Menu

Anyone else change their plans for next school year?

I have in regards to one child, and one subject. But the rest is pretty steady. If I were rethinking more than one I think I'd be losing it right now! lol! Thankfully we've found things we like and are just moving up in most of them. Sometimes having so many great choices out there is not in our favor...

What are you trying to decide?

History for one. Do I follow CC cycle 2 even though we have done middle ages two years ago. Or do I move on to studying modern age. I keep going back and forth. Then there is this teaching the six year old this whole reading thing. We tried Dancing Bears A, Hooked on Phonics, AAR and PAL. He just seems to be moving so S....L...O....W....L....Y. Thinking of buying Foundations A and B for him.

I've already bought curricula, so I would only be able to tweak the plans. I may have to do so, though. Dh just found out his unemployment only lasts until early August. He is doing web development classes and won't be finished until December. I may have to find another job and get more hours because my job location won't allow more hours right now.

History for one. Do I follow CC cycle 2 even though we have done middle ages two years ago. Or do I move on to studying modern age. I keep going back and forth. Then there is this teaching the six year old this whole reading thing. We tried Dancing Bears A, Hooked on Phonics, AAR and PAL. He just seems to be moving so S....L...O....W....L....Y. Thinking of buying Foundations A and B for him.

Hmm... If your family is all doing CC and you are planning to keep doing it, I would stick to their rotation. Otherwise, you could be off their rotation all the time. It would be a major pain to have one kid off of the rotation all the time.

Some kids just need time to get the reading thing down. My eldest took a bit of time to really find her groove. I used HOP and ETC with mine. I don't have experience with most of the ones you have tried! I'm probably not much help there!

I had everything picked out a year in advance. but when the time came to hit the Submit button, I just couldn't. So many things were just ok this year, and not great. I just knew there had to be something better.

I ended up ditching almost everything, and starting from scratch. So much for my well laid plans.

Once I found what I wanted, though, I knew that my heart knew what we had wasn't right. Now, I am THRILLED and so excited to start our year. I want to hurry the last 2 weeks of our break and get started :D

We homeschool year round, with summer part-timish. It means I already changed science but luckily found a strong replacement. Though we haven't started history yet I can already see we are going to cut that back some. Adding in more for current events, tweaking reading a bit more, but otherwise I think we are OK...so far...well... :huh:

yes and no

Content is still the same, I love the curric choices we made

But how it is implemented is being decided and changed frequently. Next year I think I am going to separate the 2 teens in their learning. For 7 years I have taught them together but ds14 is holding back dd13 and it isn't fair to her. And because I am going to be running a business my schedule has be be adapted from what it has been for this last school year.

I am flipping back and forth between loop schedule, block schedule, workboxes, student planner, online learning, etc.

We are still working on "The 3rd Grade Year" for dd8. However, we decided to drop MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme) math after completing year 3(2nd grade, UK). We are going to replace it with Abeka Arithmetic 3, and supplement it with Beast Academy 3. MEP 3 toward the end was unchallenging and repetitive; there was not enough progression to new materials. We sneaked a peek at MEP 4 and were disappointed that it contained nothing new and that it had even more repetition (place value, estimation, ...).

We never considered Abeka before, but, from the examples we can see Abeka Arithmetic 3 has the most potential... it even covers long division, yay! Beast Academy might be a fun supplement, as my daughter likes comic book/ cartoon characters (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Pokémon, Peanuts, Garfield, etc).

MEP was a fun informative program (until the over-repetition). My dd learned a great deal from it, including an excellent foundation in the metric system.

I have purchased most of next year. I have flip-flopped on how to get it done. I decided I wasn't going to create schedule this year, but instead I decided to try something new- file folders. Well, I am going to use regular school folders with pockets and brads, but same idea. I had the bindings cut off of all the workbooks, printed out CHOLL, and sorted first semester. :)

Now, what I haven't purchased is math... and I can't seem to make up my mind.

Mandy

I prefer to think of it as "fine-tuning"... But since February (when I should have made most purchases) I have changed a few several small things, and one fairly major change for my rising 6th grader (doing LLfLOTR over 2 years). But I have a little fun diversion for him to do first, so we're all good.

It really seems you HAVE to change. Or maybe my life is more variable, I don't know. The kids change, toddler get bigger, family priorities change - I've not yet been able to manage rigidness for any period of time.

Changes here for my DD8:

I was planning to just move up another level with everything following the footsteps of her siblings, but I keep feeling called to mix it up and try something different with her. She wined and complained a lot this year. I think she wasn't being challenged enough, needed more varied activities to engage her, and some motivation.

I haven't bought it yet, but I am 95% sure we will try Moving Beyond the Page age 8-10. She is a strong, avid reader and I think connecting the writing and other assignments will work well. But it is so different from what we've been doing, that I am extreemly nervous!

I have decided to ditch spelling curriculum for my two boys. I have also decided to take the pre-Algebra programs I was going to use for each one and combine them into a hybrid for both of them, also adding in part of yet another program. Never thought I would be the type to be so creative with math...

I am flirting with some history/literature changes, but it would just involve tweaking the program we already have and adding in more classic literature.

I purchased MP's The Middle Ages by Dorothy Mills hoping it would be a great read aloud to supplement our history spine, but now I'm not so sure. I've been reading it, and I'm afraid it will go right over Pippi's head without pulling out maps and defining words, etc...

That is all well and good if it was going to be our history book for the year. I'm thinking it's going to be a great book for me to read. Oh well!

Personally, I NEED time to consider all my options, see how things would work, go back and consider something else ... by the time I order I want to be SURE I have thought of everything. For my 6th grader, I created a spreadsheet with a row for each week, and filled in what I will be covering in each subject during each week. I chose materials that fit well into the year and also built in some flex time. I have been going round & round since early spring, but for the past month I have been pretty settled except for grammar and math. I finally decided to stay with GWG and ordered everything except math yesterday. Then I wrote up a 36-week schedule for history, science & health with daily assignments (easy to do since I already had planned ahead)- I am committed! I am leaving math up in the air for a bit ... we have plenty to work on, and I do have a math program on hand I can use. I am still hoping I can find a middle school math program with a good emphasis on reasoning and problem solving, mastery-based but with a chunk of daily review.

For my kindergartener, I went big on history and science and much more modest on LA and math. I am going to use the stuff I already have until it doesn't work anymore. I am much less concerned about picking the perfect thing because K is such a varied year anyway.

Yes, bought a BIG box curriculum (first time ever) b/c I panicked since we'll have a newborn in the house this fall. It was not at all what I was hoping for. I knew we'd never get it all done and packed it all back up and blew $48 to mail it back. DH said it was $48 well spent if we were going to be miserable doing the curriculum, and he's right. I have now *settled* on Trail Guide to Learning for my 4th grader and we're supposed to start back next week but the TM is on backorder until 8/1. We'll get a grip on math, spelling, and some good reading before it arrives. I also have one starting K this year, so lots of changes but we're all excited!

Guest tintedblack

I changed spelling programs multiple times this year but think I'm finally settled on Spelling Plus for one child and Phonetic Zoo for another.  If everyone had the same learning style it would sure make it easier!  Then again that's part of what makes our home so fun.  I'm settled in sciense and language arts but changing over to Rigth Start for math and Story of the World for history. I think change can be good. 

I was so settled, and then let one thing set off a domino effect of changes.  :banghead:  At least it's mostly moving back to something I have used in the past.

I just cannot make some of my favorite things play nicely together, and am having to pick and choose which ones are the priorities. The whole is more important than the pieces.

I am just SO overwhelmed with the amount of books in my apartment and no matter what, I need to cut down from thirteen bookcases to four. Two bookcases for cookbooks, and two for everything else. Not only am I getting rid of the books, but also the bookcases. I am SO thankful for ebooks and really want to make better use of them. That is one of my MAIN priorities this year.

This is the first year that I'm not flip-flopping, re-thinking, doubting, etc...  (6th year HSing and I'm starting to figure it out LOL.)

The only possible change that might happen is switching ds7's spelling if he starts to flounder with Apples & Pears.  It's a lot of sentence dictation for a little guy, but he's doing well so far.  If I need to switch him, I've got what we'll use on the shelf from use with his big brother.  Even if I do need to switch, I won't be buying and learning a new system.  phew!

Some 6yo's learn to read really REALLY slowly.  If you don't suspect an LD, just be patient.  Move slowly with him, and keep lessons short and sweet.  

I keep changing my plans, ideas, philosophy. ugh. There are many times I wish I could be a box curriculum type person, I think my life would be so much easier! I tend to fall outside of the box when it comes to educational philosophy. I'm constantly reading books on learning trying to figure out what is the best fit for us when all it tends to do is overwhelm me. A lot of what I want to do in our homeschool seems to be very time consuming and is far from do the next worksheet.

My tentative plans for next year are: BraveWriter via The Writers Jungle (still reading this), The Writing Road to Reading for dd5 and ds9, Sequential Spelling for dd13 and ds12, (possibly Spelling from Stevenson Learning for ds12), FLL4 for dd13, Stevenson Learning Grammar for ds12, living grammar for ds9 and dd5, Apologia General Science for dd13 and ds12, The Magic School Bus for science for ds9 and dd5, we will be studying American History but I can't decide if I want to purchuse a curriculum or make my own schedule, MUS for ds9, I haven't decided on math for my older two. Any and all of this can change at any moment during the day.

I think I've changed my mind a dozen times this year especially with spelling. My dd11 struggles with spelling, and we live overseas so I have to buy way ahead of time, so I just bit the bullet and bought a couple different programs (Phonetic Zoo A and Sequential Spelling), and some spelling instruction books (Painless Spelling, The ABC's and All Their Tricks, and Writing Road to Reading). I'm still waiting (impatiently) for them to arrive so I can look through them. At least I know that if something doesn't work, I'll have a back up plan. I bought all of it in April, have to wait for the people to bring it down, and now have to wait to see them so I can get my suitcase! Ahhh!

I also bought both Story of the World (4 volumes) and K12 Human Odyssey (1) and Mystery of History 2 plus the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. We'll see how it works out with the 3rd grader and 6th grader with a toddler in the mix. This year is going to be interesting!

I've pretty well decided on everything except writing and science. I have stuff for science, I just can't get super excited about it. Writing, on the other hand, has thrown me for a loop and I can't decide what to use. I keep changing my mind, but fortunately for my bank account, I haven't bought multiple programs to try and figure it out, and that's new.

Also, I keep adding stuff for history and I really need to stop. It's going to be a full year as it is. 

I just changed Kinder for dd. AAR is a flop here. I dropped the TM from BJU Math. I can't get her to sit and listen to me teach the lesson. She wants to teach it to me! We need more to do like cut and paste, coloring. No idea what, though.

Yes.

I had math and English for DD, she will go at her own pace. Then I bought A Beka 4th grade history, science, health, reading, and spelling all for $10, made a reading schedule for her, and considered her "done".

Now I'm re-thinking all of it, even the math and English.

For oldest DS, I still don't have a solid plan. He's enrolled in a co-op. That's a big deal for us. He will also join Boy Scouts, which will be new. But as far as what *I'm* going to do with him?? I'm still undecided.

My second DS is good to go. He will do MFW 1st grade, 1st edition. I can teach that curriculum in my sleep, as it will be my third time. I am planning to go all out with it this time. We moved both times I did first grade, and let the acivities fall by the wayside. This year while his brother is at co-op, I will have three hours I am devoting to the first grade hands-on stuff. DD will join in and enjoy it. Hopefully the baby will nap.