Menu

8FilltheHeart (and anyone else!) - Non-academic "preschool"

After spending the summer watching my 3 year old cousin (and lots of times at parks, etc.), I'm finding myself more and more drawn to a non-academic environment for my own tiny tots.  

And, of course, that leads to questions!  

What toys or supplies do you find yourself keeping on hand to encourage creative (independent!) play for your littles?  How do you encourage them to extend that play, if it isn't something that comes naturally?  How involved with play were/are you as a parent, esp if you have an only or a tot with much older siblings?

What about art/messy projects? Do you encourage them? Keep supplies available for play if asked? Set up opportunities (the word "invitations" makes me cringe a little) to explore various materials with no specific end goal? Have a crafting day once a whenever you have energy and create fabulous masterpieces for walls and grandparents? Never use them because the idea of paint in your house makes you a little queasy?

How involved are your littles in your chores/household routines? I'm assuming lots of "life learning" is happening here, even though helping toddlers are, well, not so helpful.

What skills do you expect your littles to have mastered before heading into formal academics?  I'm thinking about life skills, independent problem solving, etc. as well as ABC/123 type information.  

Any favorite mom-books for both encouragement in play-based toddler/preschool years and practical ideas?

I no longer have littles, but if I may, I will answer what we did when mine were small. Because I worked, they attended a daycare for half days (until after-lunch nap); the daycare focused on free play, outdoor play, and did not include any academics.

What toys or supplies do you find yourself keeping on hand to encourage creative (independent!) play for your littles?  How do you encourage them to extend that play, if it isn't something that comes naturally?  How involved with play were/are you as a parent, esp if you have an only or a tot with much older siblings?

My kids had the best playtime outside at the park. At age 1.5 through 4, I was aiming for 2-3 hours of afternoon outside play whenever weather permitted. Sandbox, slide, swing, climbing, balls, tricycle, sidewalk chalk, rump rope, toy stroller to have something to push....

In home toy favorites were blocks, dress-up box, stuffed animals, wooden train track, marble track.

After they got their first Playmobil when they were 4 and 6, that was the only thing they played with for the next 6 years.

We also took them with us when we went rock climbing on the weekends, and we took a very limited assortment of toys: maybe a stuffed animal and a toy car. We emphasized finding nature things to play with, and our kids learned to amuse themselves for hours with sand, rocks, pine cones and sticks.

As parents, we were little involved in direct play; our role was more supervising, providing materials, playing along when the children chose to involve us.

What about art/messy projects? Do you encourage them? Keep supplies available for play if asked? Set up opportunities (the word "invitations" makes me cringe a little) to explore various materials with no specific end goal? Have a crafting day once a whenever you have energy and create fabulous masterpieces for walls and grandparents? Never use them because the idea of paint in your house makes you a little queasy?

We always had supplies on hand: finger paints, paint and paint brushes, crayons, glue, construction paper, scissors, play dough. I offered, but never pushed a project or had a "goal" - they could do whatever they wanted. OK, we colored Easter eggs, or made paper stars at Christmas, but basically they messed around freely. I did not mind the mess. My kids went through phases where they did more, and phases when they did less crafty stuff.

How involved are your littles in your chores/household routines? I'm assuming lots of "life learning" is happening here, even though helping toddlers are, well, not so helpful.

At that age, they still liked to help, LOL. They were proud when they could be involved. We did not have regular chores, but let them help on an as-needed basis. Both my kids liked to help bake and cook.

What skills do you expect your littles to have mastered before heading into formal academics?  I'm thinking about life skills, independent problem solving, etc. as well as ABC/123 type information.  

By the time my children started school (I did not homeschool then, but they attended a public K-4), they could:

Life skills: eat, make a sandwich, fix a bowl of cereal, cut meat with a knife, eat with knife and fork, wash, brush teeth, select clothes and dress independently, cross a street, ride a bike

Academics: DD did not know her ABCs; we had just moved to the US before DD started K. Skills *I* find important before starting formal academics:

speaking in coherent sentences, with correct grammar, complex sentence structure and a varied vocabulary

have the attention span to listen to a longer story being read/audiobook and can sit through a live performance meant for kids (i.e. not a 5 hour Wagner opera, but a 1 hour play or concert)

have the physical stamina to walk a few miles

have the fine motor skills to draw and write, so that the writing instruction is not hampered by a lack of coordination

I am sure I am forgetting things as this has been many years ago.

There is a great book about play called(I think) Piggyback Rides and Slippery Slides. Typing on my phone so it isn't easy to look it up and post a link, if nothing comes up under that name let me know and I'll go dig out my book. If there is not a convenient friend or sibling for a child to play with, a parent will do just fine, the recommendation I have seen is to generally follow the child's lead rather than trying to control the game.

As for toys and materials, anything open ended will serve. Sand, gravel, sticks, blocks, paper, crayons, tape, scissors, small cars, animals, and figurines, legos...what you want to steer away from is anything electronic and toys that are just designed to mimic cartoon or movie characters and scenarios. You want to leave the realm of imagination wide open.

Mine are 5,3, and 1, so take this for what it is worth.

We have not done focused academic work prior to kindergarten.  They get lots of free play with mostly non-battery operated toys (I don't put batteries in the ones that require it, but my 5 year old has figured out how to put them in now  :laugh: )  They play a lot with legos, cars, dolls, and kitchen stuff.  They play outside at least 15 minutes every day (well except in extreme weather) but on nicer days it's usually a hour in the morning and at least an hour in the afternoon.  They have a playground, but also dig in the dirt, ride bikes, draw with sidewalk chalk, run through the sprinkler, blow bubbles, play with balls.  They have access to everything but the sprinkler.

As far as art, they have access to things that aren't too messy: paper, scissors, glue sticks, tape, crayons, markers, boxes.  The messier stuff like paint & playdough they have to ask for.  We do craft projects in spurts, sometimes we will do one every day for a few days, other times we don't do any for a few weeks.

We read throughout the day, at a minimum 30 minutes after lunch and 45 minutes before bed, but it's actually more often than that especially now that my oldest is reading.  We also listen to audio books in the car, not every time we go somewhere, just here and there.  In the last year I have gone through 20ish read alouds with the older two. 

We go for walks a few times a week, to the library weekly, hiking a couple times a month, to the zoo a few times a year.

As far as academic goals, I didn't have any before we started kindergarten this year.  I had planned to focus on learning to read during my son's kindergarten year, but he learned well before hand.  It wasn't anything I did, language is just his thing and he picked it up really easily.

My husband and I do however point things out, colors, shapes, why something is the way it is, etc.  It isn't something we were really conscious of at first, it just sort of happened naturally as I assume it does with a lot of parents.  My 5 year old has a knack for language and easily picked up letter sounds without formal instruction.  My 3 year old is more number minded and has repeatedly shocked us by telling us the time, or recognizing a number on a sign, she also knows left & right.

I feel like my kids are pretty creative, I have no idea how creative compared to other kids though.  I know my son is reading well above grade level, but I think he is average to slightly above average in other academic areas as compared to other kindergartners.  It's hard to say for sure though, he is older than most of the other kindergartners in his class at church.

I hope this helps!

I have a three year old now who is an only. We do academics only as she requests/initiates. She is an academically-minded little girl, though, so that is a notable part of our day.

For non-academic stuff, she has a sandbox and a water table outside. She has a trike, scooter, and balance bike. She also loves water play in the bathtub and will spend ridiculous amounts of time in there. She has a dollhouse, a variety of building toys, a dress-up bin, balls, a bin of fabric scraps for whatever pretend play she wants them for, and an art table. And other odds and ends - a magnifying glass, doctor kit, and such.

All the art supplies are kept in ready reach except the ink pads for stamps, paints, charcoals, and white glue. Those will eventually transition into her reach, but I like the heads up that she is using them now so I can remind her to clean herself up before tracking the aftermath through the house. They are available to her whenever she requests them and I usually make a point of getting something of those things out 1-2 times per week.

I will admit, even though I love to watch her play pretend, I have zero desire to be part of her pretend games. I work hard at encouraging her to involve her dolls, stuffed animals, etc, instead of including me. I know which things hold her attention and will direct her towards those. I keep a mental inventory of what hasn't been played with in a while and pull those out and place them somewhere conspicuous.

She loves to help with any baking, so we plan a baking project weekly. Some chores I do while she is in the bath, others she is included in. Which are which depends on my patience level and how many things we need to get done in any given day.

I will admit, even though I love to watch her play pretend, I have zero desire to be part of her pretend games. I work hard at encouraging her to involve her dolls, stuffed animals, etc, instead of including me. I know which things hold her attention and will direct her towards those. I keep a mental inventory of what hasn't been played with in a while and pull those out and place them somewhere conspicuous.

Same here. I don't play with children. Read books to them, yes; play with them, no.

Same here. I don't play with children. Read books to them, yes; play with them, no.

Now I'll admit it. I hate to play. Fortunately, dh and dg like to play. Granny is tiny and can fit into princess dresses and old Halloween costumes of bunnies and kangaroos. :)

I think my older kids would have been better off with more play (without my participation) than any of the academics. 

I do occasionally, but not often.  That's why I took my kids to see other kids.  And why I feel very blessed that I had twins. ;)

I mostly set things up so they could play - rotated the toys, took them to rich landscapes, put out new materials, brought out costumes and puppets, etc.  And, of course, read books, and books encourage pretend play.  In general, I saw my roll when the kids were preschool age as facilitator to their play.  And I felt like if I had enough rich materials and experiences ready for them, that we didn't need to do any "academics" unless you consider reading aloud academics.

I had hoped you would respond, Regentrude, so I'm thrilled to read this.  The reminder to include lots of outdoor play (both for encouraging creativity and exhausting energy!) is particularly timely, since we live within walking distance of a lovely park.  I should definitely take advantage more often!

By the time my children started school (I did not homeschool then, but they attended a public K-4), they could:

Life skills: eat, make a sandwich, fix a bowl of cereal, cut meat with a knife, eat with knife and fork, wash, brush teeth, select clothes and dress independently, cross a street, ride a bike

Academics: DD did not know her ABCs; we had just moved to the US before DD started K. Skills *I* find important before starting formal academics:

speaking in coherent sentences, with correct grammar, complex sentence structure and a varied vocabulary

have the attention span to listen to a longer story being read/audiobook and can sit through a live performance meant for kids (i.e. not a 5 hour Wagner opera, but a 1 hour play or concert)

have the fine motor skills to draw and write, so that the writing instruction is not hampered by a lack of coordination

I am sure I am forgetting things as this has been many years ago.

This list is particularly helpful.  In particular, the focus on attention span (not aided by technology!), which is something I found lacking in many young people while teaching.  For some reason I have never thought about actively encouraging/teaching focus and attention span; now I'm going to be watching for age-appropriate ways to work this into our days.

Again, thank you for your reply.  Very helpful!

Now I'll admit it. I hate to play. Fortunately, dh and dg like to play. Granny is tiny and can fit into princess dresses and old Halloween costumes of bunnies and kangaroos. :)

I think my older kids would have been better off with more play (without my participation) than any of the academics. 

I do occasionally, but not often.  That's why I took my kids to see other kids.  And why I feel very blessed that I had twins. ;)

I mostly set things up so they could play - rotated the toys, took them to rich landscapes, put out new materials, brought out costumes and puppets, etc.  And, of course, read books, and books encourage pretend play.  In general, I saw my roll when the kids were preschool age as facilitator to their play.  And I felt like if I had enough rich materials and experiences ready for them, that we didn't need to do any "academics" unless you consider reading aloud academics.

Glad to hear this  :001_smile:  I don't mind being invited into the occasional game or scenario, but I do reach an end of patience with pretend trains or dolls or build the blocks and knock them down.  I will make a much better facilitator than playmate, I think.  :cool:

I don't cook with children, either. Not so good at playing board games when they're older. Fortunately, Mr. Ellie likes to do both. :D

I remember my mom putting on a big pair of sunglasses and telling me she was going to be a movie star when she grew up. I guess I didn't get the pretending or playing gene, but I do sing and dance...until my kids tell me to stop. I can also be goofy but I don't take time out for it; I just incorporate it into my life.

I don't cook with children, either. Not so good at playing board games when they're older. Fortunately, Mr. Ellie likes to do both. :D

Oooh, cooking is something I like to do with littles.  Mr. 3 year old and I had a lot of fun cooking together, once he realized he was allowed to help in my kitchen.  Exhausting fun at times, yes, but fun!

Glad to hear this  :001_smile:  I don't mind being invited into the occasional game or scenario, but I do reach an end of patience with pretend trains or dolls or build the blocks and knock them down.  I will make a much better facilitator than playmate, I think.  :cool:

Add me to the non-players.

I loved reading to my children, sitting for hours with them at the park, hiking with them, taking them rock climbing, singing with them, traveling with them, talking with them... but setting up the trainset, playing with blocks, etc? No, not my thing.

Without an academic pre-k experience ON SOME LEVEL, I'm not sure you could expect or assume mastery of anything academic ABC/123 related before formal work needs to begin - you're assuming that all children will learn these naturally through play, and I know many children who haven't/didn't. I think it's fine to not do academics at that age, but I wouldn't expect mastery of anything academic related before moving on eventually either.

We do academic pre-k, but I'll tell you what I have around the house that is more "free play/explore/interest led":

finger paints

crayons

white board and plenty of markers (kids love white boards, lol!)

construction paper

lots of quality blocks, of different sizes (Jenga pieces, regular wooden alphabet blocks, archiquest blocks, etc)

other building supplies - angry bird sets are a hit here

c-rods and flats (just ordered them and they are a HIT)

Without an academic pre-k experience ON SOME LEVEL, I'm not sure you could expect or assume mastery of anything academic ABC/123 related before formal work needs to begin - you're assuming that all children will learn these naturally through play, and I know many children who haven't/didn't. I think it's fine to not do academics at that age, but I wouldn't expect mastery of anything academic related before moving on eventually either.

I don't understand this comment. I do not expect my kids to master any formal academics before I deem them ready to teach them formal academics. Why should they know the ABC before I begin to teach them?  (And when I begin to teach them, that's when formal schooling begins.)

In my home country, kids start school at age 6 or 7 and learn their ABCs there and then. Entirely sufficient.

And yes, there will be kids who can read before they enter school, because they have taught themselves. I did.

But I would not assume any academic mastery before beginning instruction - just as I would not expect a kid to be able to swim or play the violin "on some level" before I sign him up for swimming or violin lessons, since the point of instruction is to be taught.

:iagree:

I'd add that I expect my 5 year old to make his bed neatly.  

I also taught them mine and my husband's full names, phone numbers, and what to do in case of fire.  I'm not sure if that is a skill needed prior to teaching formal academics, but we do work on it just in case they need it.

I forgot to add earlier that we have several puzzles and have just started playing Memory.  I expected it is be too hard for my 3 year old, but she actually beat me last time we played and I was trying.

I usually have one helper in the kitchen too, it's a slow messy way to cook though.

We do academic pre-k, but I'll tell you what I have around the house that is more "free play/explore/interest led":

finger paints

crayons

white board and plenty of markers (kids love white boards, lol!)

construction paper

lots of quality blocks, of different sizes (Jenga pieces, regular wooden alphabet blocks, archiquest blocks, etc)

other building supplies - angry bird sets are a hit here

c-rods and flats (just ordered them and they are a HIT)

It's been a long time since I read this, and I'm honestly not sure of its accuracy. But in the introduction to the Read Aloud Handbook, the authors describes how in Finland, it is illegal to teach children to read before age 7, but states they have the highest reading levels in the world. If this is true, it means they are able to master the foundational skills they need and move on without it delaying them in the long run.

I don't understand this comment. I do not expect my kids to master any formal academics before I deem them ready to teach them formal academics. Why should they know the ABC before I begin to teach them?  (And when I begin to teach them, that's when formal schooling begins.)

In my home country, kids start school at age 6 or 7 and learn their ABCs there and then. Entirely sufficient.

And yes, there will be kids who can read before they enter school, because they have taught themselves. I did.

But I would not assume any academic mastery before beginning instruction - just as I would not expect a kid to be able to swim or play the violin "on some level" before I sign him up for swimming or violin lessons, since the point of instruction is to be taught.

I was referencing the comment the OP made about what skills (including academic) you should expect a child to master before moving into formal work later - I was stating that I wouldn't expect mastery of anything unless explicitly taught.

It's been a long time since I read this, and I'm honestly not sure of its accuracy. But in the introduction to the Read Aloud Handbook, the authors describes how in Finland, it is illegal to teach children to read before age 7, but states they have the highest reading levels in the world. If this is true, it means they are able to master the foundational skills they need and move on without it delaying them in the long run.

I didn't say it would hinder them. At all. I was referencing the part of the OP's post where she asked what skills (including academic 123/ABC skills) a child should have mastered before one would consider moving into more formal work - my point is that I wouldn't EXPECT or REQUIRE that any formal academic skills be mastered, had I not explicitly taught them.

I didn't say it would hinder them. At all. I was referencing the part of the OP's post where she asked what skills (including academic 123/ABC skills) a child should have mastered before one would consider moving into more formal work - my point is that I wouldn't EXPECT or REQUIRE that any formal academic skills be mastered, had I not explicitly taught them.

Aimee, Your post only reminded me of what I had read. I was drawing on what you said, not contradicting it.  :grouphug:

I was referencing the comment the OP made about what skills (including academic) you should expect a child to master before moving into formal work later - I was stating that I wouldn't expect mastery of anything unless explicitly taught.

OK thanks. I am sorry for misunderstanding. Seems we are saying the same thing ;-)

You have gotten a lot of great ideas.  My list and approach is very similar to Regentrude's.   Training them to play independently is actually a goal.   I expect them to be able to self-entertain for longer and longer periods of time as they get older.   I start when they are babies by using a playpen or sitting on the floor at our feet with their toys and expecting them to be able to play on their own for short periods of time and eventually work toward longer periods.

I don't expect them to master any academic skills w/o teaching them.   Some things they know just from life.   Counting is normal.   They know how to count, etc but they dont necessarily know that the number is associated with a specific print symbol.   I don't teach them to write, but I do show them how to hold their pencil, crayon, etc correctly when they are coloring or "writing"  (as in swirls, circles, scribbles) when they are old enough to use the correct grip.

We do things to stimulate their imagination.   For example, last night was gorgeous.   We drove down to the beach and went for a walk on the beach in the moonlight.   We talked about all the animals in the water, the moon controlling the waves, mermaids ;), etc.   

Being outside is huge.   My kids haven't been able to be out in our yard much this summer and it has been hard.   We have had so much rain that it hadn't been possible and then we had a huge inundation of fleas and mosquitoes.   It was awful.   It looks like we finally might have it under control, so they hopefully they will be able to start going back outside.   And thankfully, we haven't had constant rain for slightly over a week!   There is something about being outside that really nurtures the imagination and sets them free! 

As far as life skills, I expect them to help clean up their toys even as toddlers.   Obviously at that pt it is mostly imitation, but they learn to understand that they just can't leave things out every where.  They "help" fold dishclothes and small hand towels.  They can carry small stacks of laundry to their room, etc. 

A major life skill I am working with my 3 yod is that she needs to keep clothes on!!!  She likes to take off what she is wearing and put on dress-ups, but half the time she will then take those off and run around in her underwear and does not want to put her clothes back on.  ;)

Really, the other posts are pretty much the same as mine.   I replied on the other thread about "not playing with your kids."  Oh, one idea that I didn't see mentioned as far as encouraging them to play imaginatively is building forts.   Hours of entertainment are to be had by my kids by blankets covering  tables, chairs, and cushions.   My toddlers/3 yo love this!

One thing I didn't see anyone mention, though I'm sure many would agree it's important, is music in the home. All types, all sorts of instruments, different rhythms, and exposure to live music. Availability of rhythm instruments that are accessible to young children is nice, too. Also a lot of singing.

Music can stimulate language and imagination and supports future academics in other important ways. Singing lines that rhyme, along with reciting nursery rhymes and reading poetry, helps develop pre-readings skills. Not to mention that a music-rich environment can't hurt if lessons are in their future.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention, though I'm sure many would agree it's important, is music in the home. All types, all sorts of instruments, different rhythms, and exposure to live music. Availability of rhythm instruments that are accessible to young children is nice, too. Also a lot of singing.

Absolutely! I completely forgot. I sang a lot with my kids! We also had CDs with children's songs and all kinds of music, and when we moved to the US we then also had a piano. Plus tambourine and other gentle percussion stuff.

I haven't read through all the posts, but we do a "Waldorfy" style preschool here. I use Oak Meadow's preschool package, along with Wynstone's Kindergarten Series and A Child's Seasonal Treasury. I hope to add in Waldorf Essentials A Journey Through Waldorf Homeschooling Kindergarten next year with my special needs 5yo daughter. I have read and continuously refer to the books Seven Times the Sun, Natural Childhood, and Beyond the Rainbow Bridge. With my little one, we have a daily circle time, a time for writing practice on her dry erase board, some fine motor skills activities, and lots of music and singing. We also have lots of outside time. Sometimes I'll read a short book to her as well. It's all very relaxed. It works well for us.

Music can stimulate language and imagination and supports future academics in other important ways. Singing lines that rhyme, along with reciting nursery rhymes and reading poetry, helps develop pre-readings skills. Not to mention that a music-rich environment can't hurt if lessons are in their future.

Absolutely!! My kids all love music and love playing instruments. One thing we have found is that it is worth the money to buy higher quality instruments and cheaper in the long run bc they are mor durable. This link has a list of where you can buy different quality items.

http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/families/equipment-guide

This is the best Tom-Tom we have ever had and it still looks and sounds like brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Remo-Percussion-Diameter-Mallet-Forest/dp/B0002F7KUG/ref=sr_1_1/179-2618832-9430664?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1379241711&sr=1-1&keywords=Tom-Tom

You have gotten a lot of great ideas. My list and approach is very similar to Regentrude's. Training them to play independently is actually a goal. I expect them to be able to self-entertain for longer and longer periods of time as they get older. I start when they are babies by using a playpen or sitting on the floor at our feet with their toys and expecting them to be able to play on their own for short periods of time and eventually work toward longer periods.

I don't expect them to master any academic skills w/o teaching them. Some things they know just from life. Counting is normal. They know how to count, etc but they dont necessarily know that the number is associated with a specific print symbol. I don't teach them to write, but I do show them how to hold their pencil, crayon, etc correctly when they are coloring or "writing" (as in swirls, circles, scribbles) when they are old enough to use the correct grip.

We do things to stimulate their imagination. For example, last night was gorgeous. We drove down to the beach and went for a walk on the beach in the moonlight. We talked about all the animals in the water, the moon controlling the waves, mermaids ;), etc.

Being outside is huge. My kids haven't been able to be out in our yard much this summer and it has been hard. We have had so much rain that it hadn't been possible and then we had a huge inundation of fleas and mosquitoes. It was awful. It looks like we finally might have it under control, so they hopefully they will be able to start going back outside. And thankfully, we haven't had constant rain for slightly over a week! There is something about being outside that really nurtures the imagination and sets them free!

As far as life skills, I expect them to help clean up their toys even as toddlers. Obviously at that pt it is mostly imitation, but they learn to understand that they just can't leave things out every where. They "help" fold dishclothes and small hand towels. They can carry small stacks of laundry to their room, etc.

A major life skill I am working with my 3 yod is that she needs to keep clothes on!!! She likes to take off what she is wearing and put on dress-ups, but half the time she will then take those off and run around in her underwear and does not want to put her clothes back on. ;)

Really, the other posts are pretty much the same as mine. I replied on the other thread about "not playing with your kids." Oh, one idea that I didn't see mentioned as far as encouraging them to play imaginatively is building forts. Hours of entertainment are to be had by my kids by blankets covering tables, chairs, and cushions. My toddlers/3 yo love this!

My two-and-a-half-year-old dd also loves to dress up, then walk around naked. We let her because it's warm and she's potty training.

Our 10-year-old still loves forts and all the type of play you mentioned.

Regentrude, thanks for mentioning cutting meat with a knife and riding a bike, because none of my kids know how to formally cut meat with a knife (the 10-year-old either - yikes) and my six-year-old still rides a bike with training wheels. I know what we'll be doing today. Sigh. To me it's daunting to see how many things children need to be explicitly taught. I'm exhausted, and I only have three.

My kids do lots of imaginative play I think the environment is more important than any specific toys around. I think the prevalence of electronics and the fear of our children being bored is a bigger hindrance than anything else.

Things we do have:

- dress-up clothes

- instruments

- tea party supplies

- craft and art supplies- free reign here

-blocks and legos

- bin of stuffed animals/dolls, baby stroller

-outside toys- playset, wheelbarrow, wagon, shovels, bikes

They make tons of forts and such and are free to make some messes (and of course clean them up when done)

OH, and my daughter just now got off her training wheels, she is nearly 6.5. She is my perfectionist, nervous and sensitive child. We waited until she asked us to take them off, well the first time around she took right off and had no trouble at all. She wanted to know she could do it before she tried, that is her personality. My son had his off around 5 if not before and he had to practice much more to get it but he is the persistent type who loves a challenge and is not afraid of failure.

My kids help a lot around the house and in the kitchen. My 6yo loves to cook and asks me nearly daily to bake something. We do have a few assigned chores but mostly it is as needed. They take turns setting the table, clean bathrooms, keep their own room clean, etc.

They dress themselves and I let them pick their clothes- without too much comment- I don't let them wear fancy dresses everywhere. My 3yo picks interesting combos :)

We take lots of walks, bike, hike, read books and work around the house together. We sing songs, sometimes it is real songs but I make up songs all the time as well. I make up poems as well :) I generally don't play with them but I am involved with them, if that makes sense at all. We happily order our favorite sandwich when the tea shop is open and *eat* it with great satisfaction. I find recipes for dd and help and supervise when needed.

Absolutely!! My kids all love music and love playing instruments. One thing we have found is that it is worth the money to buy higher quality instruments and cheaper in the long run bc they are mor durable. This link has a list of where you can buy different quality items.

http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/families/equipment-guide

This is the best Tom-Tom we have ever had and it still looks and sounds like brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Remo-Percussion-Diameter-Mallet-Forest/dp/B0002F7KUG/ref=sr_1_1/179-2618832-9430664?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1379241711&sr=1-1&keywords=Tom-Tom

Thanks for sharing the instrument links. We love music around here as well.

Both of my girls loved (and still love) many of the same things already mentioned such as dress-up clothes, art supplies, Play-dough or clay, etc. They also spent many hours outside (especially) on beautiful days wearing dress-up clothes pretending to live in medieval times, Narnian times, pioneer times, etc. We bought them plastic swords that looked authentic and bows (arrows were kept for real archery practice but they just gathered sticks for arrows during medieval play). These were their props. Also, I gave them old dishes for outside and they made leaf soup, acorn tea, and medicine made from water and crushed flowers (weeds). :)

There is an inexpensive ebook on Montessori preschool and you can even just google some "Montessori practical life checklists" for ideas on practical things to cover with your kids, like clearing a table, tying shoes, etc. Just in case you're forgetful and like checklists (like me). :D

I don't force academics with my little kids.  Mostly we just read books, play outside, do lots of informal stuff (singing songs cover everything from latin, French, sign language, to numbers).  And then they pick up a lot by watching older kids.  My 5 yo taught herself to read just by watching their spelling lessons.  Imagine my surprise when one day when she was about 4 she started reading off the board. :lol:  My 5 yo does demand "school work", though, and I oblige when she's wanting it, but I'm not a fan of forcing it at this age.  I'm not going to deny her, but I'm not going to push her, either.

I think the prevalence of electronics and the fear of our children being bored is a bigger hindrance than anything else.

Thanks for this.  I have been thinking a lot about the fear of being bored lately - for big people as well as small!  It's the need to whip out a smartphone while standing in line or waiting for food in a restaurant or any other moment in which one is not actively engaged.  I'm trying to be more intentional myself about only reaching for my phone/computer when I actually need it rather than when I'm "bored".  

I think one of the things I'm hearing in this thread is that by being "bored" - or actually just un-busy from our go-go-go adult view point - children learn to rely on their own creativity.  I can see creating an enriching environment and then letting children actually experience it at their own pace increases their stamina for independent play.  Plus, there are times when we ARE going to be bored.  I have to stand in line at the super market if we are going to eat dinner.  We have to wait at the doctor's office, because it's important for us to stay healthy.  Now *I* have to learn to see this time as opportunities for good conversation and observation of the world around us rather than wasted/bored time.  

There is an inexpensive ebook on Montessori preschool and you can even just google some "Montessori practical life checklists" for ideas on practical things to cover with your kids, like clearing a table, tying shoes, etc. Just in case you're forgetful and like checklists (like me). :D

I love checklists :-)  It's so easy for me to fall into a routine and forget to pay attention to the fact that kids grow up and are ready for more challenges!  Checklists and other mommies' ways of doing things are nice reminders that it's always time to learn new things!

I am finding that one of the biggest challenges for me in thinking about being a homeschool mom is how much does need to be taught intentionally.  When I was in the classroom, I could easily handle reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic, but mom at home was responsible for dressing selves, table manners, social coaching.  Sure I gave reminders (and tied a lot of shoes! Plus zipping - I can zip/unzip even the most stuck zipper!), and modeled behavior when an incident arose, but I was building on a foundation that mom created.  Now I'm going to do both - create the foundation, re-enforce the foundation, oh yeah, and eventual get those three R's done, too!  Yikes!

Thank you. I was going to butt in and say that, but I see you covered it. Expose your dc to music. I'm partial to classical, but I'm the mother of violinists, so don't mind me. ;)

The book, The Power of Play by David Elkind was a game changer for me.  I would think that a good library would carry it.  Another book that has a lot to say about what toddlers benefit from is The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.  Any one of its seven editions should be in a library that has shelves.  :)

Elkind would say, let them play.  and Trelease would say, read to them.  Their research and arguments are very persuasive. 

These two books are foundational for me.  

If you can fill your pre-kers life with love, play, music, sleep, good food, play, books, play, books, good food....then you won't need this, the digital potty:

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-iPotty-Activity-Seat/dp/B00B3G8UGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379307530&sr=8-1&keywords=ipod+potty

:)  :)  he he he 

One thing I did unintentionally with my older crew and then on purpose with my younger crew is that as they transitioned out of needing nap-time I kept that time and required that they rest or read or draw or play very quietly (every day after lunch for 1 1/2 hours and just 1 hour on weekends) in a location by themselves.  In a large family like mine having time to yourself is important for everyone- not just mom and dad, and when I realized it meant that my kids were having to learn how to entertain themselves and getting some breathing room for their brains and their own imagination I have stuck with it.  

It's an amazing skill- to be able to be by yourself and without any electronic stimulation.  

We do it to this day.  If my older kids are home they appreciate the time to relax and work on things without having the little boys whooping through the house.