Menu

Questions About Costco

JumpyTheFrog

I am currently a member of another warehouse club that is closer to our house than Costco. Can anybody that goes to Costco tell me if they sell the following? These are things that our club doesn't sell. I am trying to figure out if it would be worth the extra drive.

-Daiya vegan cheese

-plain whole milk yogurt (especially organic)

-organic cheese (any type)

-organic corn or mixed vegetables

-pitted dates

-organic deli meat

Also, does Costco ever have sales on their memberships? I've seen both Sam's Club and BJ's have deals on Groupon.

Our Costco doesn't have any of those. It used to have an organic corn-and-peas mix, but I haven't seen it in awhile. No more organic frozen fruit anymore either. It has a very poor organic/natural selection nowadays, I think, though I still find plenty to buy there. We got a BJ's membership and I find more organic/natural products there than I do at Costco. Is BJ's an option for you? I can give you a rundown of the stuff I buy there if it helps.

I can't find whole milk yogurt anywhere but Whole Foods anymore, and I've never seen Daiya anywhere but WF either. 

My local Costco does sell organic fruit, organic frozen vegetables, organic meat, organic deli meat, and pitted dates.  Merchandise may vary by location so your best bet would be to tour your local Costco to see if it has better offerings than the club you already belong to.

My local Costco does sell organic fruit, organic frozen vegetables, organic meat, organic deli meat, and pitted dates.  Merchandise may vary by location so your best bet would be to tour your local Costco to see if it has better offerings than the club you already belong to.

SJ, can you tell me where you find the deli meat? Is it with the other cheese/meat stuff, or somewhere else? Ours seems to only carry Dietz & Watson, which used to have no preservatives/hidden MSG, but now it does  :glare:

Hoppy, yeah, I think you'll have to visit your local store and see if it has what you need. My store used to have more than it has now, but I guess demand wasn't high enough. The same thing happened when our BJ's opened. They had loads of natural/organic products at first, and slowly they tapered off and the selection got smaller and smaller. I'm grateful for what they do have, at least!

We always buy a big bag of frozen organic mixed veggies at Costco. Every location is different. They tend to cater to the local demographic. I live in Northern Virginia and we get lots of organic stuff at Costco (milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, frozen veggies, produce, etc).

Our Costco sells frozen Organic and non Organic veggies. I'm not sure on the other items. It really depends on your location. They sell different items in different areas depending on demand. For instance ours has some organics but the one an hour away has even more Organic items because there is more demand in that city. I believe you are allowed to go into your local Costco to look around before you join.

SJ, can you tell me where you find the deli meat? Is it with the other cheese/meat stuff, or somewhere else? Ours seems to only carry Dietz & Watson, which used to have no preservatives/hidden MSG, but now it does  :glare:

Hoppy, yeah, I think you'll have to visit your local store and see if it has what you need. My store used to have more than it has now, but I guess demand wasn't high enough. The same thing happened when our BJ's opened. They had loads of natural/organic products at first, and slowly they tapered off and the selection got smaller and smaller. I'm grateful for what they do have, at least!

I've seen organic deli meat in the same section as the regular deli meats and cheeses.  I feel like the company name was maybe written in green, that's all I have for ya :)

We always buy a big bag of frozen organic mixed veggies at Costco. Every location is different. They tend to cater to the local demographic. I live in Northern Virginia and we get lots of organic stuff at Costco (milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, frozen veggies, produce, etc).

Yes this. My local Costco carries a fair variety of organic things, and it's increasing every day.  But  I've been to other Costcos within driving distance and they carry a much wider variety.  I'm pretty sure you can go in and look around before committing to a membership. 

I have Costco near my work (low income sub-city) and another along the freeway (affluent suburb) on my commute . They definitely play to the demographics. The affluent suburb Costco has a HUGE organic section and then more organic choices among the regular items (plus high dollar things like truffle oils and saffron...). The lower income area has more variety of non-organic food items. For example a greater variety of bulk breakfast cereals, processed microwaveable foods, etc. I have noticed that the lower income store has the best selection of more basic clothes though. The other one seems to carry more name brands and stylish clothes that my family just is not interested in.

I am currently a member of another warehouse club that is closer to our house than Costco. Can anybody that goes to Costco tell me if they sell the following? These are things that our club doesn't sell. I am trying to figure out if it would be worth the extra drive.

-Daiya vegan cheese I have never seen it.

-plain whole milk yogurt (especially organic)  Yes

-organic cheese (any type) Yes, Lots

-organic corn or mixed vegetables Yes. Frozen and canned

-pitted dates  Not sure

-organic deli meat Yes

Also, does Costco ever have sales on their memberships? I've seen both Sam's Club and BJ's have deals on Groupon. I have never seen a sale.

I will say that I am about an hour north of San Francisco in Northern California. Our Costco has a large selection of organic produce, meats and many other organic items. I was just in there about an hour ago.

I have a Costco purchased bag of Daiya in the fridge this very minute but they don't sell the same things at all locations. Two white and one yellow in a three pack IIRC off the top of my head.

They have organic milk and yogurt here but not, to my knowledge, organic lunch meats. They usually have have organic frozen fruit and veggies (I think I have seen corn but I know I have seen green beans, broccoli etc) but I have never seen organic fresh veggies besides greens (kale, spinach, sometimes lettuce). I don't recall pitted dates but I've not looked for them either as they aren't something that makes our list often.

Again though, it varies. I have friends who can get a lot more organic there. They are very good at stocking what sells based on location.

I've never seen a membership sale either but my husband is eligible for a discount via his work so check if that is a thing where you work.

I've seen organic deli meat in the same section as the regular deli meats and cheeses.  I feel like the company name was maybe written in green, that's all I have for ya :)

Thanks. I don't go as often since our BJ's opened, but I'll look again the next time I'm there. Maybe they'll surprise me with some new items this time  :tongue_smilie:

-Daiya vegan cheese

-plain whole milk yogurt (especially organic)

-organic cheese (any type)

-organic corn or mixed vegetables

-pitted dates

-organic deli meat

Also, does Costco ever have sales on their memberships? I've seen both Sam's Club and BJ's have deals on Groupon.

I don't think you'll get an accurate answer here. What each costco carries varies greatly by region. Other than the vegan cheese, which I don't know the answer to, everything else would be a yes. However, I live in Northern California and organic food is pretty much a staple here. Even at the food bank our church runs, people will ask if the produce is organic.

My Costco does sell a giant thing of pitted dates, and many varieties of frozen vegetables.

But they just stopped carrying my almond butter!!!!!!! :(

So I drove across the world and bought 3 jars at another location. It'll do, but it annoys me that I have to do that.

We belong to Costco, BJs, and Sam's.  (DH is addicted.)

Costco does carry good frozen organic mixed veggies, organic milk, and some organic fruit. I find quinoa, quinoa pasta, organic sugar, organic/humanely raised (so they say) ground beef, and other stuff that's not coming to mind. (Oh…ground golden flax, coconut oil, etc.)

They have pitted dates, but they're not medjool…and not very good IMHO.  Sam's Club sometimes has pitted medjool dates, but it varies.  Surprisingly, I've found BJ's has the best organic fruits/veggies and more non-mainstream stuff.  They have a deli, but I don't think they have organic deli meat…but they do carry Applewood Farms deli meats, bacon, hot dogs, etc.