Menu

Soph, nasty injury.... graphic pic warning.

This is Hacinta's back leg. Have you ever seen anything like this? It started off about the size of a half dollar, looked like someone very neatly cut a plug out of her. Now it's bigger in diameter, bulging out and angry. Although her leg was swollen at first it isn't now, I don't think this is an injury, it was so......precise.

My vet (without coming to look, don't get me started on this woman), said she's got an infection from it being wet???? Her pasture is dry. She said to watch it til Monday and she'd take a look. I think she's full of crap.

I haven't seen anything like this before. I'm keeping scarlett oil on it and taking her in first thing Monday. Any ideas?

August2008038.jpg

Not Soph, but my dog has something almost exactly like that. He took antibiotics for 10 days and then we just had to let it heal. All of his hair came off, it was pretty nasty for awhile, but we are about a month later and it is almost totally healed.

His spot was 6 inches by 8 inches, though.

I can't really tell because the picture is quite close. My other guess would be some type of "bump" wound - like into a metal fence part or something like that.

I'd probably put some type of antibiotic ointment on it, but wouldn't cover it.

Very strange.

One of my horses has been coming in at night with scrapes on his chin. I have no idea where he is getting them. Nothing serious, but very odd.

Good grief, we're not that bad yet, but if my dang vet cared at all we'd be on antibiotics already. Maybe I should check my stash and see what I have.

If I still had all my estrogen and a brain to go along with it I would remember what we always use at the Therapeutic Riding Center. It's green. Isn't this helpful? :001_huh:

Makes me so mad when I cannot remember names of things.

Google "proud flesh, horses". Something's got to come up and you can probably pick it up at your local feed store. The one I am thinking of does not require a prescription.

If I still had all my estrogen and a brain to go along with it I would remember what we always use at the Therapeutic Riding Center. It's green. Isn't this helpful? :001_huh:

Makes me so mad when I cannot remember names of things.

Google "proud flesh, horses". Something's got to come up and you can probably pick it up at your local feed store. The one I am thinking of does not require a prescription.

I remembered it: GRANULEX

Could it be a spider bite? Or a snake bite? I had a mare once who had a very, very similar injury....I doctored it myself for a bit, then it went proud and my vet prescribed HEAVY DUTY antibiotics and daily scrubbings with betadine. We never knew for sure what caused it but my vet suspected it was some kind of bite.

Poor baby......hope she heals up quickly!

Hugs,

Astrid

Could it be some kind of fungal or bacterial hot spot? Regardless of what it is, a Betadine wash probably wouldn't hurt. Does it seem itchy or oozing? Is the general area swollen or hot? How deep is the infection? Are there any noticeable punctures--could it be snakebite?

We had one mare who had some pretty bad places on her when we adopted her. At first we thought they were manure scalds, based on where she had come from. Over time, we learned that the problem was actually an allergic reaction. She was allergic to lots of things and when she would get a fly bite, it would swell and itch so she would rub it and that would present as a raw spot similar to the photo but dry in nature. Then the spot would get infected and start to ooze. She could look fine one day and show up for dinner the next with several big spots on the verge of infection and all of her mane and tail rubbed out. I went through a lot of Betadine, WoundKote, and Corona with that old girl. Eventually we put her on TriHist granules allergy meds and 99% of the problems cleared right up. But we had to constantly maintain her on it or we would see other allergy sypmtoms (runny nose, wheezing, she even got pneumonia one February from not the dust but the pollens in the hay we were feeding). HTH

Hi Remudamom,

Sorry, didn't see this till just now. It's proud flesh (granulation tissue) as far as I can tell (good pic by the way). Horses tend to be overexuberant in their reaction to a wound and put down proud flesh like nobody's business. So I can't tell you what initially caused it but I can tell you what your vet might do on Monday. It needs to be debrided, cut back down below skin level, otherwise the skin will not contract and reepitheliaze over it. She might do this with a razor, a blade, or chemically. Personally I like the surgical method better than chemical. The proud flesh is typically resistant to infection, but there might be an infection underneath. It will bleed a lot when it gets debrided. Sometimes these are so large that the horse ends up needing a skin graft or punch graft from its flank but this looks like a small one.

Just keep it clean with betadine until she can do something with it.

I will warn you it will be a long time before that leg looks normal and she might end up with a scar.

One caveat: if there is any deeper injury, like bruised bone, she could have a sequestrum and that area will keep weeping, never really heal after months. It all depends on what cause the original trauma. A sequestrum is a dead piece of bone and the skin over it stays "nasty" until the dead bone is removed. They can be seen on radiographs a few weeks into the deal, not usually right away.

Hope that info helps. Keep me posted!

Soph

My daughter's horse kept getting a wound on the front of her "ankles" (I am not a horse person and don't know the lingo, and she is in bed). They kept getting proud flesh in them. We had vets out and tried everything, it took over a year to finally get it to go completely away. What we finally did was give up on the vets and searched the net. We found this product called Equaide. You can research it on http://www.equaide.com . It works miracles!! If it was us, we would use this before calling the vet. The only problem is there aren't very many places that carry it and it's expensive, but so very worth it. A little goes a long way. I hope that she heals quickly!

I was going to say proud flesh too and then read all the other replies. Man, I feel sorry for that poor horse and for you Remudamom. I must say you did an excellent job of taking pictures of it. I've seen pictures on Craigslist where someone is selling something and the picture is so blurry you could not tell beans what it was. Maybe you can get another career in taking pictures of odd/gross stuff? Just kidding, but I do hope your horse gets better quickly.

Thanks Soph and everyone!

Hacinta is such a sweetheart that she lets me handle her foot and is really good about it. I think we'll just load her up in the morning and show up without an appointment....if we don't get there early it'll be hot and miserable.

Tlcmom, we'll see if we can get any Equiaide, but I do want her to cut off the protruding part. Thanks.