Menu

MOG - Can I wear pants?

bobbeym

DS's wedding is 1 month from today and I really need help figuring out what to wear. The bride already lives with us (she's the DD in my sig) and there's a very high chance that nobody from her family will be attending.

It's a daytime semi-formal church wedding with reception following at the same location. The bride is wearing a floor length, strapless gown w/o a train. The groom is wearing a zoot suite with purple vest and tie. The best man is wearing dress blues. The maid of honor is wearing a dark purple knee-length dress. The ushers and FOG are wearing dress pants with a white shirt and purple ties, no jackets (I don't think).

I have a pair of black palazza pants like these, which I absolutely LOVE. Do you think anything would think oddly of me if I wore pants paired with a dressy blouse, something like this or this? DD doesn't care what color I wear, or really even what I wear, as long as I'm happy with it. I'd like to go with something neutral in gray or silver or a light shade of purple. My budget is $50-80.

I should add that I absolutely *hate* dresses. I'm pretty sure the last time I wore a dress was at my own wedding.

Work your magic please, Hive, and give me some more suggestions!

I love the pants and the tops are both just gorgeous. I think the first top would be a bit more flattering -- it gives you more of a waist which will balance out the full pants nicely.

You will be a very classy, elegant, and comfy mother of the groom. Have fun!

Your situation is more unique, but in truth the answer is still the same: whatever the bride wants you to wear. If you have time take her shopping with you, show her the pants. Buy whatever she wants you to wear and don't give the slightest hint you don't like it.

DS's wedding is 1 month from today and I really need help figuring out what to wear. The bride already lives with us (she's the DD in my sig) and there's a very high chance that nobody from her family will be attending.

It's a daytime semi-formal church wedding with reception following at the same location. The bride is wearing a floor length, strapless gown w/o a train. The groom is wearing a zoot suite with purple vest and tie. The best man is wearing dress blues. The maid of honor is wearing a dark purple knee-length dress. The ushers and FOG are wearing dress pants with a white shirt and purple ties, no jackets (I don't think).

I have a pair of black palazza pants like these, which I absolutely LOVE. Do you think anything would think oddly of me if I wore pants paired with a dressy blouse, something like this or this? DD doesn't care what color I wear, or really even what I wear, as long as I'm happy with it. I'd like to go with something neutral in gray or silver or a light shade of purple. My budget is $50-80.

I should add that I absolutely *hate* dresses. I'm pretty sure the last time I wore a dress was at my own wedding.

Work your magic please, Hive, and give me some more suggestions!

Generally, IMHO, dresses are still more appropriate for weddings than pants, because a wedding is just that special. :-) However, given the attire of the FOG and ushers, I think the kind of pants you have are fine. The second top you linked is dressier; I'd go with that.

FTR, you are under no obligation to get the bride's approval. :-)

Thanks y'all. It's nice to feel validated and not overly strange for a change.

I did ask the bride what she wants me to wear and her response still remains the same: whatever you like and want to wear. She won't even tell her maid of honor/best friend what to wear, other than that her dress has to be purple. She did tell DS that she had veto rights on his outfit b/c he's a little odd so that made sense. (She did approve of his suit with an eye roll.) At one point I had made a comment about *not* wanting to wearing purple since the bridal party will be in purple, and she looked aghast that I wouldn't wear something in my favorite color simply b/c it would match them! :lol:

My mom called me to meet her for a lunch time shopping spree and I found a cute blouse from K&G. I'll have to take a picture to share since it's not on their website, but it's a short sleeve tunic with shirring that's made out of the same fabric as my dress pants. The tag said it was 'lavender' but it's really more of a light purple taupe so it should compliment well. I think it'll do just fine if I dress it up with some chunky sparkly jewelry and heels. If not, I still have a nice blouse for work and time to find something else.

I did ask the bride what she wants me to wear and her response still remains the same: whatever you like and want to wear. She won't even tell her maid of honor/best friend what to wear, other than that her dress has to be purple. She did tell DS that she had veto rights on his outfit b/c he's a little odd so that made sense. (She did approve of his suit with an eye roll.) At one point I had made a comment about *not* wanting to wearing purple since the bridal party will be in purple, and she looked aghast that I wouldn't wear something in my favorite color simply b/c it would match them! :lol:

Clearly, your future dil was brought up properly. :thumbup: This bodes well for your future grandchildren. :D

I would have never thought to dictate what my mom and mil wore.

I would like to believe that you are the norm, but there is evidence to the contrary. Some brides can be very controlling.

It sounds like this one is not which is an excellent sign for more things than just the wedding.

Clearly, your future dil was brought up properly. :thumbup: This bodes well for your future grandchildren. :D

I would like to believe that you are the norm, but there is evidence to the contrary. Some brides can be very controlling.

It sounds like this one is not which is an excellent sign for more things than just the wedding.

DD is an absolute doll. She grew up in an overly harsh, abusive, manipulative household as a young girl. She got away from the physical abuse, but the emotional abuse and manipulation continued until last year. Her mom used to think it was funny to hide the pain meds she used to have to take for severe back problems. :cursing: <--That was me when she lived there. But even through all that, she has turned into a beautiful and sweet young lady with a heart for the Lord.

She and DS met when they were 11 and started "dating" when they were 12. Even at that age, it was obvious there was something special there. She moved away to CA when she was 14 and both kids were *devastated*. All I could do was hold my own boy in my arms while he cried on my shoulder, telling him if it was truly meant to be they'd find they way back to each other. By the time they were 15.5, they had reconnected and spent the next 2.5 years texting non-stop as they solidified their friendship. I remember one month DS had 55K+ texts on his phone bill and 99% of them were to or from her. We made plans for her to move in with us once she turned 18 (I wouldn't have put it past her mom to charge us with kidnapping had we moved her down sooner) and flew her down for DS's high school grad last year. She's lived with us since 5/31/12 so she KNOWS what she's getting herself into by marrying into this family, but she still wants to be one of us. :hurray: I absolutely adore her and have considered her one of my own since before I even picked her up from the airport.

P.S.: Here's the picture of my new blouse.

20130411_215247.jpg

Love the blouse.

What a terrible life for your dil, and what a blessing you are to her!!! It is apparently your training and not her bio-donors' that is making her into such a well-mannered young woman. Congratulations, in more way than one. :-)

Personally, I think it would depend on the material of the pants. There are dressy pants that would look fine paired with the blouse and there are pants that are too casual for a wedding IMHO. I have a pair of dressy pants that I wear with a silver cardigan similar to the one in your original post . OTOH, I have several pairs of black pants that I wouldn't wear to a formal event because the material is more casual-looking.

What shoes are you going to wear? Dressy, strappy, heels with pants and a blouse can be a great look for a formal event, IMO.

Most likely a silver sandal. Unfortunately, I wear a 9-9.5 wide and can't wear above a 3" heel so the shoe seach won't come easy.