Menu

I'm not sure how to handle this gift....

This summer, my DD goes to gymnastics 5 days a week. On the way back, I bring another gymnast to her home, because it's in the middle of the day and both her parents work. The parents don't reciprocate, but I'm fine with that. The mother did say at the beginning of the summer that she would give me something for the cost of gas but not the amount. I told her it wasn't necessary because her DD lives on our own way back. The only difference for us is that I have to drive along a road that has stop signs every two houses, instead of along the boulevard with synchronized lights. Other than that, they're parallel roads, so it's not a detour.

Well today she handed me a card with the gift she had in mind. I expected around 10$, maybe 20$, because really, I didn't spend that much gas on her daughter, just a few extra stop signs. Well, in the card was a prepaid card for 100$ gas! It didn't even cost me 100$ to get my own DD to gym! My car is as fuel efficient as I can hope for, short of an hybrid.

I know that family is well off. They live in a almost-castle, and just bought a brand new Lexus. They travel abroad many times a year. They're leaving in 2 weeks for 2 weeks at Disney World... In short, the life I used to have before we decided to cut my salary by staying home! LOL... I know it's not a financial strain on them to hand out 100$ to someone helping them. But it's *way* over what I spent in both gas and time!

I thought of returning the card, but that doesn't sound very gracious, does it? So far, I think I'll accept the card, and even use it. But I'm at a loss at how to say thank you! Should I give them a little something back to express my thanks? Even if it's homemade cookies? They probably rarely have those, because the parents are always gone, especially the mom but that's an assumption. Or should I return the card (which is pre-paid) and ask for less? That sounds crappy, doesn't it?

Oh what to do???

Just send a note thanking them for their generous gift. They probably weren't giving you the $100 gift card to reimburse you for gas as much as showing you how much they appreciate your help. Apparently, they were very appreciative. :001_smile:

The card is to cover the gas *and* the help in getting her daughter home from gymnastics. That would have been a huge headache to try to deal with if you hadn't been there for them. Also, for folks in their income bracket $100 is pocket change. Just keep it and be grateful that she is as thoughtful and kind as she is. Sounds like she really appreciated your help.

Another vote for "keep it!"

We did this for a family once. Ds 10 was on a tournament baseball team. Their practice facility was 45 minutes away. Practice was 2 hours. It was a HUGE pain for us to have to take him. So, we asked one of the coaches if Andrew could hitch a ride with him. Near the end of the season, we gave the coach a gas card that was more than what they spent to get there and back in gas. It was more of a thank you for all you did for us than the money.

How cool! I vote to keep it and send a short thank you note.

I wish some of the (much better off, 2 parent working) families that are always dropping their kids off with me or insinuating I pick up their child too "because I'm not doing anything" would do that! Heck, I've been hit up for free tutoring because we homeschool, childcare, driving kids places- all for free, because I "have the time". I do it if I want to, I don't if I don't, but rarely am I even thanked, let alone like that! I don't man to imply that I *should* be paid or anything, just the assumption that I can drive hither and yon for these people (basically a free nanny because our children are friends) gets a little old.

Another vote to graciously accept the card.

You've provided a tremendous service to their family, and she wanted to express her appreciation.

We were once in a similar situation. We gave a weekly ride home to a boy from one of our sons' activities. We drove right past the boy's home on the regular route, so it was no big deal at all for us to stop. At the end of the season, the family gave us a gift card. At first, I felt odd accepting it, but then realized they just wanted to show their appreciation. I did send a note of thanks to them.

People who helped me out in ways like this were a tremendous blessing. It's probably more than just the money. Like another poster mentioned, this may be the only way that her dd can participate in this activity. The parents are grateful and want to express their thanks.

Accept it graciously and send a nice note.

For sure keep the card. Regardless of whether you actually spent that much in gas, you have definitely helped this family. I think it is their way of "really" saying thank you for them not having to make arrangements to take off work to pick up their daughter. I would mail them a thank you card and leave it at that.

Oh what to do???

It's a gift -- just say, "Thank you!"

It might seem like it's too much, but it isn't. She's thanking you for more than just gas, etc -- she's thanking you for your kindness. Since they are so busy, would their daughter be able to go at all if not for you? Perhaps this is what she is thinking of and trying to show you that she appreciates your thoughtfulness.

It isn't the amount that's important -- "it's the thought that counts."

One more vote to keep it. And truly, I do not think you need to send a note to thank them for thanking you...;)
This is what I was thinking. When you give someone a Christmas present, and they say thankyou, you don't need to say thankyou for thanking me.

You gave them a gift of time that they weren't able to do themselves. They are thanking you.

If you thank them and give them cookies or something....sure it's a nice gesture. But then they may feel they have to thank you for thanking them for thanking you................see? :001_huh: :001_smile:

Keep it and drop a note of thanks. If your kids attend the same classes or activities, there will probably be another time when you can do her a favor as a thank you. Enjoy...with the price of gas, that amount doesn't go to far!!!

That was really nice of her to think of you!

I agree, accept it, and send a thank you card for the generous gift, and tell her what a pleasure it has been to have her daughter spend the time with you, showing it was in no way a burden. She is not only thanking you for gas and time, but for caring enough to care for her daughter and ask nothing in return. Not everyone would be as generous with their care and time as you were, and she wants to show her appreciation.

I think she has done something wonderful and appropriate for someone in her situation. Enjoy it :).

She's giving you a gift, not repaying you for a service.

Accept graciously, since it is the place of the gift-giver, not the recipient, to determine the appropriate value of the gift.

Well said. I agree keep it and enjoy it.

(do you know how valuable it is to have someone trustworthy to cart your child around?)