Menu

What does one need to save or produce for college admissions

I know a transcript is a must. What other paperwork do I need to save or produce? So do I need a book list? Scope and sequence for each course? Portfolio? The colleges dd wants to go to don't mention a portfolio on their homeschool admissions section. Do one anyway?

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere?

For Academy apps we've needed a transcript, school profile, course descriptions, explanation of how we hs under CO law, list of planned courses, transcripts from other schools/colleges, fitness test, grading scale, drug statement, medical exam, statements from "counselor" about expulsion/suspensions, self-disclosure about criminal background (eventually a criminal background check), ethnicity/race, flight experience, education level of parents and siblings, citizen status, SAT/ACT/AP/SATII, 6 letters of recommendation, 3 essays per Academy, 4 interviews, and planned major

We didn't apply to Navy but for USAFA and USMA, we had a slightly different experience:  AP/SAT II's were not required. Either ACT or SAT, not both. Only one interview per school, none for the nominations .  Nothing about how we homeschool under local law.  One mommy transcript which included the classes taken at the local high school and university.  

The bare minimum you're going to have to produce is the transcript.  "Average" schools will want the transcript, SAT or ACT scores, a few essays, a few letters of recommendation, and all your financial information.  I volunteered course descriptions and listed the primary text on the transcript.  Truly onerous schools will want numerous SAT Subject tests or a portfolio.  One of the Ohio Div III schools wants "proof" of lab work from homeschoolers.  

Echoing the comment that it depends on the school. 

I called one school where dd applied and was told that they wanted to see anything that would put applicants in a good light, whether they were homeschooled or public school students. My dd applied to four schools, and we sent ACT/SAT scores, required essay/s, a transcript, a one-paged course description for each class she took, and a 3-paged "counselor" letter that detailed our homeschool philosophy, journey, and dd's strengths. Dd's required reference letter was written by one of her dual enrollment instructors.

I would keep a detailed book list (dd didn't read more than was required in high school, so sending a list would not have been beneficial). I, personally, would keep samples of work, tests, and any information about outside classes and activities. If I had a student so inclined, I'd keep art or other created work. Of course, it's always helpful to keep this stuff too, if you are like me and don't do much of a transcript or course descriptions until the summer before senior year.  ;)

Some schools might want to see those things.  On the flip side, there is one college who ONLY accepts the required information from applicants--if you send more, your application is automatically declined.  I saw this mentioned last year on the boards here and did not believe it.  Someone provided the school name, and sure enough, they stated that on their website.  That school was definitely the exception.

For my dd, I provided informat

On the flip side, there is one college who ONLY accepts the required information from applicants--if you send more, your application is automatically declined.  I saw this mentioned last year on the boards here and did not believe it.  Someone provided the school name, and sure enough, they stated that on their website.  That school was definitely the exception.

Would you mind telling us which school that is? (Since the info is on the website, it's not a secret, right?)

What about performances? Since she wants to major in performing arts should I have a list of each production she has been in since age 3 or just high school productions?

I would definitely keep a comprehensive list to build her portfolio. Now, whether you will actually include everything in the application, I don't know, but especially in such an area long  term involvement since early childhood is very typical and I would want to document this.

And with performing arts, wouldn't the student WANT to save all programs and have a list of all her shows anyway?

I would definitely keep a comprehensive list to build her portfolio. Now, whether you will actually include everything in the application, I don't know, but especially in such an area long term involvement since early childhood is very typical and I would want to document this.

And with performing arts, wouldn't the student WANT to save all programs and have a list of all her shows anyway?

She isn't very sentimental. I've tried keeping the programs to everything, but we've moved so many times. Things get lost. I do have the names of all her dance schools and ages she attended.

Would you mind telling us which school that is? (Since the info is on the website, it's not a secret, right?)

Of course I don't mind--except that I can't remember.  Someone else here surely will.  If memory serves, it was a more elite, well known, private school, possibly in TN, KY, OH, or adjacent to one of those states. I never remember the important stuff, but I'm great with details.

I'll see if I can find it with a search of the boards, but it's more difficult for me with the new setup.

The only schoolwork I am aware of is lab notebooks from AP science courses. I have not encountered personally but ds's AP chem teacher told them to keep it bc some schools do ask to see it in order to grant lab credit. Other than that, nothing that I am aware of......eta just saw someone mention an art portfolio. Definitely yes to that too for art majors.

Don't see it yet, but I stumbled on this wonderful thread from this spring.  I've not seen it, and I definitely want to reference it when my next kid is applying to colleges:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/474019-college-application-supplementary-documentation/

Maybe it's already a sticky on this forum, or maybe it's already been linked in this thread.  It has specific suggestions and wonderful encouragements. 

One of the Ohio Div III schools wants "proof" of lab work from homeschoolers.  

It was Denison

The following documents are required to evaluate the academic background of home-schooled applicants:

• Academic Portfolio with a detailed syllabus that lists the subjects studied each year, the dates each subject was studied, a description of each course of study, required texts and reading, and evidence of laboratory experience in the sciences.

• SAT/ACT Scores - Denison's Test Optional [pdf] policy does not apply to home-schooled students.

• Two Recommendations from adults not related to the student. A family member, however, who acted as the student's primary instructor may submit a teacher recommendation. Recommendations are acceptable from private instructors, coaches, clergy, mentors, employers, or sponsors of an extracurricular activity.

(my addition of red)

http://www.denison.edu/admissions/homeschool.html

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering how many schools require that reading lists be submitted. It seems like it would be a real nuisance to maintain such a list, and that it would be difficult to determine which books should be included on the list that will be sent to colleges, and which ones to leave off the list.

I don't particularly like the idea of making my ds read a bunch of impressive-sounding books, just so he can include them on a reading list that may or may not be required by his college of choice. How many titles need to be on the list? And do colleges really believe that the kids have actually read all of those books? It would seem like many kids would simply lie and hope they weren't asked any specific questions in their interview, or that they would just read the SparkNotes or CliffNotes for a bunch of books and call it a day (or watch a ton of book-based movies and hope the movies were relatively true to the books.)

None of my dd's schools (two public, two private) required reading lists. She didn't apply to ivy league, but neither did she apply to schools that had low entrance requirements.  I would have included a reading list if I felt it would have strengthened her app. 

I don't recall reading lists as a typical requirement.  When a uni does demand more of homeschoolers, I've found that it means 2-3 SAT Subject tests that other applicants are not required to provide.  That in of itself will cause a school to be considered "unfriendly" to homeschoolers.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering how many schools require that reading lists be submitted. It seems like it would be a real nuisance to maintain such a list, and that it would be difficult to determine which books should be included on the list that will be sent to colleges, and which ones to leave off the list.

I don't particularly like the idea of making my ds read a bunch of impressive-sounding books, just so he can include them on a reading list that may or may not be required by his college of choice. How many titles need to be on the list? And do colleges really believe that the kids have actually read all of those books? It would seem like many kids would simply lie and hope they weren't asked any specific questions in their interview, or that they would just read the SparkNotes or CliffNotes for a bunch of books and call it a day (or watch a ton of book-based movies and hope the movies were relatively true to the books.)

I think we can talk about two different categories here, maybe 'required' + 'supplementary'?

I wouldn't make my kid read a bunch of impressive sounding books just to include them on a reading list either, but if your kid is an avid reader, why not include a reading list? I don't think the application process is so cut and dry that colleges will necessarily *not* read something that they haven't explicitly required. I thought of it more like an additive process - if there was something I could include to bolster my dd's application, I included it. When I uploaded my packet of information, I put the Transcript front and center, followed by work experience/volunteer experience/awards and honors on one page, course descriptions, and finally, a reading list. I didn't expect that every admissions officer would get through the entire packet, but it was there for them if they wanted to look at it. I was trying to present the most complete academic picture of my daughter possible.

As it happened, she was asked directly about her reading list at one interview (Case Western), and the interviewer also asked her to recommend a book that she had read since submitting her list. A couple of weeks later, dd received a note about the book she had recommended, and it was obvious that the adcom had read the book. Interesting, huh?

I guess my advice to everyone would be, depending on the school in which you are interested, just hitting the 'required' stuff might not be enough. 'Supplementary' test scores, info, and experiences above and beyond those that are *required* can be the difference between getting in or getting waitlisted or rejected... or getting in and getting a scholarship.

ETA: We had good luck with my dd keeping track of what she had read on Goodreads.com . It is like social media, book reviews, commonplace books and a personal 'to read' list had a baby. We love it, and your friends can see what you are reading and discuss.

I have put together a collection of homeschool college admissions requirements that has about 60 schools on it, many of them more selective schools that tend to want more documentation. Requirements can change from year to year, but for planning purposes this should give you a quick idea of the range of requirements without wasting a lot of time hunting on different websites. In addition to the other things mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a few schools that would like to see a graded English paper so you don't want to get rid of all of the student's work.

I have put together a collection of homeschool college admissions requirements that has about 60 schools on it, many of them more selective schools that tend to want more documentation. Requirements can change from year to year, but for planning purposes this should give you a quick idea of the range of requirements without wasting a lot of time hunting on different websites. 

This is a great resource. Thanks for sharing it.  :)

I have been trying to keep a book list, because I think it's been an important discipline for dh and I to keep a multi-year listing of what we read.  DH has especially used it when he found that the demands of work had led him to slack off in his reading.  And he's found it useful when he's wanted to recommend a book to someone else, but can't remember the exact details of title and author.  His list is no more complicated than a computer document where he lists title, author and date read.  He might add a little comment, like that he'd read it on vacation in the area the book is set.  But he's not doing long reviews. 

I don't think that you should read just to make up an impressive booklist. 

I do think that as the director of our homeschool a booklist can help me balance course descriptions across all of our reading.  For example, we assigned Uncle Tom's Cabin, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Red Badge of Courage, All Quiet on the Western Front, Diary of Anne Frank, MiG Pilot, and several other books in our history study last year.  But several of those would fit just as easily in English.  I've seen other posters mention keeping a list of books read and not assigning them to specific courses until the end of the year, when they had a better feel for how to balance them amongst the subjects covered.

What an admissions counselor or interviewer chooses to believe or not believe isn't in my hands anyway.

Two of the colleges to which my child applied (out of ten) asked to see a portfolio of high school work which she submitted in addition to other documentation. Some of the things she included:

graded papers from outside classes
a quiz and lab report from a community college science class
Latin translation assignment from her AP Latin class
a picture of a page from a Latin picture book that she wrote and illustrated
photos of a couple of art pieces with the ribbons they won in the County fair

I'd recommend keeping ALL papers (I refer to essays, research papers, etc.) as well as lab notebooks and a sprinkling of your child's best work from a variety of subjects; one of my daughter's 11th grade essays became fodder for her college application essay.

Regards,
Kareni

All of the college my girls applied to only wanted a transcript, ACT or SAT scores, and (a few only) an essay. That is good, because I kept nothing. THe NCAA required more (and has since last year has made it even more difficult), but it wasn't that difficult to pull together. Oh, and a couple of schools needed a recommendation letter!

All we needed was an ACT score and a transcript (and an essay specifically written for admissions).

We had a semi-full book list (didn't get everything), but figured if we lost it we could always re create it by just looking over some booklists and remembering what the kids had read.

But -- if I were in your shoes, I might hang on to things that you already have until after the student is admitted. Because admissions policies might change in the next few years. Or you might end up with a student applying to an odd school that wants stuff.

I didn't really have this dilemma because my kids didn't really produce all that much work -- and all their writing was done on the computer, so as long as we backed up everything on the computer we would have it.

You won't need to list work (even performances) from before the high school years (possibly excepting something truly extraordinary). But even then, it doesn't matter how impressive a child is at twelve if they aren't still achieving something at sixteen!

We didn't keep a list, because I figured we could generate it if needed.

When I made my transcripts, I included a second page with a brief description of our approach in every subject—just three lines or so. I think this may have been required by one of the schools, but not by the others.