Menu

what's on the Christmas list for the STEM / tech 10yo kids?

I'm not 100% sure what to put on the list . . . we have Snap Circuits 300 (very popular), basic Legos (but nothing mechanized? - are there intro-level robotic Lego sets?), math puzzle games, K'Nex . . . these are all popular, but I feel like this is the year to take things to the next level.

Ideas / thoughts/ help - very much appreciated!

Have you seem ZomeTool? I first encountered them at a conference for profoundly gifted children, and immediately bought three different sets:)

My hubby's colleagues in the Uni chemistry dept often play with them, ahem, model chemistry concepts. There are sets for anything you can imagine. Even a bubble component:)

There is so much you can do with them, and lots of room to grow.

http://zometool.com/

:lurk5:

Ds10 asked for a little computer add-on that goes with Scratch.  I can't remember what it was called - I'll have to ask him when he gets home.  eta, found it thanks to google saving the search - it's called a picoboard http://www.picocricket.com/picoboard.html .  I have not yet looked into what it is or what it does.

I was also thinking of getting him a Raspberry Pi since he had an intro to Java last summer and might be interested in beginning to learn Python.

Have you seem ZomeTool? I first encountered them at a conference for profoundly gifted children, and immediately bought three different sets:)

My hubby's colleagues in the Uni chemistry dept often play with them, ahem, model chemistry concepts. There are sets for anything you can imagine. Even a bubble component:)

Whoa, we may have to get the Crystallography set if dd's geology interest continues! (I was a structural inorganic chemist before the kids--I would love a set to play with :D)

For science lovers, I'd recommend The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray. It's  a stunning book that anyone might enjoy browsing through.

I've also seen a recent recommendation for Solar System: A Visual Exploration of All the Planets, Moons and Other Heavenly Bodies that Orbit Our Sun by Marcus Chown.

Another idea ~ books by Theoni Pappas or her The Mathematics Calendar 2014.

Regards,

Kareni

For science lovers, I'd recommend The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray. It's  a stunning book that anyone might enjoy browsing through.

I've also seen a recent recommendation for Solar System: A Visual Exploration of All the Planets, Moons and Other Heavenly Bodies that Orbit Our Sun by Marcus Chown.

Another idea ~ books by Theoni Pappas or her The Mathematics Calendar 2014.

Regards,

Kareni

Oh, cool. We have every rec listed in this thread so far except the Solar System book. Ds will love that. He has picked up a strong interest in architecture lately so I'm thinking of going with some Ravensburger 3D puzzles of famous landmarks but I could always use more ideas.

Thanks for this tip. I had never heard of these before. I just bought the creator 3 set for my daughters 13th birthday.

Oh, cool. We have every rec listed in this thread so far except the Solar System book. Ds will love that. He has picked up a strong interest in architecture lately so I'm thinking of going with some Ravensburger 3D puzzles of famous landmarks but I could always use more ideas.

Is he into LOTR? I received a gift magazine in the post from the Cricket magazine folks today and found 3D LOTR puzzles. Each of my nephews is getting a different one:)

http://www.cricketmag.com/CUS96246-3-D-Jigsaw-Puzzle---Hobbiton

http://www.cricketmag.com/CUS96247-3-D-Jigsaw-Puzzle---Minas-Tirith

The problem we have had with Make magazine is that it does seem to require dh to help at this point. Ds finds wonderful projects he wants to do and dh (who is not at all the maker type and works insane hours) just doesn't have the time to help him and ds ends up disappointed. I wish Make would put out more volumes with projects that kids can do on their own. Admittedly, this is a problem that ds will outgrow as he gets older and more capable but it is frustrating for right now.

The problem we have had with Make magazine is that it does seem to require dh to help at this point. Ds finds wonderful projects he wants to do and dh (who is not at all the maker type and works insane hours) just doesn't have the time to help him and ds ends up disappointed. I wish Make would put out more volumes with projects that kids can do on their own. Admittedly, this is a problem that ds will outgrow as he gets older and more capable but it is frustrating for right now.

That's our issue as well. We have the EV3 now and ds really needs dh's input to really do more w/ it but he just hasn't had time. Dh does love these kind of things but the time is just not there.

• 3 weeks later...

My son got a MacBook Pro. We gave it to him early for Christmas.

I think he's getting nothing for  next 5 years.  LOL

ALso, we plan to renew his MUSE magazine subscription.  We are extremely happy with the Science and thinking that Muse offers!

You didn't give us an age for your son. but Timberdoodle has some cool STEM type project things, up to about 7th grade.  After that their suggestions just seem to plateau.  

We are getting the Raspberry Pi model B, and I am eyeing BrickPi which makes integrating with the Lego Mindstorms sensors easy.  We bought the ZomeTool Creator 1 set and my kids had use that set for playing bubbles in the bathtub.  They are asking for more ZomeTool struts and balls.

My kids are also eyeing the ROV in a bag kit and since no one swims in my condo pool during winter months, I'm tempted to get it.