Menu

Where would you go if you could escape young kids for about 5 days?

staceyobu

Alone or with DH or with friend? All different answers.

Alone (my dream): local nice hotel for 5 days of reading/movies/shopping (probably lots of book shopping). Tons of places I would love to go locally by myself.

But since I don't see that happening any time in the near future, it is a moot point. :(

Honestly, I would be happy to hide in my room with a pile of books for five days, but here are a few suggestions...Cape Cod; Lake Tahoe; Lake Powell Utah;  Corpus Christi, Texas;  Montreal, Canada; Asheville, North Carolina; Bermuda; Taos, New Mexico; San Francisco, California, San Diego, California; Victoria, British Columbia; Miami, Florida;  Hot Springs, Arkansas; anywhere in Colorado,  Montana, or Wyoming; Banff, Alberta...

Is there anywhere I missed? My suggestion is to pick somwhere that's no more than three hours by car or two hours by air with no plane changes, layovers, or stops. There are so many gorgeous, interesting places in the US and Canada, just pick something and go.

I didn't include Mexico because while it's lovely, things are a bit unsettled in certain areas. 

Have fun!!!!

I don't know if this thread is intended to be a "dream" idea or a "real possibility" idea.

I'd suggest that wherever you go, make sure the return trip home is easy.

If you have trouble making flight connections, having car trouble, getting lost . . . you will return to lots of needy kids, laundry, likely a messy house.

You will be missed!

So I would make sure I had energy "in the bank" for re-entry.

With that in mind, beach-side or lake-side would be my choice. 

But our vacation at the lake 2 weeks ago required a 12-hour car drive home, which wiped us all out. 

Thus my advice.  :)

My requirements:

Beach & comfortable weather

Nearby shopping outlets (there aren't many opportunities for a mom of littles to get fitted for a new bra)

Nearby coffee shop & book store

Internet access

Close to friends I haven't seen in a while so I have some socialization to look forward to.

Real plan... not hypothetical.  It will also probably be winter or early spring when we travel.  With DH.  We do want to actually go somewhere.  There is nothing where we live.  And, if I'm home, I'll have a hard time not spending the time cleaning and reorganizing.  

Oh, and I usually just pick somewhere that I can find a great deal on. We used to have hotel points galore and would therefore choose based on what warm beachy place had a hotel in our preferred chain. We don't rack those up now that DH doesn't travel so much, so I signed up for Travelzoo Top 20 emails and usually when I'm planning a vacation something will pop up in our price range with our desired features. Cheap Caribbean usually has some great deals on airfare+hotel if a beach is what you are looking for.

And I forgot Napa in my original list of suggestions! I never did get there and a wine tour with DD doesn't sound like much fun, so if I were without her for five days I might do that.