Menu

Sweet things with no fat, carbonation, acidity, mint, caffeine or cocoa?

Laura Corin

I'm on this low-everything doctor-ordered diet, and my sweet tooth is starting to act up.  I'm just beginning to add some fat back in, but I'd rather keep it for cooking savoury dishes, so that the boys get fat in their diets too.  

So far I've thought of home-made melon sorbet and apple sauce/stewed apple.  I stood at the supermarket, staring despairingly at the sweeties/candy.  Sugar in (decaff) tea/coffee doesn't appeal.  Any other ideas?  The only fruit I can have is melon, apples and pears (theoretically banana, but they make me retch).

On the plus side, as a side effect I'm down to 60 kilos/132 pounds - I can't remember the last time I hit that figure.

Thanks

L

Maybe you have a bakery that sells Angel food cake?

Here you can buy any fake fat free food imaginable.  They probably have stuff with fake chocolate that tastes something like chocolate, fat free, sugar free, etc. 

I'm pretty much a make-from-scratch person, but I think I'm going to need to branch out.  I need to find things that are zero fat and real sugar (can't take aspartame) so that could be interesting.

Thanks

L

frozen grapes? dried fruit? You just have to really limit dried fruit. It is very easy to overeat and they are calorie dense.

Calories aren't the issue - I should have been clearer.  The weight loss is a side effect, not the aim.  I have to avoid acidity, and apparently grapes are too high acidity.

L

Candy hearts or Necco wafers? You really have to be in the mood for these, though, as they can be a bit too sweet and maybe even a bit chalky.

Sesame candy. I've never made it myself, only had the store-bought kind but here's a recipe to try.

ETA: sorry, wasn't thinking how much fat is in sesame seeds. That one might not work for you.

I'd sauté a bunch of thinly sliced apples with cinnamon sugar. It's like apple pie without the crust.

I should have realized that if citrus was out berries were probably a non-starter as well. When I was a child I was briefly put on a diet to pinpoint health issues where I could only have bananas, rice, apples and toast. No acid at all!

Congratulations... Not sure if this will help BUT... for your chocolate craving if you you can eat these :

1 cup of Almond Breeze UNSWEETENED Vanilla Milk

2 chopped up frozen Bananas

2 tablespoons of almond / peanut butter (this is where the fat can be an issue...)

2 tablespoons of cocoa powder

and blend!

or OJ, fruit and a banana & blend

or 

banana and cocoa powder in a food processor makes great "chocolate" ice cream"

It might be more helpful if you told us what you are not allowed to have.

If the title said 'acidic foods' rather than 'citrus', then it would be pretty much correct.  I thought we could edit titles, but I can't see how to do it any more.

ETA: okay - done.

Thanks

L

Are all berries super acidic?  Like blueberries?  I wonder.

Well you have to try the rice pudding thing. That seems to fit the criteria.

Already made and eaten.

The effect of acidity is, I suspect, person-specific.  I'm adding things back in slowly.  This week it's a bit of oil for cooking.  As the weeks go on, I'll try adding back in other things, starting with things that will make my life more pleasant.  I'm sure I will get to berries at some point, although I think of them as being quite acidic, but the the acidity masked by sweetness.

L

I like pears, just got some to make smoothies, but have been eating them straight. I don't know if its enough to satisfy a sweet tooth though. I think you can bake them whole though, but have never done it.

I like pears but I haven't baked them either - it sounds good.  I'll look into that.  Pear smoothy sounds good too - I can always make it sweeter if I want.

Thanks

L

Poached pears

Pear or apple crumble

The banana "ice cream" is good, but not if bananas make you retch! It works with peaches too if you're able to add those back in. Sort of a shortcut peach sorbet.

Granita made with permitted juices

Vanilla sorbet

Panna cotta made with skim or almond or coconut milk

Poached pears

Pear or apple crumble

The banana "ice cream" is good, but not if bananas make you retch! It works with peaches too if you're able to add those back in. Sort of a shortcut peach sorbet.

Granita made with permitted juices

Vanilla sorbet

Panna cotta made with skim or almond or coconut milk

I've only made panna cotta with cream.  I'll have to look into that.  Lots of good ideas, thanks.

L

Thinking of more...

Homemade marshmallows

Meringue cookies

Macaroons (small amount of fat from coconut)

Yes, homemade marshmallows or even the ones they sometimes sell at Whole Foods. We make rice crispy treats with them, without the butter. You can use a bit of margarine to make it less sticky, but it isn't strictly necessary:)