Menu

am I being too frugal??

ProudGrandma

I just bought 2 sets of queen sheets from Wal-mart and they came in these cute little cloth bags with snaps for closures. Maybe you know what I am talking about. Anyway, there is NO way to get the sheets back in there for storage (although that would be awesome)...however, it is too nice of a little cloth bag to trash. The closure isn't good enough to contain small pieces of anything..but surely someone here would have an idea for me...or am I really just being way too frugal and I should just throw it away?

I think you could use them for something. Reusable gift bags, perhaps? Do you travel? If so, you could roll your panties and place them inside for neater packing. You could roll and store extension cords inside. You could make little car kits out of them with small packs of Kleenex, a granola bar, a juice bag,a couple of bandaids, a small notepad, a pen...whatever you think would be handy. You could use them to keep plastic spoons and forks, paper napkins, and the little condiment packets in the car if you brown bag it to an event. I don't know...I could probably keep going. Maybe I'm too frugal? :D

I just bought sheets yesterday and tossed those bags. I tried to give them to the kids to play with but they just fought over them and tried to put them over each other's heads. But now that I think about it, I need something to store DH's ties in. Might go dig that out of the trash now.

That is not being too frugal. I hate waste so I'm always looking for ways to re-use things. My girls have a couple of those little bags and put their colored pencils in them since they're always taking them everywhere.

Goodness, that's not being too frugal. (And those who don't need them - donate rather than trash - some folks will buy that kind of thing from a thrift, making it a win-win for the buyer and the thrift's charity.)

Store matchbox cars or action figures, hang on a hook.

Store a young child's dance gear.

Put around a non-stick pot so it doesn't get damaged in the cabinet.

Fill with toiletry samples and give to a women's shelter.

Store scraps of fabric.

Use as gift wrap.

Store a mess kit for camping.

Use as a shoe bag when traveling.

Store plastic cutlery and napkins in the car.

Make a first aid kit for the car.

Put an extra kid outfit in it for the car.

Sew on different handles to make a tote bag.

Give to a child to decorate and keep their treasures in.

It's good for unmatched socks too.

Hijack -

Free yourself from collecting unmatched socks, waiting wistfully for their partners to show up!

Simply return each one to the owner's drawer, where it will eventually meet its mate (if the mate is not there already).

Really!

It's very freeing. Life is all about the simple pleasures. ;-)

Hijack -

Free yourself from collecting unmatched socks, waiting wistfully for their partners to show up!

Simply return each one to the owner's drawer, where it will eventually meet its mate (if the mate is not there already).

Really!

We tried that, until we found out the cats were opening drawers, digging around for the unmatched socks, and dragging them off, never to be seen again. I keep them on a closet shelf now.

New use for sheet bags: cat storage. :-)

I use one to keep extra socks who have lost their mate. It fits nicely on the hangers that shorts are hung upon, and I store it on my rod in the laundry room. I used another of those little bags in the kitchen to hold plastic grocery bags before we went to reusable bags. Those little sheet bgs are cute and handy.

I have held onto the plastic type of bag for swim gear. But they tend to tear very quickly. I imagine it would be the same for the fabric ones - do they have adequate seem allowances, or will they soon split at the seams?

I have never been accused of being frugal, but I keep the stupid bags, too. :blush:

They're probably in a stack in the linen closet somewhere, but I don't really know because I have never, ever, ever used them for anything.

But I keep saving them.

I hope I don't end up on Hoarders some day. For all I know, it starts slowly, beginning with saving those little cloth bags......... :eek:

We all have those bags on our beds for stuff.

Dd keeps a book, her diary, a pencil, and a few little treasures in it.

Ds keeps his beloved book light and little iPod in it.

I use mine for my phone and kindle.

I didn't even think "too frugal." I thought "oh how cool! Perfect for bedside treasures."

my girls stuff the bags with stuffing and use them as pillows for their stuffed animals. Then again, my girls are weird and actually play with the stuffing material as well. One day it is mashed potatoes or cotton candy. The next day their baby just "puked" in the floor.

Hijack -

Really!

that's what I do now, too!