Menu

How much do you send your children with (money and week long field trip question)?

AimeeM

DD12 is going to Boston with her upper school classmates for a week. We paid for the trip (which covers activities, gas, food, etc), but were told to send her with spending money.

I've put $200 in her purse (double zipper purse, which crosses her body, and in a wallet)... but we (both dh and myself) are very nervous about her having so much cash on her person. We trust the group she's with (there are only 5 other children in the upper school, and I trust them all), but we're nervous about the trip in general (well, I am).

She will need the money to cover anything outside of three meals a day (and I'm concerned she may need it for meals at some point, if the meal provided isn't wheat/gluten free, for whatever reason) - so any snacks, additional drinks, souvenirs, etc.

Is it enough? If you hadn't guessed, this is the first time she's been this far from home without family :P

Can you get a visa cash card from WalMart and put at least some of the money on the card?

Can her guardian/chaperone be trusted to hold half the money?

Can she put some of it in her suitcase so that if she loses the purse all the money isn't lost?

Also, I have heard that there are some that you can buy where 2 cards are linked to the same account. The way it works, I think is that parents buy the pack of 2 cards but send one to their college kid and the college kid will have access to the funds on the card that their parents load (using the other card).

I have never used them, but someone was telling me about them.

$200 for a week works out to 40 bucks a day for five days or ~28 bucks a day for seven days.

Where are they going to be staying? Can you look at the websites of the places that they plan to visit so that you can get an idea of the cost of things she'll be doing. How much does a GF meal run in that area? Will she have enough?

Can you get a visa cash card from WalMart and put at least some of the money on the card? Wish I had thought about it ahead of time :(

Can her guardian/chaperone be trusted to hold half the money? No, I don't think so. I haven't directly asked, but when I asked where the children keep their spending money, on their person, I was told that yes, it is kept with the child.

Can she put some of it in her suitcase so that if she loses the purse all the money isn't lost? That's a great idea. I'll do that right now!

Also, I have heard that there are some that you can buy where 2 cards are linked to the same account. The way it works, I think is that parents buy the pack of 2 cards but send one to their college kid and the college kid will have access to the funds on the card that their parents load (using the other card).

$200 for a week works out to 40 bucks a day for five days or ~28 bucks a day for seven days.

Where are they going to be staying? Can you look at the websites of the places that they plan to visit so that you can get an idea of the cost of things she'll be doing. How much does a GF meal run in that area? Will she have enough? They actually get free lodging at a school her headmaster used to teach at, so there's nothing on site that she'll need to buy. The cost of the trip (which we already paid) covers ALL activities, so there's no additional cost for those - she'll only need money if she wants something "extra" while she's there (gift shops, etc). In general, they are great about always making sure that she has a GF meal available - but that's in our area, where they are familiar with where and what is offered. Food costs are already paid for, so if it's served at the normal meal time, her GF meal wouldn't cost extra. I'm not sure why I worried about that in the first place. I'm over-thinking this :P

We teach our kids to put enough money for the day in their wallet or purse and hide the rest of the money inside a small bag inside their luggage.

HTH

Edit: so $200 for souvenirs and snacks? That's probably fine.

Yes, souvenirs, snacks, and anything that she could possibly need OUTSIDE OF three meals a day, lodging, and activities (which are all already paid for).

We teach our kids to put enough money for the day in their wallet or purse and hide the rest of the money inside a small bag inside their luggage.

HTH

Edit: so $200 for souvenirs and snacks? That's probably fine.

This is what we did with dd when she went to DC for a week with her class and it worked well.

ETA: We only sent her with her $100 and she came back with money so I would think $200 is plenty.

Can you get a visa cash card from WalMart and put at least some of the money on the card?

Can her guardian/chaperone be trusted to hold half the money?

Can she put some of it in her suitcase so that if she loses the purse all the money isn't lost?

Where are they going to be staying? Can you look at the websites of the places that they plan to visit so that you can get an idea of the cost of things she'll be doing. How much does a GF meal run in that area? Will she have enough?

About the cards... We've done that A few times. It was free thru AAA. You can get 2 cards with different numbers but connected to each other.

I sent both cards with the traveler and kept copies of the numbers at home. The traveler kept one card in his suitcase and carried the other card. If he lost that card, he or I could cancel the lost card but the 2nd card was still available to use.

Plus I could look up the cards online and see what was being spent. That was neat, LOL.

Can you take her to your bank and get her own ATM card? We did this with DD before her London trip a few weeks ago. We moved money into a co-signed checking account and she got a credit/ATM card and her own pin. We put $200 in that account. We also did a separate Travelex account with another $200. She also had $100 cash. Um, we were paranoid. She bought her own lunches for 8 days and she still spent less than $200, and that's with a lousy exchange rate.

Okay, so the only things that they are doing that even cost anything (and the fees FOR the activities are already covered and paid for) are:

Duck Boat tour

Professional baseball game

... the other outings are "free", minus the tour guides (the cost for which is already included in the trip fee, paid for) - Ralph Waldo Emerson home, Sleepy Hollow grave yard, Nathaniel Hall, and a state park.

I can't imagine that there's anything on a duck boat that she could buy? She may want a souvenir from the ball game, but I doubt she could trust the ingredients of the food there, outside of beverages. I'm sure the Ralph Waldo home has a gift shop? If so, she'll need some there.

I also packed her an emergency "snack/food" kit, containing things like GF pretzels, Whenever Bars, GF granola bars, etc... just in case.

I need to breathe.

Can you take her to your bank and get her own ATM card? We did this with DD before her London trip a few weeks ago. We moved money into a co-signed checking account and she got a credit/ATM card and her own pin. We put $200 in that account. We also did a separate Travelex account with another $200. She also had $100 cash. Um, we were paranoid. She bought her own lunches for 8 days and she still spent less than $200, and that's with a lousy exchange rate.

I can't :( Had I thought about it before, I could have, but we just spent all evening at an auction for her school, and we leave out at about 6:30 tomorrow morning to drop her at the school - no time for the bank.

Should I put more cash on her, do you think?

I already did as suggested above, and put half in her luggage, in a ziplock, and the other half on her person (purse/wallet). She's never been in a position before of needing to budget daily, so I'd rather not have the entire amount in her luggage, for her to take out only what is needed daily, as I wouldn't want her in the position of nothing having enough in her wallet if needed (blood sugar issues - she absolutely needs enough for snacks, and there's no telling how long each outing will last).

I think I'll put a GF granola bar in her purse too. Just in case.

Okay, so the only things that they are doing that even cost anything (and the fees FOR the activities are already covered and paid for) are:

Duck Boat tour

Professional baseball game

... the other outings are "free", minus the tour guides (the cost for which is already included in the trip fee, paid for) - Ralph Waldo Emerson home, Sleepy Hollow grave yard, Nathaniel Hall, and a state park.

I can't imagine that there's anything on a duck boat that she could buy? She may want a souvenir from the ball game, but I doubt she could trust the ingredients of the food there, outside of beverages. I'm sure the Ralph Waldo home has a gift shop? If so, she'll need some there.

I also packed her an emergency "snack/food" kit, containing things like GF pretzels, Whenever Bars, GF granola bars, etc... just in case.

I need to breathe.

Yes, breathe. I felt the same way you did and it all worked out.

(((Hugs)))

I always figure it's better to have extra cash then not enough cash, so I'd add an extra $50 -- not because she will need it, but for your own peace of mind. :)

I'm sure she will be perfectly fine, but I'm sure you'll be worried, so here's a :grouphug: and a prayer that she has a wonderful and safe trip, and also that you don't worry yourself sick the whole time!

Wow, my kid would get $40, tops.  If all their needs are paid for, that's a gift in itself.  

Well, only her very basic needs will be provided for - no extra beverages, snacks (and GF snacks can be pricey... and difficult to find depending on where they are - hence the reason I packed an emergency snack bag for her luggage, lol), souvenirs, extra toiletries if needed, etc.

I always figure it's better to have extra cash then not enough cash, so I'd add an extra $50 -- not because she will need it, but for your own peace of mind. :)

I'm sure she will be perfectly fine, but I'm sure you'll be worried, so here's a :grouphug: and a prayer that she has a wonderful and safe trip, and also that you don't worry yourself sick the whole time!

She has some extra cash in her wallet from Easter, but I think I'll add a bit more to her luggage.

Well, only her very basic needs will be provided for - no extra beverages, snacks (and GF snacks can be pricey... and difficult to find depending on where they are - hence the reason I packed an emergency snack bag for her luggage, lol), souvenirs, extra toiletries if needed, etc.

She has some extra cash in her wallet from Easter, but I think I'll add a bit more to her luggage.

I think you're doing the right thing by giving her the extra cash. She sounds like a sensible girl, so I'm sure she won't waste it just because she has it. I'll bet if you tell her she can keep what she doesn't spend, she'll come home with quite a bit of the money! ;)

The amount of money should be more than generous. 

Did you mean Faneuil Hall? It's basically a giant store. She could use some money there :)

If you're REALLY concerned, most supermarkets sell VISA cards, so you could pick one up tomorrow morning. Make a note of the account numbers. Some allow you to add more money, so you could buy an initial allocation of $50 and add more if needed. It would provide some protection in case the card were accidentally lost.

I'd not worry, though. Things have a way of turning out well.

Dropped her off :(

She started getting nervous, but she's riding front passenger with her headmaster, so he'll put her to work navigating. Two chaperones for the 6 kids (5 boys and DD) - that's a good ratio, right?

If she needs anything, or runs out of money, I can wire her some pretty easily. If a need comes up, and she runs short, the chaperones (Head Dude and Science Teacher) wouldn't let her go without.

I know she's almost 13 and all... but geez I'm a wreck right now.

She started getting nervous, but she's riding front passenger with her headmaster, so he'll put her to work navigating. Two chaperones for the 6 kids (5 boys and DD) - that's a good ratio, right?

If she needs anything, or runs out of money, I can wire her some pretty easily. If a need comes up, and she runs short, the chaperones (Head Dude and Science Teacher) wouldn't let her go without.

I don't blame you!  I think you are being brave letting her go, I was much more likely to let my older dc go without me when we lived overseas, but all of the crazy things that happen in the US are much less prevalent there. 

I am sure she has enough money and is being watched over well.  Is this the first time she has been on a trip of this length without you?

I can't :( Had I thought about it before, I could have, but we just spent all evening at an auction for her school, and we leave out at about 6:30 tomorrow morning to drop her at the school - no time for the bank.

Should I put more cash on her, do you think?

I already did as suggested above, and put half in her luggage, in a ziplock, and the other half on her person (purse/wallet). She's never been in a position before of needing to budget daily, so I'd rather not have the entire amount in her luggage, for her to take out only what is needed daily, as I wouldn't want her in the position of nothing having enough in her wallet if needed (blood sugar issues - she absolutely needs enough for snacks, and there's no telling how long each outing will last).

I think I'll put a GF granola bar in her purse too. Just in case.

:grouphug:   Your chant for today (and for as long as you need it):  "She is fine.  All is well."

So, your daughter will be kept busy with navigating.  What will be YOUR distraction?  What's on your plate for today?

:grouphug:  It's Boston. They will have everything she needs (albeit at about 50% more than what I'd consider a fair price). She will surely not need more than $25 a day for an afternoon snack. There is an adult who will contact you if there's a problem. She'll have a great time.

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

Just as a comparison, dd's Sunday School teachers got together and gave dd a "purse" of around $150, IIRC--might have been slightly more--for our 3 month trip to Israel.

She bought a few souvenirs, including a leather messenger bag from Jerusalem.

Came home with at least half of it!

Your dd is going to have a wonderful time!

I don't blame you!  I think you are being brave letting her go, I was much more likely to let my older dc go without me when we lived overseas, but all of the crazy things that happen in the US are much less prevalent there. 

I am sure she has enough money and is being watched over well.  Is this the first time she has been on a trip of this length without you?

Outside of overnight lock-ins at the school and a 2 day camping trip with the school, this is her first time out without a family member. She's been away from me for this length of time before, but she was with Grandpa.

:grouphug:   Your chant for today (and for as long as you need it):  "She is fine.  All is well."

So, your daughter will be kept busy with navigating.  What will be YOUR distraction?  What's on your plate for today?

A nap? I hope, lol. We were at the school auction last night until after 8, picked my youngest up from the sitter. By the time we had everybody settled in for bed, it was almost 11, then I was up until almost 1 (packing Red's luggage, etc); up at 5:30 to pack her lunch and snacks for the car ride, load up the car, and head out.

I have Starbucks. That's helping a bit, lol.

It doesn't help that she was super pumped and not the least bit nervous - until it came time to go. Then she got nervous. Either the other moms were good at hiding it, or I'm the only nervous wreck, lol.

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

Just as a comparison, dd's Sunday School teachers got together and gave dd a "purse" of around $150, IIRC--might have been slightly more--for our 3 month trip to Israel.

She bought a few souvenirs, including a leather messenger bag from Jerusalem.

Came home with at least half of it!

Your dd is going to have a wonderful time!

I wanna go to Israel!

I'm a bit jealous of my dd right now, lol. She gets to go to the Sleepy Hollow graveyards! I can't wait until the boys are a bit older and I can go on these trips too :P

At 9, my younger daughter went to a 2 week tennis camp on a college campus and it was recommended we send $30/week for incidentals and student store purchases and movie tickets etc... I sent $70. She spent all $70 on candy at the student store in the first week.

I learned a lesson about my daughter and money and candy. This year will involve much less money and much more direction about what is okay to buy.

At 9, my younger daughter went to a 2 week tennis camp on a college campus and it was recommended we send $30/week for incidentals and student store purchases and movie tickets etc... I sent $70. She spent all $70 on candy at the student store in the first week.

I learned a lesson about my daughter and money and candy. This year will involve much less money and much more direction about what is okay to buy.

Her and I did go over what was okay to buy, and what wasn't... although, to be honest, I don't mind at all if she spends even most of it on souvenirs - this is a once in a life time kind of gig for her, as when we go out of state, it's often to visit family, and with our little ones in tow, it isn't often that we get to go to these types of "fun" places when we trip.

Her and I did go over what was okay to buy, and what wasn't... although, to be honest, I don't mind at all if she spends even most of it on souvenirs - this is a once in a life time kind of gig for her, as when we go out of state, it's often to visit family, and with our little ones in tow, it isn't often that we get to go to these types of "fun" places when we trip.

I'd feel the same way. :)

I'm glad she's on her way, and I'm sure everything will be just fine. :grouphug:

I'd be worried, too. I know some moms can drop off their kids and go on with their day, but I'm one of those idiots who worries about everything, even when I know there's really nothing to be worried about.

Head Dude had her call home last night. She was reading about the Boston Massacre... before bed. I asked why, and she said that they confiscated their electronics (where dd has all of her e-books), so she only had her history textbook to read. Lol! I told her to buy a couple books today, if they end up anywhere with books to buy (even a grocery store or pharmacy usually has a small selection).

She's doing well otherwise. They stopped halfway, around Baltimore, for the night. This morning around 7:30 they went to breakfast and then to finish the trek to Boston.

My aunt lives right outside of Boston. She's calling Head Dude today to make sure Red is okay, and to ask to be contacted if she needs anything :D

We made sure there was $200 on ds's debit card for his overseas trip. He did exactly what his older sis did--not call for a week. Someone suggested that we check his debit card--he had not used it. We knew he was fine, or someone from Hillsdale would have called. He went TWO WEEKS without buying so much as a postcard. He didn't buy lunch or a single snack. And then he accidently deleted all his photos. I sometimes wonder if he actually went. He looked at the prices of lunch in Paris and London and decided to save his money. He ate huge breakfasts and dinners and just went hungry the rest of the day. Silly boy...

My children have made a habit of not calling. We get calls from dd--"Oh, I'm in Korea!" "Oh, I thought we were going to Australia, but I'm in Russia." One dd went to Turkey for a month and we got two emails. The last trip to Germany for 3 weeks we got two emails. We get calls, expecting them to be from Bahrain, but no, she's in Phuket! "Hi mom, the destroyer had to go out to sea because we're having a typhoon. But I'm on the top of Mt. Fuji!" I give up...

That would drive me nuts! How can you have  vicarious world travels if those kids won't cooperate?!

I would try to send some cash and then a debit card.  If you set up an account for her you can have a debit card issued and just put the amount of money you want her to have access to in it.  If she loses the card she won't lose her money and she can withdraw cash from ATM's or use the card as a credit card at any location that takes them.

That just would not go very far in Boston though. 

I kinda want her to have some fun with it too. With my younger boys' ages, our adventures are limited right now, and it'll be another year or two before she has this opportunity. I definitely want her to have a souvenir or two from this trip.

I also realized that I forgot to pack her jacket (where we live, it's definitely spring time; it's only going to be around 50 in Boston, though, I think) - I told her to buy one if she needed to, and if she needed more money, I'd wire her some.

My daughter did a 9 day trip to the east coast last summer. She is GF and DF. $200 is plenty of money! I sent my daughter with $100 cash and $100 on her debit card and she returned with a lot of it. (Her teacher said no more than $200.). I packed gf snacks for her and again, she returned with most of them.

You need to be 13 for a debit card so that wouldn't have worked anyway. My daughter turned 13 a week before she left. I took her to the bank the day she turned 13 and they were able to print her card right there.

You need to be 13 for a debit card so that wouldn't have worked anyway. My daughter turned 13 a week before she left. I took her to the bank the day she turned 13 and they were able to print her card right there.

I think that's a bank policy - both my kids (10 & 12 yr olds) have accounts with debit cards from Bank of America. My 12 year old works in the church nursery and does babysitting and such so she needs to be able to deposit checks and withdraw her money. She uses the debit card for lunches and birthday presents and treats with friends and such when she's out. My younger (the one who spent $70 in one week on candy) does not have access to her debit card (which I keep in my purse) for obvious reasons. Plus, she has very little money and frankly is just not ready yet for a debit card.

How fun!  I'm sure she'll have such a good time!

Most out-of-town field trips my kids have been on have a "bank" system where a chaperone will hold the extra cash for the kids, and the kids "withdraw" it as needed.  I wonder if they will have something like that?

Otherwise, you can always split it up a bit.  She could carry $25 on her in cash, and hide the rest in a sock in her suitcase.

I'd probably send $150, because I'd rather my kids try and make do with what they have rather than have an abundance.  It sounds like practically everything is covered, and $150 seems like plenty for ice cream and post cards.  :)

She came back with $140 of it, lol.

They went out of their way to make sure that she had GF alternatives at EVERY meal - the people they stayed with had a fully stocked GF kitchen as the wife is GF! They even sent her home with GF carrot cake mix, lol.

She was very, very responsible with it. When she started to use some of the cash in her wallet (like suggested, I put half in her luggage, half on her in her wallet), she took another $20 out of her luggage stash, when she wasn't sure where they were going or if there would be a gift shop, etc, but never took the entire lump sum from her luggage to replenish.

I'm proud of her :) She bought herself a couple charms from Salem, a Boston t-shirt (remembering the bombing), and a purse that says "Boston" all over it, lol. So she grabbed a few nice souvenirs, but didn't go crazy with it :)

She came back with $140 of it, lol.

They went out of their way to make sure that she had GF alternatives at EVERY meal - the people they stayed with had a fully stocked GF kitchen as the wife is GF! They even sent her home with GF carrot cake mix, lol.

She was very, very responsible with it. When she started to use some of the cash in her wallet (like suggested, I put half in her luggage, half on her in her wallet), she took another $20 out of her luggage stash, when she wasn't sure where they were going or if there would be a gift shop, etc, but never took the entire lump sum from her luggage to replenish.

I'm proud of her :) She bought herself a couple charms from Salem, a Boston t-shirt (remembering the bombing), and a purse that says "Boston" all over it, lol. So she grabbed a few nice souvenirs, but didn't go crazy with it :)

Don't you love it when your kid surprises you with such maturity?  :)   I'm pretty sure I remember DS doing that once or twice ... well, probably just once.  ;)

I'm glad your DD had fun and handled the $ so well.