Menu

PSAT at local schools

KRG

I know everyone will have a different experience but did your high school student have any trouble registering for the PSAT at the local high school?

Our local district is not exactly homeschool friendly so I'm not sure if I will even hear back from them.  

We had no problem last year.  It was my first interaction with that high school.  The test went pretty smoothly. 

Over the summer, I sent an email to the coordinator, telling her that it had been a great experience and we were interested again this year.  I had the forms in my email by late August.

This is similar to the experience my friend had with registering for AP exams.  There is also a local private school that offers seats to homeschoolers.  But I figure that folks who went before me worked to make sure there was a pathway for testing at the high schools and I want to test there in part to keep that pathway open and well used.  YMMV

I wouldn't assume that there would be a problem until you actually ask.

I thought we were going to have a problem this year registering my daughter for the PSAT at our local high school.  Thanks to the Hive, I now know that Texas requires public schools to allow homeschoolers to take the PSAT.  I was having problems last week, but heard just today that my daughter will be taking the test at the closest high school.  It will cost $14.00 only.

No problem last year. They were friendly on the phone when giving me the info, and friendly when I walked into the office to register my student and drop the check.

I am not anticipating any problems this year; they were already friendly on the phone.

But I do go in on the first day they do signups to make sure we get a space; not sure whether this is necessary at all. Last year there were very few students taking the test.

Our local high school was very friendly about the PSAT. I sent an email to ask about it and they signed ds up before they even answered my questions. 

On the other hand, they have a policy against homeschoolers taking APs there. They don't offer many anyway, but still. I haven't found any public or private school in the area that will let us take APs. Thats another thread though.

Our high school welcomes homeschoolers (from anywhere) for the PSAT since adding another "body" to the tests is no big deal.

AND, as of last year if you live in our district they will also proctor AP tests for homeschoolers (for free - you pay for the test) EVEN THOUGH OUR SCHOOL DOESN'T GIVE THE TESTS TO OUR OWN STUDENTS!  I'm proud of the way they've grown.  (When I first asked if middle son could take AP tests there I was told no since we didn't offer them to our own students - they've since decided that if a student lives in our district, their parents are paying taxes, so the school should offer to "service" APs.)

This was a few years ago, when ds took the PSAT for the first time, but at that time, our local public high schools were friendly... but not very helpful. 

It took two weeks of playing phone tag (mostly me calling) to finally reach the right person at the high school we preferred. The lady was very nice, but not sure if ds could test there, due to the large number of students they test.  She said they were having a meeting on it and she would call me back (she didn't.) After a few days I called her again, only to get her voicemail, which was full!  Not a good sign. When I finally reached her, by sheer luck, she said the answer was no, we would have to ask this other school that we lived closer to.  Having no desire to ride this merry-go-round again with the other school (and that school was far down on my list of acceptable locations, because of its environment), I called a private school that we had actually helped found--to my surprise, they were not all that friendly, and turned us down (?!)  So finally,  I called our local Catholic high school.  They were wonderful.  Within seconds I was talking to the guidance counselor himself who said, "Sure!! Just send me a check."   I can't tell you how relieved I was.  So ds and (later) dd took all their PSAT tests at the Catholic school and had a wonderful experience every time.

I know other homeschoolers have taken the PSAT at the local high schools, and it turned out okay, but their experiences were frequently stressful.

I don't know how it is now for the PSAT.  I do know that just a year ago when I called the College Board to get a list of AP coordinators, the Catholic high school guidance counselor was the ONLY one listed in my area as being willing to administer AP tests to outside students!  And this is a decent size city... we have 3 public high schools and several more in surrounding communities.   So, we did AP's at the Catholic school, which even proctored the exams they weren't already giving to their own students.

Anyway, I'd recommend not waiting to hear back--keep calling (or go in person) until you get an answer and also start calling other schools--public, private and Catholic.  You never know which school will prove most helpful!

Call them, or show up in person

I think this would help, or in some way find a "person" to communicate with, not a "district." 

I communicate with a certain guidance counselor at our local public school.  She wouldn't normally be assigned to our last name, but she is an acquaintance and I can talk to her as a person, not an agency.

I thought we were going to have a problem this year registering my daughter for the PSAT at our local high school.  Thanks to the Hive, I now know that Texas requires public schools to allow homeschoolers to take the PSAT.

I agree it's good to find out your local laws. 

Our school offers spots for those outside the school on a space-available basis.  But there are a lot of schools near us, so if one was full, then the next one would work, too.

I do think you always need to register and pay in advance.  You may also need some sort of ID if you don't have their school ID, even to be in the building.  I have bought those online student homeschool IDs and they have worked for pretty much anything (and ours says homeschool) -- the only rule seems to be that they must have a unique ID "number," and they do.

Julie

Our high school is just telling us to show up and they'll let ds in if they have room.  They say that they should have room but I don't like to leave it to chance like this.  

I'd call any local private schools to see if they have a bit more firm plan in place. AT least I would if he is junior and must take the PSAT for national merit. 

I now have my dc on the PSAT waiting list at two different private schools.  The small school only orders enough tests for their maximum number of students per grade, so if a few more kids transfer in, they'll get the tests.  The larger school orders enough for all of their juniors plus more for sophomores, and the guidance counselor told me they usually have a bunch left over for homeschoolers.  We don't have to pay in advance at either school; we just need to let them know a week in advance if that's where ds will be taking it.

I am not having any problem here with getting the PSAT done at my local ps high school even though she is going to get 50% more time on all sections plus priority seating (distraction free - or as much distraction free as possible).  SHe is my last kid and I had no problems in NM, overseas DOD school, FL, and VA too with my other kids.

We live in a rural area, and there is only one high school in our county which was so flaky with testing our oldest that we'll never do any testing with them again. The school that's in the next county over is wonderful! We switched to them for the PSAT and APs and have had great testing experiences. They are polite to deal with and provide a very quiet testing environment.

Hope everyone finds a solid place to test their student.

My kids are still young but I'm already worried about it. In CA we don't have homeschoolers. We are registered as a private school so we don't have access to anything provided by the district.

Anyone have experience with PSATs as a private school in CA? I'm assuming it's easier if you're under a charter school.

I did contact a counselor and she did respond today.  All we have to do is go to the school this week and pay and then he will have to sign in at the day of the test.  She said they will have someone to take him to the room where the test is being proctored.  

I inadvertently made problems for myself.  Thinking my dd might feel more comfortable where she knew at least a very few people, I registered her with a local Christian school.  We later read the accompanying rules, which dictated she wear clothing that was at least comparable to the dress code. She did not own khakis, and she would have had to wear a skirt. 

Considering it would already be a very early morning for her and that she does not typically wear (long, dress up) skirts, we ultimately decided that the whole clothing thing was one giant stressor she didn't need.

By the time I called the local school, they had no more spots.  Schools outside of my county were unwilling to accommodate her, since she wasn't in their county. 

She never took the PSAT.

Otoh, SAT was simple.  We registered online, and students from many schools came to test at one school.  It was a huge relief.

My kids are still young but I'm already worried about it. In CA we don't have homeschoolers. We are registered as a private school so we don't have access to anything provided by the district.

Anyone have experience with PSATs as a private school in CA? I'm assuming it's easier if you're under a charter school.

I'm curious about this too.  I'd never considered how being private schools could create an issue for testing.

For the past several years a local homeschooling mom has arranged for homeschoolers to take the PSAT at a local Christian school.  Last year there didn't seem to be any limit, or at least the mom coordinating it didn't mention one.  It was simple and easy.  This year, the same school only had 5 spots available, and fortunately I got my dd into one of them.  The fee is $33.  With my oldest dd I had a heck of a time finding a school and finally ended up at an alternative school.  The counselor told me they usually had spots since so few of their students took the PSAT.

I'm curious about this too.  I'd never considered how being private schools could create an issue for testing.

We file as a private school in CA, but informally we are considered homeschoolers. We have never had a problem testing at local (public) schools. I know other "independent" homeschoolers (i.e., private schools) who have tested at both public and Christian schools. (Same with AP exams -- you may have to hunt a bit, but you can always find a public and/or Christian school that will let your kid test with its students .... at least in the LA and SF metropolitan areas! It may entail a drive of up to an hour ... but for us it was worth it.)

Being in a charter doesn't necessarily make it easier ... Sometimes the charter school doesn't even offer the PSAT (!); sometimes it *is* offered, but at the charter headquarters, which can be in an adjacent county and therefore an hour's drive away ...

Another of the options in CA, being part of a public school's homeschool/alternative-education division, does make it easier, as long as the public school offers the PSAT.

We file as a private school in CA, but informally we are considered homeschoolers. We have never had a problem testing at local (public) schools. I know other "independent" homeschoolers (i.e., private schools) who have tested at both public and Christian schools.

Being in a charter doesn't necessarily make it easier ... Sometimes the charter school doesn't even offer the PSAT (!); sometimes it *is* offered, but at the charter headquarters, which can be in an adjacent county and therefore an hour's drive away ...

Another of the options in CA, being part of a public school's homeschool/alternative-education division, does make it easier, as long as the public school offers the PSAT.

Just out of curiosity when you contact the school do you identify your kid as a homeschooler or just say you're looking for a testing seat.

We file as a private school in CA, but informally we are considered homeschoolers. We have never had a problem testing at local (public) schools. I know other "independent" homeschoolers (i.e., private schools) who have tested at both public and Christian schools. (Same with AP exams -- you may have to hunt a bit, but you can always find a public and/or Christian school that will let your kid test with its students .... at least in the LA and SF metropolitan areas! It may entail a drive of up to an hour ... but for us it was worth it.)

Thank you, this is helpful. We are in the SF metropolitan area so it's a high-density area for schools.

Same question as Sebastian, above.

We register as a private school in CA too. True we don't have access to school classes through the district or sports or ECs. However, when it came to the PSAT we had luck with the local ps high school last year, and a ps magnet this year. It took a bit of calling around last year. Middle schools turned us down, a couple private schools never responded to my request, and initially the local high school said they "didn't know if it was allowed." But then local hs called back and was amenable. Unfortunately either College Board or the high school lost his answer sheet (neither fessed up), so I wanted to try a different school this year just in case.

I'll be meeting with the college guidance counselor at this new ps magnet on Monday to pay the $14 registration fee and pick up the student booklet. Easy peasey! She said they've had homeschoolers take the PSAT there before and also AP exams if it's a test they offer their own students, and said she had nice experiences with the other homeschoolers. So thank you to those nice homeschoolers who paved the way for us! : )

When your kids are older, just start calling the schools closest to you and ask to speak to the college guidance counselor - seems every high school around here has one. Let them know that the College Board requests high schools to allow homeschoolers to take the PSAT, and quickly tell them you understand that you will need to pay a registration fee. I think that may be why some schools here get nervous - they don't want to pay for a homeschooler so they just ignore your request.

If you don't hear back from anyone, I suggest being proactive and cold-calling! Show up on their doorstep - it's harder to turn you down face-to-face with a check in hand : )

Just out of curiosity when you contact the school do you identify your kid as a homeschooler or just say you're looking for a testing seat.

Thank you, this is helpful. We are in the SF metropolitan area so it's a high-density area for schools.

Same question as Sebastian, above.

Ah, SF area should be no problem. When the time gets closer, I can PM you the names of schools in the SF area that are homeschool-friendly.

And yes, I did call myself a homeschooler. Most of the time. We live in a small town, so when it was the local ps, and I knew the person (from Little League, church, etc.!), I'd just say we're homeschoolers. For cold calls (schools all over the Bay Area -- finding a seat for AP Comp Gov required a LOT of work!), I'd just say we're looking for a test our local school doesn't give.

Most people, even who work in schools, don't know that homeschoolers are technically -- legally -- private schools; and even when they do, it's obviously only a technicality (a private school with one or two kids!!). Also, the schools that are welcoming to homeschoolers (like our local ps) also usually let kids from private schools test there, too, so it's a non-issue which one you are.

We register as a private school in CA too. True we don't have access to school classes through the district or sports or ECs. However, when it came to the PSAT we had luck with the local ps high school last year, and a ps magnet this year. It took a bit of calling around last year. Middle schools turned us down, a couple private schools never responded to my request, and initially the local high school said they "didn't know if it was allowed." But then local hs called back and was amenable. Unfortunately either College Board or the high school lost his answer sheet (neither fessed up), so I wanted to try a different school this year just in case.

I'll be meeting with the college guidance counselor at this new ps magnet on Monday to pay the $14 registration fee and pick up the student booklet. Easy peasey! She said they've had homeschoolers take the PSAT there before and also AP exams if it's a test they offer their own students, and said she had nice experiences with the other homeschoolers. So thank you to those nice homeschoolers who paved the way for us! : )

When your kids are older, just start calling the schools closest to you and ask to speak to the college guidance counselor - seems every high school around here has one. Let them know that the College Board requests high schools to allow homeschoolers to take the PSAT, and quickly tell them you understand that you will need to pay a registration fee. I think that may be why some schools here get nervous - they don't want to pay for a homeschooler so they just ignore your request.

If you don't hear back from anyone, I suggest being proactive and cold-calling! Show up on their doorstep - it's harder to turn you down face-to-face with a check in hand : )

Grrr about losing the test!! I always worry about homeschoolers getting lost in the shuffle.

And I agree with Pepper's entire post!! YES yes yes - to smoothing the way for homeschoolers to come after you. I ALWAYS offer to pay; I always send a thank-you note afterwards; sometimes I give a small donation to their PTA (always appreciated, in these days of budget cuts); and I offer to help. Last year I checked kids in for the PSAT -- which was quite fun, since - as we live in a small town, as I mentioned - I knew quite a few of the kids from WAY back -- preschool, Little League, etc. ... and I'd be like, 'Oh, you're so-and-so's brother!'  :lol:  Anyway, that (volunteering) was greatly appreciated -- they had several hundred kids testing, and about 8 parents showed up to help.

And yes to going in person ... the staff is often harried on the phone, or too busy to return calls, but often very nice in person, plus you get it dealt with. :)

Last year, I took in some cookies for the office the day the test.  The teachers seemed to appreciate the thought.   I'll take something this year as well, even though I now know the public schools in Texas are required to allow homeschoolers to take the test.  I want to retain a great relationship with them.  

With as much potential scholarship money that rides on this one test, there should be no question about where homeschoolers test.  Why can't it be set up the same way as the SAT?  

Local Catholic school (obviously private) just told me that they don't allow anyone other than their students to take the test there.  The public high school hasn't called me back.  I will call them again but didn't want to make them hate me by calling too often.  I could go to the school but I'd have to look up where our local high school even is.  We're in a weird situation where our little city doesn't have it's own school district.  So our local high school is in the next city over and I've never driven past it when I've gone over there.  

Jean, call your local school district administrative office. Sometimes I find that to be a faster means of getting things done.

Is there a district or school office to which you have to submit any kind of homeschooling paperwork (like a notice of intent or proof of progress)?  Maybe you could call them and ask for help.

I know there are places where this would be of any use. But you never know.

Do you know any high school teachers who might be able to help you out with getting to the people who can say yes? Anyone from church or sports?

Local Catholic school (obviously private) just told me that they don't allow anyone other than their students to take the test there.  The public high school hasn't called me back.  I will call them again but didn't want to make them hate me by calling too often.  I could go to the school but I'd have to look up where our local high school even is.  We're in a weird situation where our little city doesn't have it's own school district.  So our local high school is in the next city over and I've never driven past it when I've gone over there.  

You may have already done this, but College Board has a search here that will list schools by city that are offering the PSAT (not necessarily to you!) At least it gives you a couple addresses to explore.

Really sorry you're having trouble finding a place. :grouphug:  It's stressful hanging in limbo, but I'm sure it will all work out for you eventually. "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..."

I've now left a message at the next district over from us.  We'll see if they will be more willing to help than our home district.  

Fwiw, my district is notorious for not returning emails and phone calls.  

The deadline for PSAT signup is fast approaching - my district's deadline is next week.

I would not wait any longer hoping that someone will return your messages.  I would go down in person on Monday and not leave until you have received some sort of definitive answer.  

I don't understand why the College Board has to make this whole PSAT process such a production!

Good luck!!!

When I sent the email to the counselor I said my son was in 10th grade and we homeschooled.  I asked if they allowed homeschoolers to test at the high school and did they have a space for him.  

Friday I handed my son $17 cash and dropped him at the front door(I told him where the front office was--I graduated from this school).  He went in and told them who he was and who he needed to talk to.  I waited in the car.  He was gone about 20 minutes.  He said everyone was super nice.  They gave him  a pre-test booklet.  They told him what time to be at the school, where to check in and they showed him where the test will be held.  No problems at all!  He doesn't have to follow the dress code but he cannot have his cell phone at school.  

Those of you who suggest going down to the local school.  How does that work?  Do I go into the office and ask to sign up?  What if the sign up person is gone or occupied?  Do I just end up leaving a message?  Obviously if the right person is there, it makes my questions moot but it never seems to work out that way for me. . . 

Jean. Try searching for the high school name and PSAT registration. You might be able to find the announcement with a point of contact and maybe even the sign up form and cost.

Then you could ask for that specific person first and use PSAT coordinator as a fall back title.

I did this.  The official word is that PSAT registration information is "coming soon".  They are just really disorganized or at least they leave it to later, it sounds like.  That's probably why I'm not getting through to anyone.  No one at the office will answer my questions - they put me through to the counseling office voice mail.  No one there is returning my calls.  

I did this.  The official word is that PSAT registration information is "coming soon".  They are just really disorganized or at least they leave it to later, it sounds like.  That's probably why I'm not getting through to anyone.  No one at the office will answer my questions - they put me through to the counseling office voice mail.  No one there is returning my calls.  

My guess is that they have not updated their website, but that the registration information has already been sent out to the student population.  I would go down to the school in person as soon as possible and ask to speak with a guidance counselor.  If the secretary or other "gatekeeper" tells you that a guidance counselor is not available, simply act clueless and say that you will be happy to wait until the guidance counselor is available.  Then take a seat before the secretary/gatekeeper can respond.  This approach has worked for me every single time.  The longest I have ever had to wait is 30 minutes. 

I don't want to cause panic, but the PSAT signup deadline at my public school was last Friday.  Good luck!

Those of you who suggest going down to the local school.  How does that work?  Do I go into the office and ask to sign up?  What if the sign up person is gone or occupied?  Do I just end up leaving a message?  Obviously if the right person is there, it makes my questions moot but it never seems to work out that way for me. . . 

Go into the main office and request to speak to the person(s) is in charge of tests. In our school, those are the guidance counselors, and they have a separate office to which they may direct you. I suggest you avoid early morning when school just starts, and lunch time, and instead go mid-morning or in the early afternoon.

Btw, our school does not begin PSAT signups until October 1.