Menu

Freezing at bedtime, then burning up?

alisoncooks

Anyone else like this?

Man!  At bedtime, I am always freezing.  I wear fuzzy pants, socks, shirt, and an extra blanket.  I snuggle down deep... and my hands and feet are still ice cubes.  FWIW, I am not freezing until I get into bed (I can be fine around the house just prior to bed.)

Gradually, I get comfortable and am able to fall asleep.

Then, sometimes during the middle of the night, I wake up BLAZING HOT.  Sweating.  Off come the socks, pants, extra blanket.  Kick a leg outside the covers to cool down.

Anyone else have a pattern like this?  It's so annoying!  My DH is not like this at all.  I don't think it's menapausal... I'm in my early 30s and haven't had any other signs of change.

Me too, always.  Except I do get chilly before bedtime.  I read once that, whenever you are warmer, thats your 'awake' time - so i go to bed freezing and wake up hot, because i'm a morning person, and dh goes to bed hot, and wakes up freezing, because he's a night person.  

I hate in the summer how, as the temp falls outside, the a/c doesnt run and the house gets stuffier and i wake up in the middle of the night way too hot to sleep.  I hated cosleeping with 2 kids because I was always too hot to sleep in the middle of the night.  And i hate super cold nights where the heater kicks in to backup and blasts hot air in my face at 4 am.  grrrr

Yes! Right now I have the a/c set to come on in the middle of the night to cool me down. The family freezes all night, but I can't take the "hot" feeling. I put the heat on in the morning to warm the house back up again. It is even worse in the summer! I have a fan that blows right on me as well. I have been this way for years and years.

I occasionally have that problem but the following has helped: hot water bottle or wheat pillow:)

I wear enough clothing to be comfortable all night, then stick a hot water bottle or a wheat pillow down by my toes. It keeps me comfortable when I fall asleep but it cools down slowly and I am comfortable all night.

Since you feel fine before you get into bed, maybe you should warm your sheets. Or is it the act of changing out of warm clothing into pajamas that chills you? Maybe you need to change for bed earlier in the evening so your body can adjust to pajamas before climbing into bed.

I use an electric mattress pad. It has dual controls so that DH doesn't have to heat his side if he doesn't want to. I turn it on about 20 minutes before bed to a high setting. When I get into bed I bump it to the lowest setting. I also wear thinner clothing so that in the middle of the night, when I get hot, I'm not all bundled up. This helps. Doesn't solve it for me, but helps.

I keep my blow dryer on my nightstand and use it to warm the sheets and under the pillow (where I tuck my hands) before I get in. I don't wear pj bottoms because my legs get too warm, but they feel too chilly if I don't warm the sheets. I do wear short socks to bed when it's cold. 

They say you have to be warm to get to sleep and cool to stay asleep. Warming the sheets and not wearing warm stuff to bed helps me do that. 

But I still usually get up to pee... :lol:

I've never even heard of a bed warmer.

Question:  those that use these, do you live in a colder climate?

Maybe I'll start off with a hot water bottle.  That might help my feet.

Might should get one for my old dog, too (shivery chihuahua).  He's always cold.

If you have a hot water bottle, I'd try that. 

We don't use a wheat pillow, but a rice filled cotton sack heated in the microwave for a few minutes. It warms the bed and holds the heat for a while but not too long. All you have to do is put some rice in a cotton pillow case or other cotton material and tie or sew it shut.

Oh yeah.  This happens to me as well.  I found that if I take off my socks I cool down some.  Weird right? 

Not at all. Socks make a huge difference in how warm you are. Even in the daytime. I can be cold and put on a pair of socks and be much warmer.

Add me to the list as well. I used to go to bed with sweats and sock on, only to wake up later and change into a little night shirt. Now, I just put an extra blanket on top of the others, and when I get hot, I toss it off the side of the bed. Much less disturbance that way, lol. Of course, I actually do have hot flashes now too, but I always had the same problem you do even before hot flashes.

i go to bed with pjs and socks on - after dh comes and warms the bed i'll drop at least 1 piece of clothing.  middle-of-the-night-wake-cuz-i'm-hot-and-have-to-pee i shed whatever else i'm wearing and throw the bigger comforter off.  but i dont put anything ON lol . . . 

I don't think it's menapausal... I'm in my early 30s and haven't had any other signs of change.

Oh, I was going to say it's menopausal. :)  Because I'm like this, too, but it didn't happen until the last couple of years (I'm mid-40s).  Maybe if it's not pre-menopausal, it's still hormone-related though?

Putting the hot water bottle in the bed for my feet is part of my nightly routine. By the time I brush teeth and put on moisturizer, the bottom part of the bed is toasty warm. I put my iceberg feet on the hot water bottle and as soon as they warm up, I can go to sleep.