Menu

What's for dinner?

tearose

Well, it's cold and damp here ~~ 40* with strong winds so it feels much colder ad the lack of sun makes it worse and I haven't been able to get warm for a few days. You northerners can quit laughing now ;) Seriously, though, it's a chilled-to-the-bone cold that I can't shake for some reason. Anyway, to get warm, I'm making French Onion Soup. The kids got a treat of chicken tenders, home fries, and chicken wings from the grocery, so have already eaten.

Now, if dh will ever get home, I can start on that soup!! :toetap05: :D

UrbanSue, what is frying cheese? I don't think I've ever heard of it, but it sounds intriguing.

queso de freir. It's kind of like queso fresco (fresca? ). You slice it and fry it in a dry fan and it gets all brown and delicious. Sometimes I put it on the side if it's a low-protein meal. Tonight I fried it, cubed it, and mixed it into the sauteed chard. Really good.

I live in a very Hispanic neighborhood and it's available in all the stores here. Not sure if it's hard to find elsewhere.

queso de freir. It's kind of like queso fresco (fresca? ). You slice it and fry it in a dry fan and it gets all brown and delicious. Sometimes I put it on the side if it's a low-protein meal. Tonight I fried it, cubed it, and mixed it into the sauteed chard. Really good.

I live in a very Hispanic neighborhood and it's available in all the stores here. Not sure if it's hard to find elsewhere.

Reminds me of the recipes for fricos. Random example:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/ParmesanCrisp.htm

gluten free salmon patties on buns, maybe some fresh veggies, and a chick pea and spinach soup with coconut milk . . . . new soup recipe

How did that soup turn out? It sounds wonderful.

BBQ brisket and colcannon

Colwhat? You're gonna need to explain that one.

We're frying a bunch of crappie a friend brought over this afternoon, with vegetables on the side and homemade cinnamon rolls for dessert.

My inner middle schooler giggled at your crappie fried dinner.

Well, it's cold and damp here ~~ 40* with strong winds so it feels much colder ad the lack of sun makes it worse and I haven't been able to get warm for a few days. You northerners can quit laughing now ;) Seriously, though, it's a chilled-to-the-bone cold that I can't shake for some reason. Anyway, to get warm, I'm making French Onion Soup. The kids got a treat of chicken tenders, home fries, and chicken wings from the grocery, so have already eaten.

Now, if dh will ever get home, I can start on that soup!! :toetap05: :D

Have I told you about Lobster Baths? You run a hot bath and soak until your skin is pink and you start to feel a little too warm. Put your hair up because wet hair defeats the purpose. A proper Lobster Bath will raise your core temperature and help shake that can't-get-warm feeling. Follow up with hot tea and warm jammies and socks. Cover your head with a hoodie or cap. You'll look ridiculous and your family will point and laugh, but you won't care because you'll finally be WARM.

Have I told you about Lobster Baths? You run a hot bath and soak until your skin is pink and you start to feel a little too warm. Put your hair up because wet hair defeats the purpose. A proper Lobster Bath will raise your core temperature and help shake that can't-get-warm feeling. Follow up with hot tea and warm jammies and socks. Cover your head with a hoodie or cap. You'll look ridiculous and your family will point and laugh, but you won't care because you'll finally be WARM.

I haven't heard it called that, but I do what you would call "Lobster Showers" (don't like baths) even though they don't seem to help much. I just get really pink, but I'm still cold to the bone after. However, I am now sitting in bed with lots of warm soup in my tummy, wearing my flannel pjs, under a comforter and blanket, with flannel sheets and socks on my feet. And I have my robe on 'backwards' as my own 'snuggie'. I'm warming up slowly. Thanks for the suggestions!! :001_smile:

I need to check out some of the other dinner suggestions .... there are many yummy sounding ones (but I need to go look up what crappie is and why it's fried). :lol:

I need to check out some of the other dinner suggestions .... there are many yummy sounding ones (but I need to go look up what crappie is and why it's fried). :lol:

Oh good grief people... :tongue_smilie: :lol: And it's pronounced crah-pee, not crappy, so you can all stop giggling now. ;)

Crappies (pron.: /ˈkræp/ or /ˈkrɒp/)[1][2] are a genus, Pomoxis, of North American freshwater fish in the sunfish family Centrarchidae. There are two species, the type species Pomoxis anularis, the white crappie, and the black crappie, P. nigromaculatus. Both species are popular game fish.

The genus name Pomoxis derives from the Greek πώμa (cover, plug, operculum) and οξÏÏ‚ (sharp). The common name (also spelled croppie or crappé), derives from the Canadian French crapet, which refers to many different fishes of the sunfish family. Other names for crappie are papermouths, strawberry bass, speckled bass or specks (especially in Michigan), speckled perch, calico bass (throughout New England),[3] sac-au-lait (in southern Louisiana, lit "bag of milk")[4] and Oswego bass.[citation needed]

Guest inoubliable

Oh good grief people... :tongue_smilie: :lol: And it's pronounced crah-pee, not crappy, so you can all stop giggling now. ;)

Crappies (pron.: /ˈkræp/ or /ˈkrɒp/)[1][2] are a genus, Pomoxis, of North American freshwater fish in the sunfish family Centrarchidae. There are two species, the type species Pomoxis anularis, the white crappie, and the black crappie, P. nigromaculatus. Both species are popular game fish.

The genus name Pomoxis derives from the Greek πώμa (cover, plug, operculum) and οξÏÏ‚ (sharp). The common name (also spelled croppie or crappé), derives from the Canadian French crapet, which refers to many different fishes of the sunfish family. Other names for crappie are papermouths, strawberry bass, speckled bass or specks (especially in Michigan), speckled perch, calico bass (throughout New England),[3] sac-au-lait (in southern Louisiana, lit "bag of milk")[4] and Oswego bass.[citation needed]

Hey, don't blame us when you mention that you eat things that sound like they came out of an IKEA catalog! :rofl:

(Seriously, I've had to google most of the dishes you've mentioned in various threads. They look delicious, and I'm fairly certain that I am mispronouncing them.)

Hey, don't blame us when you mention that you eat things that sound like they came out of an IKEA catalog! :rofl:

(Seriously, I've had to google most of the dishes you've mentioned in various threads. They look delicious, and I'm fairly certain that I am mispronouncing them.)

Don't make me come over there and force-feed you some lutefisk. ;)

Guest inoubliable

Um... do you mean the julekage?

I KNEW you loved me!

Just googled for the recipe and I have everything on hand! Guess what I'm making this weekend?

I KNEW you loved me!

Just googled for the recipe and I have everything on hand! Guess what I'm making this weekend?

Wow, that's awesome! I hope you're going to share pictures of the finished masterpiece. :D If you've never had it before, go a little easy on the spices- it can be sort of overwhelming for people who haven't grown up in Scandinavia Central, USA. :p