Menu

Any pain relieving tips for birth?

My midwife had us do hot rags last time, which helped a lot, but I started coming across some more ideas on a site and wondered what had worked for y'all... I read something about a comb to dig into accupressure points on your hand and hot rice bags. Anything else? Any tips for a happy homebirth?

And if you labored in water, how important to you was it that the water be HOT? I can't figure out how these birthing tabs, just the inflatable/portable kind, are going to keep the water very warm for long. Did you turn up your water heater close to your due date?

Just think, one more month and you'll be rid of these birthing questions from me... Of course then I'll be asking about newborn care, hehe! Nah, newborns are easy, just plug and chug. :)

Honestly, the thing that made the biggest difference to me was realizing that it was going to hurt no matter what. My focus during my first delivery was pain avoidance. I didn't take any drugs for the next three and I concentrated on the process and dh instead. I was calmer and had a better time (even with a much more difficult labour) with my final 3.

I'm guessing an epidural is out of the question?:D

Okay, during my home birth I spent a significant amount of time in the shower, sometimes on my hands and knees, just letting the water run down my back. Also, I used a heating pad on a low setting. My husband and I curled up in bed with the heating pad between us.

Not being dehydrated was a big one for me. I don't have thirst that nearly matches my body's need for hydration, especially late in pregnancy. With my second, I actually set out a row of water bottles and a also a big pitcher of raspberry leaf tea and told dh, "I need to drink X amount every hour -- it's your job to keep an eye on it and to remind me to drink".

Otherwise, being left *alone* was major for me. Nobody talking to me or checking up on me or watching me from a distance or anything else.

The water in our birth tub felt great to me, but we waited too long to start filling it (that was my fault -- I didn't want to get in too soon and psych myself out if I had hours and hours to go since my first labor had been *very* long), so I was never really submerged in it. What I read at the time was that the water could actually stay warm for a surprisingly long time and only lose a degree or two an hour (this depended, of course, on the amount of water and the surface area, etc). A lot of people would just keep heating large pots of water and stirring it in periodically (obviously don't pour a pot of boiling water in while you're in it, but if it's a large pool, you can pour in a thin stream of hot water on the other side and swoosh it around, etc).

Loved it! The prep is really important though - you have to "practice" ahead of time, so that you have the imagery in your mind to access, so that it is familiar and comfortable come birth time.

I have four kids, all hospital born but pain-med free. I tried Bradley w/ #1, Hypnobirthing w/ #2 and #3, and Hypnobabies w/ #4. Liked the last one the best. Regardless, I still get all out of sorts come pushing time, but otherwise, it was a breeze!

FWIW, I hated water and shower. Partly b/c the parts of my skin that WEREN'T in the water got cold. Maybe there was a draft? Also, I didn't like moving around a lot. Transitioning between the shower and out of the shower distracted my calmness and concentration.

GL and hang in there! It's a magical time!

- Stacey in MA

Water - body temp (or warmer if your midwife will let you) and lots of it. Before your water breaks, try laboring for a while in the bath tub before you move to your birthing tub - that might prolong the warmth.

Another vote for water. Both my unmedicated home births were not very painful due to the water and my midwife. Being in the tub made such a huge difference.

Water made a HUGE difference for me. I wasn't a screaming mimi during crowning, but very calm. I was actually able to be more "present" for the birth in my own inwards sort of way. Also, being able to do what I wanted. For one birth relaxation with dh gently stroking my arm worked great. However, with the next birth, I couldn't stand for him to touch me, so water was a Godsend.

Not being dehydrated was a big one for me. I don't have thirst that nearly matches my body's need for hydration, especially late in pregnancy. With my second, I actually set out a row of water bottles and a also a big pitcher of raspberry leaf tea and told dh, "I need to drink X amount every hour -- it's your job to keep an eye on it and to remind me to drink".

Otherwise, being left *alone* was major for me. Nobody talking to me or checking up on me or watching me from a distance or anything else.

That's interesting. I've been working on my water because mw said I need to drink more. She said to shoot for 1 oz. per pound of body weight, but at 200 pounds now, that takes some serious effort! I'm definitely working on it though. Was that about the amount you shot for?

On the alone thing, would you describe yourself as an introvert? See it's weird, but I was watching these birth videos last night, and was thinking about things like whether dh would get in the birthing tub with me, etc. I just keep thinking that having someone really stay focused on me and with me would help. But maybe I'll change when I get in it? I just Maybe I'm just an emotional leech, haha.

Honestly, the thing that made the biggest difference to me was realizing that it was going to hurt no matter what. My focus during my first delivery was pain avoidance. I didn't take any drugs for the next three and I concentrated on the process and dh instead. I was calmer and had a better time (even with a much more difficult labour) with my final 3.

Ok, can we talk some more about your focus with your dh? What role does he play? Mine wasn't willy nilly or anything at dd's birth, but I'm not sure we've really connected on how he could help me. I think I need something clear and succinct that I can SAY to him, to EXPLAIN to him exactly what I'm wanting. With dd he had to just squeeze my hand because I wasn't allowed to groan or anything. He was attentive until that nasty point (the 7-10 stage), but then he fell asleep, haha... I was working, and he was asleep! Anyways, in what ways does your dh help you? What does he DO?

I think you're right that you can't do enough to make the pain go away, but you can do things to help you stay focused. That's exactly what I'm wanting this time, to be more focused and on top of it. That's what I've admired in the videos and things I've watched. Our first birth was a homebirth and a good birth btw. However, I think I went into it thinking that if I just relaxed enough (what I had read in Bradley), it wouldn't hurt. When it did hurt, I was scared! Once the midwife came, she had things to help us (rubbing, baths, hot rags, etc.), but I don't think I had that calm, on top of it feeling either.

Well anyways, that's open to anyone, and I guess you got two questions for the price of one there. :)

Water made a HUGE difference for me. I wasn't a screaming mimi during crowning, but very calm. I was actually able to be more "present" for the birth in my own inwards sort of way. Also, being able to do what I wanted. For one birth relaxation with dh gently stroking my arm worked great. However, with the next birth, I couldn't stand for him to touch me, so water was a Godsend.

Makes sense! Now for a weird question: what do you WEAR while in the birthing tub? Or do you wear nothing? I've been trying to figure out, because I think I'm going to have to buy something, not sure I have anything that really works for it at all. With dd's birth, I bought a little nightie, but that was a land birth. If I'm going to be in water a lot, I need something appropriate. Any suggestions?

You know, it hadn't occurred to me births could be so different, but it makes sense.

Laboring in a warm tub

Having a woman friend in the room. Maybe a midwife works for this, but having a soothing woman in the room reduces all kinds of complications. My dh also liked it because it relieved him from feeling responsible for the whole show. He could relax and be the dad.

Having a focal point (fleck of color on the floor, the "biohazard" sign across the room--didn't matter, but DON'T WALK IN FRONT OF MY FOCAL POINT

Having someone count out the seconds of the contraction

Being able to be in whatever position I wanted

Breathing the way I wanted. (I didn't do the breathing "right" the Lamaze way, I kinda hissed. It helped me a lot.)

Having a doula helped on my last two births. Both had good ideas on how to get me through and helped dh help me. No. 2 went really fast so it was really about focusing and breathing. With 3 I spent a lot of time on a birth ball in the shower. She also used some aromatherapy, sniffing lemon oil on a pretty handkerchief.

A doula is well worth the money.

I went into labor two weeks early with my second, planned home birth. The tub was not even in the house or inflated and filled until about an hour before I delivered - my total labor time was only four hours and it was quite a ride. And definitely our hot water heater did not hold enough water to fill the thing. But once I got into that tub, I was totally relaxed, and felt a million times better. I don't know how you people give birth in the open air.

I really wished I could have gotten in earlier.

Oh, and I second the raspberry leaf tea. I drank gallons during my pregnancy, and I wonder if that contributed to the super short, efficient labor?

And if you labored in water, how important to you was it that the water be HOT?

Very. Veryveryveryvery. The water in my tub was so hot I can remember thinking that I was so uncomfortable, I was actually sweating, but I kept trying to get it to go even hotter because it helped so much. However, I was in a hospital tub, so the hot water was coming right from the tap. I don't know how hot you could keep it in a freestanding tub :(

Have you checked out Hypnobirthing? I've heard GREAT things about it. I don't know if you have enough time left, but it's supposed to work really well.

With my 2nd I had a doula (Our HMO was trying out the doulas to see if it was better to have them with the laboring moms or not, so there was no extra cost to us to have her). She was very nice, and helped, but I felt I didn't NEED her there. The one time I appreciated it though was when the contractions started getting stronger and more painful, She was massaging my shoulders and back, my dh was rubbing one foot and my mom was rubbing another foot! I had dh, my mom and my sister there. My sister was taking some pictures and being moral support. She also took over rubbing one of my feet off and on, and dh came up near my head and whispered sweet nothings! :D I LOVED having dh there! He was so supportive the whole time, and hugged me when I needed and stopped touching when it was too much for me. But holding my hand, telling me how much he loved me and how well I was doing was PRICELESS for me!

I drank lots of water or had ice chips to keep my mouth and lips moist. I also had Carmex there for dry lips.

Oh, dh also kept a log of what happened when, which is neat to look back on now! My last two were induced, so he put down when they started the pit, when they upped it when the first major contraction hit, etc.

The warm rice thing on the back was especially helpful with dd's birth. Hers was the only birth, thankfully, that I had back labor with. I didn't get as much massage, but I had my dh close by, which always (in all 3 births) helped calm me!!

With our oldest's birth, we went through the Lamaze type birthing classes, but that breathing technique didn't work AT ALL, with me! So, poor dh was trying to encourage me to breathe through the contractions, but it threw me off more than helped, so I yelled, "STOP BREATHING LIKE THAT, IT ISN'T WORKING!" That's the only time I raised my voice at him though, cuz I certainly didn't want him anywhere but with me! :)

This is probably kind of confusing cuz I typed it up as I thought of things. Hopefully you can make sense of it though!

Dh and I did the Bradley Method and LOVED it. The book we got the most tips from was not written by Dr. Bradley, but by.....Susan McCutcheon? McSomething? Maybe not even a Mc? Ack! Not much help. But if you're interested, an Amazon search should bring it up. My births were not pain free, but relaxing with these methods allows things to progress quickly and smoothly. So many of our instincts during labor actually slow things down!

I reached that total "otherworldliness" loss of modesty so I couln't stand to have anything on me. However, as a childbirth educator, I have seen some women wear sports bras, some have worn a short nightie or light robe. Personally, I would not want a sports bra because I want to be "available" to nurse my babies right away. I really want that skin-to-skin contact.

That's interesting. I've been working on my water because mw said I need to drink more. She said to shoot for 1 oz. per pound of body weight, but at 200 pounds now, that takes some serious effort! I'm definitely working on it though. Was that about the amount you shot for?

It's been a long time, but that sounds about right... I don't mind my water at room temp, so I'd just line up glasses or bottles on the kitchen counter and drink through them over the course of the day. It gave me a helpful visual. But you could also keep your own personal pitcher in the fridge with the amount (or keep post-its on the fridge to remind you how many refills you must do) for the day...

On the alone thing, would you describe yourself as an introvert? See it's weird, but I was watching these birth videos last night, and was thinking about things like whether dh would get in the birthing tub with me, etc. I just keep thinking that having someone really stay focused on me and with me would help. But maybe I'll change when I get in it? I just Maybe I'm just an emotional leech, haha.

Hm, it's hard to say. I'm one of those introverts who does well (most of the time) around other people, but then crashes hard after lots of people time -- I don't realize in the moment how much it's exhausting me. But I'm not *really* sure that has anything to do with how I am during labor. I love dh and I want his support, certainly, but this wasn't something he could do "with" or "for" me. He did help me some -- pouring warm water over my back when the pool wasn't filling fast enough, bringing me food and drink (I guess I should have mentioned that one -- I was hungry as a horse through most of my labor and while I was starved when I was at the hospital and eventually needed an IV for the dehydration and low blood sugar, at home I was able to eat and drink as I wished and that did help a ton... I was still as shaky as anything after the birth, but that could have been because of such a fast second-stage, I guess)...

Anyway, he was a big help, but this really was just something I needed to do on my own. For me, being left to work through this on my own was hugely helpful. And not having *other* people around... Well, I just don't know how other women do that! lol...

Oh, and as for laboring in the water. I wore nothing. I may have felt intensely private about this laboring, but that didn't translate into modesty. Of course, maybe part of that was because it *was* so private, I didn't have anything to be modest about! (Although a friend came by very shortly afterward to pick up ds and take him out to dinner for an hour or two while we got settled, and she saw me basically as I'd been for the last couple of hours. We both laughed about how *horrified* we'd have been at any other time, but neither of us even *thought* about it under the circumstance -- only later!) Anyway, I think if it's just you and your dh, you won't be concerned about it. And your midwife has assuredly seen a great many laboring women in all states of semi or un-dress.

That's interesting. I just keep thinking that having someone really stay focused on me and with me would help. But maybe I'll change when I get in it? I just Maybe I'm just an emotional leech, haha.

There is no such thing as a laboring woman who is an emotional leech. Labor is a vulnerable time. Women were meant to have support - however much she needs. Some of the strongest, most independent women I have ever known have needed a ton of support. Others who were terribly needy in my classes showed tremendous strength and inner resources during labor. You never can tell.

I haven't done a homebirth since both of my "natural" births were after having 2 c-sections so I have them in the hospital. However, I didn't use drugs for either of them. I actually used the combs and I LOVED them. I actually have them sitting on my headboard right now awaiting the first contractions of the next one (I'm due in 4 days). I used the rice bags with one of my VBA2C's and I used the birthing ball with the other.

At some point during labor I always start shaking uncontrollably and I find that to be incredibly distracting. With my first VBA2C my doula applied pressure on my legs at the lighs and slowly slid her hands down to my knees. In about 5 minutes the shaking stopped and I could totally focus again. I made hubby do that during my second VBA2C although he wasn't quite as effective as the doula.

I also really like the quiet. With my first VBA2C, the doula told me when each contraction was about to start, wehn it was peaking, when it was tapering off etc. I found that quite obnoxious. I just couldn't handle the extra noise. With my second VBA2C, I counted during my contractions and so I knew I was peaking, close to the end but I didn't have to have the verbal sound. I also found myself envisioning where the baby was and mentally "talking" her down and out. I wasn't planning on that approach, it just happened and it helped me cope.

I also delivered on hands and knees both times. Being in the hospital of course they tried to get me on my back but I wasn't budging. And with only 2 pushes to get the baby out, it wasn't like there was much time for them to do anything but play catch.

I think it's hard to totally plan these things out, it's nice to have some ideas but then when you are actually in the moment you just go with whatever works even if it is totally unconvential.

Stephanie

We did an unassisted home water birth for baby #5. I have very fast labors (once I know for sure I'm in labor they've ranged from one hour total to three hours; the "hard" part is only about 20 minutes). Anyway, so we put the high-sided wading pool up in our bedroom and hooked a garden hose up to the shower in the adjoining bathroom to be ready. Once we started filling it -- we ran out of hot water, lol. So I had tepid water to get into (and it didn't get any warmer IYKWIM!). Later a midwife told me it's better for the water to be a bit cold than a bit hot -- too hot isn't good according to *her* (I think she meant for the baby to be birthed into; if labor lasts awhile then it oughtn't be too hot by the time of delivery).

I wear a tank top in the water and change as soon as the baby's born and I get out.

I haven't had a water birth since then b/c it really didn't do anything for me painwise. That's what I was hoping for. The labor/delivery was too fast for it to do anything I guess (or the water was too cold and we were putting mind thought into wondering if we were water birthing right, lol).

Which brings me to what helps me most painwise: I agree with the pp who said accepting the fact that it's going to get a bit uncomfortable helped me the most. It's just *natural* for it to be a bit intense. So I don't focus on that but on the baby and the process. I just keep thinking about "crossing to the other side" -- the baby being in our arms. I will confess that having quick labors helps A LOT too!!!! :)

Telling myself that my body was designed for this -- that I could just lay there and not "help" in any way and the baby would still come out. Relaxing into that, into the fact that millions of women have given birth and it's a natural thing. I guess I'm saying it's more mental for me than physical. OH, and I agree, though, with the ones who mentioned red raspberry leaf tea. I do think it brought me a quicker/easier delivery for baby #6. I loathed perineum massage (ick!), btw.

After reading a few more responses (and LOL!), I'll also add this. I went to great pains to find and buy a light but supportive bra top for the tub, but it was THE LAST thing on my mind by the time I hit that water. In fact, later on I realized just how uncomfortable I would have been had I been wearing it. A tech came in to...I don't even remember now...draw some blood or something? And it was pretty obvious she was little flustered (but just a little) by the logistics of drawing blood from the gigantic, panting, naked woman in the roiling hot tub, but I could not have cared less. As my mother informed me while I was pondering that part of my labor prep before the big day, "They could bring the janitor in for a visit and you will not even notice." I was totally in the experience and didn't worry about much else :D

And about DH's presence. I had him totally prepped for all the things I might say or want, and what to tell me and how to encourage me and remind me to breathe. When it came right down to it, though, I was alone in my own little world. I could dimly hear him saying the right things, and all I could think was, "Shut up SHUT UP!" He did and said everything right, but I was swept away by it all. Everyone's different though, so there's no telling how you'll really feel. I went from 6 cm, water still intact to fully dilated, water broken very quickly, so there wasn't much time for my head to transition. I would say, prep him for the possible ways you might need him, but also be prepared to go inside yourself if that's what happens. Does that make any sense?

came from my midwife w/baby #1 and I used it w/my subsequent 3 dc after that, too. In one of my prenatal appts my midwife demonstrated what the uterus is actually doing during contractions. She did this simply by forming the shape of a uterus and reforming it with each contraction, moving the pebbles. Her demo took forever - but perhaps this is why it was so embedded in my mind! I can't explain it very well here, LOL but when the contractions came on harder, I kept that image in my mind and the knowledge that with each contraction, I was closer to holding my baby! Let them come! The other thing she told me was to submit my body to the birth process. Don't allow your body to fight... remember each contraction is squeezing your baby down through the birth canal. Therefore, choose to submit to each contraction. Thirdly, although I didn't plan this beforehand, the awareness of Christ's suffering on the cross, His submission to death for me was crystal clear and I clung to this image.

These things saw me through four gentle births - silently. It seemed I used my pain - internalized it - rather than wasting that energy on screaming. Whenever I felt like screaming out b/c of the pain, I chose instead to focus on the process - and on the joy set before me (as Christ "endured for the joy set before Him"). I had good midwives who helped & encouraged me to this end as well - something we talked about beforehand as I wanted my babies to know a "gentle entrance".

All the best, OhElizabeth! May your birth experience be something you treasure always:)

Cheryl

Oh ladies, I so appreciate all your comments and experiences and tips you've shared! You got me to thinking about things I hadn't thought through, and you're right, that while I WANT that focused birth, I wasn't thinking through what it would take to get me there, only what would cut some pain. We're a month away now, and I've got some thinking to do! And yes, I think I'm going to bug my mw to give me the birthing tub at my 36 weeks appt and not wait till the 38, just in case! ;)

I looked up those books, but it's getting kind of late. I think I already know my mantra for this one though, haha... I read it in an Ina May Gaskin book, "I'm gonna open up HUGE." Nuff said. :)

although I didn't plan this beforehand, the awareness of Christ's suffering on the cross, His submission to death for me was crystal clear and I clung to this image ... I chose instead to focus on the process - and on the joy set before me (as Christ "endured for the joy set before Him").

I do this, too, Cheryl! And the Scripture section about Jesus saying "Let's go to the other side" [of the lake], him getting in the boat and falling asleep [he knew they were "going to the other side], the storm, the hushing, coming to the other side .... this helps me every time. I'm going to the "other side!" (Getting where I'm supposed to go -- baby in my arms).

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I power walked in my house for two of my births. When it got to the point where I just couldn't stand it anymore, I got in the shower and turned the water on hot. After that it was pretty much time to push. Both times.

...although I know it's a little too close now. But I used it for my last two births and they were both very manageable pain-wise.

Even without the program though, a few key points can help. It is primarily a focused relaxation, a self-hypnosis if you will, but I always found it to be more of a state of very deep relaxation. Keeping my mind and body very relaxed was a matter of utterly trusting my body to do what it was designed to do. Calm keeps the bursts of adrenaline to a minimum, and this and fear are both big factors in the body fighting against the contractions, which intensifies the pain.

I am very touch oriented, and had a fabulous doula the last time who frequently massaged my calves and feet and lower back. It was heavenly and the happy endorphins really help me to redirect my mind away from discomfort.

Laboring and birthing in water is also a biggie for me. How big will your birthing tub be? We bought several of those pool noodles, and my husband attached them with a few plastic ties. Between contractions I would lean over on the noodles and completely relax my body and let my legs float a bit. Then I'd raise up a bit on my knees to push and then relax on the noodles again.

I mostly listened to the hypnobabies birthing day affirmations during labor, but some soothing, floaty-type mood music was really nice too. Basically, the more calm and peaceful the environment, the easier it was to stay focused on the task at hand.

and this was extremely effective for me. I had quick intense labors and what I most needed to do was to "get out of the way" somehow to let my body do its thing efficiently. Once I had mastered staying totally limp and relaxed, I just practiced doing that with every single contraction.

My dh also learned how to rub my hands and feet, very gently, for an hour straight-LOL. It felt heavenly.

When you get to transition, it is important to still relax as throroughly as you can, which I managed, but started moaning to manage the pain at the increasingly long peaks. After I moaned-Loudly-for about 2 minutes straight, I just felt a huge push happening. As soon as you begin to believe you can't possibly manage it any longer, the baby comes.

Progressive relaxation is an anxiety control method that you should be able to find lots of information on. It is very helpful during labor.

I read Helen Wessel's The Joy of Natural Childbirth and this helped me to learn how to mentally and physically deal with the pain. Though I do believe she goes over the top saying that birth should not be painful, I liked the premesis of the book.

However, I experienced a panic attack before baby #7. It was the middle of the night and suddenly I awoke, overcome with fear about giving birth. My heart was racing and I was so focused on the thoughts of impending pain and suffering...

It was then that I cried out to God in prayer for strength to help me trust Him. I just kept uttering Scripture outloud to denounce the negativity and darkness that I felt inside. This was before labor had even started.

God answered my prayers and lifted the burden of fear. I was able to totally let go during labor, too. I just breathed and let my body go limp (and acceptance inside of the birth process).

It was funny how after baby #7 was born...I was drenched and soaked with sweat. This was so different from previous births.

I will pray for you!

Blessings,

Camy

My best antidote to pain is to just stay calm and go through it "head-on." The calm helped keep my pain to a minimum--deep breathing through it all.

When I had my ds, I had back labor and what helped tremendously was counter-pressure. At times my husband pressed his whole body weight into my lower back--usually with his fist or elbow.

And if you labored in water, how important to you was it that the water be HOT? I can't figure out how these birthing tabs, just the inflatable/portable kind, are going to keep the water very warm for long. Did you turn up your water heater close to your due date?

We used the fishy blow up pool. It worked very well and kept the water hot enough for me. When we filled it, we started with straight hot water and then slowly the hotwater drained from the tank and enough cold water poured in to get it the right temperature (actually I think it was a little too warm initially but it was ok because I wasn't ready to get in). When it cooled down later, they scooped out a pot of water (6 qt?) and poured in boiling water. I think we filled the tub about 8 hrs before I used it and we only added additional hot once near the end. I can't remember but I Think we draped a plastic sheet over it to keep the heat in when I wasn't in it.

Other tips- keep your toes and your face (especially your mouth) relaxed. As soon as the contraction is over, remind yourself that you will NEVER have to handle that contraction again! Imagine yourself riding a wave up and down.

Something else that helped me was knowing that it is not possible to feel pain in the uterus! Dr. Sears Birth Book was great at helping me relax with #1.

As others said, submit to the contraction and know what the contraction will result in. Feel yourself opening to deliver your baby into your arms.