Menu

If you were getting a homemade Christmas present from me, which would you prefer?

OrganicAnn

What would you prefer as a Christmas present?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Crazy quilt project for Christmas presents

• A Christmas ornament
    • Throw pillow
    • Pillowcase with Crazy quilt trim
    • Something to wear - scarf, broach, etc.
    • Pin cushion
    • None of the above - I hate crazy quilt things
    • None of the above - for other reasons

I really want to do small crazy quilt presents. So which would you prefer?

1) a Christmas ornament (star or heart)

2) a throw pillow maybe in Christmas colors

3) pillowcases trimmed in crazy quilt border maybe with names embroidered on it. (ETA: Pillowcase set)

4) a scarf, broach or something to wear

5 pin cushion

6) None of the above - because I hate crazy quilts

7) None of the above - for other reasons.

Thanks for the input!

Edited to make it multiple choice.

Also I searched Pinterest for other crazy quilt ideas, but couldn't find any others that appealed to me. So if you have an idea if a crazy quilt gift, feel free to share. (whole quilts are not possible)

I would LOVE a scarf, thank you! I'll send you my address whenever you are ready for it.

;) LOL!

It will probably take me from now till Christmas eve to do even one project, so I have no hopes of producing any extras. I have to remember to put myself on the list. No fun just to do for everyone else.

We need a multiple choice poll. :lol:

I put throw pillow but I need some throw pillows. I would like any of those things. I am not really picky, I just don't like smelly stuff because I am allergic to it half the time.

I edited to make it multiple choice.

I'm with you on the smelly stuff. No sachet or similar projects for me.

Pillowcase! It's practical, and would get used the most. AND I would go to sleep w/ a smile on my face thinking of the lovely person that created it for me!

Can I get on your Christmas list?

What a lovely sentiment. You never know if homemade gifts are appreciated, but that is the idea that they would feel special.

I voted something to wear. I have mixed feelings about the throw pillow idea because I would not want a (edited because WHAT the heck, autocorrect, really? sinks Ethel's?) single throw pillow that didn't match anything else. I have an OCD streak, apparently.

I voted something to wear. I have mixed feelings about the throw pillow idea because I would not want a (edited because WHAT the heck, autocorrect, really? sinks Ethel's?) single throw pillow that didn't match anything else. I have an OCD streak, apparently.

If I know what color your couch is and what color your throw pillows are and made a Christmasy one to mix in with your current pillows, would that be better? Or still no?

Of course something to wear is a good answer too.

Pillowcase-no name

Throw pillow-not Christmas colors though

I love how crazy quilts look! I wish I could sew.

eta: Normally I'd say ornament but would the crazy quilt-ness show? Does that make sense?

Why no name? So you could put it on a guest bed? I was also thinking of embroidery something like "Twas the night before Christmas" one one and "Not a Creature was stirring, not even a mouse" (and put a little mouse) on the other if I don't do names.

The ornaments would be smaller, so they may not show as much. They would also be simpler to do.

Er..If I picked out my own throw pillows they would probably not match. :lol:

I am OCD but in a much different way. As long as things have a place and are in their place I don't freak out but I don't mind if things look a bit weird.

Why no name? We tend to share even our special things So you could put it on a guest bed? I have given guests my most favorite blanket so I could see letting a guest have the special pillowcase. I was also thinking of embroidery something like "Twas the night before Christmas" one one and "Not a Creature was stirring, not even a mouse" (and put a little mouse) on the other if I don't do names. This sounds cute! Though I do like when I can use something all year.

The ornaments would be smaller, so they may not show as much. I would like an ornament if it was definitely a crazy quilt. They would also be simpler to do.

I am in awe that you are thinking of this now...I had to check what month it was...lol!

I am in awe that you are thinking of this now...I had to check what month it was...lol!

I have to start now.

Last year I knitted my MIL a scarf. It wasn't a particularly big scarf. Normal size. I started it about April/May and finished it in December. Of course, I put it aside for a couple months here and there.

My very favorite gifts of all time are from my sister who sews. The most priceless is my quilted Christmas tree skirt. I love it. She made it nice and big so it really shows. On every panel she machine embroidered one of the 12 days of Christmas. But, what I really wanted to tell you about is her potholders. They are the BEST and I don't think they are too terribly hard. But every year it is my hope that I'll get a new set. It took years, but I now have enough to only use them and have actually worn through my first set. They are heart shaped. One side has 2 overlapping pieces into which you put your hand. So you fold them in half inside your clawed hand. They work better than any store bought pot holder I've ever had. And she is a master at fabrics. One pair of mine have chocolate covered strawberries on them because when I was younger, she flew me to Orlando to "watch her kids" but really it was just a huge blessing to me to get to go to Disney with her and her kids. And the hotel put chocolate covered strawberries on our pillows at night. Hence the potholders. They are a daily reminder of a very special sister and a very special trip. So, I vote that you crazy quilt her potholders for gifts and where you can, use fabrics that match the person's home or tell a tale. That would be a gift I'd absolutely adore.

I love it when people give us ornaments because they're small and have a place to be put away at the end of Christmas. And I love to think about where we got our ornaments when we decorate the tree. But some people's trees are far more orderly than mine and they might not want a unique ornament.

I'd much prefer the pillowcase over the pillow. I think the potholders are a good idea too.

If I know what color your couch is and what color your throw pillows are and made a Christmasy one to mix in with your current pillows, would that be better? Or still no?

If you knew my decor colors and made something Christmasy to go with it, I could go for that. Otherwise, I voted for the ornament, because I would enjoy having it every year to put on the tree, and it would make me smile to think of a dear friend or loved one making it.

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't totally decided yet, but I think I'll start with a Christmas ornament and see how it turns out. Then if I feel ambitious try a set of pillowcases, then a throw pillow (for me probably).

But I love the other ideas. I think everyone has tree skirts. Pot holders would be different.