Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week nine

Robin M

Do you think this book is ok for an almost 15yo boy? I have not read it but everyone talks about how good it is and my ds actually asked about it (which is rare for him!).

I think it would be o.k. I was reading an article from, hmm, some tech guy's daughter who went with him to North Korea recently (I googled it - not just some tech guy - google's executive director), anyway, I thought she would have benefited from reading the book first. The article was basically a travelogue, and she was teenaged, but she sounded . . . uninformed. This was closer to when I finished it and it didn't seem unreasonable at that time for a high schooler to read it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1Q84 was the only book our library had! I was so taken with the cover I had to read it. But his books do not show up at the used book store (I've looked for over a year!). Our library now has After Dark for the ereader, as well as several of his other books on audio, but I don't think I want to listen to those books, I want to read them.

I agree with you -- I think his work wouldn't come through nearly as well in audio. I would think his words come through much better on the printed page. 1Q84 is on my to-read list this year.

I love all this discussion of Murakami. He is one of my dear friend's favorite writers and I've read some of his books. Very strange but well written. I haven't read it yet by friend says that Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World was her favorite book of last year.

Read that one many, many years ago. I'd like to re-read it & refresh my memory. Murakami is wonderful. I loved Kafka on the Shore too.

On a separate note, for fans of Khaled Hosseini, it looks like he has a new book to be released in May: And the Mountains Echoed. (I still need to read Hosseini -- haven't read him yet.)

Ok, I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone, but I've been wondering awhile & looked it up....

I read a fair amount of historical fiction & one thing I've noticed in more than one book is the use of "the F-word" in these novels. To me, this always seemed a glaring screech of modern times inserted into an older time period; my assumption was that it was used incorrectly. I guess I assumed it was a relatively modern word, so its inclusion in a setting from centuries ago just seemed out of place.

I checked an online etymology dictionary this morning & happy to report the authors have been correct, as the word is traceable to at least as early as the 16th century. In case anyone is interested in the detailed etymology of it, here is the page w/ the entry: http://www.etymonlin...owed_in_frame=0

(This is a whole page of words, not just that particular one, in case you are worried about browser cookies & whatnot related to that word. So, imo, it's a safe page to view as there are many dictionary words & etymologies listed on the page with "the F-word" being just one of many.)

So, there's my public service (or non-service) of the day to my fellow historical fiction readers. ;) :lol:

Ok, I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone, but I've been wondering awhile & looked it up....

I read a fair amount of historical fiction & one thing I've noticed in more than one book is the use of "the F-word" in these novels. To me, this always seemed a glaring screech of modern times inserted into an older time period; my assumption was that it was used incorrectly. I guess I assumed it was a relatively modern word, so it's inclusion in a setting from centuries ago just seemed out of place.

I checked an online etymology dictionary this morning & happy to report the authors have been correct, as the word is traceable to at least as early as the 16th century. In case anyone is interested in the detailed etymology of it, here is the page w/ the entry: http://www.etymonlin...owed_in_frame=0

(This is a whole page of words, not just that particular one, in case you are worried about browser cookies & whatnot related to that word. So, imo, it's a safe page to view as there are many dictionary words & etymologies listed on the page with "the F-word" being just one of many.)

So, there's my public service (or non-service) of the day to my fellow historical fiction readers. ;) :lol:

Back in my day, the word was referred to as the "Anglo-Saxon expletive" which suggests an older etymology.

Just to be sure, all of you know that Canada by Richard Ford can't count for the Oh, Canada challenge because the author is American, right?

I am also reading Les Mis (via audiobook) and it's slow going. I started to get bogged down so I sidetracked to some faster reads. In the middle of Argo - interesting story and I haven't seen the movie yet but the narrator is driving me crazy.

Audible has a BOGO sale going on through 2/28 so I've got some good books waiting in the wings.

With Les Mis, which translation you have can make all the difference in how readable it is.

Yay. Another Wuthering Heights naysayer! :hurray: (It was my most hated book last year, lol.)

I've always hated Wuthering Heights and have never reread it.

I don't hate Jane Eyre, although it's not my favourite novel, but I cannot abide Wuthering Heights. I liked Jane Eyre when I was young, but back then I could understand how someone could be attracted to the dark, brooding type (not sure why, since I didn't ever have a boyfriend like that, but I could).

I finished So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love by Cal Newport. A fantastic apologetic for classcial ed (though that's not the point). Loved it.

This looks good.

Finished Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr. I liked this book because it embraces a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle (something that is not covered in so many diet/health books). Also, I think she does a great job at explaining (in layman's terms) why eating certain things are good or bad for you, how your body processes different things, etc.... A really good basic text for learning why you need to eat better.

I was going to read her cookbook and decided not to. I read the excerpt on Amazon. She was trying to make the point that humans do not have to eat meat. Her example was an elephant and a hippopotamus. She stated that if such huge, strong animals can live on plants only and still grow to be so big and strong then surely humans can do the same. And that's where she lost all credibility with me. That's just dumb. You're trying to make a logical connection where none exists. Elephants and hippos are not humans and vice versa. We have different digestive systems, different ratio needs for vitamins and minerals, and so forth. Just bugs me when people try to make logical leaps when it's not. I remember one author said in the debate about whether eating dietary fats make you fat (which I don't think they do and neither does the author) but he said, "Eating fats won't make you fat any more than eating green food will make you green." I thought to myself but eating a lot of orange food will give you an orange tinge so..... Basically, his was a weak argument.

Please note this has *nothing* to do with whether I think people should or shouldn't be vegetarian.

This looks good.

I was going to read her cookbook and decided not to. I read the excerpt on Amazon. She was trying to make the point that humans do not have to eat meat. Her example was an elephant and a hippopotamus. She stated that if such huge, strong animals can live on plants only and still grow to be so big and strong then surely humans can do the same. And that's where she lost all credibility with me. That's just dumb. You're trying to make a logical connection where none exists. Elephants and hippos are not humans and vice versa. We have different digestive systems, different ratio needs for vitamins and minerals, and so forth. Just bugs me when people try to make logical leaps when it's not. I remember one author said in the debate about whether eating dietary fats make you fat (which I don't think they do and neither does the author) but he said, "Eating fats won't make you fat any more than eating green food will make you green." I thought to myself but eating a lot of orange food will give you an orange tinge so..... Basically, his was a weak argument.

Please note this has *nothing* to do with whether I think people should or shouldn't be vegetarian.

Excellent point. It can be dangerous to extrapolate from one animal group to another. Some used to claim that humans are the only primates to eat meat, but that's also false.

Human bodies are definitely the omnivorous type, and as someone who cannot eat legumes due to allergies, consume milk due to a protein intolerance that does not involve casiene, gets migraines from eggs and who cannot absorb non-heme iron in any form whatsoever no matter what anyone claims, I'm very happy about that. Certainly there are people who can handle and some who even thrive being vegetarians or vegans (once upon a time vegetarian meant what vegan does today), but some suffer on that very same diet.

I just posted this in the wrong thread so I will repost here.

Hello all.  I am hoping to catch up on the past threads , but for now I will just update my readings.  

Previously listed

1. Shanghai Girls *****

2. The Cat Who Saw Red **

3. The Power of a Praying Wife ****

Other completed books

4. The Circle Maker***

This book was recommended at a Homeschool moms' gathering I attended.  It is about praying circles around your dreams and to dream big.  Since the book is not in front of me I will paraphrase the message I took away.  It is about not limiting your prayers as this is an insult to God.  If you only ask for things YOU can accomplish you don't have a need for God.  Pray for things only HE can accomplish so HE can show himself to you.

I was pleased learn that the author believes that you won't get what you want if it doesn't line up with God's will for you.  I 100% agree.  It was a good book.

5. Christian Modesty and the Public Undressing of America**

This was a reread by request of my daughter.  She wanted me to preview it for her.  Frankly, I am only including it to bump my total.  

In progress

A Change of Habit, The Autobiography of a Former Catholic Nun

Time Management for Christian Women

Odyssey

Don Quioxte

I was going to read her cookbook and decided not to. I read the excerpt on Amazon. She was trying to make the point that humans do not have to eat meat. Her example was an elephant and a hippopotamus. She stated that if such huge, strong animals can live on plants only and still grow to be so big and strong then surely humans can do the same. And that's where she lost all credibility with me. That's just dumb. You're trying to make a logical connection where none exists. Elephants and hippos are not humans and vice versa. We have different digestive systems, different ratio needs for vitamins and minerals, and so forth. Just bugs me when people try to make logical leaps when it's not.

I didn't remember seeing that in the book I read, but then I realized you're talking about her other book that is more recipes, less text. I have that book here (I've looked through the recipes but not yet read the text). If I'm seeing the same part, that page is one from a different contributor (Jennifer Reilly) where she's doing a Q&A format on a 2-page spread. To me, she's not stating it quite like you remember. She's answering a question along the lines of 'where will I get my protein?/how much protein do I need?' She's basically making a statement that some animals rely solely on plant foods for protein & complete nutrition. And, then she makes a second statement that humans can also get enough protein & nutrition on a solely plant-based diet. (Not that all humans can/should/or want to be on a vegan diet.) I think both of her statements are true; I guess I'm not making the same logical leap from that statement that you are. Imo, she's not saying that we should eat the same diet as elephants or horses, etc.... It wouldn't make sense to claim that. She's just saying that there are ways for humans to get complete nutrition (including enough protein) through a plant-based diet.

Personally, I think the statements are fine & are not trying to correlate things weirdly or insist we are the same as assorted plant-eating animals.

Excellent point. It can be dangerous to extrapolate from one animal group to another. Some used to claim that humans are the only primates to eat meat, but that's also false.

Human bodies are definitely the omnivorous type, and as someone who cannot eat legumes due to allergies, consume milk due to a protein intolerance that does not involve casiene, gets migraines from eggs and who cannot absorb non-heme iron in any form whatsoever no matter what anyone claims, I'm very happy about that. Certainly there are people who can handle and some who even thrive being vegetarians or vegans (once upon a time vegetarian meant what vegan does today), but some suffer on that very same diet.

Yes, there are many body types, many types of diets for humans that various people can & do thrive on. One size definitely does not fit all. Since I'm already a vegetarian (& am leaning more toward becoming vegan), I appreciated this book as a resource for info & recipes that fit a healthy vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

I finished The Stockholm Octavo today (thanks to dd's orthodontist running quite late & keeping us there for awhile).

Fabulous historical fiction taking place in Sweden in the late 1700s (around the time of the French Revolution). Though I thought I could see where the story was going very early on (& I was worried it might not be too engrossing if I could already see big plot points), I was pleasantly surprised as the novel took some unexpected turns, taught me about various topics (some Swedish history, the history of fans, etc...), & kept me enthralled until the end. Definitely recommended, especially for fans of historical fiction. Quite enjoyable.

For those who have read it, I wonder if Mrs. Sparrow (who reads the cards/octavo) is based on Ulrica Arfvidsson...???

I read and enjoyed the romance SEALed with a Kiss by Mary Daughtridge. The heroine of this book has Celiac disease; I believe this is the first time I've encountered that diagnosis in fiction.

That makes me want to read the book simply due to this. How did she weave that into the story? A mere casual mention? Is this why he thinks she's high maintenance? Curious.

Over the weekend, I asked my husband (out of the blue) why men are no longer described as debonair. (Imagine deer in the headlights look in response to this one--although by now my husband is quite accustomed to my out of the blue questions and observations.) What had led me to this query was the recent book a week thread conversation on Inspector Banks--a guy who is definitely not debonair--but a conversation which led me to think about mystery series I have read. Trust me--I have read loads. The very human, flawed detective seems to be the popular image these days.

But I ramble as usual. Arsene Lupin and Lord Peter Wimsey probably define the debonair detective as does Nick Charles. Not quite as debonair, but suave in his own way, is Nero Wolfe's sidekick, Archie Goodwin.

Ages ago, I did someone a small favor and she repaid me with an entire shopping bag full of Rex Stout mysteries. His Nero Wolfe books are quick reads and fun for gastronomes. I have the clock ticking on a knitting project so I decided I had better pick up an audio book from the library. Too Many Cooks (narrated by the aforementioned character, the suave Archie Goodwin) will keep me company in the days ahead. Since I haven't read Rex Stout books in decades, the plots shall be new again.

Cross post from a separate thread: I was searching through Kindle's "Featured Deals" this morning hoping to find Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash and/or Cryptonomicon. Instead, I found Anathem for $1.99 which I already own. It's my favorite (so far) of Stephenson's novels; the setting and plot are not what I'd come to expect from Stephenson. Anathem contains a surprise concealed within; like Jane Austen's Emma it's best to read it through as written--no peeking! :D

I also found Salman Khan's The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined for $$2.99. The Khan Academy was such a useful resource for my son that I was interested in knowing more about the ideas behind it.

That makes me want to read the book simply due to this. How did she weave that into the story? A mere casual mention? Is this why he thinks she's high maintenance? Curious.

You're correct in your surmise, Kleine Hexe. As I recall, the second time the hero sees the heroine, he sees her at a distance querying the deli attendant about choices. He assumes that there is nothing there that pleases her. It's more than a casual mention though. The topic comes up several times throughout the book. I thought it well done.

Regards,

Kareni

I just finished #6: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Loved it.

I have a few irons in the fire right now...not sure which I will finish reading next.

I love this thread!

Any good smoothie recipes? I'm always looking for new ideas.

I've tried one from that book so far. Don't have the book nearby right now, but it had mostly veggies (cucumbers, kale/greens, ...) & coconut water. It was pretty good. I'm used to fruit smoothies, though, so it may take me a few more times of trying veggie based ones to really get used to them.

Did you see the recent Green Smoothie thread on here?

On a different note, I've started reading Mohammed Hanif's other book, A Case of Exploding Mangoes. (He wrote Our Lady of Alice Bhatti, which I recently read & really liked.) It is apparently based off the real plane crash which killed Pakistan's leader in 1988 -- a plane crash that has never been fully solved & which is apparently thought of as assassination. A Case of Exploding Mangoes is fiction w/ various theories of how/why Zia was assassinated. I'm not too far into it yet, but like Our Lady of Alice Bhatti, it's brutally straightforward & darkly funny.

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: On August 17, 1988, Pak One, the airplane carrying Pakistani dictator General Zia and several top generals, crashed, killing all on board --and despite continued investigation, a smoking gun--mechanical or conspiratorial--has yet to be found. Mohammed Hanif's outrageous debut novel, A Case of Exploding Mangoes, tracks at least two (and as many as a half-dozen) assassination vectors to their convergence in the plane crash, incorporating elements as diverse as venom-tipped sabers, poison gas, the curses of a scorned First Lady, and a crow impaired by an overindulgence of ripe mangoes. The book has been aptly compared to Catch-22 for its hilarious (though not quite as madcap) skewering of the Pakistani military and intelligence infrastructure, but it also can trace its lineage to Don DeLillo, doing for Pakistan what Libra did for JFK conspiracy theory, and Kafka's The Trial, with its paranoid-but-true take on pathological bureaucracy. Recent events pushing Pakistan into the worst kind of headlines make A Case of Exploding Mangoes a timely and entertaining read, and when a mysterious bearded man called "OBL" makes an appearance at a Fourth of July party for U.S. military brass, we're coolly reminded of the fickleness of opportunistic policy in unpredictable lands.

I finished The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (#3 in the Wheel of time series) Lots of action - when do these folks sleep? I love all the characters, especially the 3 girls or should I say young women. Was totally engaged throughout the story and look forward to reading # 4 sometime next month. Have a few other dusty or chunky books to delve into in the meantime. Not sure what I'm going to read next. But all this talk about Haruki Murakami has me thinking of reading 1Q84 sooner than later. Perhaps we should do a readalong or read one of Murakimi's works in a month or two? I should be up to the H's in my A to Z challenge around that time.

I came across something that will probably have me adding to the books for the inspiration challenge. Coursera is offering a free course called Know Thyself which starts March 4th.

"An investigation of the nature and limits of self-knowledge from the viewpoints of philosophy, psychoanalysis, experimental psychology, neuroscience, aesthetics, and Buddhism. Readings are drawn from classical Western, non-Western, and contemporary sources."

I signed up for it and we'll see how it goes.

But all this talk about Haruki Murakami has me thinking of reading 1Q84 sooner than later. Perhaps we should do a readalong or read one of Murakimi's works in a month or two? I should be up to the H's in my A to Z challenge around that time.

I'll jump in on a read-along of 1Q84. I have the book sitting here already. :thumbup1:

(We still need to read Cortazar's Hopscotch at some point this year too....)

ETA: I got fed up with the "very long wait" at Netflix for a dvd of The Handmaid's Tale. Unbelievably, my library had a copy! The film is very true to the book (I do need to go back and check one pretty important detail), and overall it is a Not Bad book-to-movie adaptation. Since so many of us read the book in January, I thought I'd throw this out there with it being Oscar weekend. I've not read any of the books or seen any of the movies nominated this year. Shrug.

Thanks for that info. I read the book long before 2012, but discussion of it here last year reignited my interest. I might see if my library has the dvd. The only nominated movie I saw was Les Miserables. Twice.

I am currently reading The Black Count by Tom Reiss. It is about Alexander Dumas's father and quite fascinating most of the time. It is non-fiction. In many parts I find myself bogged down in the history and politics, but it is pertinent, so I slog on to get to the more exciting parts. :-) Actually the history and politics is fascinating also, it just takes me more effort to digest.

That's been on my TBR list ever since I finally read The Count of Monte Cristo last year.

Love Ephron- she is everything you say. She died last year- June 26, 2012. I had recently read "I Feel Bad About My Neck." What a brilliant talent!

I love Nora Ephron too. Those of you who read the Dragon Tattoo series, will appreciate this from her.

I finished Murder in the North End. This was my first historical mystery of 2013, and I didn't realize how much I missed the genre!I was trying to branch out and read other things, but these are my comfort food books. There's only one more in this series and I already have it on my Kindle, so I'll read it in the next day or two. I need to choose my dusty book for March since we're only a few days away.

I'm still working on The Fruitful Wife by Hayley DiMarco. It's pretty good; lots to think about with regard to the fruit of the Spirit.

I'm also slowly going through The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot. Very good.

And, I started Leonardo and the Last Supper by Ross King. It's pretty good.

This is where I get into trouble, though ... reading too many things at once.

I finished Boys Adrift (#14); I thought it had a lot of good points and plan to increase DS's sports activities (something we had already been considering).

Now, I have to decide what to read next. I think I've decided on Zinn's A People's History of The United States, which is only $2 for the kindle version. I haven't (finished) any history reading yet this year.

Hello, I am new to this topic but have been following with admiration. I have been working on the Well-Educated Mind booklist. I couldn't enlist a reading buddy so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I justed started "One Hundred Years of Solitude."

Read this year:

16. Red Badge of Courage

17. Heart of Darkness

18. The House of Mirth

19. The Great Gatsby

20. Mrs. Dolloway

21. The Trial

22. Native Son

23. The Stanger

24. 1984

25. Invisible Man

26. Seize the Day

I'll jump in on a read-along of 1Q84. I have the book sitting here already. :thumbup1:

(We still need to read Cortazar's Hopscotch at some point this year too....)

Great - shooting for April for Murakami. I'm ready to take the 52 books continental challenge down into South American for the month of March so if you are ready to start reading Hopscotch, we can shot to start in the next couple weeks or so. I think we're the only two at this point. But I'm sure we can talk a few more into joining us.

Hello, I am new to this topic but have been following with admiration. I have been working on the Well-Educated Mind booklist. I couldn't enlist a reading buddy so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I just started "One Hundred Years of Solitude."

Read this year:

16. Red Badge of Courage

17. Heart of Darkness

18. The House of Mirth

19. The Great Gatsby

20. Mrs. Dolloway

21. The Trial

22. Native Son

23. The Stranger

24. 1984

25. Invisible Man

26. Seize the Day

Yeah and Welcome. So glad you decided to join in. We'll be your reading buddies. I recently read One Hundred Years so looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Ages ago, I did someone a small favor and she repaid me with an entire shopping bag full of Rex Stout mysteries. His Nero Wolfe books are quick reads and fun for gastronomes. I have the clock ticking on a knitting project so I decided I had better pick up an audio book from the library. Too Many Cooks (narrated by the aforementioned character, the suave Archie Goodwin) will keep me company in the days ahead. Since I haven't read Rex Stout books in decades, the plots shall be new again.

Checked out 2 Rex Stout's yesterday. Thanks for the heads up! Though first up is the autobio of Steve Martin- Born Standing Up- read about him in "So Good They Can't Ignore You" (The title is attributed to Martin). I've always loved Steve. He's good clean fun and anyone who acts in a Muppets movie and upstages the muppets is just raw talent imho.

Great - shooting for April for Murakami. I'm ready to take the 52 books continental challenge down into South American for the month of March so if you are ready to start reading Hopscotch, we can shot to start in the next couple weeks or so. I think we're the only two at this point. But I'm sure we can talk a few more into joining us.

I'll shoot for having the book at least by then. I don't have a kindle. Probably a good thing becasue it seems like every piece of equipment we own is sequentially biting the dust....my camera, the blender, the printer.....ARGH!!!

the kids and I started listening to The Power of Habit in the car yesterday.. great discussion about memory and neurology.

I finished The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (#3 in the Wheel of time series) Lots of action - when do these folks sleep? I love all the characters, especially the 3 girls or should I say young women. Was totally engaged throughout the story and look forward to reading # 4 sometime next month.

:hurray: Though you beat me :glare: I am having major trouble finding time to read. I can't wait to finish it myself!

My finished list as it stands right now, minus my colour coding.

1. Reversing Religious Repression 4*

2. Wishing You Were Here Catherine Chant 4*

3. Wish You Were Eyre (Mother-Daughter Book Club) 3*

4. Anne of Green Gables (Canada) (4*)

5. Irregular Portuguese Verbs 2*

6. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (Africa) 3*

7. Neddiad Daniel Pinkwater 2*

8. Pride and Prejudice 5* (Classics)

9. At First Sight Nicholas Sparks 2*

10. The Dawkins Delusion? (Dewey Decimal challenge) 2 1/2 *

11. The Diamond of Darkhold 3*

12. The Year My Sister Got Lucky 2/5*

13. The Hope Chest (audio, inspirational fiction, started with the letter H) 2.5 *

14. Forevermore Cathy Marie Hake (audio, inspirational fiction, started with the letter F) 4*

15. A Year Down Yonder 4*

16. The Hour that Changes the World (inspirational) 4.5*

Over the weekend, I asked my husband (out of the blue) why men are no longer described as debonair. (Imagine deer in the headlights look in response to this one--although by now my husband is quite accustomed to my out of the blue questions and observations.)

Sounds like something I'd ask. I'm now wondering when I quit calling dh "handsome, dashing & debonair." To be fair, while he is handsome and wonderful in many ways, he was never dashing nor debonair, I said it in good fun (as opposed to making fun of.) Not that he didn't behave like a gentleman, just not a debonair one. :D

I finished The Well-Educated Mind this week. I glanced at it a couple of years ago so it was nice to finally read it, yet sad to realize I had not read all but a couple of the books. I have a BA in History and never was required to read ONE of the books listed. So, needless to say, I have started the process of a WEM by delving into Don Quixote. Since it will take me a while, this week I am also reading Simplicity Parenting.

In Process:

Don Quixote

Completed:

10.) The Well-Educated Mind

9.) Gone Girl

8.) Last Child in the Woods

7.) East of Eden

6.) The $100 Start Up

5.) A Christmas Carol

4.) Dracula

3.) The Night Circus

2.) Switch

1.) Getting Things Done

The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren Ă¢â‚¬â€œ This was a read aloud and DD and I both loved it. It was a fast read with many pictures and short stories. The stories were so sweet and charming. I highly recommend it for girls between the ages of 7 and 12.

In Progress:

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (read aloud)

Mrs. McGintyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Dead by Agatha Christie (audiobook Ă¢â‚¬â€œ just me)

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (Ladies book club)

EntreLeadership by Dave Ramsey

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (book club)

2013 finished books:

22. The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (*****)

21. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (*****)

20. Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (***)

19. Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (***)

18. Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto (****)

17. The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (****)

16. Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern (***)

15. Getting Things Done by David Allen (****)

14. The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (****)

13. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers (****)

12. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (****)

11. ToliverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Secret by Esther Wood Brady (***)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Hello, I am new to this topic but have been following with admiration.

:seeya: & welcome to the thread! What has been your favorite book read so far this year?

Yay. Will plan on it. Have both 1Q84 & Hopscotch (thanks again, Robin!!) sitting here. Really looking forward to both.

I'll shoot for having the book at least by then.

I'll join. My library has the print, audio, and ebook version so I shouldn't have a problem getting a copy when the time comes.

I'll join, for both IQ84 and Hopscoth

I will join in on 1Q84, too. :)

So awesome! :thumbup:

:seeya: & welcome to the thread! What has been your favorite book read so far this year?

I am a reformed "fluff" reader encouraged by Well-Educated Mind. I would never have picked these up to read and I have enjoyed parts and hated parts of most of them. With fluffy books I can relate to and respect some of the characters but I have had a hard time finding common ground in any of these books. I have had to retrain my expectations. They have made me think about human nature and yearn for a book with a happy ending. I don't think any of these so far has been "cheerful" or "uplifting." The most difficult for me were: Don Quixote, Gulliver's Travels, and The Trial. Books I would recommend: Jane Eyre, The Scarlet Letter, Anna Karenina, Mrs. Dalloway.

In Progress: One Hundred Years of Solitude

2013 reads in order from Well-Educated MInd:

. . .

16. Red Badge of Courage

17. Heart of Darkness

18. The House of Mirth

19. The Great Gatsby

20. Mrs. Dalloway

21. The Trial

22. Native Son

23. The Stranger

24. 1984

25. Invisible Man

26. Seize the Day

Okay. Most of my reading time thus far has been dedicated to the books for my Coursera course, but what I'm hearing is:

1.) I should finish my North America books ASAP (get started tonight).

2.) I have one or two weeks before the Hopscotch read-along starts, so I should try to get my last two essays written for Coursera before then.

Okay. I'm on it. Well, as soon as the kids have finished their school work for the day - I'm on it.

I would like to read 1Q84 with you guys, too.

ETA: :willy_nilly:

Completed:

Book #33 - "Earthly Deligihts" by Kerry Greenwood. (Australian author, Australian setting.) Not as "cozy" as I like them, but it was enjoyable.

Book #32 - "The Year of Learning Dangerously" by Quinn Cummings. Funny! A lot I could relate to.

Book #31 - "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #30 - "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #29 - "The Charming Quirks of Others" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings.

Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings.

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

I finished An Affair with Africa by Alzada Carlisle Kistner last night and really liked it. It was more a travel book than an insider's view of the places they visited. Initially I was a bit disappointed that it was not more of an insider's view, but then I came to appreciate her perspective, especially as a mother traveling for long periods of time with her children.

I'm searching for a new audio book now. Whatever shall I start?

Still reading Tom Jones, and I'm enjoying it more now. I may finish within the next week or so!