Menu

Recommend plays, musicals, etc for my dd

mama27

My 14 yo is taking acting classes and LOVES it. She hasn't seen a lot of musicals or plays and I'd like to come up with a list for her to watch. Recently we all watched The Wizard of Oz. I saw it as a kid but it's just one of those things that never came up, kwim?

Your favorites?

In addition to the above  

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

West Side Story ( haven't seen in years, so I don't remember if there are any scenes to avoid)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

My All Time Favorite:

Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Brannaugh! bonus Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves are in it, and Micheal Keaton is HILLARIOUS)  has a scene where the prince's man is "wooing" a girl, so depending on your standards for fourteen, may want to watch it first.  It is not graphic in any way, there is no nudity, they are clothed, in a window with the womans back to the audience , but it is pretty obvious what is going on.

In addition to the above  

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

West Side Story ( haven't seen in years, so I don't remember if there are any scenes to avoid)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

My All Time Favorite:

Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Brannaugh! bonus Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves are in it, and Micheal Keaton is HILLARIOUS)  has a scene where the prince's man is "wooing" a girl, so depending on your standards for fourteen, may want to watch it first.  It is not graphic in any way, there is no nudity, they are clothed, in a window with the womans back to the audience , but it is pretty obvious what is going on.

And then you can watch the 2012 Joss Whedon version to compare and contrast! 

A tip we got from a pro -- watch BBC television.  The acting quality is better than television acting in the US.  Plus, an excuse to watch Sherlock!

Annie - watch the version with Kathy Bates.  The version with Carol Burnett suffers greatly from John Huston's direction (why are the orphans manic? why do all the maids show their undies when they dance?), plus they goobered up the plot something fierce -- the Kathy Bates version is much closer to the stage show.

My Fair Lady

Shrek -- Broadway version is available on Netflix and on DVD

Hairspray

Les Mis

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Into the Woods -- we're not sure if it's on DVD, but we have it on Digital Theater Plus, which we have a yearlong subscription to from Homeschool Buyers' Co-op -- Digital Theater has various plays, musicals, interviews with actors, technical people, directors

PIrates of Penzance

Go to see:

Wicked

Legally Blonde

Really, pretty much any movie is a chance to study the acting and directing.  Just tonight we were watching Ender's Game, which we'd already seen once in the theater; this time 14yo dd was really focussing on the acting.  When I asked her for recommendations for your post she immediately said she liked watching Andrew Garfield's Spiderman -- she liked studying his various acting choices -- personally, I like watching Sally Fields in it since I've seen her in stuff for decades.  And it's fun to see the same actor in different roles -- some actors seem to play the same thing over and over, but others take on wildly different characters.

Around here all of the high schools do their musicals in the spring. This means cheap tickets and amazing live entertainment. If you haven't seen a production since your you were in school, you may be pleasantly surprised by how professional these shows are nowadays.

Edited to add a clip of The Music Man from our local high school production. :-)

I agree with checking with the local highschools and even middle schools as well as local civic groups, libraries, etc. for low cost live plays and musicals.  My daughter's Mulan Jr. for 7th grade was VERY well done, esp. for that age group.

For videos, one I like is the Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella with Whoopi Goldberg and a very multicultural cast.  It was just fun to watch.

I love the Leslie Ann Warren Cinderella--I remember it fondly and didn't realize it was made for TV and broadcast live.

Our favs here are already listed above, but I'll remention--

Sound of Music

Oklahoma (first scene with Surrey is my fav of all time scene!)

Music Man (the one with Sarah Jessica Parker's husband--oh gosh, what's his name?)

The King and I (but be prepared with hankies at the end!).

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

The Slipper and the Rose (the Cinderella story with Richard Chamberlain as the prince)

The Glass Slipper (also the Cinderella story, with Leslie Caron as Cinderella, so of course there's ballet. It's quite charming.)

The Phantom of the Opera

Oliver!

Music Man (the one with Sarah Jessica Parker's husband--oh gosh, what's his name?)

Blasphemy!  

Lol -- just kidding.  I've never seen that version.  We've watched the Robert Preston version so many times that we all have it memorized.  I remember hearing that Frank Sinatra was almost cast in the role for the movie version back then, but Meredith Wilson said no, Robert Preston really is THE Music Man.