Menu

Who can fill the Ryan Gosling void?

Mom in High Heels

In case you haven't heard, Ryan Gosling is stepping away from movies for a while. I know many of you love Ryan Gosling and there will be mass weeping over this. Not being a huge Ryan Gosling fan (though I don't dislike him, so don't hurl things at me), it's no great loss for me, but I happened to read an article about 10 actors who might fill the void. I completely agree with #1.

Who can fill the RG void?

What says the hive?

#1 or #10...all the teenage girls I know would vote this way too!

Yeah, I was going to say #10 until I saw #1, who is my 13yo's one true love. It's going to be interesting watching the new Star Trek movie since she's probably going to be cheering for the villain.

ETA: My main affection for Ryan Gosling is the meme. As long as that lives on I'm okay with him leaving movies.

After reading the list, the only conclusion I can draw is that I am older than I thought. Those guys are all really young!

My second conclusion was the definition of manly looks sure has changed. These guys all look a bit fussy and delicate. However my 16 yo dd says the winner should be Cumberbatch.

I've only seen a few Gosling films, I know him better from "Hey Girl". Looking at the list, I know of a few, love a few, meh about a few. Jim Sturgess has surprised me in a few of his roles. I think he has that aloof coyness while still being sort-of charismatic that Gosling seems to exude.

My second conclusion was the definition of manly looks sure has changed. These guys all look a bit fussy and delicate. However my 16 yo dd says the winner should be Cumberbatch.

I remember reading an article about that a few years ago, that leading men used to be more manly, and are now more effeminate. The authors had a theory about why this is so, but I don't recall what it was. I think it had something to do with hormone disruption in the ecosystem, but I could be totally wrong.

After reading the list, the only conclusion I can draw is that I am older than I thought. Those guys are all really young!

That was my reaction too. Who are all of these little boys? ;)

I'm not a huge Gosling fan, although I must say I really enjoyed him in Crazy Stupid Love. If I had to replace him, it wouldn't be with any of the guys on this list. I recently discovered Chris Hemsworth. How about him? Tends to star in more science fiction/fantasy movies, but he could easily cross over.

It cracks me up that they've set up a Ryan Gosling hotline to ease fans through this difficult time. :smilielol5:

And I don't even know who he is, so I'm not sure what that makes me.

What? What? This will not do! Hie thyself to Amazon Prime or Netflix and start watching BBC's Sherlock right away. Also, mark May 17th on your calendar so you can go see Star Trek.

And I don't even know who he is, so I'm not sure what that makes me.

Are you kidding? Please tell me you're kidding.

What? What? This will not do! Hie thyself to Amazon Prime or Netflix and start watching BBC's Sherlock right away. Also, mark May 17th on your calendar so you can go see Star Trek.

PREACH IT SISTER! QValencia, you need to lock yourself in a room with a TV and watch Sherlock uninterrupted. BC is sheer genius. Not to mention pretty. And the voice! Ah, the voice.

My second conclusion was the definition of manly looks sure has changed. These guys all look a bit fussy and delicate.

I am so very, very glad I'm not the only one with these reactions. LOL! These boys seem so very different from the heartthrobs of my generation :)

PREACH IT SISTER! QValencia, you need to lock yourself in a room with a TV and watch Sherlock uninterrupted. BC is sheer genius. Not to mention pretty. And the voice! Ah, the voice.

I've also never heard of Sherlock. Sounds like an intervention may be in order.

Oh yeah, the voice.

I just re-watched the latest movie clip.

"I am better."

"At what?"

"Everything."

(Which, by the way, answers why he would be chosen as the RG replacement over Chris Pine, for those who wondered about that.)

Hmmm... Unfortunately, I'm going with none of the above. Although BC is my age, the others all seem super young.

MIHH, I hope you don't mind if I add to the options.... :D

I found this list of rather pretty faces on IMDB, and while I don't agree with all of them, the choices are much better, LOL!!

http://www.imdb.com/list/e5XDjKIDrhs/

The list wasn't in response to Ryan Gosling or anything, but I think it works for our purposes....

Seriously? Most of that batch is pretty sad, and they nearly all look like babies. Color me unimpressed.

And Channing Tatum? Ick.

"Ick" to Channing Tatum? WHAT???? Really?!?!?!? I'd add in the fainting emoticon if I could find it.

I cannot possibly see one single solitary thing that is "ick" about him. Those eyes. The dimples. The strong, masculine jawline. That body.

Oh, and that body.

Sigh.

Ok, so if CT is ick, along with the rest of that (horrible) initially proposed batch, who's your taste?

Hmmm... Unfortunately, I'm going with none of the above. Although BC is my age, the others all seem super young.

MIHH, I hope you don't mind if I add to the options.... :D

I found this list of rather pretty faces on IMDB, and while I don't agree with all of them, the choices are much better, LOL!!

http://www.imdb.com/list/e5XDjKIDrhs/

The list wasn't in response to Ryan Gosling or anything, but I think it works for our purposes....

Well that was a nice list. Some of them do look like babies, some are nearer my age. Wait, we were supposed to start school five minutes ago. Must go find my student.

"Ick" to Channing Tatum? WHAT???? Really?!?!?!? I'd add in the fainting emoticon if I could find it.

I cannot possibly see one single solitary thing that is "ick" about him. Those eyes. The dimples. The strong, masculine jawline. That body.

Oh, and that body.

Sigh.

Ok, so if CT is ick, along with the rest of that (horrible) initially proposed batch, who's your taste?

I agree that his bod is rather, um, pleasing to the eyes, but there is something about him that just doesn't sit well. I don't know why. I don't think he's unattractive, but for some reason he is just kinda ick. Of course seeing those pics of him from back when he was a stripper didn't help; he was disgusting.

IDK about being a Ryan Gosling substitute (RG hasn't always been my favorite, though a lot of his on-screen personas are awesome), but I like the overall appearance of Josh Duhamel. He's my crush. He certainly doesn't have the acting ability RG has, but looking at him really makes me happy. :drool: