Menu

Drilling math facts

KSinNS

Dd, age 7, is having trouble remembering her math facts (adding and subtracting at this point). She's in MUS Beta, and understands the concepts etc, but she uses her fingers and toes most of the time. She's accurate and fairly quick, but the fingers and toes will slow her down (and she can't do math with socks on :-}). I had exactly the same problem at her age, and I found not having facts memorized a big problem as I got older. We've drilled and killed but they just don't stick. I can't sit with her for hours and do flash cards or other mommy directed drill because I've got four other kids and a part-time job, so something cheap and computerized. We've tried some apps on the iPad (math ahoy-big hit!), todo (also good), zombie math (great drill but she hates the zombies). Any fun drill strategies that have worked for you guys? 

Thanks!

Sterling Math facts - by far the best thing out there in my opinion. You can set the initial "time out" to anything you want. I usually start it at 10 seconds for my kids so they don't get frustrated. I also build up slowly, and only add in new facts after they have completely mastered all the previous facts. Practicing daily is also key. My oldest is only now to the point where she isn't really practicing much anymore, which is after 3 YEARS of daily practice, and 1 year after having mastered them all to keep them fresh.

I think it helps to keep your child's learning styles in mind. My dd is very much an audio learner and xtramath doesn't help her as much as repeating the facts aloud. We use all methods, but it is easier for her to get them glued into her mind with spoken repetition. 

What is your child's strongest learning style?

We use several iPad apps for math facts:

Mathopolis (very organized, by fact family.  Does have a timer, don't know if it's optional)

Dot-to-dot math (not very organized in fact presentation but they love it and beg to do it -- also has free trials)

The RightStart Math games are widely referred to as a great way to reinforce facts... but we've bought them and never get around to them.  TWICE.

Cheap and computerized?

My kids LOVE Reflex Math....well except for dd6 who can't take the pressure of being timed. It always ends up with her rage quitting. It's not pretty. So for her, Facts First is slightly better because it works with one fact family at a time, is very repetitive and builds on previous lessons. There are a few games at the end, but nothing near as fun as ReflexMath games. Facts First is part of Skills Tutor, which has other subjects like science and LA.

This is my exact problem with DS6. We spent a year almost doing Xtra Math and got absolutely nowhere. He was stuck at 38% all year.  He HATES  being timed. Are you saying that Facts First is not timed? I have been doing just regular flash cards but confess that even I can grow impatient with that. He takes awhile. It would be nice to have a computer thing to do that was not so stressful for him.

Thanks for the reflex link.  Hadn't heard of it before, but signed up for reflex free trial today and DS enjoyed it.  Is it ever on HSBC or on a sale?  Apps we use and enjoy are Math Zombies, math Bingo, Mystery Town Math, etc.  Will also check out Math Ahoy, Mathopolis and Dot to Dot Math.  

We've tried some apps on the iPad (math ahoy-big hit!), todo (also good), zombie math (great drill but she hates the zombies). Any fun drill strategies that have worked for you guys? 

Thanks!

Thanks for the rec of "todo math".... my kindergartner is LOVING this app.  It's fantastic for being free!  We'll have to check out Math Ahoy next.  What is the game play like on this?  Is it easier math facts, easy to use for a kid?  I looked at it but couldn't really tell what it was like...

So, here's a thought... I heard Diane Craft speak about a year ago.  She talked about making math "right brained" for children who need that.  She has number cards with dots on them to teach addition.  I bought them, but my son didn't take to those (I think he was on the verge of figuring it out himself).  I would highly suggest those and looking up her math lessons to see how to use them.  It was an excellent process.  It honors your daughter's learning style, but will get her further in the long run than fingers and toes.  She has a whole process for how to do this "dot" process on paper.  I think your choice of MUS is excellent.

When you get to multiplication Diane Craft also has multiplication story cards.  I've used them with 2 ds's with success.  Basically, she draw pictures around the numbers in the fact and tells a story.  The idea is the child pictures the "story" in their mind to remember the numbers in the fact.  It's working splendidly right now with my ds8, who is mathy, but is very visual and LOVES stories so this is helping him learn them in a fun way.

If you google Diane Craft you'll find her site.  You'll see the cards in the store, but I also think there are some pages on how to teach math.  If not, I highly recommend purchasing her material.   Very helpful info and worth the investment!  It would give you a different way to approach it that your daughter might enjoy instead of drill and kill.

I don't believe in drill (and kill - which kills their interest in math). Give them a chart, let them use it to do higher level math. After using the chart over and over it will sink in. In the mean time, the higher math, the more puzzling problems, the more interesting questions will continue to keep them interested in math.

I know you want something that isn't teacher-intensive, but we used flash cards for about 5 minutes a day for a couple of weeks and that was all he needed to get them down. 

This was what we did. We also kept a chart of ds's times and had goals. When he got through the cards in under 5 minutes for 3 weeks running (timed once a week), he could get a comic book (or other treat). Then we aimed for under 3 min.

One thing I did though was any time he got a fact wrong, he had to repeat it three times aloud - including the fact, so "Six times seven is forty-two." This way he got used to saying it aloud so with a mental freeze, he could recite "six times seven..." and it would lead him to 42.

I didn't have my times tables memorized and it really slowed me down, so I made sure ds had his SOLID. (It wasn't until grad school that I finally memorized my nines without using fingers, so I refused to show ds that trick for multiplication.)

Thanks, all. There's some great hints here!

I really struggle with figuring out her learning style, to be honest. She's not clearly in any category, but more kinaesthetic than anything, She hates the MUS blocks (because her brothers don't use them) but she likes her fingers and toes and counting on a yardstick. She can't remember math facts done orally (I tried that because that worked for me eventually). We've had similar problems with her violin where she can remember neither the note names or the finger numbers (unless I sing the note too, so I"m guessing she's tying the finger to the sound...which is ideal long term, but a bit complicated now, esp with sight reading). She has trouble with symbols in general. She has taken invented spelling to an impressive level (we're working on that very gently). And she has a short attention span and a short memory for math facts, spelling. I hate to say, that makes her my daughter :-}. That being said, she has a great memory for stories and poems, and great critical thinking skills, and a surprising understanding of human interactions. Anyway, we've been doing Xtramath, and so far she isn't too frustrated. We'll probably try reflex or one of the others when she gets sick of it. She broke through on reading this year, and I'm sure the rest will come. 

Thanks again!!!!

For a kid like you describe, I would try the ideas at handsonmath.com and the lesson plans at livingmath.net. The newsletter from handsonmath.com has good lesson ideas. You could give math circles a try for multiplication too.

For years I gave my sons access to a times table when they needed it, assuming the facts would eventually sink in by repeated use. They did, but the boys are slow to recall them, and this has hindered them on tests. So this year I implemented Calculadder. The boys race against their previous scores. They really like it (I have no idea why) and it is easier than I thought it would be to pop a sheet out and go. It takes about three minutes in our day. We can really see the progress inside just a week since each test is timed and your child's time recorded. Knowing you shaved five seconds off your score today is rewarding and it becomes kind of addictive to try to beat your best score.

On the reflex math it states that it's common core compliant.  So of course that worries me because of some videos that I've seen on teaching common core math.  For those of you who are using the program.  Is it more about repetition in memorizing the facts or do they break down the program into dashes and such?  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=common%20core%20math&sm=3