Menu

Where are you buying your (new) homeschool books? Rainbow Resources questions...

Where are you buying new homeschool books and curricula when you don't buy from a specific curriculum vendor? I've always bought from Amazon and CBD. This year I bought next to nothing at Amazon. They started charging tax in my state that upped the price on some things and they actually didn't carry a lot that I was getting. I have bought a chunk from CBD the last few years and EVERY.SINGLE.TIME my package has arrived ripped into. Two years ago, books were torn, last year the books were crunched, and this year, stuff was actually missing. I know a few years ago, when I started coming on here, people seemed to be hit or miss with Rainbow Resources, so I don't know that I've ever ordered from them - maybe once? I'm contemplating switching to buying from Rainbow - do they give you tracking numbers when you get the free shipping? Do they have good customer service? How long does it normally take to get your order if you live on the west coast? I feel like I'm breaking up with CBD! We've given them a lot of money and they've had good customer service, but having things munched and crunched and missing is getting old. :(

For our upcoming school year (2013-2014; 1st grade twins; 3rd grade), I ordered most of our materials from Rainbow Resource. I've never had a problem with getting materials quickly and in great condition with them. They have excellent customer service. I've returned something a few times, no problems.

We also ordered from CBD, some more story CDs from Great Hall Productions, some from Amazon, and something from Evan-Moor (don't remember off the top of my head tonight). Again, no problems with any of these suppliers. HTH.

The last couple of years I have ordered from Rainbow. They have excellent customer service. They also have a fb page if you are on fb and they answer questions on there almost immediately. I have also received emails quickly, too and I have been able to call them and add things to my order when I forgot them on an online order. They have free shipping right now for orders over $50(delivered by DHL or USPS--$150 spent will get you free UPS shipping). They do give you a tracking number after your items ship. I don't know about the west coast but I live in TX and get my shipments within a week if not sooner. Sometimes I've had items on back order and that obviously takes longer but that has only happened twice. I really like Rainbow. I know things may take longer now as convention season starts up and more people start ordering supplies.

I order from Amazon and Rainbow. I've been ordering from Rainbow since my oldest was 3 and have never had anything except exceptional customer service. Everything is always packed really well (I recently had a big order with at least 25 items arrive, and nothing was even dinged).

ETA: With Rainbow, I usually get a tracking number emailed to me. But you can always call them a day or two after you place your order and they'll let you know a tracking number.

I order from both CBD and Rainbow. They are both good. CBD comes much quicker, has a tracking number, and lets you know before you order that something is on backorder. But if you're not impatient and controlling ( :lol: ), the $50 free shipping is very nice from Rainbow.

I order most of my main items from Rainbow Resource Center. I need to purchase a bit at once due to shipping and customs fees. I just received a package on Friday in record time! This time I did have two items in the box that were broken, but Rainbow Resource Center took care of it right away. All my other packages have arrived in great condition.

I will probably order from Amazon and Rainbow.

My first choice is Amazon, if there are things I can't get there, I will look at RR.

I have placed several small orders (usually not more than a couple SM workbooks or HIG) with CBD and they have all arrived VERY quickly and undamaged.

So, if I can't get it at Amazon, and my order is going to be over $50, I will order from RR, smaller orders will be from CBD.

I've used Rainbow Resource Center from two different countries outside the US, and they have always been fantastic. They have helped me out via email with a lost parcel (which eventually did turn up after they replaced it with no argument) and last minute additions to an order. In both instances the contact was friendly and resolution of the problem prompt.

I've been happy with Rainbow. The shipping is not terribly fast - though I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime. I get my orders within a week or so as long as they are not backordered. Sometimes a little more than a week, and backorders can take a long time. If one item is backordered they do send the rest of the items, though. I do get tracking numbers emailed to me. Packaging and service have been very good.

I order from Amazon if I'm in a hurry and they have what I need. Otherwise I use Rainbow Resources. Their prices are very good..

I have been ordering from RR for at least 15 years. I have never had a problem. They give out tracking numbers and my orders usually take less than a week. The longest I have ever waited is about 8 days and that was a last minute right before school started order. I have never received damaged items.

Joy

Thanks for all these replies! I order online a lot, and never have problems, only with CBD. I was wondering if their boxes weren't as strong. It doesn't sound like anyone else has a problem with them, though. I think I may try Rainbow out, with all the glowing reviews here. Thanks, everyone!

Every package I have ever ordered from CBD has had something damaged in it. Every single one. I've assumed it's something to do with their international shipping because I'd never heard anyone else mention a problem with them. I even emailed them about it once and they said they'd flag my account to take more care in packaging mine, but it didn't help. The next time I order from them I will make a note on the order itself to see if that makes a difference.

I only order huge orders from RR (to save on intl shipping) but have never had a problem with them. Nothing damaged. We had a game that was missing something out of it, we didn't discover until about six months later since it was a new game still in shrinkwrap that we hadn't gotten around to opening. Obviously just a manufacturing error that the piece got left out. I contacted them and they sent a replacement immediately. I realised I had moved since my last order, and because of time zone lag I couldn't notify them in time so it went to my old address. They quickly sent /another/ replacement to my new address. Great customer service.

This year I purchased from HOD, Milestone Books, and RR. I have never had any issues purchasing from RR. There shipping is average. A bit slower in the summer. I just made a purchase from them a couple of weeks ago and I received a tracking number via email and my package arrived the following week.

I have ordered from RR for 8 years or so, multiple times per year. Everything is beautifully packed. I've returned some items, no problems. Their shipping used to be free for $150 plus orders -- then they started making it free for $50 plus orders last fall, I think. Shipping used to be slow -- you could pay $10 to have orders expedited at the warehouse. Now they seem to get things packed right away. Orders have tracking info, and arrive in a week or so to me (east coast0.

RR is always my first stop when it comes to education materials. Amazing selection, great prices, excellent customer service, good shipping.

Thanks for the heads up on CBD. I've only ordered from them once (hard to find item), so I didn't realize there could be problems.

I also buy a lot of things from Amazon. Taxes are here for us too, but 2-day Prime is hard to resist.

I order from both CB and RR. A few years ago, I was having the same problem you are having. It wasn't anything to do with CB. CB would actually replace my order even when I didn't have insurance. They were wonderful. There was also another supplier that is just 1 1/2 hours north of where we live that had shipped us a package at about the same time. This package arrived with no book and just the packing slip! Because I hadn't paid for insurance the PO would not reimburse me. However, the supplier resent my order free and paid for UPS shipping. This supplier informed me that if it goes through the Memphis PO, there would be problems.

I was at our local PO complaining so much that when they saw me come through the door the "Next Window" signs went up. (OK, I'm just kidding, but they knew me!) After awhile things settled down and I am having no more problems. I started making sure all my packages were insured.

Now my CB packages arrive with no problems. The packages from RR seem to take a little longer, but I have no problem with them either.

I order from all three. I have never had a problem with CBD. Rainbow resources was slow but the package was intact. On a couple of orders I have not received shipping e-mails. The packed just showed up. A nice surprise.

With Amazon, I am a Prime subscriber. Amazon used multiple delivery services depending on where you live and where the order is coming from. If they use OnTrac as the delivery service I tend to have problems. The left one package on a dirty plastic chair next to our garbage cans and if I had not heard the van leave the driveway it would have been days before we found it and it would have been ruined because it rained.

Just this Friday they delivered another package and they left it at the end of my sidewalk (15 feet from my porch) on top of a gopher mound. Grr.

I order from all three. I have never had a problem with CBD. Rainbow resources was slow but the package was intact. On a couple of orders I have not received shipping e-mails. The packed just showed up. A nice surprise.

With Amazon, I am a Prime subscriber. Amazon used multiple delivery services depending on where you live and where the order is coming from. If they use OnTrac as the delivery service I tend to have problems. The left one package on a dirty plastic chair next to our garbage cans and if I had not heard the van leave the driveway it would have been days before we found it and it would have been ruined because it rained.

Just this Friday they delivered another package and they left it at the end of my sidewalk (15 feet from my porch) on top of a gopher mound. Grr.

I think you should complain to your local office or maybe to Amazon. I have a lot of stuff delivered by OnTrac and my driver leaves everything on my porch, right next to the front door.

I think you should complain to your local office or maybe to Amazon. I have a lot of stuff delivered by OnTrac and my driver leaves everything on my porch, right next to the front door.

I have to Ontrac. It think this time I need to call Amazon. :(

I don't order big batches of curriculum all at once. Rather, I buy the next ETC book when we're a couple of weeks away from finishing the current one, same with the "B" half of Singapore books, etc. I tend to buy from CBD, RR, or Amazon based on whoever has the best price.

I order most of my main items from Rainbow Resource Center. I need to purchase a bit at once due to shipping and customs fees. I just received a package on Friday in record time! This time I did have two items in the box that were broken, but Rainbow Resource Center took care of it right away. All my other packages have arrived in great condition.

Wehomeschool: If you live anywhere near the border, have you looked into drop centres in the border cities (Detroit, Port Huron, Buffalo)? We live close enough that there is a substantial savings to going and picking up packages. If you also buy fuel, milk and eggs at the same time it could pay for the fuel and time to get the items.

I go over every couple of weeks. We live about 1/2 hour from the border, but I would likely do it on a more limited scale if we were further from the States. I very rarely have to pay tax when crossing.