Menu

Another would you eat this

Bambam

I purchased two packages of fresh chicken breasts from the grocery store. We overlooked them while unloading the groceries, so they stayed in the trunk about 1 hr & 15 minutes before I realized it and put them in the freezer. Outside temperature would be anywhere from 58-63 and no sun, so I think the trunk would be close to that temperature too. Would you consider them safe to cook and eat?

An acceptable temperature for a fridge is 40 degrees so you're only talking about 20 degrees warmer than that, and for only a bit over an hour. I would still eat it. I occasionally shop at Sam's in a town 45 minutes away and if it's not blazing hot, my chicken is out of the fridge that long.

How long was the meat in your shopping cart before you got home? If it was a total of 1.5 hours, I would have no problem. It is was more like 2.5 hours....I would be suspicious.

Was the chicken cold or warm when you took it out of the trunk?

People grocery shop for over an hour, and then drive home 30 minutes all the time in the city, so I don't think that is an unreasonable about of time to be at a temperature that is cooler than room temp.

Yes, I would use it unless you had shopping and travel time that would make it longer than two hours out. It wasn't at room temperature anyway.

From Fightbac.org:

"Never let raw meat, poultry, eggs, cooked food or cut fresh fruits or vegetables sit at room temperature more than two hours before putting them in the refrigerator or freezer (one hour when the temperature is above 90°F)."

No. I wouldn't eat it, unless it was frozen when you bought it. In that case, I would have checked the temperature with a meat thermometer and if all was well, I would have cooked it right away. If you didn't check the temperature when you brought it into the house, I don't think it's worth taking a chance that it was too warm for too long.

I often bring meats to room temperature before cooking them. I would have checked to see how cold it was when I removed it from the trunk.

If still cold, I would refrigerate for later.

If room temperature, I would cook right away, chop up, and refrigerate for later.

If warm, I would probably not use it.

Argh. I was seriously hoping for a concensus! Being a chicken, I'll probably toss this and add a last step to our grocery shopping that we ALWAYS check the trunk just to make sure we have everything out and properly put away! Thanks everyone for your advice!