Menu

Happy/quirky/escapist book recommendations?

Outdoorsy Type

I loved Silver Lining Playbook, Jeeves books by Woodehouse, Wool books by Hugh Howey. I really don't want sad or difficult premise/war. I do enjoy those books occasionally but I'm not in a good place for sad KWIM. Also, I don't like erotica or lots of obsceneties, but it doesn't have to be a Christian book.

Any favorites that fit that description?

I really enjoyed the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries by Carrie Bebris last year. If you like P&P, you'd probably enjoy them. They were my relaxation books. The first one is on their honeymoon so there is a bit of a wink, but nothing graphic, and the remaining novels move on. The first few also rely on supernatural happenings, but the next few are a bit more realistic.

Classic children's novels, especially those from other countries, can be fun when you're stressed. The Penderwicks is cute too. Tom's Midnight Garden. Momo.

I'll go through several fairy tales too. 13 Treasures. The Princess and the Goblin.

Terry Pratchett can be amusing in a wry way. Guards! Guards!

In addition to The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers, you might enjoy...

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (some like this book, others do not; I totally enjoyed it)

The Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs (or other books by him)

I just finished 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith. I saw a review on Goodreads comparing it to Seinfeld--quirky characters in a story about nothing. Some would find it hard to read as it was originally released as a serial so the chapters are very short. There were a couple of spots where I got a flavor of AA Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh.

I've also enjoyed his No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and Portuguese Irregular Verbs series. If you like audiobooks all these are very well done.

A favorite of mine is the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi which are a light enjoyable read. It is a series of about six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back.

Start with The Little World of Don Camillo. The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.

Regards,

Kareni