Menu

Would you go to the movies alone? Church? Restaurant?

mytwomonkeys

I have done all three alone and lived to tell about it.

What I really want, however, is to be totally alone in my house. If that can't be arranged, could I at least go to the bathroom alone, without interruption from children or pets banging/ scratching on the door? Please? Pretty please?

I've done church and a movie alone. I've eaten inside fast food places alone, but never an actual restaurant. It bothers me.

Same here.  Church yes, movie yet, fast food yes.

But a regular restaurant... I would feel weird.  I mean, I couldn't sit there and read a book while waiting for my food, or while eating.  Well, I COULD, but I think it would feel awkward. 

My personal interpretation:

church -- you interact with the people around you, and you're part of a larger group

movies -- you aren't expected to interact with other moviegoers

fast food -- you aren't expected to interact with other diners

regular restaurant -- the norm is to have at least one dining companion, with appropriate social interaction between the 2+ people at each table

I go places by myself all the time. I've been to church by myself many times, and I actually love going to the movies by myself. (I can choose a movie I want to see, without needing to worry about whatever anyone else will be interested or feeling responsible if the movie turns out to be bad.) I like eating in restaurants by myself, too.

I don't tend to go to a lot of movies or nicer/more expensive restaurants very often these days, because I don't spend money on that stuff. But it wouldn't be the "by myself" part that stops me.

I've been to church alone often (back in my single days), I don't go to the movies, and I have no problem doing fast food alone (I do this is I'm out shopping by myself, once in a blue moon), but I don't like eating in a restaurant alone. I did this when I was in Vegas with DH. He was working a trade show and I was just there hanging out. I walked The Strip and had lunch in one of the restaurants by myself and really hated it. What do you do when you're waiting for your food? I don't have a smart phone so I can't entertain myself electronically. I just eavesdropped on all the people surrounding me. Sharpening my sleuthing skills,

I've never been to a movie, a restaurant, or to church alone.  I'm not adverse to the idea, though.  There are very few movies I want to see -- theaters have the sound set too high and it bugs me.  Restaurants?  I'd go to Panera, with my Kindle.  Church? If I wanted to go, I would, if no one else in the family wanted to go with me.

I like being alone at home.  I go shopping and to the library alone quite a bit, but I prefer not to go places alone.  It's not so bad here because strangers talk to one another.  It's better in Atlanta, because people have longer conversations ... kind of like going places with friends you haven't formally met and will never see again.

My Mom and I are going to Europe next year.  She said that since we are leaving from different airports, I might arrive in London a day ahead of her.  No way.  Just. No. Way.  I am not going to be stuck by myself in a foreign country.  I don't have the guts to do that.

Restaurants, yes.  I used to have to travel for work, and the only other alternative was McD's or cereal bars.  So yeah, I got comfortable with that.

Movies, I dislike in general, so no - it's hard enough to get me to go with someone.

Church - I only go for my kids' sake.  Maybe if I really felt at home there, I'd go alone.  As it is, I hate it when they call the kids up and herd them off to Children's Church, leaving me by my lonesome in the pew.  This is one reason I usually go to the early morning service - they don't have Children's Church during that time.

Been to movies and restaurants alone, but I don't go to church ever so that one doesn't apply. There used to be a bar I'd go to after work to watch the hockey game back in college because I was too poor for cable. I've travelled overseas alone and gone backpacking/camping alone. The best was in a little Scottish town at a pub. There were two pubs in town -- the tourist one and the locals one. I got tired of a group of Aussie men hitting on me at the first pub but wasn't ready to head back to the hostel, so I wandered over to the locals pub. Met some cool people, closed the place down, and was given a tour of the area the next day by an older local couple I met at the pub. It was a small enough town that most of it had been at the pub that night, so it was neat experience being greeted by name by everyone as I explored the area over the next few days. I'm an extrovert and will talk to anybody, though, so I usually end up meeting new people to hang out with by the end of my adventures. DH is a shy and cautious introvert by nature, so he sometimes thinks I'm crazy but he doesn't begrudge me doing things on my own that he's not comfortable joining in on.

AMDG

There was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead eating alone. Now I covet the opportunity. In fact, occassionally I get a no show client and will almost always use that opportunity to go alone to a coffe shop or something.

I don't like to go to movies alone at all. The last time I went to a movie alone there was one my husband and I both wanted to see. My kiddo was a wee babe so we decided to tag-team the movie. He went and I stayed home with my girl. Then I went and he stayed home. Then we met after for ice cream and talk abt the movie. Well, while I was at that movie, a man and his kid walked in. The man looked all around the theatre and then brought his boy over to the seat next to mine and said, "Now sit right next to her and don't move till the movie is over."

I didn't know him from Adam's off ox and he didn't address me with a single word. I felt uncomfortable for the entire movie b/c of that incident and b/c it was not a movie appropriate for a kid in my (admittedly very conservative) estimation.

Been to movies and restaurants alone, but I don't go to church ever so that one doesn't apply. There used to be a bar I'd go to after work to watch the hockey game back in college because I was too poor for cable. I've travelled overseas alone and gone backpacking/camping alone. The best was in a little Scottish town at a pub. There were two pubs in town -- the tourist one and the locals one. I got tired of a group of Aussie men hitting on me at the first pub but wasn't ready to head back to the hostel, so I wandered over to the locals pub. Met some cool people, closed the place down, and was given a tour of the area the next day by an older local couple I met at the pub. It was a small enough town that most of it had been at the pub that night, so it was neat experience being greeted by name by everyone as I explored the area over the next few days. I'm an extrovert and will talk to anybody, though, so I usually end up meeting new people to hang out with by the end of my adventures. DH is a shy and cautious introvert by nature, so he sometimes thinks I'm crazy but he doesn't begrudge me doing things on my own that he's not comfortable joining in on.

how awesome! Now see, that is why I keep some extroverted friends. I'd gladly follow you on an adventure like that, but I am not super outgoing when traveling. 

I've done all those things on my own. I don't really care for the movies, so I'd probably go to a live stage or musical performance on my own.  I also love exploring a city by visiting museums and parks, or just walking around and window shopping. I have no problem doing things on my own as long as it's daytime and in safe areas.

AMDG

There was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead eating alone. Now I covet the opportunity. In fact, occassionally I get a no show client and will almost always use that opportunity to go alone to a coffe shop or something.

I don't like to go to movies alone at all. The last time I went to a movie alone there was one my husband and I both wanted to see. My kiddo was a wee babe so we decided to tag-team the movie. He went and I stayed home with my girl. Then I went and he stayed home. Then we met after for ice cream and talk abt the movie. Well, while I was at that movie, a man and his kid walked in. The man looked all around the theatre and then brought his boy over to the seat next to mine and said, "Now sit right next to her and don't move till the movie is over."

I didn't know him from Adam's off ox and he didn't address me with a single word. I felt uncomfortable for the entire movie b/c of that incident and b/c it was not a movie appropriate for a kid in my (admittedly very conservative) estimation.

That is very bizarre!  How awkward.

I have done all three alone.  If I go to a restaurant alone, I will usually take a book.  I have only been to a movie alone a couple of times, but I don't go to movies often.  To me, it is the most obvious to do alone--I find watching a movie in a theater a fairly solitary experience--even when I am with others.    

When I worked outside of the home, I had to travel a lot. Sometimes I liked the work companions on my trips, sometimes not ;) Rather than waste time away in a hotel room, I got quite in the habit of going places by myself.  It did take some getting used to, though - dining alone, especially.  I always brought a crossword puzzle with me. LOL

So yes, I'm quite in the habit of going places by myself: movies, concerts, church, restaurants, shopping ... these days I even crave it!