Menu

Autumn was just dx'd with Celiacs.

AimeeM

We like Bob's Red Mill pizza crust too. Udi's also sells premade pizza crusts that are good.

For pasta, Tinkyada pasta (rice pasta) is the best we've tried. It's sold in most major grocery stores now (Walmart even carries it).

Going gluten-free feels overwhelming at first, but in time you'll feel like it's no big deal. :grouphug:

Guest submarines

:grouphug: Nowadays the GF life-style easier than ever. I'd start with GF mixes as they are easy and mostly really good. Experiment with different brands. For quick pizza we buy pre-made crusts. My kids love corn pasta, but my friend's kids love rice pasta. They are all different, and you'll find the brand that your DD likes.

Crockpot365 has a lot of really good recipes, and they're all GF. Big diet changes are so hard at first, and I wouldn't guess that 11 is a terribly easy age to make them. I think it's probably better to start out with foods that are normally GF for the first month or so before you start trying to substitute things like GF bread, pizza crust, pasta, etc. The substitutes are pretty good, but they're a lot better if you haven't just had a great loaf of "real" bread two days earlier, iykwim.

My daughter was actually giddy with excitement about receiving her Celiac diagnosis. She felt so much better. I hope your daughter starts feeling better (in every way) soon!

Pre-made pizza crusts, lots of fun stuff can be made with gluten free cookies and ice cream (check for malt). Lasagna noodles that are gluten free are yummy. It's difficult at first, but it will be worth it. :)

gluten free from scratch requires buying a variety of flours, and many stores now carry mixes and frozen foods but barely any flours - esp starting out, its easier to start easy. that being said, my boys never liked the frozen gfcf pizza, but there was (briefly) a (very pricey) pizza place near us that made pizza they could eat. they LOVED it so i eventually put in the work to learn to cook gluten free. the book i started with was Gluten Free Baking Classics, but there are so many websites. I like Gluten Free Goddess . . .

We love the Hodgson Mill pizza crust mix. I make it in a buttery cast iron skillet (well, two per box), deep dish style.

For pasta, the corn/quinoa blends are our favorites. Ancient Harvest is the brand we get for spaghetti and macaroni, Schar for penne.

For other "GF aisle" convenience foods, we buy Udi's white bread, white bagels, and frozen pizzas. King Arthur Flour's GF chocolate cake mix is the best boxed chocolate cake I've ever had, gluten free or not (make it at least a day before serving, seems to be the trick to boxed GF brownies too). I second the Crockpot 365 blog. I had already been using it for new recipes before we had to eliminate gluten, so it wasn't that hard of a transition.

I hope she feels better soon!

We like the Namaste GF pizza crust:

http://namastefoods.com/products/cgi-bin/products.cgi?Function=show&Id=8

We tend to favor the texture of corn pasta over rice.

GF Bisquick makes good pancakes, biscuits and a ton of other things (they have a great website that you can search for GF recipes).

We LOVE 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/three-ingredient-peanut-butter-cookies/

We are on day 8 of GF here for DS9. I am not using any "substitutes" for a myriad of reasons, but I will "third" the crockpot 365 blog... we found lots of ideas on there. Mexican and Chinese (just get gluten free soy sauce) are good ideas.

The thing that is getting me is how it can be hidden sometimes... and restaurants...nope, tried on Sunday and I think we'll stick to picnics or the like for now. (especially since we don't eat meat out)

(He is not diagnosed with Celiacs, I am doing this for his blood sugar/thyroid issues (long story), plus my sis is celiac, so it may run in the family??? I want to try now, before it gets worse.)

the bob's red mill pizza crust is the best I have found. Make sure you follow the directions exactly - including using wet hands to spread out the dough(not damp - wet - I re-wet mine several times while spreading the dough out) and pre-baking the crust for 8-9 minutes before topping. I find it is much cheaper to order on Amazon - I can get a 4 pack for about $10 as opposed to $4 each at the grocery store. Also check out Vitacost - they can have good prices.

I also like the corn pasta better than the rice - I find it less finicky - can be cooked a bit longer and not fall apart and is great in baked pasta dishes (lasagna, etc.)

For breads, Udi's is the best pre-made. I am the only gluten-free person in my house, so I rarely buy it for me as I am fine without it (I make sandwiches for the kids and use either a corn tortilla to make a wrap for me or have the sandwich toppings on a salad) - but for an 11 year old who is dreading this, I would buy a loaf pretty quick. You can slowly transition to more naturally gluten free things - but if your kid is used to sandwiches regularly, don't take that all away at once. If she likes cucumbers, I have also found that cucumber slices work well as crackers with chicken or tuna salad.

One more suggestion is to look at Paleo/Primal blogs for recipe ideas. I am currently loving Everyday Paleo - and what I find especially helpful about the Paleo/Primal approach is that they avoid all grains, so no substitution - it is a totally different approach to eating and is helpful to me in reshaping my ideas of what a meal looks like.

I went gluten-free last fall, and since doing so I have lost weight, lost brain fog, and gained energy. I feel so much better now - and I hope your dd will feel better soon - feeling healthy makes it much easier to stick with this!

I made up this list for a friend last year when her dd went GF. My dh and oldest ds have Celiac / my youngset ds has a neurologic reaction to G. It's more than you asked for but maybe some of the rest will be helpful.

Blogs and websites:

Celiac.com - Lots of info

Celiac.org - Also lots of info

GFCFDiet - has a lot of gluten free info amongst the GFCF info

Gluten-free-guide - blog with info and recipes

Finecooks - blog with info and recipes

GlutenFreeMom - she's got a huge list of GF products they've tried and liked as well as a lot of other good info.

Some of the products we love:

Pamela's - we use a lot of Pamela's cooking mixes. Her bread is the one my guys like the best. It can be used in a bread machine. We also use her brownie, cake, cookie and pancake baking mixes.

Envirokidz - Cereal and snack bars. My guys love their rice cereal snack bars.

EnjoyLife - Great ready made cookies, cereals

FoodForLife Tortillas - Joshua loves these.

We use chebe focaccia mix for pizza crust and their cinnamon roll mix is excellent.

My guy's love Tinkyada pasta. It's the best brand Joshua has eaten he tells me.

For ready made bread FoodForLife has some good ones. My guys like their "Rice Almond" and "Millet" They prefer the homewade but will use these as alternatives. Their Raisin bread is also quite good.

Udis bread is also quite good. I'm told their bagels are delicious. We have not tried them yet.

eta: I agree with the recc. for Bob's Red Mill pizza crust. We just recently tried it and loved it.

Another question - when reading about going gluton and wheat free, I see people mention losing weight. How can I make that NOT happen for dd? She has a very difficult time keeping ON weight and it's a concern for us (and her pedi - we're hoping to gain some more insight to this when we see the GI we're referred out to).

Aimee, your DD should begin to gain weight since people with undiagnosed celiacs aften have trouble with being underweight. I think a lot of people who lose weight from going GF may be because they are declining snacks when in public since most are made of wheat, therefore, eating less calories overall. Or they are eating less processed foods.

I'm going to give another vote for Tinkyada pasta, it's our favorite! In fact, the gluten eating members of our family don't even care for regular pasta anymore.

Here's our favorite pizza crust recipe: http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/12/thin-buckwheat-pizza-crust-gluten-free.html Namaste makes a very yummy pizza crust mix too. After those two, our next favorite would Bob's Red Mill pizza mix. I buy a lot of my GF grains and starches in bulk through Azure Standard. They have drop points once a month throughout most of the west half of the U.S., so that may be an option for you depending on where you live.

It seems so big and scary right now, but give it a little time and you won't notice. I'm sitting here eating a GF apple fritter, homemade, and it tastes like a bakery one! My suggestion for once you deal with the diagnosis is to cut out the processed gluten free food and consider a temporary healing diet. But that can wait until you are used to the changes. ;)

Get a bag of Pamela's pancake and baking mix. Make a batch of pancakes using your favorite recipe, just sub the flour for the Pamela's mix. She won't even know they are gluten free! Pamela's has never made a bad recipe for us!

I am on my phone so I can't give links, but there are so many great recipes out there!

She will probably gain weight since Celiacs don't absorb all the nutrients they eat while eating gluten. My son gained about 4 pounds which is huge for him!

My dd8 has gained weight since we eliminated wheat from her diet as well. She is still slender but looks alot more "normal" instead of underweight.

Another question - when reading about going gluton and wheat free, I see people mention losing weight. How can I make that NOT happen for dd? She has a very difficult time keeping ON weight and it's a concern for us (and her pedi - we're hoping to gain some more insight to this when we see the GI we're referred out to).

Don't worry. She will gain weight. I was underweight before my diagnosis, and I gained weight once my body healed. I run into problems when I accidently eat gluten. Then I lose a bunch of weight again. Trust me gluten free does NOT equal carb free. Plenty of weight gaining carbs to be had.

It seems so big and scary right now, but give it a little time and you won't notice. I'm sitting here eating a GF apple fritter, homemade, and it tastes like a bakery one!

Recipe! You cannot make a statement about an apple fritter and not share the recipe.

I agree that Pamela's flour is good to have on hand. I used that at first. I prefer Arrowhead Mills GF All Purpose flour and Gluten Free Pantry flour. Those are my go to all purpose flours now.

Schar white bread flour is really good. It's the only mix I've found that will give you a crispy crust. I love it for hard rolls, pizza (sorry Bob Red Mill takes a second place to Schar), and french bread. I love this mix. It's my guilty pleasure. My stores don't carry many Schar products but everything I've tried is good.

Betty Crocker GF mixes are good. The cakes aren't bad and are great for when you need to quickly and mindlessly make cake, cupcakes, or brownies. The chocolate chip cookies taste *exactly* like regular chocolate chip cookies.

In fact, I think you should buy a box of Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies and bake them tomorrow for her. Maybe it's take the sting out of her diagnosis. Seriously, this cookies are yummy. Even my very picky-won't-touch-anything-gf-fath in-law likes these.

Van's makes good frozen waffles. Nice to have in the freezer for quick breakfast.

Udi's makes very good pre-made things as well. As posted above their bread is best.

If she eats oatmeal I suggest waiting awhile before trying gf oats. Not all celiacs and handle even gf oats. Switch to buckwheat, millet, and cream of rice for hot cereal.

My kids like Envirokids cereal (when I buy it)

Oh, and in case you haven't scoped things out yet......prepare yourself for sticker shock. GF substitutes are expensive. (Which I find unfair....why should my gf soy sauce cost $3 more than the gluten version? JAWM)

For carbs, I'm no GF expert but I might start experimenting with Maseca corn flour, if you like that sort of thing (just a little discovery I made recently).

I'm really just posting to request an update if you notice anything different about her after you switch to GF! Good luck!

As to the weight thing - I had tried for several years to lose weight. A few pounds would drop off but then come right back. It was a vicious cycle that I couldn't break. Going gluten-free, for the first time in my life, has broken that cycle and my cravings for foods. I now get hungry, but at reasonable times based on when I last ate. I don't crave foods like I did for years. I am not sure I can explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it, but there it is. So for me, taking out the gluten changed how my body worked and led to needed weight loss. I would not worry about that with your daughter as it sounds like her body's response to gluten is to not put on weight. I would expect that as she avoids gluten and her body heals she will gain weight in a healthy way. BTW I don't have celiac - at least not an official diagnosis and I don't think that is what I have - I do have gluten sensitivity and avoid it like the plague, however.

DD LOVES Trader Joe's gluten free pizza. TJ's rice pasta (fusilli shaped) is good too. Udi's bread. Glutino table crackers (like saltines). Glutino also makes chocolate dipped wafer cookies that are delicious -- Grandma buys DD those for a treat. :001_smile: I've also bought GF frozen breaded cod & halibut but I can't remember the brand name.

For baking, I use a GF flour blend from Gluten Free Cookies by Luane Kohnke. I've successfully subbed it into a number of different muffin and cookie recipes, including Linzer bars, yum yum yum!

I've found that tapioca flour is cheapest at Asian markets, about $1/package. Other than that, I watch for sales on Bob's Red Mill. I DO NOT like Bob's all purpose baking mix because it has garbanzo beans and IMO tastes nasty -- same with Bob's chocolate cake mix, but the vanilla cake mix doesn't have garbanzo beans and tastes okay.

I'm really just posting to request an update if you notice anything different about her after you switch to GF! Good luck!

Her dd has celiac disease so yes of course she will notice a difference in her after being gf. Having celiac disease is different than someone who just experiments with going gf to see if it makes a difference in how they feel. When one has celiac you *have* to be gf or you will never get better (and will get worse), and yes, you *will* feel better after removing gluten. There is no "maybe you'll feel better if you stop eating gluten" when you have celiac. It's mandatory or you will cause severe damage to the body.

Her dd has celiac disease so yes of course she will notice a difference in her after being gf.

I'm sorry, I should have been specific. I was referring to the dd's learning issues, such as dyslexia, for which a difference would be unexpected and particularly interesting.

I'm sorry, I should have been specific. I was referring to the dd's learning issues, such as dyslexia, for which a difference would be unexpected and particularly interesting.

My tone online was probably sharper than irl. I tend to get irritated when people think I'm gf because it's the latest diet fad.

As for dyslexia and other learning issues it hasn't made a difference at all in my kids. My eldest is dyslexic and being gf has done nothing to improve that. My middle ds has sensory and attention problems. When I read about ADHD it my kid to the T. Anyway, gf also has not a difference in him. We are a 100% gf house so there is no cross contamination. They do not get any gluten, but no improvement in learning/behavior.

FWIW, my ds's behavior vastly improved after he had his adenoids removed.

Dyslexia is dyslexia and if one really has it proper instruction, practice, and accommodation is what will help. Rule out vision issues if you suspect something along those lines. I've never read anything about diet helping dyslexia. Have you? That would be interesting.

Back to the OT. :)

I think I forgot to mention in my above post that corn tortillas are great to have on hand for quick meals. They also sell rice tortillas (look in the freezer section) but they are expensive.

I would say on the weight gain it seems often it results in low weight for kids and higher weight for adults. That is not an absolute of course but it is causing inflammation and damage to the body and how the body responds varies from individual. My son gained weight, I know of adults irl who have lost weight.

We like TJs rice pasta here, not a fan of the corn, although it is cheaper. I buy thai kitchen white rice noodles as well for some dishes. I only rarely eat those myself as I prefer to stay grain free. We use Bob's RM and GF Mama pizza crust, both are good, although Bob's is easier to make. I put off buying Bob's for awhile as I knew they used bean flour a lot but it isn't in their pizza mix so it is my go to now as it is cheaper as well.

Going GF made a HUGE difference in my son's behavior. I was more concerned about his behavior than his health, it was that bad. He did have growth though which was great, for 2 years his feet didn't grow. He is still small but at least on the curve.

(sorry for going off-topic again!)

Is the presumed mechanism there just better sleep? It's interesting that you happen to mention this. My ds's behavior has taken a nose-dive this year and I'm twisting myself into pretzels trying to figure out what it is - I keep coming back to Symbicort (he has heavy-duty asthma issues and I have not been able to figure out a way for him to stop taking this) - though sleep disruption would be a logical explanation. He had his adenoids out when he was 2. But, the other day the allergist mentioned that adenoids can grow back, 10-15% of the time, or something like that. I had no idea. I don't hear any snoring or other sleep issues though when I check on him during the night. He has an appointment next week but unfortunately I'm afraid his new cold will interfere with the examination...

no, that's why it would be really interesting, lol (though I can't remember what other learning issues might be in the mix for OP's dd)

Yes, it was lack of deep sleep causing many of his behavior problems. He did not snore at all. The only sign he had was severely chapped lips. I never saw him mouth breathing when I checked on him sleeping. I was not sure lack of deep sleep was the problem, but the doctor was right. His lips have been badly chapped for a few months and I'm wondering if his adenoids grew back as the doctor did tell me it happens. Darn body trying to keep its immune system intact. ;) However, he's suffering from seasonal allergies right now so I'm hoping that's it. I don't want to pay for surgery again, and I'm sure my ds doesn't want to go through it again either.

My husband is asking what the best GF/WF flour is for making fresh pasta - he told Autumn that from now on, Saturday nights they (dh and dd) are going to make fresh GF/WF pasta for Sunday night dinner (we always have a big pasta dish after Mass on Sundays - it's tradition and Autumn really looks forward to it).