Menu

What are you planning for 11th Grade? Please share here.

We're still in the planning stages, but at the moment it looks like we'll do the following:

• Bible     Probably a devotion book with quite time and discussion
  • American Literature and Composition:     Locally outsourced
  • Pre-cal:     (hopefully outsourced)  Pending successful completion of Algebra II and teacher recommendation
  • Bio/lab:     Thinking about using Science Shepherd Biology
  • American history:     Will probably use FundaFunda
  • Computer:     A simple how-to-use  course for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint  (maybe use a Dummies book for this)
  • US Geography:     Map Trek
  • Farm apprenticeship:  (Elective) Care and financial aspect of having horses and living on a farm (due to a move to the country.)

It is such a help to see what others are planning for a certain grade.  If you are planning 11th grade, please share what you are considering. 

I'm in the midst of finalizing plans now. 

English- Schaum's Research Writing & Argument Builder. Literature will be partially American lit, and Dante (plan to read all three)

Japanese III - A mix of Genki and Beginning japanese (later chapters - we'll have done portions of both by next fall)

Russian I - using Foreign Service institute lessons

Algebra II - AoPS (most likely)

Chemistry - still finalizing plans

US History - using various sources and texts spending 12 weeks on Civil War - Progressivism, spending 24 weeks on WWI - WWII. 

Government - still finalizing (.5 credit)

Personal Finance - will do over summer (.5 credit) 

Looks like dd is coming home for 11th, here's her plan:

English: American Lit & a Shakespeare play, WriteGuide, WWtW, 4Practice

US History Reconstruction - Present: Riffing on the FundaFunda curric w/ TC Lectures, American Odyssey, Critical Thinking in US Hist.

PreCalculus: Foersters

Chemistry: AP Chem w/ ChemAdvantage

Spanish: AP Spanish w/ PAHsers

German: @ Sat. School, working toward DSD2 exam

Programming: APCompSci w/ Amplify MOOC

Extra-Curric: Robotics Club & Chorus @ ps high school; skating

Here's our plans so far

Bible 1

Phy Ed .5

Spanish III 1 (La Clase Divertida)

AP Chem 1 (PA Homeschoolers)

Java programming 1 (I've got 3 different MOOC's picked out, not sure which one we will use yet)

Economics .5 (Notgrass, just to give him him a taste to see if he wants to take the AP classes through PA Homeschoolers in 12th)

Adv Comp .5 (Landry Academy)

Lit Class .5(Landry Academy, not sure which one yet, waiting for them to releae the schedule so we know what works in our schedule)

Math 1 (AOPS Intermediate Counting and  Probability and then Number theory assuming the schedule works)

Here is what dd is doing for 11th.

Positive Action Proverbs (finish from last year) & BJU bible

Lials Intermediate Algebra

Apologia Chemistry (I lead a lab class here at home)

BJU US history on dvd

AOP American lit with several books

Spanish for Mastery 2

IEW writing in co-op

Art in co-op

Online SAT prep class & ACT prep

Volunteers weekly at local library

Was in a play last semester

Chemistry: Apologia with Red Wagon Tutorials DVD and Landry Lab Intensive

Precalculus: Still deciding

Bible: Precept Bible study (.5)

English: Potter's School Research Writing (first semester) and Science Fiction Literature (second semester)

American History: Sonlight Core 100 with REA Test Prep book(s) and CLEP test(s)

PE (.5)

Electives: No idea yet!

ACT and/or SAT test prep

Extracurricular: finish up any lingering Eagle rank stuff. Hopefully, he'll be done by August.

Bible: Positive Action for Christ's Proverbs, Bible Drill

English: AP English Lang & Comp (PAH with Kathryn Walker)

Math: PreCalc (either with Lial's at home or Derek Owens online)

Science: AP Chemistry (PAH)

Science: Physics (group class that I teach)

Health: 1/2 credit using MFW's materials

Personal Finance: 1/2 credit using MFW's materials

And some PSAT prep in late summer/early fall.

I have one in 11th grade this year.  She is taking:

English III Analytical Grammar, some literature and writing, Phonetic Zoo C (dyslexic)

Geometry TT, she has already completed Algebra I and II

Constitutional Law

Chemistry Apologia and Landry Academy Chemistry Lab

Speech II Local club with classes, competitions and various speaking opportunities

Advanced Debate see above

Apologetics Intense study of various books of the Bible utilizing the Bible (duh) and Omnibus, local classes, competitions including a Bible Bowl

See is also involved in campaigning, volunteering, and working. 

Last couple of chapters of pre-calculus and a short break for ACT prep and then Calc1.

Advanced chemistry

Marine Biology

Modern Literature and more college prep writing

US Government and Economics

Icelandic 2 with a variety of scrapped together resources plus Danish 1

Photography

Extra curricular:

Ecology research project

DNR volunteer work

Community service - once weekly yard work for the crisis pregnancy center mid-May through mid-sized June and again for August

Competitive rocketry

4H STEM Club

So far this is what I have planned for ds:

Pre-Calculus (Derek Owens, Saxon, or at the Community College)

Honors Biology (DIVE, using Science Shepherd text)

World History (this is just a get is done topic, we'll be using Oak Meadows and the Glencoe text)

Japanese II (Landry Academy)

JAVA Programming (Community College,1st semester)

Composition (Community College, 1st semester)

World Literature (Community College, 2nd semester)

Public Speaking (Community College, 2nd semester)

Extras:

Part-time job, weight training

11th grade is giving me such a headache!  So many options, so little time left! :/ 

The "for sure" stuff...

U.S. History (.5 credit)

French II

Pre-Calc (Saxon)

IEW for writing

literature (using various reading and discussion guides)

The "oh, my head hurts" stuff...

Science ------>

definitely Environmental Science.  Maybe AP through PAHomeschoolers, maybe AP on our own, maybe through the Community College...

Chemistry II.  Maybe through the Community College.  Maybe on our own?  She wants to do the CC option so she  can be in a real lab... but I'm nervous about that being her first CC class... (I have to keep reminding myself that it sounds tough to ME... because SHE soaks up Chemistry information like a sponge, so maybe it won't be too difficult?)

Electives ------> She only has 5.5 credits with the above subjects, but they're all going to be very time-consuming & she has a super-busy extra-curricular schedule, so picking these is tricky.

maybe programming for 1 credit using online resources as classes

maybe art

maybe financial planning over the summer as a half-credit course?

maybe archaeology

maybe drama at the CC?

maybe a digital art class (Illustrator or Photoshop) class at the CC?

We have changed her plans probably ten times already. As soon as we think we have it planned, something else pops up that sounds like what she'd enjoy...  so we are both kind of :willy_nilly:   :willy_nilly:   which is sort of how we roll anyway. We need to bring in the more level-headed daughter to help us make the final decisions, I think.  The boys will be of no help... :p

AP English Language through APhomeschoolers(Walker)

Precalc- Foerster at home with me

Physics - Apologia supplemented with Giancoli unless I get a lot done this summer and feel like I can do Giancoli as the only text

Foreign Language - still deciding

History - Ancients, need to decide on books

Literature - Ancients, half credit spread throughout the year

Rhetoric - half credit spread throughout the year

Something else?  Maybe AP Government, maybe MusicTheory, maybe 6 solid credits is enough.  I like to do all of it solid and well and we can't seem to do that with more than 6 credits. (7 classes, but 2 are 30 minutes each all year)

Guitar continues in the extracurricular realm

English -- ToG y3 R lit + advanced writing

History -- ToG y3 R

Science -- Apologia Physics

Math -- TT precalculus

Philosophy -- ToG y3 (1/2 credit)

Art history -- spine text + lots of museum trips

Foods & Nutrition (1/2 credit)

Spanish II -- La Clase Divertida online

Debating about doing US Government???

Well, don't post much but I love these threads since they force me to think it through.  Agree with others that it's getting tough.  Here is what I am thinking:

Bible - Continue PAC's The Inner Man that he is working on now.  Read other books awaiting!  Work through OT with younger brothers as they hit it with us for some togetherness.  

Math - Probably TT Pre-Calc.  

History - Government and/or Economics - either with TW or Notgrass - would like to get him started on the new Dave Ramsey Foundations for HS - probably will lead in co-op situation.

English - Excellence in Literature - SAT/ACT prep CONTINUED and not sure what else!!

Science - done with 3 - so...not sure...might put in an AP Psychology here instead - using Sonlight?  

At CC - probably Spanish (has 2 credits here already), possibly Writing, maybe Science and possibly computer programming or something similar - over the year - 1 or 2 classes each semester.  

He doesn't need many more credits so might be in CC full time as a 'senior'.  Haven't figured that out yet!  :)

Continue working - teaches guitar, runs social media/website from home for company and has his own computer business fixing people's cpu's.  Also, runs sound, does video editing, photography and plays in church band....super busy!!  :)

Here is what I am planning for my ds.  I can't believe he is the last of my homeschoolers.  :crying:

Math:  Precalculus - either with DO or Foerster using the MWB DVD.  I am waiting to see how he does with the trig section of the Algebra and Trigonometry book.

Science: Apologia Advanced Chemistry

Language Arts: British lit (home-grown course), LToW and IEW High School Essay Intensive

History:  This is a get it done subject.  I will be using MOH vol. 3 with lots of supplements and writing projects

American Government: A Noble Experiment, 5000 Year Leap, and Never Before in History

Logic: Memoria Press Traditional Logic 1 and 2

Financial Accounting: Professor in a Box 

Java Programming:  Teen Coder

I love seeing what other's are doing too. :)

Algebra 2 --  still deciding on curricula.... leaning towards Teaching Textbooks 

English 3 -- The Language of Literature and IEW materials..... still deciding which IEW materials

Western Civilization 2 -- Jackson Spilvogel's vol 2 with study guide

Science -- undecided

Music History -- Kaimen's text plus several living books

Political Science -- various materials. (DS is so interested in poli sci and has read so much already that I'll probably just assign a research paper and call it a credit.)

This is what I am thinking thus far:

Algebra II-Saxon with Virtual Homeschool Group

English III-British literature study and 2 time4writing courses

Chemistry-Apologia with Virtual Homeschool Group

World History- The Human Story by James C. Davis and Education Portal for an overview. Focus on Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation using Veritas Press.

Bible-The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study book 3

Spanish III-Finish duolingo and Rosetta Stone

Electives??

He also plays football for our homeschool team, is planning on joining Exploring Law Enforcement, rollerblades regularly, and is highly involved in ministry.

Biblical Worldview, US History and Government, American Literature with My Father's World (3 credits)

Conceptual Chemistry (1 credit)

Geometry (1 credit)

Spanish III (1 credit)

Photography (1 credit)

Rhetoric (1 credit)

Excelsior Academy, what are you using for Constitutional Law? Ds is doing a year of Criminal Investigation right now and might enjoy Constitutional Law next year.

Biblical Worldview, US History and Government, American Literature with My Father's World (3 credits)

Conceptual Chemistry (1 credit)

Geometry (1 credit)

Spanish III (1 credit)

Photography (1 credit)

Rhetoric (1 credit)

Excelsior Academy, what are you using for Constitutional Law? Ds is doing a year of Criminal Investigation right now and might enjoy Constitutional Law next year.

We are using Constitutional Law for Enlightened Citizens by Michael P. Farris.

So here is my question.  My son (rising Jr.) participates in Mock Trial and volunteers in a local Teen Court program.  He loves anything to do with law and learning about the Constitution.  Of course, we too are facing the "so much to do, so little time left" dilemma.  I think my son would really enjoy a course in Constitutional Law and/or AP Comparative Government.  He has taken 2 sciences and will only take one more.  As far as the transcript, does it look better to have completed (taken in Jr. year, rather than Sr.) the mandatory 3rd science course, or classes that are more in his field of interest?  Thanks so much!

Ashley

Hampstead, NC

Excelsior Academy, I found the book on Amazon, but it didn't have the 'look inside' feature. Does the book include tests or review questions or anything like that? In other words, is the book itself a complete high school course, or is there something else that supplements it?

Excelsior Academy, I found the book on Amazon, but it didn't have the 'look inside' feature. Does the book include tests or review questions or anything like that? In other words, is the book itself a complete high school course, or is there something else that supplements it?

There are no tests or review questions in the book itself, however there is a DVD supplement and option for online course with chat sessions with Michael Farris himself.  We chose just the book option..  I hear the DVD course is very good.  Since the book lines up with my dc's other activities and courses we are discussing and applying it along with their other subjects.