Menu

Next week is the season final of Downton Abbey! ACK!

Renthead Mommy

OMG, it's soooo good. You have to make sure to watch the Christmas special too (though it is NOT a warm fuzzy holiday episode). I think the next season won't start in the US until Jan 2014. It airs in the UK in the fall of 2013. Too long!!!!

YES, you must watch the Christmas special. I hadn't known there was one, and I thought at first that the season finale really didn't wrap things up or end with a big hook. It's the Christmas special that's really the finale.

OMG, it's soooo good. You have to make sure to watch the Christmas special too (though it is NOT a warm fuzzy holiday episode). I think the next season won't start in the US until Jan 2014. It airs in the UK in the fall of 2013. Too long!!!!

The episode that is airing next week as the season finale is the Christmas special. I think in the UK season three consisted of 8 episodes then the Christmas special. The first episode that PBS aired was UK episodes 1 and 2 together and last night's episode was UK episodes 7 and 8 together. I'm really not sure why PBS decided to do it that way.

YES, you must watch the Christmas special. I hadn't known there was one, and I thought at first that the season finale really didn't wrap things up or end with a big hook. It's the Christmas special that's really the finale.

Sorry, Georgiana! We must have been posting at the same time!

The episode that is airing next week as the season finale is the Christmas special. I think in the UK season three consisted of 8 episodes then the Christmas special. The first episode that PBS aired was UK episodes 1 and 2 together and last night's episode was UK episodes 7 and 8 together. I'm really not sure why PBS decided to do it that way.

That makes the season seem really short, IMO. But I did go back and look on Amazon, and the other seasons were only 7-9 episodes, too. :-(

Okay, I have to ask. Does the infamous last 2 minutes have anything to do with the show's need to get rid of a character? I know it's coming, I don't know how, so I keep coming up with weird scenarios, like the time the woman on LA Law walked into the elevator shaft.

That might be too much of a spoiler for some people. But if you keep up on entertainment news, you probably have a good idea of what's coming and to whom. ;)

I think I have an idea of what happens, because on another site I saw a teaser about a plot line for *another* character that tipped me off. (There, hopefully that makes sense but is still vague, LOL.) And if it's what I think, yeah, it's really going to tick me off. :(

Yeah...it's what you think.

I think I have an idea of what happens, because on another site I saw a teaser about a plot line for *another* character that tipped me off. (There, hopefully that makes sense but is still vague, LOL.) And if it's what I think, yeah, it's really going to tick me off. :(

Yeah...it's what you think.

Yep, it sure is. Not cool!

Do you think they will air reruns of the first few episodes in Season 3 starting next week? I missed out on them. :-(

I'm assuming you could check your local PBS station's schedule. I think they are all online at pbs.org/masterpiece.

Our library got Season 3 in last week as well. OR you could buy them/stream them, etc.

And there's always simplyjune.org

And a funny P.S. My fellow DA fan/friend received a PHONE CALL this morning from a woman who she does not even know. The woman is a friend of a friend who heard that my friend was a DA expert, and could she explain this part of Season 1 that confused her. What fun! :)

The Christmas episode is the finale on PBS.

If you don't have Amazon Prime, watch season three while it's still available on PBS online. Amazon signed an exclusive deal for the streaming rights, and that's the only service that will be streaming the series later this summer. Season 3 won't stream on Netflix or Hulu at all, and both of them will lose the streaming rights to the first two seasons sometime later this year. (I'm assuming you'll still be able to buy the season or individual episodes on iTunes.)

I couldn't wait for all the episodes of Season 3, after watching 1 and 2 for free on Amazon Prime, so I bought the TV pass, that way I got all of Season 3 and any time a new episode is released to amazon it will automatically be purchased for me.

So I'm confused because you all are talking about the Christmas Special, has season 3 not aired on PBS yet?

How do you buy the TV pass, Kel?

It's through Amazon. If you go to the Downton Abbey Season 3 streaming page (this is the standard definition one, there is also an hd one if you'd like that) and on the right just under the main picture area that's black you'll see a long orangish button that talks about buying the TV pass.

When you buy the tv pass, you basically buy all available episodes from that season and then should get any new ones that are released.

I do. I have the first 4 seasons of Greys Anatomy and the first 6 seasons of Criminal Minds, as well as all available seasons of the Big Bang Theory and many other shows. We love to sit and watch these over and over on rainy, gloomy, cool days. They are also good for if we're sick and just want to lay around and veg out while trying to get over the cold.

I wondered why it was double length last Sunday. I was kinda in a hurry b/c I watched at night and thought of be going to bed at 10, not 11. I want to re- watch it now! I do know what the last 5 minutes bring in the Christmas Special and am dreading it, but I'm glad I'm prepared.

Short seasons are pretty typical for British TV. I think 6 episodes is the standard but you never know. Here's the other odd bit they never air at the same time on the major stations. So Dr.Who can be 7:10 one Saturday and 6:25 the next. If you have a guide several things are aired again later in the week. We missed tons of great telly the first few months. I always buy a TV guide and record everything.

Most American shows are aired in smaller 6 to 8 episode chunks. My dc's can't believe how long an American season is. They also have only 3 commercial breaks per hour by law. Really nice after you get used to it. I get up and actually accomplish chores during breaks.