Menu

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Halcyon

My kindles just died waaaaah! I have had this beauty for five long, beautiful, book filled years.

I think I got the screen wet during this ridiculous monsoon down here in Florida, even though it was in my bag.

I am going to give it overnight. Maybe it will come back to life? Maybe pack it in rice?

Man, I love this little guy. Sniff.

OMG, are you okay????  Should we send flowers?  Or maybe chocolate?  I'll send it happy thoughts and maybe it will wake up tomorrow.  If not, it's always a good excuse to get the new paper white Kindle, which is awesome.  My friend has one and it is so much better than my old Kindle (3rd gen Keyboard 3G).

Let us know how it is!

What Jann in TX said. Definitely don't turn it on until it has dried out for a few days at least.  Turning it on prematurely can cause significant damage. 

I recently had this happen with our laptop (one of our cats knocked a flower vase over on the laptop's keyboard and it was drenched in water). It took about a week of drying out to come back on. 

Pack in rice and let it set for a week or so.

Do not try to turn it on-- if you did all is not lost--but that can cause more damage...

There is hope... plus the new Paperwhites are awesome!

This. We've resurrected many a cell phone this way. I can't see why the kindle would be different.

Have you tried resetting it? There are troubleshooting tips on Amazon's site for the different models.

ETA: I had the impression from your OP that you were just guessing about it getting wet. If it wasn't submerged in water, I doubt that's the problem.

Nah, it wasn't submerged. Got a little wet, if anything. DH thinks it just got old and it was its time to go. I will give it a few days in off mode. 

Mine died a few weeks ago. I was very sad to see it go. Then I got the new Paperwhite, and I don't feel even the teensiest bit of guilt that I'm now glad the old one died!

:iagree:

I'm so in love with my new paperwhite I think my husband is jealous. You should hope yours is broken.

Back in August my dh stepped on my kindle. We were camping and it was next to my sleeping bag and it was dark.  A stepped on Kindle is not a pretty sight. I've been calling him a kindle killer ever since. 

There is a rumor that he is going to a conference where he might have a chance to win a kindle fire, and he has already said if he wins it will go to me.

My first kindle died a couple of years ago. Well, it didn't really die but, it was only showing text on half the screen. I bought it when kindles first came out so, it was a few years old. I called Amazon to complain and they sent me a refurbished one free of charge! Needless to say, I am an Amazon customer for life! I'm thinking of getting the paperwhite now... Definitely call them...

I am so sorry for your loss! I can't imagine. I love that thing so much. That said, if yours is that old you are due for a newer, better one. Get a paperwhite, it has the built in back lighting, etc. I adore mine. Probably love it more than the husband some days, lol.

Oh, and if/when you get a new one, you can get insurance on it from squaretrade. I break everything, so that's what we do now. They've been great to work with when I've broken my phone....multiple times. I get a new on in 24-48 hours. 

Well the good thing is your books will all be in "the cloud" when you get a new one! I just got a paperwhite and really like it!

Yeah, me, too. My old Kindle died last year. The screen had lines. I tried the troubleshooting, but it was just done. 

The new paperwhite is so superior, I gotta say I'm not altogether sad. The cloud thing is awesome.