Menu

Home-made Halloween Costumes?

Mandylubug

I think I have figured out our cheap, homemade costumes. We let our kids participate and we are Christian :p not open for a debate!

Here is our tentative list:

Alien (reusing a robe-like costume from last year) and just buying green face paint

Peeta from Hunger Games (Using black tshirt, ripped jeans, painting arm to look like a tree and faking an injured leg)

A Zoo Keeper (white polo shirt, stuffed animals, safari hat and khaki pants)

A "Tuxedo Cat" (All black clothes with white felt Tuxedo front, Homemade ears and tail)

I'm hoping we can pull it off as well as I think we can.

Any one else making costumes this year?

DD10 decided what she wanted to be months ago, and it's definitely homemade.

She put a hot pink body pillow case over her head, cut holes for eyes and arms, and then wore a Batman mask.  She's calling herself BatGum.  

She's an odd little bird.  I adore her.   :D 

that is hilarious. I love it!

Dh is making our ds a Minion costume.  I'm making dd a cupcake costume. 

I think homemade Minions is "the" costume of the year. I've seen multiple photos on fb already! I tried to get all four of mine to go as minions, too. My suggestions weren't received well by all, ha ha.

I pulled together a Link costume from Legends of Zelda for my little boy. I found of all things a green dress at the thrift store. With some cutting, it became the perfect elvish tunic. I got two belts to make his sword holder thingy and found boots... All at the thrift store. My dd learned how to make elf ears in YouTube. Everyone pretty much thinks he is Peter Pan, but any Zelda fan realizes he is link. He is THRILLED with his costume.

DD is a Uraeus (winged cobra in Egyptian mythology, also the cobra on te Pharoah headdress)-foamboard/duct tape hood, khaki pants/shirt with fabric wings safety pinned to the shirt, face paint to hopefully make it obvious she's supposed to be a snake.

I'm supposed to be Heket (frog goddess in Egyptian mythology)- DD's frog winter hat, sheet toga.

I make way to many costumes. I sell them on etsy and to people in my area. I also make them for my kids, who dress up as different things for different events, because most of the same people go to the same events and want to be something different..

Here are the costumes for my kids this year..

ds10 - Wind, Lego Person, Mario

dd8 - Rainbow, Matching Fairy Costumes with American Girl Doll, Paper Doll

ds7 - Thunderbolt/Lightening, Army Guy, Luigi

dd5 - Snow, Bubble Bath, Monster

dd3 - Raining Cats & Dogs, Dr. Mcstuffins, Skeleton

dd1 twins - Cloud & the Sun, Lovebug & Dragonfly, Thing 1 & Thing 2

I'm crazy for doing it. I know. My kids play dress up with the costumes afterwards and I have fun making them. I donate the costumes that are still usable the next Halloween.  :001_smile:

Dd went as Medusa 2 years ago (no pole, tho...)--sheet toga, gold belt, hair up with plastic snakes in it and a snake in face paint on her cheek, and tacky gold Roman sandals we found for 5 bucks at Payless Clearance.

She's also gone as Peter Pan--found a dark green men's T, cut the neck out, cut the sleeves (short sleeves) into leafy ovals and the bottom that way, too. Green tights, a hat from felt (found a non-sew pattern online) and moccasins, leather belt and a homemade foil daggar...Tinkerbell on her shoulder (glitter with a silver butterfly hair barrett we just pinned on. 

This year, it's Katniss--hair in a Katniss braid, similar clothing (see pics online) and her bow (crossbow--not sure if that's the same, but it'll do). She wanted to do Red Riding Hood, but we gave away her red hooded Magic Cabin dress- up cloak long ago. 

I helped DD8 make her costume -- the dish that ran away with the spoon. We used round cake boards for the plate. My mom has one of those fork-and-spoon wall decorations (which she hates and has never put up), so she's borrowing the spoon. She wanted to be a whole place setting but we decided it would be too hard to carry the fork, spoon AND her candy bucket.

I made DS3 a kissing booth costume out of a box, a couple pieces of dollar-store foam core, and some ancient bias tape I found at an estate sale. He doesn't really have an opinion about what he wears yet, so I figured I'd better take advantage of that -- might be my last year to make him cute!

My ds did a lumberjack/brawny man one year.   Very easy, jeans, flannel shirt, knit hat, maybe some make up for a "beard".    DD is putting together her version of a Masquerade ball costume.  I found masquerade mask at Target, she is wearing her prettiest dress, white gloves and her boots.   

We have done  bob the builder with overalls and hard hat.

DD the Elder and DH made her a person-riding-a-Segway costume she found on the Instructables. It looks great, and she garnered a *lot* of attention at the zoo yesterday; someone even thought she was an employee and kept asking her questions, until they looked at her face. :D

DD the Younger and I made her costume. She is "riding" on someone's shoulders. "They" look like two tiny people.

AMDG

My kiddo had decided not to dress up but, since we're going to a WWII themed dance the following wk, this is what she'll be doing:

She will dress in her 1940s fress and (try to) fix her hair accordingly.

She'll carry a basket with WWII themed things and will hand out a little flyer. It is a pic of a common poster of the time about "they gave, could you?" On the back it will explain the the candy she will collect will be donated to the Blue Star moms group to send to the troops.

She usually dresses for All Saints but feels too old. Since she has the dress, though, and can do something good, she wont feel silly.

We saw a ton of Minions when we went to Trunk or Treat Friday night.  It's definitely a popular choice this year.

My son has a habit of picking costumes that either aren't commercially available or are extremely expensive, so I make a lot.  I'm not much of a seamstress so it's good the kids aren't overly picky.

This year he's a Purrloin - a purple cat-looking Pokemon.  Dd is a unicorn.  Both started with sweats and then embellished.  Sweats are good because it is COLD here.

Last year ds was a Minecraft Creeper, which I made.  They seem easier to find this year.  Dd was Strawberry Shortcake, which I also made.

8a76c78a-187e-4300-aba2-47a5f663339c.jpg

IMG_13502.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

purrloin.jpg

Ds is taking his little brother, but at 15 he is a bit old to dress up. However, he saw a costume so where on the Internet and asked me to take him to Lowes for supplies for it- gray paint samples. He is going to staple them to an old t shirt and go as "50 shades of Gray"!

I am working on two my little pony costumes: Princess Celestia and Fluttershy.

We will be t&t'ing with a friend dressed as Rainbow dash but her mom-made costume is way awesome and more involved than what i am going for -- had to make sure the girls knew their costume was going to be simpler when they saw a photo of the other one.

Guest inoubliable

I made DS6 a spider costume. He's wearing a longsleeve black tshirt with black tights. And I took two other pairs of tights and stuffed them with those airpacks that Amazon loves to shove into their packaging. Sewed them up and pinned them to his back. 

DS8 is going as an Ent. (? Something from LoTR?) A lovely lady here on WTM made his treebeard mask and I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some fake branches with gnarled ends and some with leaves. We'll finish fashioning his branches tomorrow. 

DS13 was my easiest yet. Jedi. He already had the light saber. Michael's had their stuff 50% off this weekend so I scored an adult sized cape with hood for less than $7. Done.

We're going a little more into Halloween this year. DS5 will be six the day after and wants a joint Halloween/bday party on Thursday night. So I'll be making candy corn themed decorations and deserts this week in preparation. It was fun doing costumes this year!