Menu

Laundry detergent and toilet paper

Oakblossoms

You could figure out how much you'll need in a year and buy a year's worth and be done with it, either online with free shipping or a single trip out to Costco.

I make homemade laundry detergent--the ingredients are available at most grocery stores and I only need a tablespoon or two per load. (Mine is baking soda, washing soda, borax, grated bar soap, and a little bit of OxiClean.) I make a few months' worth at a time. It's easy to store in a small space because you only need such a small amount per load.

Just made our first batch and love it. Dh estimates it about a penny a load.

I'd do a year's supply and be done with it.

The homemade detergent didn't work for me because our water is so hard. It seems that it doesn't work as well in hard water.

This is good to know. I have always wanted to try making my own detergent and always wondered how well it would work. Our water has so many minerals that sometimes I think it is a solid!

Our nearest Costco is a little over an hour away and I usually go every couple of weeks. However, where I live almost everything is a little over an hour away so I am used to the drive.

I ordered about $25 in laundry detergent ingredients from some online site. I got two tubs of oxyclean, two boxes of borax, and three boxes of washing soda. I get the laundry soap bar at my grocery store. That was three years ago and I'm just getting low. I think I can make one or two more batches.

I do the food processor method for dry laundry detergent where you microwave the soap (to dry it out) then put it in the cuisinart with the other ingredients until they're all a fine powder. I use two tablespoons (one offer scoop) per load, but I have a top loader and my water isn't hard, so the combination works for me.

While I'm happy to make laundry soap, I refuse to even think about the whole 'family cloth' thing. The Scott tissue does seem to last longer than everything else, buti have to get the 'soft' version or people freak out over here.

I order detergent from Sear's when it is on sale and has free shipping. I think I end up paying about 4-5 cents a load, and I buy a year's worth at a time. Love it!! I find the deals on slickdeals. I posted the details of the last time I bought it here somewhere if you are good with Search. (I'm not, or I'd link you!)

You might try Charlie's Soap Laundry Powder. Amazon sells it. It is not as cheap as some, but it meets all of my criteria and price goes down if you buy more. I friend of mine gave me some to try, and I now split a big bucket three ways with friends several times a year.

I used to make my own gel, but I found that it didn't remove odors the way I liked unless I put in a squirt of Dr. Bronner's every time. Charlie's works well even with the really stinky loads, and I don't have to haul pots and buckets to mix my own.

YMMV....

I can't stand homemade laundry detergent, I've tried several times, but our towels always stink. I buy the Wind Fresh at Sam's, it's about .07/load. There's liquid advertised around here on craigslist that is supposed to be similar to Tide, it's 600 loads for $30, but I haven't tried it. One thing I like to do is when I buy larger quantities, write the date on it so I know how long it lasts.