Menu

POLL! Which Smartphone to buy and why/why not?

sheryl

"IF" I get a smart phone, which one when you recommend and why/why not?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system?

2. 2. Which brand for Android?

I currently have the latest model Android "Droid" phone. It's OK. I'd like to use my phone to take pictures on the go and the Android does a poor job of it. DD has an iphone and the quality of photo is terrific. I cannot use my phone to download audio book from the library either. Last, the app choice on the android is getting better but not as good as the iphone. My next phone will be an iphone.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have the latest model Android "Droid" phone.

This doesn't mean anything. "Droid" was/is a Verizon marketing label and applied to more than one phone and manufacturer.

Do you mean one of the Droid RAZR phones (RAZR, RAZR Maxx, RAZR HD, RAZR HD Maxx) from Motorola? ETA: Or maybe an HTC Droid DNA?

I cannot use my phone to download audio book from the library either.

This is going to depend on the system your library uses. It's always a good idea to check before purchasing.

I have a Mac, and was more than happy to move all my music over to Google Play - it was free and painless. And I'm happy never to have to deal with iTunes again. If you have a large investment in video on iTunes, your choices are limited and somewhat extra-legal if you wish to view on an Android device.

As far as syncing, everything I have exists or is backed up to and accessible from "the cloud" now. Google contacts, GMail, Google Drive and Dropbox, Google Calendar, most of which I used on my Mac pre-smartphone. I can access these from any platform I wish. Most vendors except Apple (and Amazon's instant video... they're being jerks about not offering an Android app) make it easy for you to view your purchased products on any platform.

Huh, I dunno :) what some of these things are. Cloud: isn't that cyberspace storage for files? Like books, etc? Can you rephrase the 2nd paragraph? I think I need a smartphone glossary. LOL!

I have an iPhone4 and dh has an LG Commando (android). Dh prefers my phone for most things since its easier to use, but uses his phone for the compass, stargazer app and others outdoorsy type apps since its ruggedized.

Compass? Sounds neat, but I like that sort of thing. Stargazer is what exactly? My dh had an amazingly bright "flashlight" on the back of his phone. It actually was very handy.

Love my iPhone. I just upgraded to a 5.

I don't think anyone has mentioned iMessaging, which is free texting, across Apple devices. And the FaceTime is so much easier than Skype! My 21 mo nephew routinely gets ahold of my brother's iPad and calls my dad on FaceTime, lol.

IMessaging sounds neat, but I forgot to mention that we are windows users. We have pc's and not Apples for our computers.

I don't have a smartphone because I can't justify paying for a data plan. I do have a Kindle Fire ($139 refurbished on sale) and I take that with me if I know I have to kill a lot of time and want to browse. Starbucks and most fast food places have free wifi. I have a cheapie dumb phone to make calls and receive texts. I'm planning to upgrade to a Kindle Fire with a data plan when they go on sale or the price drops. I'll use a VOIP to make calls and pass the dumb phone and the old Kindle onto the kids.

We have apple computers and iPods and got iPhones via my husband's work for very little. They are as advertised and do what we need and want. That said, I kinda miss my Android HTC built T-mobile phone (before the iPhone all my smart phones were my technophile brother's castoffs and I had a blackberry and then a TMobile MySlide built by HTC.)

I am not gung ho on staying with with an iPhone. Despite being a pretty reliable Apple customer, I am not at all a gadget head or in search of the the latest and greatest. My next laptop is unlikely to be a mac purchase (we've had a string of iBook and Mac Book lemons) and we have a google Nexus tablet already for our son with Autism.

I don't have a smartphone because I can't justify paying for a data plan. I do have a Kindle Fire ($139 refurbished on sale) and I take that with me if I know I have to kill a lot of time and want to browse. Starbucks and most fast food places have free wifi. I have a cheapie dumb phone to make calls and receive texts. I'm planning to upgrade to a Kindle Fire with a data plan when they go on sale or the price drops. I'll use a VOIP to make calls and pass the dumb phone and the old Kindle onto the kids.

I swore I was not going to get a smartphone just b/c nearly everyone else seemingly has one. It's not definite I'm getting one for that reason. BUT, I'm weighing the pros and cons. I'm not one to be "married" to my mobile phone. But, we found out we can sign up with the least amt. 2 G of "data sharing" and our plan will be stretched a bit. Is the Note an actual phone too?

We have apple computers and iPods and got iPhones via my husband's work for very little. They are as advertised and do what we need and want. That said, I kinda miss my Android HTC built T-mobile phone (before the iPhone all my smart phones were my technophile brother's castoffs and I had a blackberry and then a TMobile MySlide built by HTC.)

I am not gung ho on staying with with an iPhone. Despite being a pretty reliable Apple customer, I am not at all a gadget head or in search of the the latest and greatest. My next laptop is unlikely to be a mac purchase (we've had a string of iBook and Mac Book lemons) and we have a google Nexus tablet already for our son with Autism.

Thanks! Appreciate your input!

Thanks! I do like the looks of this. What are the dimensions?

The main screen size is 5.6" so it's big. But now that I've gotten used to it, whenever I see anyone with a regular sized phone I wonder how they can function ;) It does take some getting used to but you can adjust settings so that you can type with one hand, etc.

My last two droid phones were HTC phones. I love to sync my phone with MS Outlook calendar and contacts.

What are more things people try to sync with their smartph?

I sync my phone to have my contacts, calendar, and photos move back and forth. I also sync music every now and then.

IMessaging sounds neat, but I forgot to mention that we are windows users. We have pc's and not Apples for our computers.

So do we, but we can text between iPhones/iPads/iPods. And with others that have those devices, not just the ones in our home. I have several friends and extended family members with Apple devices and I can iMessage with them all for free :).

The main screen size is 5.6" so it's big. But now that I've gotten used to it, whenever I see anyone with a regular sized phone I wonder how they can function ;) It does take some getting used to but you can adjust settings so that you can type with one hand, etc.

You know my dh's new smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy 3 and I think it's nearly that size. It's a little bit bigger, but I don't think it's too much for what you gain in features. Thanks. I'd like to at least look at one in person!

I sync my phone to have my contacts, calendar, and photos move back and forth. I also sync music every now and then.

Move back and forth? How?

I just have to add that the camera quality has nothing to do with Android. It's down to the actual phone you get, you just need to read the description properly and see what you are actually getting. There are plenty of non apple phones with better cameras than the iphone you just have to comare the specs.

My iPhone 5 has a compass. Under "Utilities."

That's good to know - we do go hiking now and then. Flashlight?

I HATED my iPhone and recently returned to an Android operating system. I actually have a Droid Razr M.

Thanks for your input.

I just have to add that the camera quality has nothing to do with Android. It's down to the actual phone you get, you just need to read the description properly and see what you are actually getting. There are plenty of non apple phones with better cameras than the iphone you just have to comare the specs.

This is sound advice. I do believe this applies to phones and maybe even other products as well. There are usually low, mid, high-priced models for all brands. Good advice!

Here's the link to the Samsung Note: http://www.samsung.c....html?type=find

It's a beautiful thing :) In fact, I use it more than my computer now.

Great description!

Georgiana, I watched the link you gave me and I REALLY LIKE the NOTE! Now, I need to determine if this is what I "need" more than, say, an Android Samsung Galaxy phone. Nice!!!! Does it have the new magnification with swiping?

I would wait for the Note 3! It will be even better.

Dawn

Georgiana, I watched the link you gave me and I REALLY LIKE the NOTE! Now, I need to determine if this is what I "need" more than, say, an Android Samsung Galaxy phone. Nice!!!! Does it have the new magnification with swiping?

I love my Windows Nokia Lumina. Other operating systems annoyed me. I know, I'm weird. ðŸ˜

When ATT was our carrier, we had a Nokia and really liked it. That was 15 years ago! We'll be weird together LOL!

I would wait for the Note 3! It will be even better.

Dawn

Well, Note 2 is $200. That's expensive for me. Note 3 would be more expensive, right? I'm debating b/t a Note and Galaxy 3 or 4 - just the better priced one either b/t Note and Galaxy. I really appreciate everyone's input. It's helped tremendously!

Does a Windows phone use apps like an Android? Where do you get apps?

yes. From the Windows store. They don't have as many apps as apple and android. But I have yet to find and app that I can't live without anyway. I'm very practical with my apps. 😉 The phone has a lot of great built in features for the basics like email, photo management/sync, calendar syncing, social media, etc.

This doesn't mean anything. "Droid" was/is a Verizon marketing label and applied to more than one phone and manufacturer.

Do you mean one of the Droid RAZR phones (RAZR, RAZR Maxx, RAZR HD, RAZR HD Maxx) from Motorola? ETA: Or maybe an HTC Droid DNA?

This is going to depend on the system your library uses. It's always a good idea to check before purchasing.

I don't know what version of Droid phone I own, and frankly I could care less. It is the Android system that I find limiting. My library doesn't support the Android operating system regardless of phone model.

I don't know what version of Droid phone I own, and frankly I could care less. It is the Android system that I find limiting. My library doesn't support the Android operating system regardless of phone model.

Like your local public library? Then your beef really is with them. My understanding is that Androids are mostly out selling iphones, a public library needs to support both.

Well I had to vote Apple and Other since the second question doesn't really pertain to Apple products lol...

I'm all for Apple products. ... Apple products are a little more sturdy....

I totally agree and had to vote Other for the same reason. I'm extremely happy with my iPhone and MacBook combination. Not only do I prefer the quality and longevity of Apple/Mac products, but I love how they sync together so beautifully. I especially love the quality of the iPhone camera and the way it works with iPhoto. Smooth process and great pictures!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Pawz4me, thanks. Yes, it would probably drain it, but it would be nice to have "if needed". Candid, y'all are talking about "real" brick and mortar libraries? OK, I thought you were talking windows directories on the pc - libraries (don't like the name used here). How do you use libraries on your smartph? Can you use kindle or the other? on your smartph?

Well, you'd also made complaint about the camera, so which phone you have is relevant. :)

Which audiobook service does your library use? Our library uses the 3M Cloud Library (ebooks) and Overdrive/Library2Go (ebooks and audiobooks). Both support iOS and Android, PC and Mac. Library2Go also supports Blackberry and Windows Phone.

How do you use libraries on your smartph? Can you use kindle or the other? on your smartph?

Yes, there's a Kindle app. And I believe a Nook app, too.

Being a long-term Kindle e-reader user I didn't think I'd like reading on my phone at all. But it's really not bad. Works great for filling in time waiting for appointments, waiting for the kids at sports practices, etc.

nmoira and paw4me, thanks for these replies to others b/c it's showing me a bigger picture. I don't get out and about enough LOL! seriously. this is transitioning, for me, into another issue of NEVER having time to read anything "for me" b/c i'm busy with my dd's homeschooling (she's slight s.n. although she's showing great improvement and i'm hoping now that she's a rising 9th grader she may be able to be a tad more independent and I may be freed up to read, etc. more). all of that to say I don't even go to the library and know about these things b/c of time restraints. y'all are knowledgeable!!!! :)

Is there a place I can view the apps available for android phones (specifically for Samsung Galaxy)? I know all about the ones for Apples.

Go to the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store

Almost all non-game apps will run on most devices (ETA and all new ones) (requirements are noted; any phone you'll get will be running at least Android 4.1). Some games are tablet only and some require beefy hardware, but most don't.

Good question! If it does, I haven't used it. LOL! I know this unit does tricks I haven't come close to uncovering yet. I'm still a little old school ;)

When ATT was our carrier, we had a Nokia and really liked it. That was 15 years ago! We'll be weird together LOL!

Well, Note 2 is $200. That's expensive for me. Note 3 would be more expensive, right? I'm debating b/t a Note and Galaxy 3 or 4 - just the better priced one either b/t Note and Galaxy. I really appreciate everyone's input. It's helped tremendously!

Where did you see a note for $200? Was that with a 2year contract, because I haven't seen a note for under $500? I did see a galaxy s2 for $300, but the notes were way more expensive.

And I noticed yesterday while researching android operating systems, that the newest version (jellybean) doesn't support adobe flash.

I love my Windows Nokia Lumina. Other operating systems annoyed me. I know, I'm weird. ðŸ˜

My last phone was a Windows Nokia Lumia and loved it. It was very easy to figure out, and looks nice. There are fewer apps available, but still enough for what I needed.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy SII (Android) and I like it ok. It does have a lot more apps available, but I am still trying to figure out how to use everything. There's also a bunch of stuff installed on there that you can't get rid of.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy SII (Android) and I like it ok. It does have a lot more apps available, but I am still trying to figure out how to use everything. There's also a bunch of stuff installed on there that you can't get rid of.

And S2 or an S3? I'm not sure what version of Android the S2 is running, but in 4.x and up you can disable most bloatware apps (not necessarily delete from the phone, but they won't run in the background and they won't show up in your apps tray).

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/how-to-disable-unwanted-system-apps-and-bloatware-from-your-android-phone-android-4-0-and-up/

And S2 or an S3? I'm not sure what version of Android the S2 is running, but in 4.x and up you can disable most bloatware apps (not necessarily delete from the phone, but they won't run in the background and they won't show up in your apps tray).

http://www.talkandro...oid-4-0-and-up/

It's an S2 and it is Android version 4.0.4. I will check that out, thanks!!!

Where did you see a note for $200? Was that with a 2year contract, because I haven't seen a note for under $500? I did see a galaxy s2 for $300, but the notes were way more expensive.

And I noticed yesterday while researching android operating systems, that the newest version (jellybean) doesn't support adobe flash.

Yes, that is with a 2 year contract. But, that's ok with us b/c we've had our current carrier for 10-15 years with no plans of moving. Best Buy.

http://www.talkandro...oid-4-0-and-up/

This is true. My dh just had to buy his first smartph. He did not want weather "running" constantly as it "uses data" according to Vz. They said it updates every 6 hours and it uses very little data useage. But, if there are "many" apps that run in the background like that, it's anyone's guess how much data it would use.

Is there a place I can view the apps available for android phones (specifically for Samsung Galaxy)? I know all about the ones for Apples.

Go to the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store

Almost all non-game apps will run on most devices (ETA and all new ones) (requirements are noted; any phone you'll get will be running at least Android 4.1). Some games are tablet only and some require beefy hardware, but most don't.

Here's the Amazon App store link: http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=sa_menu_adr_app?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

There are some apps that run on most platforms, but in other cases there are different apps on each platform for some specific function.

Although I love the Amazon program, and do buy from them. I also pay attention to where I get my apps. The Google play store allows you to set apps to automatically update which is a nice feature. Amazon, you have to check for app updates. Also, Amazon tends to get updates later than the Play store does. So I choose which to buy from selectively.

Pawz4me, thanks. Yes, it would probably drain it, but it would be nice to have "if needed". Candid, y'all are talking about "real" brick and mortar libraries? OK, I thought you were talking windows directories on the pc - libraries (don't like the name used here). How do you use libraries on your smartph? Can you use kindle or the other? on your smartph?

Well, you'd also made complaint about the camera, so which phone you have is relevant. :)

Which audiobook service does your library use? Our library uses the 3M Cloud Library (ebooks) and Overdrive/Library2Go (ebooks and audiobooks). Both support iOS and Android, PC and Mac. Library2Go also supports Blackberry and Windows Phone.

Yes, there's a Kindle app. And I believe a Nook app, too.

Being a long-term Kindle e-reader user I didn't think I'd like reading on my phone at all. But it's really not bad. Works great for filling in time waiting for appointments, waiting for the kids at sports practices, etc.

I'm thinking that others have answered your question about libraries and Android, but if they didn't will try to answer.

I don't get any apps from Amazon. I don't like the lack of automatic updating our the "check-in" requirement some apps have. I also refuse to support their store given that they have not released an instant video app for Android, which is ridiculous given that the Kindle Fires run in a forked version of Android. I pay for Prime, but they see for to restrict viewing on this single platform. I just see them taking and not giving back to the Android community at all.

I don't get any apps from Amazon. I don't like the lack of automatic updating our the "check-in" requirement some apps have. I also refuse to support their store given that they have not released an instant video app for Android, which is ridiculous given that the Kindle Fires run in a forked version of Android. I pay for Prime, but they see for to restrict viewing on this single platform. I just see them taking and not giving back to the Android community at all.

This is one reason our tablets are not Fires. For us the App store makes more sense because we can use both it and Google Play.

I have a Samsung S3 and have been very happy with it, although whenever I see someone pull out their iPhone I second guess myself.

I went with an Android phone because I wanted to be able to sync things with my laptop or desktop and it's my understanding that you can't do that iPhone to PC. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If I had a Mac I would have gone with the iPhone.

You can sync an Apple device to Windows. All you need is iTunes and then an iCloud control panel to automatically sync calendars, contacts, and bookmarks.

I have an iPhone 5 and love it. We are an all Apple family at this point. I was converted by the original iPad and then took to it just working.

Not necessarily. What typically happens is that the new one then becomes $200 and the old version drops significantly.

Right now the Galaxy S4 is $200 but the S3 is only $19 (with a new 2 year contract.)