Menu

A wedding invitation question

Mango

The invitation to my nephew's wedding has arrived.

The invitation starts the usual way with the Bride's parents listed and them inviting folk to the marriage of their daughter to my nephew.

Absolutely no mention of my nephew's parents on the invitation anywhere. Just the nephew's name and that's it.

Is that odd?

The RSVP says, "The bride's parents request and RSVP by July 6th."

Again, nothing about my bil and sil.

Is that odd? Or am I just reading into things.

Thanks.

generally the grooms parents are also mentioned. occasionally if the groom is well established in his own right, he may stand alone, but if so then the bride is usually also well established and her parents aren't mentioned either.

As I recall from wedding invitations in my childhood, the bride's parents were often the only ones mentioned on the invitation. It was presumed--rightly or wrongly-- that the bride's parents were hosting the wedding.

In the last ten years or so, most of the invitations that I've received include both parents, but that may vary by region and tradition.

Maybe your nephew will have mil-zilla. Maybe since the bride's parents are hosting/paying, they are putting only their names on the invites. Generally, I think the traditional way would be to mention that your nephew is the son of so & so. Maybe the bride's family doesn't like traditional stuff, maybe the in-laws don't like each other (already), maybe it was an omission w/out any bad intent behind it, maybe someone at the invite printing place told them this was the newest trend/fad in ways to word invites, etc.... Who knows?

So, yes, perhaps a bit unusual, but I wouldn't necessarily see it as a big deal.

I might be a bit mind-numb... but I distinctly recall back when I was planning my wedding 26 years ago the store's invitation catalog had oodles of BOTH parent's names for the bride and groom listed on the invite. Weird thing for my wedding, my in-laws paid for my wedding. But I listed both my parent and my in-laws on the invite.

We recently attended a wedding that did not list the groom's parents. We knew the bride's parents were footing the bill. Long story, short... the bride's parents ran out of $$$ and thankfully the groom's parents volunteered to pay for 1/2 of the wedding. Still, the groom's parents were not listed on the invite as it was mailed out weeks before. But the groom's parents were classy about it.

My ILs live overseas and couldn't even attend our wedding...and I still put their names on the invitations.

My parents were the hosts, but dh's name was presented as "son of ILs". Even though no one receiving the invitations knew of or ever met them, it just seemed the respectful thing to do, and appropriate to "identify" dh.

That said, etiquette-wise, if the brides parents are hosting, I suppose they are under no obligation to name the ILs.

when in doubt, i think of "My Big Fat Green Wedding", where the groom's parents' names were on the invitation, but dear mom was listed as "Harry" instead of "Harriet".... the parents handled it with good grace.....

odds are, dear nephew just agreed to what he was shown rather than thinking about it. it could say several things about the bride and/or her parents.... or they could be simply clueless.... are the bride and groom young?

we've always listed all the inlaws and outlaws, but i know others who've made a different choice.

enjoy!

ann

Of course people can put whatever they damn please on their invitations.

I would think that goes without saying.

But I also would not "read" anything into who is or isn't on an invitation.

My parents weren't named on our wedding invitation...and my future ILs invitees came up with all sorts of wild scenarios about why they weren't on there. They missed the simplest one...my parents were dead.

My dad and stepmother hosted the wedding. They paid for everything. My invitation read:

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe

Request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter...

There are other wordings that include both the bride's parents and the groom's parents' names, but the "traditional" invitation wording indicates the hosts of the event. The RSVP cards were addressed to them, they planned it, it was their shindig.

http://www.emilypost.com/weddings/wedding-invitations-and-announcements/335-wording-formal-wedding-invitations

The invitation to my nephew's wedding has arrived.

The invitation starts the usual way with the Bride's parents listed and them inviting folk to the marriage of their daughter to my nephew.

Absolutely no mention of my nephew's parents on the invitation anywhere. Just the nephew's name and that's it.

Is that odd?

The RSVP says, "The bride's parents request and RSVP by July 6th."

Again, nothing about my bil and sil.

Is that odd? Or am I just reading into things.

Thanks.

No, it isn't odd. The bride's parents (if the bride is young and/or still living at home) are considered to be the hosts of the wedding, and so they are inviting people.

ETA: wait...surely, the invitation doesn't say "the bride's parents request and RSVP..." Surely, it is "an." Please say it is so.

My wedding invitation read that same way (we got married 20 years ago). As I recall, my mom and I just sort of randomly picked one out of a book. I know I didn't spend much time, if any at all, focusing on wording. It was just the traditional, standard way. I got married when I was 20, and I was definitely the first of my friends to get married, so I had not noticed other invitations and didn't really have any in mind to compare.

That said, my in-laws (parents and siblings!) threw an absolute conniption fit that dh's parents were not listed on the invitation. I was mortified that I had offended them, especially since I had NO idea that invitation wording was a big deal. I honestly thought I was just following tradition! Although now that I know them better, they are all experts at taking offense where none is intended, so I am quite sure they would have chosen to be offended at some other thing if I had listed them.

Please do not read anything into this, and instead give the benefit of the doubt!