Menu

Can we please rename the Food Network....

Elfknitter.#

I like the competition shows.  I still learn stuff and the challenges make it more fun for me.  

I'm especially addicted to Chopped and Iron Chef.  Granted, half the reason I'm addicted to Iron Chef is because Bobby Flay and Michael Symon are my boyfriends (no, they don't know this yet), but the show is still fun to me. 

I hate Guy Fieri, though.  He gets on my nerves.

I have loved Guy from the beginning.  I hate DDD.  I love Alton. His brand new show is really stupid.  Now I'm seeing ads for a cooking/game show for teams of kids led by Guy and Rachel.  What are Bob and Susie thinking?

I want Justin Warner (well, I want to watch him on tv).  I want Rodney the Pie Man (so they choose incredibly annoying Demaris). 

We used to watch Food Network for many hours each week.  Now we watch other stuff on Hulu.

I don't think FN cares about the "stars" who wins their show.  I think they care about the show where they compete to be stars.

:(

I loved Fieri on Next Food Network star, and I'm so sick of seeing his schtick on FN. The guy can cook, i'm not sure why Guy's Big Bite isn't on anymore. They canceled Good Eats which was one of my favorite shows. I do listen to Alton's podcast now and will catch up on repeats when I see them. 

I'll still flip to FN during the day sometimes - Ina, Rachael, Giada and Ree are all on. I miss their actual food shows though and not just the in studio cooking ones - $40/day, door knock dinners, Tyler FLorence's 911 show. Now it's all crap at night. Well, I do like Chopped and Iron chef. But I agree with PP - no need for a mini marathon each night. Each night have either 1 chopped, 1 Iron Chef, 2 DDD's, 1 restaurant impossible, and 1 stupid something (cupcake, food truck) wars show at 10 and show actual cooking shows the rest of the time. 

I like some of the over the top competition shows. I like Food Network Challenge which is a cake competition. I loved Iron Chef Redemption which was on during the end of year holiday season last year. I was so excited when Alex Guarnaschelli won. I got burned out on Iron Chef America though. My favorites on that show were Morimoto and Batali. Those are way old shows though. I haven't seen too many newer ones. I like Cupcake Wars and Sweet Genius. And I really hope they bring back Halloween Wars in October.

For cooking shows, I like Pioneer Woman, Barefoot Contessa, and Giada at Home.

I have no interest in Food Truck Race, Food Court Wars, or Cutthroat Kitchen.

Although my absolute favorite competition show right now is Masterchef: The Professionals on BBC America. I know there is an American version of Masterchef, but I don't know anything about it or what channel it's shown on, if it's even still shown.

We love watching many of the food network shows, especially the competitions. My kids are actually "playing" food truck race with stuffed animals lined up at their stations this morning. Mean mom told them no one comes up for breakfast until the basement is clean...there is fake food, menus, order sheets and tickets everywhere.

I have loved Guy from the beginning.  I hate DDD.  I love Alton. His brand new show is really stupid.  Now I'm seeing ads for a cooking/game show for teams of kids led by Guy and Rachel.  What are Bob and Susie thinking?

I want Justin Warner (well, I want to watch him on tv).  I want Rodney the Pie Man (so they choose incredibly annoying Demaris). 

We used to watch Food Network for many hours each week.  Now we watch other stuff on Hulu.

I don't think FN cares about the "stars" who wins their show.  I think they care about the show where they compete to be stars.

:(

The Pie Man?  Really?  I almost had to change the channel every time he spoke.  "Watch me turn this PBJ into a killer pie, BROTHA!"

I don't like Demaris, either.  I liked Stacey.  And Nikki.  

I cannot stand Guy.  He grates on my nerves.  I don't need to see an aging surfer dude take monstrous bites of terribly fattening food and then talk with his mouth full.  I really don't need to play "see-food" with him, nor do I want to hear it as he speaks.  I half expect him to fart and scratch his privates.  I skip past that channel as fast as I can. 

The Pie Man?  Really?  I almost had to change the channel every time he spoke.  "Watch me turn this PBJ into a killer pie, BROTHA!"

LOL. You didn't add that he spoke as if he had a mouthful of marbles!

Rodney reminded me of the (now) former pothead guys that I went to high school with who are a few of my FB friends:  enthusiastic, down to earth, good and trustworthy guys who turned a chaotic life into a respectable one.  :)

Stacey was okay but became boring.  Nikki, we liked a lot.

I like DD&Ds, but then we don't watch it obsessively. We travel a bit and have been to some of those places. I like Guy...and Alton, Bobby, Giada, Ina, Melissa, and these days, Trisha. I'm not a fan of the Pioneer Woman.

I don't like Chopped, the Cupcake anythings, or Alton's new show Cutthroat Kitchen. Sweet Genius gives me the creeps. We used to watch Iron Chef America every week...but Bobby and Michael are the only good ones left to compete. I miss Mario and Morimoto.

The Network picked Damaris because they need a zany replacement for Paula Deen. I liked her okay. I was very glad the Pie Man didn't get it....he gets old in a hurry. I did like Russell, too.

It's just not as good as it used to be...but it beats most other channels any day of the week. :)

I have to agree with you about Pah Stahl. He's probably a lovely, fun guy, but his delivery was irksome. And the singing was cringeworthy.

We were Nikki fans around here; I loved her Meat on the Side concept, and she seems like a gentle, calm, authoritative presence (probably why she got dinged; FN isn't known for choosing mellow on-air people). I did hear that she's currently expecting, though, so she probably couldn't have done a show, anyway.

I cannot stand Guy.  He grates on my nerves.  I don't need to see an aging surfer dude take monstrous bites of terribly fattening food and then talk with his mouth full.  I really don't need to play "see-food" with him, nor do I want to hear it as he speaks.  I half expect him to fart and scratch his privates.  I skip past that channel as fast as I can. 

He does come across as so revolting. It's infuriating, because he'll sometimes say something almost breathtakingly insightful about food. He is obviously an intelligent and creative person, and probably a pretty good cook, but he's made his career by wrapping all that in juvenile behavior, ridiculous outfits, and insipid catchphrases. His moments of subtlety (usually a sidelong glance at the camera when somebody adds a weird ingredient) are almost depressing because he insists on following them by yelling, "That's OFF the HOOK!!!" I'm generally not at all in favor of namecalling, but I'll admit that his nickname at TWOP makes me laugh: Lard Weasel.

We got rid of cable and only have an antenna.  I was missing the Food Network until I started watching Create on PBS.  Unfortunately not all PBS affiliates have a Create channel.  I've been occasionally watching America's Test Kitchen, Martha Stewarts Cooking School, and Lidia's Italy in America. 

None of these shows are very flashy, but I'd suggest any of them if you are looking for something instructive.http://www.createtv.com

Edited to change PB to PBS.  No idea how that happened.

I liked Nikki, too, and I also was really interested in her concept. Meat is expensive, and I would have watched a show about how to include it but not have it be the center of dishes. We didn't really like anyone else on that show. Russell was probably our vote in the end. Couldn't stand Stacey, sorry.

We used to watch FN all the time, and this thread has made me realize that we don't anymore! Robert Irvine is always on when we flip by it. I'm over Guy, over Robert Irvine. I've never liked Rachael Ray, Bobby, or Giada. I love Alton, but haven't seen his new show. It definitely seems to be more for entertaining purposes these days than instruction, which is why we liked it back in the day.

Wait--there are whole shows devoted to cooking? Isn't that rather boring? I assume it's fancy stuff--surely no one is watching these people peel potatoes?

Not necessarily always fancy stuff. People often do not even know the basics. I grew up with a mom who cooked, but a lot of my friends moms didn't.

They absolutely have an audience. When you have an audience, you should make a show. It beats all heck out of reality TV.

Alton Brown's show was always like a mini-documentary about food. And entertaining too! Wish I'd bought both the 1st and 2nd season before the price skyrocketed. :-(