Menu

I'm not-dog-saavy. I need help choosing a puppy from a large litter. Are there personality traits that typify a gender?

Alia_in_FL

My son is age 7 and we're letting him get a puppy. The neighbor's Bassett Hound female "married" a Rat Terrier male and they had 9 puppies. They're adorable.

I've met both parents and they are both sweet & friendly.

Whichever we get will be spay/neutered early, so now which gender?

Are there personality traits that typify one gender or the other? Are males more aggressive? Is one typically more "yappy"? Any advice / words of wisdom?

In this litter there are 5 girls and 4 boys so we have plenty to choose from and we get first dibs.

How do you pick a puppy?

(I don't like yappy dogs; can you tell this early if one's prone to this?)

FWIW, this will be an outdoor dog that will have free range of our 6 acres (all fenced in): and he/she will get to come in and sleep inside at nighttime.

If you're getting to meet all the puppies and decide, why not decide based on the puppy's personality instead of gender? Even if most males were aggressive (not in my experience) it doesn't really matter what most of them are like, if you get one that's the exception.

In my unasked-for opinion, I probably wouldn't plan on a puppy being an outdoor dog if you're not particularly knowledgeable about dogs in general. It makes it more likely that the dog won't be socialized and then you can end up with behavior problems later on. I think it's a little different when you've had dogs all your life and you're adding a barn dog to the crew you already have than it is to get your first puppy and plan on only having it in the house to sleep at night. You might also need the dog inside more frequently during the summer in your climate, so I'd make sure you were comfortable with that. I only know as much about you as you've shared in this post though, so I could be wrong. :) Our dogs are generally housepets, although I know there are very many happy outdoor dogs out there.

Our best dog ever was in a kennel with a bunch of other puppies (at the pound). He was sitting in the corner watching all the other dogs jump around like maniacs. He grew up into the calmest dog ever. There was no question when we chose him - calm is fantastic.

If you're getting to meet all the puppies and decide, why not decide based on the puppy's personality instead of gender? Even if most males were aggressive (not in my experience) it doesn't really matter what most of them are like, if you get one that's the exception.

In my unasked-for opinion, I probably wouldn't plan on a puppy being an outdoor dog if you're not particularly knowledgeable about dogs in general. It makes it more likely that the dog won't be socialized and then you can end up with behavior problems later on. I think it's a little different when you've had dogs all your life and you're adding a barn dog to the crew you already have than it is to get your first puppy and plan on only having it in the house to sleep at night. You might also need the dog inside more frequently during the summer in your climate, so I'd make sure you were comfortable with that. I only know as much about you as you've shared in this post though, so I could be wrong. :) Our dogs are generally housepets, although I know there are very many happy outdoor dogs out there.

We are outside/outdoors all the time. We have 2 cats, 1 elderly dog (the dog is 15 years old and we inherited him recently when an elderly neighbor died and left him; this dog doesn't allow kids to touch him without yipping so I'm not going to assume all males are like this dog), 21 fish, 14 chickens, 9 guinea fowl and we're outside ALOT (for about 3 hours a day as I garden) so the dog will be hanging out with us alot. Plus we have a huge screened in porch with fans that he can get in on hot days. I haven't ruled out the dog having a doggie door that he can come in the house (in the mud room) to cool as he/she wants.

We have had no luck with Male dogs and we avoid them now. I would suggest letting your son visit the litter of puppies. If one of them comes to him, that is an excellent sign. If a puppy shies away from your son, not a good sign. Look for one that is friendly, that enjoys being petted, and that enjoys your son picking him up and holding him and petting him (VERY carefully and VERY gently!). GL

P.S.

We have nine (9) dogs. One is a Male who was neutered. We took in a Male Lab that had been neutered, but he did not work out and we had to place him with another family. We also, recently, considered taking in a nice Male dog whose owners no longer wanted him, but he did not fit in and we had to find another home for him, where he is the only dog there.

I had always read that females don't run away like males.

Then I had a male Golden Retiever who would rather die than leave my side, and a female terrier who would run to Canada if I let her. Go figure.

I say sit with the puppies and see which one adopts you. It's a method that's worked great for us!

Go with your gut! You or your son will feel a connection.

When I was around 10 we got our first dog (a poodle) my dad picked her because she crawled up in his lap and went to sleep. He wanted a relaxed/chilled out dog as he put it. She was a great dog. She was the right fit for us.

We have a Corgi/Spinger Spanial mix. A male. He is awesome, great with kids. VERY protective of "his girls" however he is not good with cats or many other dogs. We are a two family household and the other family has a female boxer and a male Great Dane. He gets along fine with both, if he is outside with The GD or inside with the boxer. If He and the GD are inside together they are too playful(knocking things over etc.) . Outside the boxer attacks him for being to playful. All 3 together they get all crazy on him so we basically drive ourselves insane daily with dog logistics lol. That's a lot of extra information but if you plan on adding other pets (which if I had the space you do I'd have a mini zoo lol)

Rat terriers are hunters and will probably not ever be safe to be around your chickens. Plus they tend to be a yappy breed in general. bassetts are large dogs with a hunting nature that bay. You have a mix so knowing what sound will come of a baying and yappy dog parents is completely unknown.\

Picking the puppy based on personality will probably be a good choice for you but your training of the puppy will really make the puppy turn into the dog that you and your family want. So find a good puppy training class, get your children and puppy into a dog 4-H club and you should have a well rounded puppy turn into a well rounded adult dog.

Have fun!

I had pick of the males when we got our German Shepherd six years ago. There were five males and they were all sleeping when we arrived. I chose Rem because he was the most difficult one to wake up! Once we got him awake he was playful and happy to be with us but he was the most easy going puppy of the five. When I take him with me to run errands people always comment about how mellow he is. I had him with me one time when I went to get new tires for my van and the guys at the shop were amazed at how Rem just sat quietly with me and then decided to nap while we waited. He will do his police dog act if someone pulls up in the driveway or walks onto our property but with his family he is very calm. After my experience with Rem I think I will always pick the mellow puppy.

Oh my goodness! They're SO cute!

We recently got a puppy, and we let her pick us. We were always taught to let the animal pick you, and the one time we did not do this, we had the worst experience with that animal.

From what we've heard, (of course there are many theories) female dogs are calmer and more serious, but sometimes harder to train, while male dogs are more fun but more destructive overall. So far our female has fit this description. She's sweet as can be and listens well once she allows herself to be trained, but she has a stubborn streak a mile long. She is far more relaxed than our neighbor's male and my sister's male.

Not sure if any of this helped you! Best wishes choosing from that adorable litter!

You all have given me our strategy. We're going to follow this advice and spend some time with them and observe and see which one fits us and which one takes to us (esp to my son).

Focus on observing behavior and personality rather than looking at the gender so much and seeing who "meshes" with us. Good advice! Thanks!

I say figure out what you want out of a dog and go for the one showing those traits already. We just adopted a pair of German shepherd mixes from the pound because they were both mellow, relaxed dogs but that is what we were looking for. They both do the "big bad dog" act when strangers come up but they both want belly rubs and to sleep at our feet. If we were really active they wouldn't be the dogs for us.

We also have a very determined Shih Tzu/Chihuahua/Rat Terrier that we didn't take this advice with and ended up with a dog much more active/destructive that doesn't fit in with our family very well. A family member is going to take him as they are perfect with each other.

I know you said.you are outside a lot during the day, and I would absolutely have the pup out with you then, but then he needs to come inside with you while he is little. That way you can keep him safe. He will be a newborn animal when he comes home and quickly grow into a toddler and teen animal. There are so many things that can happen with a pup left to its own devices!!

Then once he is older, potty trained, and has some.common sense and wisdom he would be totally fine outside on his own, especially if you spend a lot of time out there.

I do.think dogs do best with their people, that is what they live for really, to be with their pack!

Rat Terriers tend to be yappy. Like jeninok said, your family will be the pack and a puppy especially will be lonely if not included inside. Good luck with the puppy training! We have a 5 month old Kelpie, a herding dog. She is going to BE a great dog when she gets out of her toddler stage.

I'd sit down on the floor and see who wants to sit with you/on you. Then I'd see what it's reaction is to the other puppies. Does it ignore them, growl and them or is it OK with others joining you.

Preferably you'll find one that's friendly and ignores or lets the others join the cuddle.

Stay away from any that are aggressive with each other.

I had pick of the males when we got our German Shepherd six years ago. There were five males and they were all sleeping when we arrived. I chose Rem because he was the most difficult one to wake up! Once we got him awake he was playful and happy to be with us but he was the most easy going puppy of the five. When I take him with me to run errands people always comment about how mellow he is. I had him with me one time when I went to get new tires for my van and the guys at the shop were amazed at how Rem just sat quietly with me and then decided to nap while we waited. He will do his police dog act if someone pulls up in the driveway or walks onto our property but with his family he is very calm. After my experience with Rem I think I will always pick the mellow puppy.

Just be careful..sometimes the really quite one is the sick one. I have seen that many times in my career in veterinary medicine.

Go for happy and confident but not the most boistrous, not the one bowling everyone over.

You all have been very helpful.

I'll post his/her pic when we decide on "THE ONE." The neighbor said he'll give them away at 6 weeks! (isn't that too young to quit nursing from the momma!!?!?!?!!!!).

The pup will definitely stay indoors while he/she's a pre-teen and get to romp outside when we're out there during puppy stage, then when he/she's old enough to not fit under the house/squeeze through the fencing, etc. then we'll increase his/her outdoors time.

If you can convince your neighbor to keep the puppy you want until 8 weeks it might be much better. My friend who raises dogs and the vet both said that puppies learn so much from 6-8 weeks that the extra 2 weeks is really helpful for having a well socialized, behaving dog.