Menu

I want to make a rich, creamy soup.

Truscifi

Hmm. Those look fabulous. I'm not in a seafood mood, but the potato and the pumpkin both look good. I found a sweet potato peanut soup recipe too. It doesn't actually have cream in it, but it would be pretty creamy from the pureed sweet potato, right?

Now I have to go look in my pantry and see if I can make any of these without going to the store!

Creamy Lentil Soup

6 slices of bacon

2 C. chopped leek

1 C. chopped onion

1 C. water

2 C. peeled, chopped baking potato

1 C. dried lentils

3/4 C. chopped carrot

1 t. salt

4 C. good broth or stock – chx or beef

1/2 C. cream

2T. dry sherry

Cook bacon in large, heavy pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and add leeks and onion. Saute 4 minutes. Add stock, water, potato, carrot, lentils and salt.

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour until vegetables are tender.

Puree some (or all) of the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Stir in cream and sherry and heat until warm through.

Serve with chopped bacon on top.

*Leeks are good, but you can use all onion and it works fine.

Adapted from Cooking Light.

What I really miss, being vegan now, for allergy reasons, is my cheese soups.  I used to make a broccoli cheese soup (which i kinda made up - probably saute onions in butter, add chicken broth, chopped broccoli, thyme, black pepper, cook until broccoli is done, add milk or cream, heat, add corn starch/milk to thicken, then melt in a stick of good cheddar).  I also used to make this cheese/vegetable chowder, which is probably what I based the broccoli soup on. 

Hubby hates creamy soups, so now the creamiest soups I make are just potato soups that cook until the potatoes fall apart.  

Pumpkin Soup? I'm not a fan of Rachael Ray, but this recipe is a favorite at my house. I've made the relish once when I had company, but usually I just garnish with craisins and call it good.

THIS soup is a favorite of mine. I add walnuts to the relish. MAKE the relish. It's worth it.

I also like her chicken dumpling soup recipe. It's all rich and yummy and a complete meal in one pot. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chicken-and-dumplings-recipe/index.html

When I want something creamy and hearty, I make Potato Skin Soup. That's what we call it. Just make potato soup however you like, then purée some of the potatoes and add some sour cream to thicken it. Wen you serve it, top with crumbled bacon, cheese, and sliced green onions.

Lemon Tarragon Chicken Soup

6T butter

3T olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

1T minced garlic

1/2 C flour

6 C chicken broth

1T dried tarragon

2 dashes Tabasco sauce

2C diced cooked chicken

1 C heavy cream

1/4 C lemon juice

Salt to taste

In a 4qt saucepan, Sauté onion in butter and oil until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute. Mix in flour. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, add remaining ingredients and heat through. Serves 8.

So many delicious ideas in this thread! I love a creamy soup in cold weather, so I'll definitely be trying some of these in the next couple of weeks.

I made a roasted carrot and pumpkin bisque tonight. It was going to be just pumpkin, but I didn't have quite enough. I think the carrots were a good addition though - they added a nice depth of flavor and a little sweetness.

Creamy Lentil Soup

6 slices of bacon

2 C. chopped leek

1 C. chopped onion

1 C. water

2 C. peeled, chopped baking potato

1 C. dried lentils

3/4 C. chopped carrot

1 t. salt

4 C. good broth or stock – chx or beef

1/2 C. cream

2T. dry sherry

Cook bacon in large, heavy pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and add leeks and onion. Saute 4 minutes. Add stock, water, potato, carrot, lentils and salt.

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour until vegetables are tender.

Puree some (or all) of the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Stir in cream and sherry and heat until warm through.

Serve with chopped bacon on top.

*Leeks are good, but you can use all onion and it works fine.

Adapted from Cooking Light.

I'm not generally a lentil lover but this looks :drool5: