Menu

Proof That Some People Really Do Have More Money Than They Know What to Do With, LOL!

Crimson Wife

A Living Social daily deal in my inbox is for a ramen-making class for $55 (50% off the normal price) and 116 people have actually bought it! :smilielol5:

My local Safeway sells a 6-pack of ramen for $0.99 or a 24-pack for $3.29.

Maybe I should assign my oldest a word problem asking how many packs of ramen we could buy for the cost of the Living Social deal :tongue_smilie:

Perhaps those people are simply planning ahead for a possible penniless future of extremely thrifty living. They're wisely investing their money in a crucial ramen-making class in preparation for the day when they can no longer afford the luxury of purchasing that 6-pack of costly store-bought ramen for 99 cents.

OK, that's probably not it.

My dh would LOVE to learn how to make homemade ramen. And FYI, hand made ramen are very different from store bought ramen.

Think of it as similar to bread making lessons. Yes, store bought bread is inexpensive, but some people really enjoy making their own. Do you make fun of people who bake their own brownies or cakes or bread? What about knitting? I can buy mitten at walmart, but I enjoy knitting knitting and my kids need mittens. Are you going to make fun of me for that? We also make our own beer and wine. Does that show more $$ than sense? It might, if you tasted the last batch of wine DH made, I give you that :laugh:

Noodle making is a craft, people want to learn how. What is stupid about that?

Could it be a class to learn how to make Japanese Ramen noodles from scratch and learn various recipes? If so, maybe those who purchased the deal just want to learn how to make something from scratch, make diverse food, or just meet other people.

I can buy Italian noodles fairly cheap, but I would love to learn how to make them from scratch. (even if I don't do it often) Plus, learning different Italian food recipes would be worth taking a class.

Just a thought.

My dh would LOVE to learn how to make homemade ramen. And FYI, hand made ramen are very different from store bought ramen.

Think of it as similar to bread making lessons. Yes, store bought bread is inexpensive, but some people really enjoy making their own. Do you make fun of people who bake their own brownies or cakes or bread? What about knitting? I can buy mitten at walmart, but I enjoy knitting knitting and my kids need mittens. Are you going to make fun of me for that? We also make our own beer and wine. Does that show more $$ than sense? It might, if you tasted the last batch of wine DH made, I give you that :laugh:

I'm pretty sure she was just joking around. :)

It wasn't a class to learn how to make bread, or wine, or beer- it is RAMEN. The stuff that folks eat when they are flat-broke and can't afford anything else (BTDT).

Yep, if you're going to spend $55 to learn how to make ramen, I'm going to make fun of you as having more money than sense!

Before you laugh at people making noodles, you might want to check out the movie Tampopo. You will never look at a bowl of ramen the same way again.

I really and truly don't believe that CrimsonWife had any intention of offending the noodle-makers of the world.

I'm not sure why you seem to be taking offense at her post. :confused:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that sometimes I really like ramen. The supermarket kind, that is. :D I'm sure that homemade is really quite good.

Hey, who doesn't like the cheap kind? It's filled with salt and chemicals!!! What could be better than that? :thumbup:

The homemade stuff is technically a lot better, but it's so different that it doesn't even count as ramen if you've ever had the kind from the supermarket. ;)

What's stupid is that I am now going to obsess about trying homemade ramen. :drool:

It wasn't a class to learn how to make bread, or wine, or beer- it is RAMEN. The stuff that folks eat when they are flat-broke and can't afford anything else (BTDT).

Yep, if you're going to spend $55 to learn how to make ramen, I'm going to make fun of you as having more money than sense!

First of all, I am not taking offense. I am pointing out that she is making fun of something she might not know about. That is not taking offense. If I am taking offense you will know, lol.

Now, you have all the info about the class there, but do you know that ramen is a type of noodle, not the soup thing you buy at the store?

It is like making 'pasta'. You could charge someone for a class to make pasta and I guess teach them to heat the water and open a jar of sauce. But, if I took a pasta class it would mean I was learning to make the pasta. As in, learn how to make the noodle we call pasta.

it is prob the same for the ramen. If I took a ramen making class, then I would expect a lesson in making the ramen noodles. Not boil water and add weird powder stuff, but make a dough and knead it to make the ramen. It is quite a process.

Or it could be how to use prepared noodles to create something that is very, very different from the little package. As someone upthread mentioned, it would be like taking an Italian cooking class and making your own sauces etc. My SIL is from Japan and she taught me how to use store bought ramen to make all kinds of delicious noodle dishes

I guess it could be add the brick of noodles to hot water, but that doesn't seem probable for that price.

Things like this are pretty popular right now, like making cheese or having your own chickens.

I get the sense that maybe people were thinking (or joking) that this class was to learn how to prepare store bought ramen rather than how to prepare authentic, homemade ramen. Two vastly different skill sets, no? :D

ETA: I was typing as redsquirrel,was posting. She stated a far better explanation than my pathetic attempt.

But for the price one would only get one pack of ramen a day for just over a year. If one learns how to make their own they can make ramen for life. Maybe even cheaper than the stuff that is store bought.

Probably not when you factor in the broth... although you could use boullion, I suppose!

I really and truly don't believe that CrimsonWife had any intention of offending the noodle-makers of the world.

I'm not sure why you seem to be taking offense at her post. :confused:

Actually, basis her second comment, it sounds like she really does want to offend the noodle makers:

"It wasn't a class to learn how to make bread, or wine, or beer- it is RAMEN. The stuff that folks eat when they are flat-broke and can't afford anything else (BTDT).

Yep, if you're going to spend $55 to learn how to make ramen, I'm going to make fun of you as having more money than sense!"

(In other news, I can't figure out multiquote on the new system.)

My grandma and aunts used to make homemade noodles. It was a long, long affair that took up lots of room. But, WOW, those noodles were amazing. When in later years I read Italo Calvino's short story All in One Point (from
Cosmicomics
) I really understood how Mrs. Ph(i)Nk0 managed to create a Big Bang by talking about the noodles she would make if only she had a little elbow room.

I *love* the 15 cent grocery-store ramen. Love it. I could eat it every day if I didn't care about things like my general health and well-being. Dh cracks an egg in it while it's cooking, throws in some frozen chives and calls it egg-drop soup. :D

Or it could be how to use prepared noodles to create something that is very, very different from the little package. As someone upthread mentioned, it would be like taking an Italian cooking class and making your own sauces etc. My SIL is from Japan and she taught me how to use store bought ramen to make all kinds of delicious noodle dishes

Wouldn't that be a "Cooking with Ramen" class rather than a "Ramen-Making" one? I'd potentially be interested in learning how to cook with ramen (though in our family's case, we would have to substitute shirataki noodles as my little one is gluten intolerant).

I don't think you have much of an understanding of Japanese culture. You do understand that ramen doesn't just refer to the cheap noodles we get at the grocery store, right? That it's a staple food in Japan? Cheap ramen and good ramen have about as much in common as a Healthy Choice pasta tv dinner and a bowl of handmade pasta in Italy.

:iagree:

shoyu ramen is more difficult to make!

I make homemade ramen all the time. I didn't take a class, because I'm not a cooking class kind of girl, but man it took me several years to master it.

Completely forget about storebought ramen. Real ramen is about the broth, the veggies and the meat. Making the broth is an art form, especially if you aren't used to Japanese ingredients (dashi, kombu, etc).

I doubt the class was about noodle making, it's much easier to get fresh noodles at a local Asian market. If you actually Google "Authentic Japanese Ramen" you will be surprised. There are restaurants even in the US that specialize in authentic ramen.

Sure, Ramen is sort of a fast food/comfort item, but it isn't the Americanized version. You go ahead and mock

Now, you have all the info about the class there, but do you know that ramen is a type of noodle, not the soup thing you buy at the store?

It is like making 'pasta'. You could charge someone for a class to make pasta and I guess teach them to heat the water and open a jar of sauce. But, if I took a pasta class it would mean I was learning to make the pasta. As in, learn how to make the noodle we call pasta.

it is prob the same for the ramen. If I took a ramen making class, then I would expect a lesson in making the ramen noodles. Not boil water and add weird powder stuff, but make a dough and knead it to make the ramen. It is quite a process.

I guess it could be add the brick of noodles to hot water, but that doesn't seem probable for that price.

Things like this are pretty popular right now, like making cheese or having your own chickens.

Thank you. I this is what I was thinking. Well put

This is the ad for the class http://www.livingsoc...with-a-cocktail

For a hands on in how to make ramen and a cocktail, I am pretty willing to pay $55. It is honestly cheaper than getting my hair cut properly :(

Making ramen is a fine art, just like making sushi or slicing fish for sashimi.

This, too.

It looks like the class is a class on how to make ramen noodles. I would pay for that.

it is RAMEN. The stuff that folks eat when they are flat-broke and can't afford anything else (BTDT).

I know your post is mostly tongue in cheek, but you really should try real Japanese ramen. It is delicious! :drool5: It's n-o-t-h-i-n-g like those cheap cardboardy noodles, and it's fairly inexpensive for a meal out if you can find a ramen shop near you. I'm taking the boys to the ramen shop tomorrow, and two bowls of ramen and some gyoza (Japanese dumplings) will feed four of us.

Cat

Dh would love to go to a ramen making class! As it is, I'm spending $50 to send him to a pasta making class. Sure, he could open a jar and boil noodles, but what's the point in that? I mean, other than to save a buck? He's going to a place that is known for its amazing pumpkin ravioli (pumpkin pasta, cheese & herb filling) and is hoping to pick up some techniques and recipes that will let him do something similar at home.

So Crimson Wife, have you reconsidered your position? Do you still believe that the folks who take this class have more money than sense?

I see you live in the SanFran area. Surely there are many Japanese noodle shops to choose from. I see your youngest can't have gluten, but maybe you can consider going to one next time you are out with friends.

A 2 hour instructional class that includes a cocktail? It sounds like a great deal. Real ramen is a true art form, and I'd be delighted to learn from a master in their craft. Say the cocktail is $10 (an average price around here), and you're getting a meal (about $15?)you are really only paying $15 an hour for the cooking class.

Surely many people here pay more than that for instructions for our children. I know we spend more than that each time my dd9 steps on the ice for lessons.