257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear makeup?

• Yes, full face, everyday.
    • Light makeup, eyes, lips only.
    • Full face, special occasions only.
    • Light makeup, special occasions only.
    • Foundation/ coverup only.
    • Lip gloss only.
    • Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends how I feel.
    • Never. Ick.
    • Other.

Not a homeschool mom thing. Many of my homeschool friends wear make-up and look fabulous everytime I see them.

I wear it occassionally. I think mascara alone does a lot for me and I like the way BB cream evens out my skin tone, but I run in the afternoons and I sweat a lot when I do that, so I kind of see it as pointless endeavor in the morning. Besides there are other things I'd rather do with that 5 minutes. Like post on a message board about why I often don't wear make-up. :)

Not a homeschool mom thing. Many of my homeschool friends wear make-up and look fabulous everytime I see them.

I wear it occassionally. I think mascara alone does a lot for me and I like the way BB cream evens out my skin tone, but I run in the afternoons and I sweat a lot when I do that, so I kind of see it as pointless endeavor in the morning. Besides there are other things I'd rather do with that 5 minutes. Like post on a message board about why I often don't wear make-up. :)

Most of my homeschool friends would say that I wear make-up every time they see me...because I do. But I still don't wear it most of the time, because I don't wear it when I'm just chilling at home.

What is BB cream? I need some of that even skin tone action!

I wear makeup almost every day. It feels to me like part of getting dressed (along with styling my hair). When I was younger, I didn't wear any and I just threw my hair up in a ponytail... I could get away with it (and still look decent) because I had youth on my side. Now that I'm pushing 40, taking a bit of time (like, 15 minutes tops!) to fix my hair and put on makeup (hide my eye circles, even my skin tone, fill in my brows, a bit of mascara) makes me feel "presentable." I don't freak out if someone sees me without makeup. I just prefer wearing it. 

What is BB cream? I need some of that even skin tone action!

Janie, I can't remember what the BB stands for, but basically it is a tinted moisturizer. I've tried all sorts of foundations, mineral and otherwise, and I think they all make my skin look worse. However, the BB cream seems to make my skin tone look better, maybe it's lighter coverage or something, I've only tried L'Oreal.

I was going to post a link to a thread where BB cream was discussed. I thought I had it bookmarked, but can't find it. So I searched by typing in BB Cream and pages upon pages of posts came up, none of which had anything to do with BB Cream. AAARGH! So if your search skills are better than mine, there was a thread here awhile ago where people posted their favorite BBs and even CC creams. If you find it let me know, 'cause I wanted to try a couple of them.

ETA: I found it by looking for posts by Audrey, because I knew she posted in it. :) Anyhoo, here's the link: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/500492-do-you-have-a-favorite-bb-beauty-balm/

I wear eyeliner most days (because my eyebrows and eyelashes are nearly invisible, so I need something to compensate!), and lip balm to keep my lips a bit fuller. Occasionally mascara. I've tried a million times to add powder or foundation to even out my skin tone a bit, and it either looks unnatural to me or causes me to break out immediately--even the sensitive skin stuff. Thankfully, my skin is generally clear and my skin tone is pretty good, so I don't worry about it too much. 

I am actually kind of surprised to see how many people wear little or no makeup so frequently. Maybe it's because I'm from Utah, and Utahns LOVE their makeup. I don't think I have more than a handful of friends from home who wear makeup as little as I do.

Or is this a homeschool mom thing? (Because most of my friends from home are SAHMs and they definitely wear a full face on most days.)

Just curious.

I think it's at least partially regional. In SoCal, not wearing makeup was akin to skipping a bra. "Did you see her? She wasn't even wearing makeup. She's not even trying."

Most other places I have lived, it's less expected. 

I am wondering if homeschool moms are less made up in general. I rarely see a heavily made up mom at a homeschool event. I would guess light makeup is more the norm. 

Sometimes I wear mascara if I think I look especially lashless. I have tried wearing foundation but it looks too unnatural. I have been using powder, brushing it on.

When I look at myself in mirrors out in public (restrooms) my face looks red and white and kinda splotchy, I don't look like that at home. So I try to wear makeup when I go out some of the time.

I haven't found a lip shade I like so what I wear usually looks like nothing at all. I can't find a shade I like in liquid foundation or powder.

Nails? I don't care about that at all.

I like how I look in the mirror but in photos, it's not what I see in the mirror and I really don't like that! I know it's the reverse thing, but bleh.

I don't wear makeup. I used to wear a very little bit on occasion but once I had kids old enough to watch me put it on I stopped. I didn't like the message I felt I was sending to my boys. They saw me putting on makeup and my husband did not. I felt like I was teaching them that a woman's appearance is more important than who she is or what she does. Most men don't have to worry about such things and just live with their faces as they are. Why should women be any different? Why should I have to conform to different standards just because I am a woman? Is is because I am supposed to be decorative? So I might look tired, so what? I don't think my husband worries about looking tired or like he is 'not trying' when he walks out of the house.

I should add that it was an easy thing for me to do because I have never lived in an area where makeup was regarded as necessary. If anything, a woman who is fully made up would stand out in a bad way. I have of female friends who are lawyers or professors or judges (and even the District Atty and a police sgt, lol) and none of them wear make up ever. It would be different if this were a big corporate town, but it isn't.

I think it's at least partially regional. In SoCal, not wearing makeup was akin to skipping a bra. "Did you see her? She wasn't even wearing makeup. She's not even trying."

Most other places I have lived, it's less expected. 

I am wondering if homeschool moms are less made up in general. I rarely see a heavily made up mom at a homeschool event. I would guess light makeup is more the norm. 

Weird. Having lived in SoCal practically my whole life and not regularly wearing make up, this is news to me.