper. It's like it imprints it on my brain. When I type something into my computer or phone, it's much less likely to stick for me. :)