Menu

Why Name Your Homeschool?

PachiSusan

I have always wondered about having a name for our home school. Nothing seems to fit with us right now so we haven't chosen one yet. If I asked my daughter, it would be Minecraft, Pony, or Fairy related. I just don't want to go there.

Why do YOU have a name, and would you share it and why you chose it? Maybe it will help us find a name that fits OR give up and just be us. LOL

Some states require it.

Also, it's on forms occasionally where even though you've filled out that you're homeschooling, you have to additionally fill out the name of the school.

I just named ours after our house style and sort of after my blog, so if it comes up on a form, I put down Rowhouse School. Some people are way more creative and have the kids pick or have really funny or clever names.

Some states require it.

Also, it's on forms occasionally where even though you've filled out that you're homeschooling, you have to additionally fill out the name of the school.

I just named ours after our house style and sort of after my blog, so if it comes up on a form, I put down Rowhouse School. Some people are way more creative and have the kids pick or have really funny or clever names.

Ohhh, I never thought of that. I haven't run across having to do that yet.

For us, it was because my DD wanted the same kind of "school stuff" her cousins and dance friends had-and by school stuff, she meant a name, a t-shirt, a mascot, a bumper sticker for mom's minivan, Etc."Home Life Academy" (our cover school). Wasn't doing it.

She's a mythology nut, and picked Mount Parnassus Academy ( and that she's in the ELEMENTARY school) and the hydra as a mascot. She picks a class theme each year, and we spend some time buying/creating decorations, too. Two years ago, it was dragons. This year it's frogs. She's decided on lizards and alligators next year. (Teaching stores are short on cute snakes, so she compromised). This year, I've been teaching Algebra and Latin to a half dozen stuffed amphibians( and a tank of live ones).

Our state requires a name for our school, so that is why we picked one. But, even if it didn't, we would have needed a name when I signed up for the Barnes & Noble educators card, IIRC. We have school colors (brick red/burgandy and gray, which ironically is very close to our favorite college colors) and a mascot (tortoise - slow and steady wins the race). One year we made ID cards for fun, and I've purchased them school-color polos before, though they just wear them whenever. The older two boys went through a phase a couple years ago when they wanted more of the trappings of going to school without having to go to school. I think that has pretty much faded.

My state (California) required it. I didn't ask my dc's opinions the first three or four years; I named it "Freedom Learning Center." I was all about John Holt, and not needing a place called a "school" for my dc to learn. :D Our last year in San Diego, my dc confessed that they couldn't tell people they went to Freedom Learning Center, so that year the school name was "Southeast San Diego Christian Academy." Woohoo!

We moved to the other end of the state; the first year it was Blossom Valley Christian School (our neighborhood was Blossom Valley). The following year, I started a PSP (private school satellite program--sort of an umbrella school), and named it Plantation Christian School. I got the idea from Psalm 1:1-3: "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers." I had this mental picture of all these families like little plantations of trees firmly planted by streams of water, being brought up to delight in the law of the Lord. Our handbook was "Poor Ray's Almanac," because, you know, every farmer needs an almanac, and Ray is Mr. Ellie's real name. :-) Our newsletter was "Seedtime and Harvest" (Genesis 8:22). And there was a really kewl tree graphic I could use for lots of things, lol.

Over the years, I developed some thoughts on which school names might be better than others. I don't think people should use their last names; the school name should be something that a 13yo young man would be able to say without blushing; it should be something that would look good on a transcript, especially if the children transfer into a campus-based school; and it should look good on a high school diploma. I also don't think the school name has to incorporate all of one's religious beliefs, and it's better if there isn't an existing campus-based school in the area with the same name.

I home educated in California from K up to last quarter when we moved to Nevada. I never knew you had to name the school!! :ohmy: Do you think because I was schooling through Seton that the paperwork they did for me just reflected that she was going to Seton School in Virginia??

I love your school name and why. That's kind of why I never named ours yet - I wanted something that MEANT something, ya know?

My state (California) required it. I didn't ask my dc's opinions the first three or four years; I named it "Freedom Learning Center." I was all about John Holt, and not needing a place called a "school" for my dc to learn. :D Our last year in San Diego, my dc confessed that they couldn't tell people they went to Freedom Learning Center, so that year the school name was "Southeast San Diego Christian Academy." Woohoo!

We moved to the other end of the state; the first year it was Blossom Valley Christian School (our neighborhood was Blossom Valley). The following year, I started a PSP (private school satellite program--sort of an umbrella school), and named it Plantation Christian School. I got the idea from Psalm 1:1-3: "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers." I had this mental picture of all these families like little plantations of trees firmly planted by streams of water, being brought up to delight in the law of the Lord. Our handbook was "Poor Ray's Almanac," because, you know, every farmer needs an almanac, and Ray is Mr. Ellie's real name. :-) Our newsletter was "Seedtime and Harvest" (Genesis 8:22). And there was a really kewl tree graphic I could use for lots of things, lol.

Over the years, I developed some thoughts on which school names might be better than others. I don't think people should use their last names; the school name should be something that a 13yo young man would be able to say without blushing; it should be something that would look good on a transcript, especially if the children transfer into a campus-based school; and it should look good on a high school diploma. I also don't think the school name has to incorporate all of one's religious beliefs, and it's better if there isn't an existing campus-based school in the area with the same name.

I did it just because I thought it was fun. It's basically OUR STREET NAME School of Classical Education. Our street is also the last name of a famous British children's author so it was kind of a fun play on that also.

There's only about five houses on our street so I don't want to post what it is on the internet because I know I've posted my city in threads before and with the street name and city it'll darn near take you to my front door. I don't really want the 56 year old guy living in his mom's basement pretending to be a homeschool mom who hates Singapore math to show up at my house one day. :laugh:

Our state requires a name for our school, so that is why we picked one. But, even if it didn't, we would have needed a name when I signed up for the Barnes & Noble educators card, IIRC. We have school colors (brick red/burgandy and gray, which ironically is very close to our favorite college colors) and a mascot (tortoise - slow and steady wins the race). One year we made ID cards for fun, and I've purchased them school-color polos before, though they just wear them whenever. The older two boys went through a phase a couple years ago when they wanted more of the trappings of going to school without having to go to school. I think that has pretty much faded.

They might have liked the thing I saw on tv last year. The mum made them all put on school uniforms, say goodbye, walk out the front door up the street, turn round and come back inside and sit at the kitchen table to start school. While they were doing that she changed from mother to teacher.

I home educated in California from K up to last quarter when we moved to Nevada. I never knew you had to name the school!! :ohmy: Do you think because I was schooling through Seton that the paperwork they did for me just reflected that she was going to Seton School in Virginia??

I love your school name and why. That's kind of why I never named ours yet - I wanted something that MEANT something, ya know?

I just checked the Seton website, and it seems that someone there had the wherewithal to file an affidavit in California. This is good, because if that were not the case, your dc would have been truant, as children not enrolled in public school must be enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit in California (Sections 48222 and 33190 of the Education Code). That means no, you would not have named your school, because your dd was enrolled in Seton California. The affidavit, BTW, does not list the names of the students enrolled, only the number of children in each grade. The state has no record of your dd at all; presumably, Seton has a cumulative file for your dd, though.

I just checked the Seton website, and it seems that someone there had the wherewithal to file an affidavit in California. This is good, because if that were not the case, your dc would have been truant, as children not enrolled in public school must be enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit in California (Sections 48222 and 33190 of the Education Code). That means no, you would not have named your school, because your dd was enrolled in Seton California. The affidavit, BTW, does not list the names of the students enrolled, only the number of children in each grade. The state has no record of your dd at all; presumably, Seton has a cumulative file for your dd, though.

Yay!! That's exactly how I wanted it to work. :) They told me they file all the paperwork for me, but I got scared for a moment! LOL

Yay!! That's exactly how I wanted it to work. :) They told me they file all the paperwork for me, but I got scared for a moment! LOL

No worries, especially since you don't live in Cali any longer. :-)

Of course, they didn't actually "file all the paperwork" for you. They filed one affidavit between October 1 and 15 each year with the number of children in each grade, the number of teachers, whether it was an all-girl, all-boy, or co-ed school, full-time day school or boarding school, and so on. :-)

Hmmm... We are in California and are going through a charter homeschool so we could use that name if asked where they go, but usually I just say we homeschool. My dd, 5, has become more confident about this lately and has taken to telling people " mommy's my teacher. I can't think of a name and my kids'd come up with something silly.

We have to have one, so sayeth the state.

And I've got to decide soon because we have to register this coming summer/fall...

I've gone through a ton of name combinations and we're probably going to use one we said we wouldn't: [town name] + [geographical term]. DH thinks it sounds like a fancy private school, haha. (He thought my other top contender sounded "country.") :D

They might have liked the thing I saw on tv last year. The mum made them all put on school uniforms, say goodbye, walk out the front door up the street, turn round and come back inside and sit at the kitchen table to start school. While they were doing that she changed from mother to teacher.

My DD has a school uniform-a plaid pleated skirt (pink and black) that we picked up at a consignment sale, and a polo shirt with a DD-drawn hydra and the school name embroidered on it. DH and I have the same shirt in our sizes. For awhile, she'd wear it practically daily for the couple of hours we did school. Now she wears it for field trips to more formal venues, and usually for the first day of co-op or outside classes.

I will admit, it bothers me when we go as a homeschool group to venues like plays or museums and the school groups are in uniform (even public schools do the plain solid colored polo in white or the school color and khaki pants around here, private schools and charter schools do more) and the homeschoolers just plain look like they rolled out of bed-so I'm kind of glad my DD enjoys playing "Dress up".

I will admit, it bothers me when we go as a homeschool group to venues like plays or museums and the school groups are in uniform (even public schools do the plain solid colored polo in white or the school color and khaki pants around here, private schools and charter schools do more) and the homeschoolers just plain look like they rolled out of bed-so I'm kind of glad my DD enjoys playing "Dress up".

Except the ones I have been to - the homeschoolers might not LOOK so great, but we are quiet and well behaved while those that look all coordinated are loud. Very loud. My kids comment on it every. single. play. we go see!

We don't have a name - I use our umbrella if I need a name. I feel somewhat uncreative in that regard!

Our state requires us to have a name. (One friend named hers Hogwarts.) It doesn't matter if there are hundreds with the same name - they need a name.)

Ours is Our Street Name Academy, like a PP. My (older) kids are trained to answer with that name when other kids or adults ask where they go to school. They can rattle that answer off much quicker than what grade they are in. (They always look at me like, 'What's the right answer for this situation?')

My kids have a mascot (Puss in Boots doing his Big Eye Look), a motto, and a saying. The latter are all things they thought up on their own. I can't get 'em shirts with their mascot because the images are copyrighted. Otherwise, we'd have outfits to wear when we go on field trips. ;-)

I'm very uncreative. Mine is just my last name Home School. It's not really official. I've just put it down when ordering things and they require a school name. I don't think my state requires a name. I could be wrong. I really haven't had to do anything with my state yet, since nothing is required for K.

Some states require it.

We file as a private school, so we have to have a name, which for us is OakLeaf Academy. Ds coined it when he was 5!

Interesting post. I was wondering the other night (during a bout of insomnia) what I would name our afterschool homeschool. I'm vacillating between Izmir Academy, Smyrna Academy and Homer's House of Learning. OK, the third one is just silliness. I think I'll go with Izmir Academy. If I ever need to, I can say she's "dual enrolled", right? :)

This is why I buy my boys plain polo shirts in various colors every fall when they go on sale. If we have to go out during a school day, they throw on a clean polo shirt and we avoid the whole "just rolled out of bed" look.

Our last name means "Bent Grass Meadow," but Indy said meadow sounds too girly, so I left that out. Our school is called Bent Grass Preparatory School. Indy said we should add "For Boys" at the end, since I have 2 boys. He's working on a school crest and Latin motto. He want me to have it put on a polo shirt for when we go on field trips.

our state requires it.

Ours is Twin Oaks Academy. We often do our schoolwork in warm weather under the two oak trees in our backyard. It's our favorite place to do our schoolwork.

I'm also not very inventive or imaginative...

Then that would be the perfect name.

We have to have one, so sayeth the state.

And I've got to decide soon because we have to register this coming summer/fall...

I've gone through a ton of name combinations and we're probably going to use one we said we wouldn't: [town name] + [geographical term]. DH thinks it sounds like a fancy private school, haha. (He thought my other top contender sounded "country.") :D

Hmm, "geographical term"? So, Houston Hogbacks, or the Denver Divide? Arlington Anticline?

Oh, wait -- my brain is stuck in geology.

What sort of "geographical term"s?

Hmm, "geographical term"? So, Houston Hogbacks, or the Denver Divide? Arlington Anticline?

Oh, wait -- my brain is stuck in geology.

What sort of "geographical term"s?

LOL, geographical term might be incorrect. Topographical? Physical landscape term? IDK.... Hills, Crest, Mountain, Valley, River, etc.

So, for us: Chatham Hills Academy.

:p