Aspasia

SOTW--Do you use book or cd's?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. SOTW--Do you use book or cd's

• Book
    • CD's
    • Mostly book, supplemented by CD's
    • Mostly CD's, supplemented by book

We used the CDs with the coloring pages for the first few books. That was the only part of the workbook that I used. They colored with the Prismacolor pencils and it seemed to keep them engaged with the story. The fourth workbook has notes to take, so we transitioned to that.

Blessings!

I read SOTW then we do a narration and we do mapwork etc. But I keep a CD in the car and we listen to it as we go on errands. I make a point of listening 'behind' to where we are in the book so it is review.

We don't drive enough to make it part of our educational time. I only use a car a couple times a week.

My kids LOVE the audio recordings, and listen to them all the time.  I put the CDs on their iPods, and they can use their iPods in a docking station whenever they are playing in their rooms or the playroom, going to sleep at night, etc.  I put on the first three volumes of SOTW in three huge playlists, so they can listen to whatever they want whenever they want, and they don't have to mess with actual CDs that need to be changed, can get scratched, etc.

DS has listened to all three volumes numerous times.  We have actually only gotten about 2/3 through volume 2 so far together for school, but the fact that he listens on his own so much has done a LOT for both his interest and his retention.  He gets excited when we hit a new chapter he particularly likes, and he throws out little facts he has learned all the time. 

When we read the chapter for school, I always read it aloud to him from the book.  That is more for my benefit than his, because reading it myself helps me remember it better (I can tune out the CD pretty well if I am just listening... fortunately my kids are better listeners than I am!).

Ds7 likes listening to audio but he has almost no retention. So he listens for fun, but not for our official school stuff. For school I think he needs me to read it to him a little slower and with more chances for me to pause and summarize with him.

We don't use SOTW as our full curriculum.  We just listen to the CDs for fun in the car.  But the kids love them and I don't think they even realize that some people might use them for "school" ... they just like the stories!  :)  It's amazing how much they remember later on just from hearing it once.

We don't use SOTW as our main history program, but as a supplement. We have the complete program of all levels, but mainly use the CDs, maps, and coloring pages. The children have the CDs on their MP3 players, so they listen as the desire strikes them, usually as they fall asleep at night.

We only use the books because there are parts that I edit 'on the fly' or whole chapters I skip with the younger kids. We're Catholic & a few of the chapters in books 2 & 3 are twisted in an offensive way from our religion's perspective. I'd have to be there the whole time to forward past those.

Otherwise, I'd be using the CDs in the car as a review, too. My kids like audiobooks. They love SWB's history.

I once borrowed the CDs from my library (we had the book). I didn't care for it. Not that they aren't well done, but I prefer to read it. I don't like being read to. Yes, it's all about me. LOL

I hate being read to, too! Whenever my school teachers read aloud to us, I dazed off. I don't remember a single thing from a single book that a teacher ever read aloud. I retain much, much better reading myself.

BUT my dd is crazy about audio books and her retention with them is so much better than when I'm reading. I think she just associates my voice with "naggy naggy preachy mommy telling me what to do", so she tunes me out, even when I'm reading something fun. When she listens to a story on cd, I can ask her almost any question and she knows the answer. So I'm considering switching to the audio CD's for SOTW. I just think she would gain much more. Plus, I'm not going to read the book aloud to her over and over, whereas, she'll definitely listen to it over and over, so the repetition thing is appealing to me.

I really wanted to use the CD's but I need to do some on the fly editing (primarily implied emphasis on bible stories being true but stories from other cultures being myths and legends). But it's not a waste to have them. DH and I have been listening to them to keep ahead of the kids and familiarize ourselves with world history since neither of us received a decent education in that area as a child. I really appreciate the narrative nature of SOTW.