Menu

update

Joanne

Oh gosh!  I just saw this...I am so sorry Joanne!  I hate that this has happened to you.  I mean, after everything you've been through in the years since I've been on the forum....why you!  Praying for support, love, strength, and an amazingly speedy recovery for you.  :grouphug:

Thank you so much for the update! Like the others, I'm really glad to hear the guy has insurance. I'd vote with getting a lawyer, letting them deal with the finances, and only worrying yourself about healing + enjoying what time you can with your kids.

You should qualify for top medical care since he's insured and there's no issue with bills getting paid. Your lost income should also be coming to you. Then there should be extra for all the pain and suffering you're enduring (money doesn't "fix" this, but it can help in a way).

In the meantime, you've got all of us on the Hive to be both your venting system and cheerleading section. Feel free to use either part as needed!  :)  :grouphug:

Thank you for the update!  I wish you weren't going through this.  But since you are, concentrate on healing and try not to worry.  You aren't in a position to do anything about all of the associated problems.  Things will work themselves out ... and hopefully this time around you won't have to put Herculean effort into that happening. 

One thing.  If the insurance company sends someone to your hospital room (or when you get out), do not agree to or sign anything.  They are there to lowball you and they are not your friend.

I hope you are on some really good  pain meds! I'm glad your son is with you.

Glad they found the guy and I hope he has good insurance and not the crappiest, bare bones $25k policy (which should not be allowed IMO) and/or you have good UM/UIM coverage. What a pain to navigate all of that on top of feeling miserable. I agree with getting a (good) lawyer. They can negotiate hospital bills too if the insurance doesn't cover everything, and do as much as possible to limit your exposure to debt from this. Hoping for speedy healing and a minimum of hassle.

Glad they found the guy and I hope he has good insurance and not the crappiest, bare bones $25k policy (which should not be allowed IMO) and/or you have good UM/UIM coverage. What a pain to navigate all of that on top of feeling miserable. I agree with getting a (good) lawyer. They can negotiate hospital bills too if the insurance doesn't cover everything, and do as much as possible to limit your exposure to debt from this. Hoping for speedy healing and a minimum of hassle.

Yes, very very good point. I'd forgotten about that. Not only did the lawyer get more money for us from the insurance company, but he negotiated the fees from the rehab place, so the money went farther. 

I agree with being VERY careful about what you say to ANY insurance or other official person. Or any person whatsoever.

Many states are "comparative negligence" (or something like that).

When we lived in GA, dh was slowly cruising a parking lot looking for a spot (at school). Another driver reversed out of a space and crashed into dh. The other driver immediately admitted fault (no duh). There was no injury, but about $1500 in body damage to dh's car.

When he was "telling the story" to our own reputable, longterm, national insurance company . . . he included the fact that he "slammed on his brakes" when he saw this driver accelerating rapidly out of his space. (This presumably helped minimize the damage and avoid injury since only the front light/corner of dh's car was damaged instead of his driver side door.

Well, when the claim was processed, dh was assessed 25% of the fault (and thus 25% of the costs of his damages, which just HAPPENED to equal our deductible!) since he was "obviously driving too fast since you slammed on your brakes"

Now, any reasonable person knows that even if you are rolling at 1 mph or even stopped, your instinct will be rightly to slam your foot on your brake if you see an accident about to happen! But, the insurance companies have a big scam IMHO to avoid them paying out any more than needed. Since they attributed some of the fault to dh, we had to pay our deductible. No fair!!

Since then, I am VERY careful when "telling my story" for ANY accident, no matter how obvious it is that it is the other driver's complete fault. They WILL twist your words!

So, I say things like, "I was driving south on I-95 at 9 PM. I was hit by the other car in the front right panel of my car. I called 911." Totally factual unarguable statements, with NO adjectives or anything that might in any way be construed to indicate anything other than obvious clear physical evidence supported facts.

Do not say anything about what you were doing, where you were going, if you were tired, etc. Just say as little as possible. You are obviously entitled to substantial compensation for your injuries, lost wages, etc, etc. Be careful!

If you don't want to answer questions at any time, just say that you are tired and/or in pain, and you will have to have the conversation at another time. Say good bye, thank you, and HANG UP. Repeat as often as needed. You will obviously have a good excuse not to talk for many weeks!

((((hugs))))

I hope for rapid healing!