Menu

Any runners carry a gun while they jog?

Mandylubug

I don't want a gun debate. I believe in the right to carry and I believe in self protection when needed. If you carry a gun while you jog, do you have a preferred holster for jogging, etc. How do you carry your license on you while you jog as well?

http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321470134895

This holster is specifically made for running, jogging, and biking. No help on carrying a license, my state doesn't require that.

I would add that you should do some practice at the range running, stopping, unholstering, and firing. It's a lot different then standing still, having time, and calmly firing. Your aim will be different.

http://www.pistolwea...ia1321470134895

This holster is specifically made for running, jogging, and biking. No help on carrying a license, my state doesn't require that.

I would add that you should do some practice at the range running, stopping, unholstering, and firing. It's a lot different then standing still, having time, and calmly firing. You aim will be different.

gosh, I pray I never have to use it but I do understand it is different from calmly shooting.

I'd be in the group that would shoot myself in the foot if I carried a gun while jogging. Shoot, I can't even carry a water bottle. I always have to make my laps take me back to my water filling station.

But as for carrying the permit, I saw a cute running top with a pocket on the front that is just made for carrying things. I plan to buy one so that I can carry my phone with me, and maybe a few dog treats.

I have a small .380 Ruger that fits neatly in my pocket that I carry often when jogging. It has a safety and a slide that puts a bullet in the chamber. Very simple design, very easy to fire, but safe enough with the slide that I don't fear my children accidentally putting a bullet in the chamber. I also keep it in my purse. Carrying a pistol makes me very conscious of where my purse is at all times. I lock it in my car often, rather than carry it into friends homes.

Husband does. Not sure of the holster. I believe it's just his regular glock duty holster though. I carry pepper spray, which I bought at the gun store and it looks like a lipstick.

I'll be watching this thread because there have been several cougar sightings this month on my street.

No. Not only is it impossible to get a conceal carry permit in my state, I don't feel it's the best/safest option for me while I run. I usually have kids with me. Also, the only handgun I own is far too heavy for such shenanigans, nevermind the fact that I could never actually conceal it under my running clothes. :tongue_smilie:

I *do* carry pepper spray and usually run with my dog (60+ lb pit bull). I think this is a better and safer option for running. I wear compression shorts or pants that have a "key pocket" and I put my car key in that if I don't have my jogging stroller.

I wouldn't say I feel unsafe but I am aware of the potential issues. I run many times alone or with my kids. My husband is typically at work or asleep when I go. We live 30 minutes out from town and no police/Sherriff deputies for miles around. There are two trucks that seem to frequent my runs every single time I am out. I vary my days and my times and yet they are always passing me and two minutes later passing me again. We do have a gas station just up the highway from the road, so perhaps they live at the gas station all day long. I have no idea. These two drivers always make eye contact with me, break their necks while passing and then watch me from their side mirrors. DH says they are probably just "checking me out" but come on, I am sweating and nasty looking. I wear typically a regular tshirt with shorts or compression capris.. I am not flaunting anything, etc... I run conservatively. It is probably innocent and I am just paranoid, though. I do try to recognize our neighbors and wave as I run past. We have been wanting to get a hand gun for our trail runs and outings when we visit the mountains and in more deserted areas as well.

No. Not only is it impossible to get a conceal carry permit in my state, I don't feel it's the best/safest option for me while I run. I usually have kids with me. Also, the only handgun I own is far too heavy for such shenanigans, nevermind the fact that I could never actually conceal it under my running clothes. :tongue_smilie:

I *do* carry pepper spray and usually run with my dog (60+ lb pit bull). I think this is a better and safer option for running. I wear compression shorts or pants that have a "key pocket" and I put my car key in that if I don't have my jogging stroller.

Maybe I should get me a dog to jog with. But we don't have a fenced back yard and our county is VERY strict on leash laws here. I personally myself hate free roaming dogs that try to eat my kitty cat! I suppose I could get a puppy and then the dog would be used to my cat and not attack her. eta: and sorry, my enter button isn't working again today :/ anyway eta: I know it wouldn't be well concealed under my clothing either... wish I could just go tomb raider style and just strap it to my thigh and away I go ;) (not really but DH would like it)

I'd be in the group that would shoot myself in the foot if I carried a gun while jogging. Shoot, I can't even carry a water bottle. I always have to make my laps take me back to my water filling station.

But as for carrying the permit, I saw a cute running top with a pocket on the front that is just made for carrying things. I plan to buy one so that I can carry my phone with me, and maybe a few dog treats.

ha ha. I would so wash them if they were in a pocket. I currently strap my phone to my arm and head out the door. I don't carry a water bottle either. I like my hands free.

Can you slide the permit in your phone arm band? I just applied to renew my permit. I got bit a couple years ago riding my bike when I was doing 18 mph trying to outrun the blasted dog. I carry pepper spray now, but if its me or the dog, I'm picking me from now on. I live in the country and loose and aggressive dogs are rampant.

I wouldn't say I feel unsafe but I am aware of the potential issues. I run many times alone or with my kids. My husband is typically at work or asleep when I go. We live 30 minutes out from town and no police/Sherriff deputies for miles around. There are two trucks that seem to frequent my runs every single time I am out. I vary my days and my times and yet they are always passing me and two minutes later passing me again. We do have a gas station just up the highway from the road, so perhaps they live at the gas station all day long. I have no idea. These two drivers always make eye contact with me, break their necks while passing and then watch me from their side mirrors. DH says they are probably just "checking me out" but come on, I am sweating and nasty looking. I wear typically a regular tshirt with shorts or compression capris.. I am not flaunting anything, etc... I run conservatively. It is probably innocent and I am just paranoid, though. I do try to recognize our neighbors and wave as I run past. We have been wanting to get a hand gun for our trail runs and outings when we visit the mountains and in more deserted areas as well.

I don't run or carry (so no idea why I opened this thread!). But this would kind of freak me out. I don't think you're paranoid. If they drive past you multiple times.....that is weird.

Nope. If the area I lived in was so dangerous that I couldn't even go for a jog safely without carrying a loaded gun, I'd either find a different way to work out or move.

Bad things happen in "safe" areas too. And the OP specifically asked that this not turn into a gun debate.

Nope. If the area I lived in was so dangerous that I couldn't even go for a jog safely without carrying a loaded gun, I'd either find a different way to work out or move.

we live in a very safe, rural area. I have never encountered anything bad here or crime but that doesn't mean it isn't possible, either.

I hope you find a solution. As for those recommending pepper spray, if you go that route, please buy a canister and practice first. I used to carry it for a dog that was aggressive towards me and my dog. When the dog (an akita, no less) actually attacked my dog, I pulled out my handy dandy pepper spray and found it didn't have quite the powerful stream I'd expected. It fizzled, and unless I could have sprayed it on my hands and wiped it onto the dog's eyes--and getting pepper spray into someone's eyes is a lot harder than you would think, even under the best circumstances--it wasn't going to do any good. Pepper spray does not work over much of a distance, and it doesn't work on someone with sunglasses or a hat over his eyes. And it doesn't work on a dog who has his side or back to you because he's trying to eat the face off of your sweet golden retriever. (I eventually did get them separated, and my dog was bloodied but okay, no thanks to the pepper spray.) If you feel threatened, I would feel safer with a gun. There has to be some kind of holster that will hold it snugly to your back, maybe? That's just what would seem most comfortable to me.

Guest inoubliable

Perhaps I'm not all that bright after all.... could someone explain to me how possible it is that the right circumstances (bobcat seen coming at you from a distance, assailant approaching you from a distance) while jogging would allow you to reach into a tight space - because I'm assuming the holster would need to be in a spot close to your body as you're running - unholster it, turn off the safety, aim, and fire? How much time would all that take? What are the odds that you'd *see* what you want to shoot at, and have the time to make that decision, before you were attacked?

Perhaps I'm not all that bright after all.... could someone explain to me how possible it is that the right circumstances (bobcat seen coming at you from a distance, assailant approaching you from a distance) while jogging would allow you to reach into a tight space - because I'm assuming the holster would need to be in a spot close to your body as you're running - unholster it, turn off the safety, aim, and fire? How much time would all that take? What are the odds that you'd *see* what you want to shoot at, and have the time to make that decision, before you were attacked?

While not impossible, it would be tricky at best. I'd not jog with a gun, I'd end up shooting my foot off. As for pepper spray, unless you practice using it a few times don't expect it to work right when needed.

Guest inoubliable

While not impossible, it would be tricky at best. I'd not jog with a gun, I'd end up shooting my foot off. As for pepper spray, unless you practice using it a few times don't expect it to work right when needed.

Aye. I'd be nervous about the chances of being able to pull that off being slimmer than I am comfortable with. Agreeing on the pepper spray option, too. You'd have to practice that several times to get used to how that works.

Hmm. I guess I'd rethink where I was jogging.

With practice? Not much time at all.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=draw+while+jogging&view=detail&mid=A20466D908EB4AC45D93A20466D908EB4AC45D93&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Guest inoubliable

With practice? Not much time at all.

http://www.bing.com/...t=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Interesting video. Jogging/running (and the associated bouncing, hard breathing) doesn't factor in then? How good was his shot there? Did he hit where he aimed? I get that you could get the movements down quickly enough. Does that matter though if you're in the middle of a run, heart rate elevated, breathing hard, sweat in your face, bouncing along? What are the odds that your attacker would be seen before attacking? If I saw someone I wanted to attack/rape, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let them see me before I struck. KWIM?

Yes, that all factors in. My point is that you need to practice if you're carrying and, if you practice, you can draw, aim, and shoot very quickly. There are tactical ranges for practicing while running. It's very different from standing on a line and firing. If you're planning on carrying while jogging, you need to practice drawing while jogging. Physical activity does not preclude being able to draw and shoot effectively, but you do need to practice for it.

Guest inoubliable

Yes, that all factors in. My point is that you need to practice if you're carrying and, if you practice, you can draw, aim, and shoot very quickly. There are tactical ranges for practicing while running. It's very different from standing on a line and firing. If you're planning on carrying while jogging, you need to practice drawing while jogging. Physical activity does not preclude being able to draw and shoot effectively, but you do need to practice for it.

Point taken. I hope the OP has weighed all of this.

We're talking seconds to draw. In the event of a cougar, just firing a round would likely scare him off. For an attacker...unless he managed to get both hands from behind, I could still draw my gun. It's actually not difficult at all. But yes practice is important!

That's what I was trying to bring up at the top.

Last I checked, spraying pepper spray around was effective against wild cats, too. Or even some sort of other deterrent. I just can't imagine the risk of shooting myself accidently outweighing the very slim possibility of a cougar or black bear attack. They generally avoid humans and acting big and strong deters most black bears. But then again, I'm one of those crazy animal nuts who would cry for a month if I shot a bear. :lol: I guess if a bear attack is a huge risk where you live, maybe carrying a gun...but it's like wearing rubber shoes to make sure you don't get hit by lightning. Attacks are very rare. You are far more likely to die from bees (don't shoot these, it won't do you much good) or lightning.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/facts/mammals/bear/black_bear_problem_faq.htm#prob13

http://www.statisticbrain.com/bear-attack-statistics/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2012/06/dan-crane-black-bears-attack-or-do-they.html

http://www.grizzlybay.org/LearnMore/AttackStats.htm

Mountain lions:

"From 1890 to this date I list 19 1confirmedattacks involving human fatalities in the United States and Canada that have resulted 20 deaths. 2 more very probably due to a cougar but unconfirmed bring the total to 22 deaths..."

http://www.cougarinfo.org/stats.html

http://www.cougarinfo.org/onguard.htm

I find this site to be a little crazy paranoid about it. With how extremely rare attacks are, I don't think that it is logical to never allow children alone outdoors. And shooting a mountain lion that is attacking you would be extremely difficult, just like shooting a human attacker. You really should have some martial arts or self-defense skills, and pepper spray would be far safer than shooting a mountain lion close up. Of course, my shooting experience is limited to shotguns.

If you use pepper spray, get the bear kind. The can is big but you can actually get something with it. Then go practice. Because if you spray yourself you are going to be worthless. My husband is allergic to it. They had to spray each other in the CG as part of training. Most of the guys were fine after a bit. But, he swelled up and it was horrible. He said he would never carry unless his job required it. He would pull his gun before the paper spray. Just having it spray over him in the wind was bad.

I saw a really cool holster for a woman on the lifeinashoe blog. It looked like it would be great for jogging. She wore it because they lived in the country.

I grew up with guns and don't own any. I am about to move and be alone during the week and I have certaintly considered it.

OP, hopefully this doesn't start a debate and if it does I will delete my comment. But I am curious to the posters who are saying that they would accidentally shoot themselves if they carried a gun- (I say with no snark) Do those of you saying that have any experience with guns or gun safety? I wonder, because guns don't just randomly fire. And if you had it in a holster, it certainly wouldn't. I'm just curious because there is so much fear around guns these days, and misinformation, I wish that more people would become educated about the topic.

Before I married a LEO/gun fanatic, I swear I was scared to even look at the thing. Even without the mag in or ammo, I was just frightened of it! I feel much better after having experience and classes.

Disclaimer- Not arguing or starting a fight. Whatever opinions you all have is fine. This is truly just a question.

Thanks!

OP, hopefully this doesn't start a debate and if it does I will delete my comment. But I am curious to the posters who are saying that they would accidentally shoot themselves if they carried a gun- (I say with no snark) Do those of you saying that have any experience with guns or gun safety? I wonder, because guns don't just randomly fire. And if you had it in a holster, it certainly wouldn't. I'm just curious because there is so much fear around guns these days, and misinformation, I wish that more people would become educated about the topic.

Before I married a LEO/gun fanatic, I swear I was scared to even look at the thing. Even without the mag in or ammo, I was just frightened of it! I feel much better after having experience and classes.

Disclaimer- Not arguing or starting a fight. Whatever opinions you all have is fine. This is truly just a question.

Thanks!

I have shot shotguns. I am also incredibly clumsy and shooting off my foot (or my uterus, geez that last holster linked is scary!) is something I can see happening from my own stupidity. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accidental_discharge I can't link to statistics, as they are not legally required to be reported. Most modern handguns do have pins preventing accidental discharge, and from what I can tell most ADs are from a finger hitting a trigger when you try to catch one that is dropping/falling. I have to say that when you're jogging, it seems like you might be likely to fall and/or drop your weapon if it is not secured properly-something like the latch not being set right, etc. To me, it would not be worth it even without the risk of shooting myself.

Thanks!

I grew up in northern Minnesota and was in the Army. So yeah, I have some experience with guns. I wouldn't feel comfortable jogging with a loaded gun.

For the love...

Please don't shoot a black bear.

I'm quite certain our PP isn't looking for bears to shoot. She mentioned being out for exercise and encountering a bear. If the bear approaches her and she feels threatened, I'd want her to shoot the bear to protect herself.

I imagine this is a rare possibility that someone would need to do this, but I think the poster is wise to carry some protection with her.

I would think the gun while jogging would not be a problem to unholster and even fire a warning shot if necessary to scare away someone or something, but I would think it would be extremely difficult to correctly aim and shoot an attacker under those circumstances unless you are very good.

I'm quite certain our PP isn't looking for bears to shoot. She mentioned being out for exercise and encountering a bear. If the bear approaches her and she feels threatened, I'd want her to shoot the bear to protect herself.

I imagine this is a rare possibility that someone would need to do this, but I think the poster is wise to carry some protection with her.

Black bears almost never attack people, and then only if someone is a moron and gets really, really close. Of course, I'd imagine that if one was shot and injured, then it might become desperate enough to attack. About the only precaution one needs to take for the possibility of bear attack while jogging is to not carry raw steak in their pockets.

Dh would like me to carry while I run. But both the need for a holster - which one? - and the fact that it is illegal in my city hold me back. Dh knows it's illegal and he doesn't want me to do anything illegal, he wants the law changed and me to carry.

Dh would like me to carry while I run. But both the need for a holster - which one? - and the fact that it is illegal in my city hold me back. Dh knows it's illegal and he doesn't want me to do anything illegal, he wants the law changed and me to carry.

There are also personal tasers. A gun store would carry them.

I carry pepper spray, and my bring my dog. :)

I can recommend the Amphipod running belt. It is very comfy and stable, even with 30 oz of fluids plus misc junk. You can slip anything you want over the belt, so if there is a belt mounted holster for your gun, I'd look at the amphipod belt.

I also recommend the Nathan racing hydration pack. If you wear a pack with a good front pocket that is large enough for the gun, that could work.

IME, running with anything heavier than a key requires serious thought as to how you wear it, so I'd look for a belt or pack that is designed for running, then add an appropriate pocket holster.

Now, if you only run short runs, say under an hour, then balance and whatnot isn't as vital, but if you run long and frequently, then you need to be careful about balance to avoid injury.