Menu

Summer Goals and 90 Day Plans

Is anyone making any 3 month summer goals or 90 day plans starting June 1st?

Here are my personal self-education goals:

Goal #1: Finish my Saxon Algebra 1 book by September 1st. 8 Lessons a week.

Goal #2: Read/Listen to the entire Bible with a 90 day plan and the NIV Live app.

Goal #3: Forget about anything formal for art and music and focus on nature study and being outdoors, and save the art/music focus for winter. Why do I make art/music schedules for summer, and nature study schedules for winter? Why don't I simplify and focus on what makes sense for the season?

Instead of making yearly plans, I'm thinking of trying out more intensive foci on fewer subjects. Then when the season is over making another 3 month plan for intensive study of just a few other subjects.

I like this idea, Hunter...I have also been thinking about seasonal goals and plans...I am working on plans to start next week, but am not done yet so don't have much to post :001_smile: ...I have plans to simplify our home and eating habits, finish a book I just started and part 2 of the book, plant some herbs to use during the summer fresh and dry and use during the winter...Those are goals for myself...For the boys, my oldest will continue to work on math, my youngest will continue to work on phonics, and my middle son will work on reading as well...

That is as far as I have gotten...I have been giving a lot of thought to switching to planning for the season (every three months) instead of an entire year at a time...

For me: couch to 5k training 3times/week...this is HARD for me! I'm having the kids a work right along with me. The youngers are doing the best they can, but I them my 14yo might actually run a 5k with me at some point. I can't keep up with her!

Also for me: 30 day abs challenge starting June 1

For the kids: some math a couple times/week, my oldest will finish Exploration Education physical science, and they will all read daily.

I've also instituted tickets instead of $$$ to encourage good attitudes, complete chores without being told or complaining, also for reading and memorizing scripture. They can spend their tickets to do fun stuff: pedicure, have friends spend the night, camp out, movie night, stay up late, ice cream, etc.

Our goals this summer:

For my oldest:  finish geometry.

For all of us:  learn both the hiragana and katakana alphabets and pick up enough Japanese vocabulary so that the textbooks aren't as hard.  Walk every day or almost every day so we are a little more fit.  Get out of the house and do some fun free things like local museums.

Hmm, visiting museums. I need to think about which seasons are best for visiting museums, and make those seasons the seasons I make visting them a priority.

Trying to do everything in every season isn't working for me. I'm setting myself up for failure when I do that. Endless lists that include activities that are seasonally innappropriate, are sure not to be completed.

September is a great museum month. The museums are empty of school children, but the weather is beautiful for travel.

I have used the Waldorf style planning method, and write down holidays and expenses, and schedule around them, but I have never marked down the seasonal differences, and have never scheduled things according the the unique weather and realities of each month, beyond the holidays.

And I tend to break books up into a LONG schedule, instead of finishing a book quicker and then starting another book in another subject. Saxon cannot handle scheduled mid-book breaks, but it is fine to finish a book and take a long break before starting the next one.

When my oldest used American School correspondence school, he didn't do all subjects all the time, and at the beginning I had a problem with that, but then embraced it for him. One skill course and one content course, and to do them intensively worked for him.

Waldorf Planning method using just a large piece of folded paper.

Plans for the summer include: going through all the bookcases and supply cabinets. Purging and cleaning up. Deciding on (and implementing) a chore system. spending 30 minutes on reading (this doubles as down time and lets the kids stay up later when it isn't so hot).

To visit Narnia.

Start an ancient Egypt study. This begins in3 weeks. We are using the heat of the summer to bake bricks outside and build a pyramid (I am SO excited for this!)

I'd like to start AAS with my oldest and get her up to level before school, but that will have to wait until after camps are over.

I am making changes to our school for the fall semester. Im just not sure what those changes will look like! I need to sit down with the materials I have and put together a working schedule. To make my library lists and get copies made (all of that mustbe done in town. Summer is a great time to do it)

We start Summer Term on Monday. As a family we are scheduled to:

play a board game daily

participate in ICAD- http://daisyyellow.squarespace.com/icad/

Reading daily 

Math 3x a week

Learn to make a minecraft mod together

DD and I are going to scan thousands of family photos (2 hours a week)

(that falls under ugh. so I'm scheduling it in, or it will never get done)

Summer Term is unusually light for us this year. We almost always do full on school. My part time job is going to require almost full time hours so we are cutting back. We are taking a week in June for a vacation and a week in August to take son #3 to school.

We will use this schedule until Labor Day.

Egypt unit study for summer, while the sun is hot enough to bake bricksĂ¢â‚¬â€œI love it!

The only time I use the word "rigor" with students is when reading the KJV Bible in the section where the Hebrew slaves were making bricks without straw.

And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour. Exodus 1:14 KJV

On this board, any mention of Egypt makes me smile, and when people talk about having the children make bricks, I  :smilielol5:

Unit studies certainly lend themselves to seasonal scheduling.

Don't get lost/miss trains in my trip with DS in France (DH is my logistics guy and he won't be coming).

Do a pond unit study

Identify some trees on our property now that leaves are out(this is more work than it sounds. I have never owned nor identified trees before but I have a book on trees of New York).

Prepare history, geography and science for fall.

Do a little more with my DD now that she turned 3 :)

Egypt unit study for summer, while the sun is hot enough to bake bricksĂ¢â‚¬â€œI love it!

The only time I use the word "rigor" with students is when reading the KJV Bible in the section where the Hebrew slaves were making bricks without straw.

And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour. Exodus 1:14 KJV

On this board, any mention of Egypt makes me smile, and when people talk about having the children make bricks, I  :smilielol5:

Unit studies certainly lend themselves to seasonal scheduling.

My kiddos would enjoy baking bricks.  Other rigorous tasks...notsomuch.

My summer plan tends to revolve around things that I find impossible to do during the rest of the year.  It usually involves projects that take unusually long blocks of time such as culling the bookshelves, purging the basement stuff, simplifying our lives, establishing routines for housework and staying-alive tasks, and planning (dare I say, plotting?) out the school year. 

Did someone mention a HUGE picture scanning task?  I think that is also on my list of things to do. SO (not) looking forward to that! :-)  But, it must be done so I can get rid of many boxes of pictures and scrapbooking supplies I am NEVER going to use (don't hate me all you crafty types!).   Someone else mentioned exercise (ouch!).  (Sadly) that is also on my list, too.  So basically, summer goals are kind of like eating your veggies--it's really good for you and you'll be glad you did it because your life will be so much better, but not so much fun in the actual doing.  (Well, I plan to read a lot of books--so that's kind of like eating dessert!)

I've got about four weeks of summer left.

Most of my goals involve sleeping and not melting into a puddle as the mercury climbs. Some people hibernate in the winter. I'd just as soon crawl in a cave until September rolls around.

In about two weeks I'll start getting serious about school planning again. For now, not so much.

We need to get over this bug first, but....

Little ds (rising first grader): I want to focus on reading and "homeschool like it's 1999" with lots of fun games made with 3 X 5 cards.

Me: cut back on internet time, keep vents (however cute and clever) about negative circumstances confined to a diary because nobody wants to look at that poop, continue working on negative attitude towards housework as well as housework itself, exercise program, bring dd's old copy of "Thus spoke Zarathustra" to Park Day and pretend to be engrossed in it until current controversy resolves itself.

My summer goals are

1. Catalog our books.

2. Be wedding coordinator, reception hostess (our backyard), and food planner for my brother's wedding in June.

3. Finish writing my Simplified Organization course.

Plus I am working on shoring up our non-school routines (chores, afternoon quiet reading time, etc.) so that when we get back to lessons it's not a total shock to our systems. :)

Monday starts our summer session. We are taking the summer off from memory work, dropping geography, adding history, replacing music appreciation with singing, slowing down phonics, and dipping our toes into Spanish. DS will also have swimming lessons.

June is going to be Good Habits Month at our house, including trying a wheat-free, dairy-free diet for DS and me.

We get to register with the state on or after July 1 :party:

Tree identification--Ugh! It's easier in the fall most of the time, with the colored leaves. Also pay attention to any flowers and fruit, throughout the year.

Sometimes we just use the Detective Worksheets in whatever the name of that curriculum is, without actually naming the species. I read a nature study book that once said to delay telling children the names of organisms, because they lose interest in something as soon as they know it's name. So I figure it's okay if we don't know the name, but are growing in our observation skills and basic indentification vocabulary.

Maybe it's Considering God's Creation. I think that might be the name. You can get an eBook download now. All I use is the Detective Worsheets.

We get to register with the state on or after July 1 :party:

My ds will be an "official homeschooler" on October 15, 2014. I get it. :)

I lost all of my digital pictures. Something corrupted the drive I stored them on. All gone. Some of them were triple saved, but I guess I copied the corrupted files.

I always lose everything whether hardcopy or digital. Life has been eventful. I regulary have to start over with nothing. I can't say I've gotten used to it, but...I've had to learn to cope. I no longer spend time on collecting anything, because in my world it WILL disappear--guaranteed.

Homeschooling like 1999. :lol:

Today, a student was looking through some of my curriculum, and was SHOCKED at a 1995 handwriting workbook, where the author had handwritten the dotted letters.

I then pulled out a 1991 curriculum where the pages had been typewritten and then photocopied.

It wasn't that long ago, but things surely have changed a LOT. For all the flash and polish and expense and time spent on task, we are not accomplishing more. 

I lost all of my digital pictures. Something corrupted the drive I stored them on. All gone. Some of them were triple saved, but I guess I copied the corrupted files.

I always lose everything whether hardcopy or digital. Life has been eventful. I regulary have to start over with nothing. I can't say I've gotten used to it, but...I've had to learn to cope. I no longer spend time on collecting anything, because in my world it WILL disappear--guaranteed.

I didn't move from film until digital until little ds was conceived so now I have two boxes in my closet (one which is too heavy for me to get down by myself) and a three shelf bookshelf full of albums that I need to have XDH and his wife go through so and take everything they want and then I'm going to have a bonfire with the rest if I can figure out how to do so without poisoning the whole neighbourhood.

The grass isn't greener, it's just different grass.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So sorry about your pictures. I might have been able to save them for you but I'd have felt horrible getting your hopes up and then bumping up against the limits of my computer ability.

Exercise--it's a 3 mile daily round trip to get my mail and buy affordable food if I don't want to get on the train or a bus. Most of the trip is through parks and wealthy and very old residential neighborhoods, so it's all very CM and pleasant. Unless I want to squeeze on public transportation with sweaty people underground, exercise happens whether I want it to or not.

The wealthy neighborhoods make me laugh. Lack of parking is the great leveler. Today, there was this rich guy in his business suit with his daughter (about 4 or 5) on his hip, walking a LONG way to his car, with his anorexic and painted wife hobbling after him on her heels, both looking very uncomfortable and unhappy. Two streets away a shopping district runs parallel to this street, and the begging homeless looked much happier than these two.

Urban ecology fascinates me. I love to see what has taken root and shelter where. The climate from one street to another can be so different because of access to the sun and wind patterns though the architecture. Fascinating.

(1)  I signed up for Latin Intensive 1 with Harvey Center.  All of the first book of Latin for the New Millenium.  To paraphrase the website , this is not for the faint of heart!

(2) Master the 3000 most frequently used words in Danish.  By master, I mean be able to use them in a sentence.  Easily.

I didn't move from film until digital until little ds was conceived so now I have two boxes in my closet (one which is too heavy for me to get down by myself) and a three shelf bookshelf full of albums that I need to have XDH and his wife go through so and take everything they want and then I'm going to have a bonfire with the rest if I can figure out how to do so without poisoning the whole neighbourhood.

The grass isn't greener, it's just different grass.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So sorry about your pictures. I might have been able to save them for you but I'd have felt horrible getting your hopes up and then bumping up against the limits of my computer ability.

I still have the corrupted files, but...I'm not sure what is in there, and...well, :lol: I have been present and photographed some events, or been e-mailed pics that I saved, that I just need to be a little careful of, as they are of people that would be upset if they were seen.

Maybe a friend I know can find someone SHE trusts to see if anything can be salvaged. Sometimes when our lives overlap with the lives of others, things get complicated. Very complicated. Sometimes I feel like I lose freedom to do my own thing. Or even to decide the fate of my own possessions.

I'm very scared of leaving this house because I look like most people's preconceived idea of a homeless woman even though I'm not.

I do have a nice bicycle and age-appropriate trailer for ds and the shop I bought it from will do free safety checks and pump up the tires for me as soon as I get over this cold/flu enough to push it up a hill. We still have ds's outgrown baby trailer and enough time to practice before we hook up the "train" to pick up the 100 lbs of fruit I'm going to can on the 12th of this month. That should take care of the exercise program.

I don't have to worry about anyone calling CPS if they see ds out and about during school hours because he is not compulsory attendance age yet.

Escaping from the toxicity of a "prominent old Southern family" has been both my mother's and my own lifelong goals. I have a good chance of accomplishing that with little ds as long as I don't waste what's left of my life wallowing in self pity and prozac.

I started my 90 day Bible reading plan a day early. This is going to be a struggle for me. I might be better off just reading, than listening along, as it's less passive. On the back of my reading schedule I'm listing all the benefits of keeping to my plan, as I think of them. When I think of giving up or doing something else, I think it will help to read my list of reasons to stick to my scheduled plan.

Saxon lesson 27 problem 15 took me an hour to complete.  :banghead: . I have come smack dab up against the limits of my brain damage with this problem. It has nothing to do about not understanding the problem or what I need to do, but I struggle to see the big picture and hold all the pieces in my mind.

I felt the same way with this problem as when people ask me directions. The connections in my brain were severed. I cannot juggle and multitask and see the big picture like I used to.

I cannot believe my 5th grader was able to do this book, and it was these geometry problems that gave him the most trouble. I think his young brain struggled the same way my damaged one is struggling now. I wish I had not pushed him to keep up in all areas to his gifted strengths. I just didn't know better, though. These problems just looked long, not hard, then.

I am watching some Coursera classes.  I am not sufficiently motivated to buy/read the recommended texts in order to fully participate but am enjoying listening to the lectures.  The boys are watching AstroTech with me.  They claim they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t like it, but they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want me to watch the lectures without them. 

For the boys: read aloud sessions continue year round.  Summer math is informal Ă¢â‚¬â€œ reading BA guides, LOF, and games.  Supplies for science and art projects are available should anyone desire to use them. Otherwise, June and July are our off-months.  We have a week of day camp and a visit to my parents planned.  The libraryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s summer reading program starts on Monday.  The boys will participate in that, other library programs, swimming lessons, and parks programs.  Formal lessons resume in August.   

Hmm, we just finished Friday and may take all of June off.

Summer will at least be independent reading time, piano practice, math, catechism memory work and swimming.

I'd like to do some U.S. History. Labor Day will take us to the east coast so it will be a nice end of summer/history tie in.

Do you do any star watching in summer Hunter?

I really like the idea of nature study during summer & art/music in the winter. Actually, I love it & Im going to do it. This will be our first year trying a (modified) year round schedule. We will still take a whole week off in June, July & August. In addition to nature study we will continue with math 3x week, writing 3x week and grammar 2x week, and phonogram review. And of coarse continue reading & bible everyday.

Exercise--it's a 3 mile daily round trip to get my mail and buy affordable food if I don't want to get on the train or a bus. Most of the trip is through parks and wealthy and very old residential neighborhoods, so it's all very CM and pleasant. Unless I want to squeeze on public transportation with sweaty people underground, exercise happens whether I want it to or not.

The wealthy neighborhoods make me laugh. Lack of parking is the great leveler. Today, there was this rich guy in his business suit with his daughter (about 4 or 5) on his hip, walking a LONG way to his car, with his anorexic and painted wife hobbling after him on her heels, both looking very uncomfortable and unhappy. Two streets away a shopping district runs parallel to this street, and the begging homeless looked much happier than these two.

Urban ecology fascinates me. I love to see what has taken root and shelter where. The climate from one street to another can be so different because of access to the sun and wind patterns though the architecture. Fascinating.

Hunter,

We are finding that here in Chicago too. We walk just over a mile to get to the grocery store. Most of it is nice. Its a city neighborhood feeling walk. There is 1 block which we now go around that is pretty sketchy. Its so odd in the city how just 1 block can be completely different while being surrounded by middle class. 

While we were walking toward the store yesterday we noticed all the people coming home with their bags and carts full. Whether they went to Whole Foods and starbucks or Target and mcdonalds, we noticed that they all carried toilet paper. Ah, another  great leveler of society.

Hmm, we just finished Friday and may take all of June off.

Summer will at least be independent reading time, piano practice, math, catechism memory work and swimming.

I'd like to do some U.S. History. Labor Day will take us to the east coast so it will be a nice end of summer/history tie in.

Do you do any star watching in summer Hunter?

We have too much light pollution here to see any stars. We do a lot of moon watching though year round. You need to know a LOT about the moon to be able to locate it among the high rises.

My summer learning plan is in the link in my signature. I also have summer projects for around the house and for next school year. Here is the list of those. I won't have a full 90 days because we will start back full school by August 18th. 

House projects to clean out and organize:

Pantry 

Laundry Room

Freezer in Garage

Refrigerator

Our bedroom

Our bathroom cabinets

School area

Living Room Closet

Son's Closet 

Hall Closet

Our Closet

Garage

Kitchen Cabinets

School Projects:

Plan next school year (a rough outline by week)

Plan Book Club

Have my own retreat (videos loaned to me from a friend, find some stuff online, buy a lecture or two??)

Other:

Have a Yard Sale

Work on a better budget and money saving system

Establish a better cleaning system for the house utilizing more members of the household

Hunter,

We are finding that here in Chicago too. We walk just over a mile to get to the grocery store. Most of it is nice. Its a city neighborhood feeling walk. There is 1 block which we now go around that is pretty sketchy. Its so odd in the city how just 1 block can be completely different while being surrounded by middle class. 

While we were walking toward the store yesterday we noticed all the people coming home with their bags and carts full. Whether they went to Whole Foods and starbucks or Target and mcdonalds, we noticed that they all carried toilet paper. Ah, another  great leveler of society.

:smilielol5:

I don't have to cart TP home. One of my neighbors has Walmart deliver it to our building, and lets me take some. Such a nice friend/neighbor!

I used to buy it, by putting a single penny at a time into a self check out, at an expensive store near home. And my friend can NOT stand it when I do that even if my friend isn't there to see the line build up behind me, of rich annoyed people. Even a single roll takes a LOT of pennies at that store. I have the patience to do that; it's just everyone else that doesn't.

I have richer friends who don't use their pennies. It just seems the perfect thing to do with them--at least to ME. :lol:

I like the idea of setting summer goals.

For me

8 week summer Bible study

Read the newest book by my fav author

Locate all completed school books and list them for sale

Start an exercise challenge

Enjoy the beach

For DS

Finish 10th grade

Summer plans:

Speech therapy summer camp for youngest

Lots of pool time, including inviting friends over once or twice a week.

Handwriting practice/ copy work

Math games on iPad, computers

Reading from suggested book lists

DS wants to make a graphic novel on the computer.

For me:

Read most of History of the Medieval World

Complete professional continuing ed. for the year.

Fun reading, currently The Time Travelers Wife (again) :)

Exercise regularly!

ETA: Read CAP's The Art of Argument & Kuypers' The Zones of Regulation curriculum

We try to be very seasonal since we live in rural area, but sometimes it still gets messed up, like yesterday after std. testing was over we tried to go to a special garden, but the flowers there were done blooming even though where we live (a bit colder I guess) they still are in bloom. So, I guess one of my goals is to start an ongoing calendar of things to do that starts to tell me things like to try the special garden in March or April or maybe early May next year. I also missed the right time of year to get moss removal from my roof done. I think.

Personal goals: an exercise plan. A creative outlet. Social time.  Home repairs, maintenance and paperwork matters. Increasing vegetable juicing, and other health related activities.

Education goals for my son: writing and math to continue through summer. 

EC goals for my ds: Health related activities.   Build chicken coop extension, horseback riding, swimming. Chores. Social time.

It really is amazing how much less you stress over temporary financial hardships when you have a diva cup and a washing machine for "family cloth", lol.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

I won't need a diva cup for much longer, but my life would have been so different if I'd gotten one in my 20s instead of my 40s.

:smilielol5:

I don't have to cart TP home. One of my neighbors has Walmart deliver it to our building, and lets me take some. Such a nice friend/neighbor!

I used to buy it, by putting a single penny at a time into a self check out, at an expensive store near home. And my friend can NOT stand it when I do that even if my friend isn't there to see the line build up behind me, of rich annoyed people. Even a single roll takes a LOT of pennies at that store. I have the patience to do that; it's just everyone else that doesn't.

I have richer friends who don't use their pennies. It just seems the perfect thing to do with them--at least to ME. :lol:

I don't understand this. For a penny you get ... What exactly? Why do they sell it this way? Is it IN the restroom?

I've NEVER heard if this...

Instead of making yearly plans, I'm thinking of trying out more intensive foci on fewer subjects. Then when the season is over making another 3 month plan for intensive study of just a few other subjects.

Phenomenally awesome brilliant idea!

I'll add: I really struggle with the idea that my sons need to focus on blah, blah, blah academic stuff . . .  or my sons need to play and enjoy their summer.

But I don't like the idea of taking summer off. I think brain drain is real.

Add to that that I hate nature. I'm an indoor book person. So, the other day our neighbor came out of her house screaming that we have copperhead snakes in our backyard creek. DH calmly ignored her. I started to panic and then realized that I should research copperheads. So I got a ton of library books out and read and read and read about copperheads.

Sigh.

That's not really a healthy "outdoor" nature study though.

I'm rambling. Sorry! I love your idea of breaking down learning into seasons -- really nice idea!

Alley

I don't understand this. For a penny you get ... What exactly? Why do they sell it this way? Is it IN the restroom?

I've NEVER heard if this...

The rolls are over a dollar each. I just feed over 100 pennies into the machine one by one. Sometimes over 150 of them one at a time. Sometimes the machine cannot take that many pennies and cannot finish my purchase, which holds things up even longer. :lol:

I actually think its a great idea to keep breaking up planning into smaller chunks. It does seem freeing to just think a little bit ahead. Plus if the kids have a jump in skill level then you can tweak the next concentration of skills right there and then. This summer is about getting my youngest to put his thoughts on paper. I figure the index card a day isn't too intimidating. 

My building is being inspected tomorrow, and my apartment is on the list. I really need to get some of these piles of books off the floor, but don't know where to put them.

All I own for furniture is a couple folding tables and chairs and a piece of foam on the floor to sleep on. But there are bookcases everywhere and still piles of books on the floor. We are always being inspected here by one agency or another. And they always have comments about my apartment. "Yes, I read a lot!" JustĂ¢â‚¬â€œugh! People with brain damage and PTSD read, too, you know. They are supposed to be here to look at everything but my possessions. I want to say, "Just do your job and go away and mind your own business," but I don't.

The rolls are over a dollar each. I just feed over 100 pennies into the machine one by one. Sometimes over 150 of them one at a time. Sometimes the machine cannot take that many pennies and cannot finish my purchase, which holds things up even longer. :lol:

Rotfl! This us not what I "saw". I couldn't figure out why you had to pay fortoilet paper in a dispenser. Why would they sell it that way. Why you would but it that way and why would "rich people" wait in line for the dispenser when they could just go buy a packet.

I was lost on so many levels (please ignore my ramblings, its been one of those days). Fwiw, we don't have self check out machines here... I forget they exist :-)