Menu

First time homeschooler stumped on Science...

Guest saramillet

Guest saramillet

Hello!

This is my first full year homeschooling my 1st grade daughter and I am stumped on what to do with science.  A few of the curriculum providers I have researched are using Harcourt Science textbooks for 1st grade, but I'm not sure if that is the route I want to take.  What did you do in 1st grade for Science?

I didn't homeschool 1st, but for 2-4, we are using Evan Moor Daily Science units (picking and choosing, rearranging and not going day by day within units) as a loose spine. I add Magic School Bus episodes, Bill Nye episodes, documentaries, and other books like the DK Eyewitness guides.

We started BFSU volume 1 and this year are starting on volume 2. Formatting is not user friendly, but the program is very meaty, flexible and should leave us very well prepared for high school (even if we don't finish all three books).

One of the reasons I wanted to homeschool was to make science (and history) follow a logical progression through grade school, rather than a repetitive series of disconnected topics.

In first grade I think you can read books from the library. I used a lot of Usborne illustrated science encyclopedias. The kids loved them. There is SO much for a kid to learn about animals, weather, the ocean, etc, which they are usually more than happy to learn, you don't have to look far... or even use a formal curriculum. I say have fun at this age and let her explore. :)

We have enjoyed using the lapbooks from Elemental Science.  It's great if your daughter likes to cut, color, and paste, even if you are lapbook-phobic.  :D  It's all laid out.  The program also includes lots of recommendations of books to get from the library.  You can use it alone, or since it is inexpensive, as a supplement to another program.

Another vote for BFSU. The lesson format is not user-friendly for the parent, but I think the approach is fabulous, and DD6 is eating it up and asks to do science almost every day. I think it's fun to teach, since my own science education was abysmal and I'm learning right along with her! We supplement with living books (when we can find some at our lame library) and make notebook pages when there's something to draw or write down - it's totally low-key and flexible. If you do one lesson every two weeks you can finish the first volume in about two years, or you can pick up the pace here and there and then do longer unit studies on certain subjects, which is my plan. I love the flexibility. Oh, and the manual is cheap and the experiments use mostly household items.

Most importantly for us, the topics we've covered so far are foundational to understanding the natural world (the concepts build on each other), and it's easy to connect what we're learning to everyday life. I really think that that is what makes this program so fun for us, and well worth the planning time for me at this point.

I'm using the Bernstein Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature as my outline of what to cover, then I'm adding in videos and library books to round it out. I'm also making my own notebooking pages to go along with it. It's been the best year of early elementary science I've done so far.

Wish I'd figured this out when my oldest was this age! 

I bought BFSU first and while I love the idea of it, I just didn't have the time or energy to figure out how to use it. I gave up on that pretty quickly and went with Real Science Odyssey from Pandia Press (they're having a 25% off sale right now, btw). I like their products and find them easy to implement. You can download generous samples of their products on the website to see if you like it. Also I don't know for sure if this is still the case, but you used to be able to get the Mr. Q Life Science for free on his website.

Using REAL Science Odyssey here, too, and loving it. 

When my dd (now 8) was in 1st grade, we just did some fun experiments off the internet from time to time, studied and grew some seeds, made a seed collection, that kind of thing - all very low-key.  During her outside playtime, she also developed a keen interest in roly-polies, which we followed up with library books and a lapbook.  (It was so fun seeing how much she learned about them just from interest-led observation!)

My ds6, who is now in 1st, gets a bit of a different experience, since I decided to use RSO with both of them at once.  We all love it, and the labs are really fun, and quite simple. 

I bought BFSU first and while I love the idea of it, I just didn't have the time or energy to figure out how to use it. I gave up on that pretty quickly and went with Real Science Odyssey from Pandia Press (they're having a 25% off sale right now, btw). I like their products and find them easy to implement. You can download generous samples of their products on the website to see if you like it. Also I don't know for sure if this is still the case, but you used to be able to get the Mr. Q Life Science for free on his website.

Same thing here. In 1st grade, we did Real Science Odyssey: Life and she loved it. Lessons are short but solid and always involve a hands-on project/experiment. We're using RSO again this year.

Ditto on NOEO science-- and if cost is a concern for you, there is no need to purchase the science books (all living books such as Usborne encyclopedias) if you are willing to use the library instead. The TG is great for guidance and the lab kits are a lifesaver for me. No more scrambling to collect everything I need for one simple experiment. A super help for someone wanting a classical/Charlotte Mason approach but not really sure where to start. Plus, my DS6 loooooves it!

I'm using the Bernstein Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature as my outline of what to cover, then I'm adding in videos and library books to round it out. I'm also making my own notebooking pages to go along with it. It's been the best year of early elementary science I've done so far.

Wish I'd figured this out when my oldest was this age!

Have you by any chance shared the notebooking pages on your blog? I'd love to see them! I'm planning to start this book with my 6yo soon (with 3yo listening in!).

We kind of use elemental science.  I end up reworking it every year and then realize it was dumb to buy because I changed so much!

Upon recommendation here, I bought one of the magic schoolbus science kids (human body).  It has some fun stuff.  Not enough "information", but all you need for some simple experiments.  Totally easy to look at the experiments and find books with information at the library.  I think I will continue with different MSB kits with my younger kiddos in coming years.  It's fun, and easy.

Guest sunshine1221

I like my science to be outside or hands-on; my DS 7 is using The Nature Connection Workbook by Walker and some Young Scientists Kits.  We also have a Discovery Streaming subscription to help out with curious questions :) 

For first grade, we did our own thing with the Magic School Bus videos and then doing an experiment, reading some books on the subject, and making lapbooks to go with it.  I needed free and/or cheap last year.  If I were going to do it again, I'd probably try this:  http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=50  It's REAL Science Odyssey from Pandia Press and looks really fun! :)