Menu

Breakfast casserole?

Bensmom

Last year several ladies posted breakfast casserole recipes that can be made the night before and just popped in the oven Xmas morning. I made one and it was great...but I can't remember the recipe. (I am not a natural in the kitchen and most follow directions!)

Open to trying something new this year...as long as it can be put together ahead of time.

Please post your favorite breakfast.

I found a recipe online and amended it to show how I make it. I actually made it this morning. Yum!!!

1 pound ground pork sausage - I like the hot kind, but you can use any breakfast sausage, turkey included

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teasponn onion powder

1 teaspoon mustard powder- I use Coleman's

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

6 eggs, beaten

1 1/2- 2 cups milk (I like enough egg goo to cover the bread and meat, so if you need to you can add an extra egg and milk mixed together)

6 slices bread, I use whatever is around (wheat, sourdough, etc. old bread is better)

8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions-

Cook sausage over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.

In a medium bowl, mix together everything but the sausage, bread, and cheese.

Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly.

Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover and bake until everything is set and bubbly.

Mine is similar enough to FriedClams' that it doesn't need a separate post.  The only real differences are that I use 8 eggs, and the combo is not all mixed together but layered - bread slices smushed in the bottom, then sausage, then cheese, then pour the egg goo (love that phrase!) over the whole thing.  It doesn't come out layered, though, so I don't know why I should bother with that part anymore. 

Hmm ... now that I'm thinking of it ... I might add a chopped onion this year, now that DS has finally seen the light and likes them!  :drool5:

I make mine with croissants to make it lighter and fluffyier. Yummy! 4 large or 6 medium sized.

In  a buttered 9x 12 casserole:

half of the croissants (cut tinto 1" pieces)

meat, veggies

1/2 of the cheese

rest of the croissants

pour egg/milk mixture over (I usaully use 10 eggs and whole milk)

1/2 of the cheese

cover with plastic wrap and press down to ensure that the liquid covers everything.

refrigerate for at least 4 hours and bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.

Biscuit and gravy casserole- yum. 

http://theroadtodomestication.com/2013/05/08/biscuits-gravy-casserole/

I saw this on Pinterest and made it at Thanksgiving and it was delicious AND reheated perfectly the next day. I didn't use any bacon, though. Really, with the sausage and everything else, bacon just seems like overkill. 

Oh ... My ... Goodness!  :drool5:

I have to disagree, however, with the bacon being overkill.  ;)  And I would use the real deal for both meats - not turkey.  But I'm a sicko that way.

I saw this on Pinterest and made it at Thanksgiving and it was delicious AND reheated perfectly the next day. I didn't use any bacon, though. Really, with the sausage and everything else, bacon just seems like overkill. 

Oh my gosh.  My southern, biscuit-and-gravy-loving-self is drooling over that casserole!

:drool:  :drool:  :drool:

I really love this breakfast casserole, and it is highly adaptable. I've made it vegetarian style, added more veggies, added sausage as well as bacon and so forth. It reheats very well too.

http://bakerette.com/breakfast-casserole-amish-style/

Ingredients

1 pound sliced bacon, diced

1 medium onion, chopped

1-2 cloves garlic, minced

8 eggs, beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

24 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed

2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) small curd cottage cheese

1 1/4 cups Swiss cheese, shredded

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking dish by lightly coating with cooking spray.

Dice the bacon into bite-size pieces prior to cooking. In a large skillet, combine the onion and bacon and cook until bacon is crisp. Drain. Return the skillet to the stove and add the minced garlic. Stir for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove from stove.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Stir in the bacon mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minute before serving.

I get a lot of people ask me to make this.  You can play with the ingredients (add onions, mushrooms, broccoli, ect...try a different cheese)...

This is the recipe as written, see my changes below!

6 slices of bread

8 ounces cheddar cheese

1 1/2 cups cooked ham

1/4 cup butter

4 eggs beaten

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground mustard

2 cups milk

Lightly grease a 9X13 baking pan.  Line pan with slices of bread.

Sprinkle cheese over bread.  Sprinkle diced ham over cheese.  Pour melted butter over ham, cheese and bread.  Beat together eggs, salt, mustard and milk; pour over bread slices.

Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.  Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for one our or until set.  Serve warm.

***I add a layer of cubed hashbrowns between the ham and butter layers.  Because of this, I add more eggs...normally 8 instead of 4.  I also add more cheese to the top. 

I was afraid that leaving it overnight would make the bread soggy...but it doesn't.  The bread ends up making a nice crust.

I might have to try the bread on the bottom this year. I used to use pillsbury type crescent/biscuit dough, but can't find the simple brand we use for it. And I used to use 10 eggs for ours. I see these only four for a whole pan!? Is it okay to add more. I'll be using sausage and cheese along with the bread and eggs.

Anyone?

This is the only breakfast casserole I really love. The blended eggs baked first make a fluffy crust that gives nice structure to the casserole. I usually either grate the onion or chop it fine for non-onion lovers, I always add more mushrooms, and I use only about half the cheese (omitting Velveeta, yuck). Believe me, it is plenty!

EGGS FANTASTIC CASSEROLE

1 (12 oz.) pkg. regular bulk breakfast sausage

1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced

1 med. onion, chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

6 eggs

3 tbsp. sour cream

1/3 c. salsa

8 oz. sliced Velveeta

8 oz. sliced cheddar

8 oz. sliced Mozzarella

Saute sausage, mushrooms, and onion with salt and pepper. Drain well on pepper towels. Combine eggs and sour cream in blender for 1 minute. Pour egg mixture in a 7 x 11 baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes until set in the middle. Spoon salsa over eggs and add sausage mix. Layer the 3 cheese beginning with Velveeta. If eating right away, just heat under the broiler until cheese is melted.

Casserole may be refrigerated or frozen at this points and baked later. Bake uncovered at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove and let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.

My SIL is allergic to eggs so I found this casserole without eggs for when she visits. I have also used it as a main diner dish.

Sausage Casserole

1 lb sausage cooked and drained

1 lg onion diced

1 green pepper diced

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 1/4 cup minute rice

half bag sharp cheddar cheese (1-2 cups as you like)

Combine all ingredients and place in 9x11 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, uncover the last 10 minutes of baking.

You can bake the night before then reheat in the morning. Yummy