Menu

I can finally say my son is an Eagle Scout!!

mommybee

Wow, what an accomplishment!

Did you ask Mike Rowe to send his Eagle Scout letter? :laugh:

Here it is, you should request it for him.

Thanks! This is neat! Making my list now. Life to Eagle parent meeting next week. I will need a binder of my own to keep it all straight!

Congrats, OP, to you and your son. It is a wonderful accomplishment and doesn't come easy, does it?

Congrats! I hope to join you by the end of the year. My 14 year old Life scout has 3 partial merit badges to finish and his project. He's SPL right now, so the Eagle advisor has been laying off of him for the time being, but his term is up at the end of February.

My 12 year old is already First Class, so he's on a pretty quick pace, I'm guessing that he'll slow down (and that's not a bad thing IMO), but he seems to be Eagle-bound at this point as well. (Their dad is an Eagle, and while he is VERY careful not to pressure them, there is kind of a bar set.)

CONGRATS! That is AWESOME!!!! :hurray: Ok, what is a Life to Eagle Parent meeting? Is that through your troop? Ours doesn't offer that, boy I wish they did! My son goes for Life BOR in Feb. (will be 13 in 2 weeks)

Haha, I will find out next week!

Congrats :) now here's my question. Is there something equivalent for girls? Dd who is only 4 has heard about Eagle Scouts at school (her Headstart is in with the regular school, which is crazy being pk-12) any way she asked if she could be one and I told her I would ask:)

AHG (American Heritage Girls) members can earn the Stars & Stripes Award, which is said to be becoming viewed as an equivalent to the Eagle Scout rank. AHG recently became the only girl scouting organization officially affiliated with BSA, so that will hopefully give the program and S&S achievement greater recognition.

Wondering, is there any rank or award in the Girl Scouts that is considered equivalent?

Congrats! I hope to join you by the end of the year. My 14 year old Life scout has 3 partial merit badges to finish and his project. He's SPL right now, so the Eagle advisor has been laying off of him for the time being, but his term is up at the end of February.

My 12 year old is already First Class, so he's on a pretty quick pace, I'm guessing that he'll slow down (and that's not a bad thing IMO), but he seems to be Eagle-bound at this point as well. (Their dad is an Eagle, and while he is VERY careful not to pressure them, there is kind of a bar set.)

My son was SPL as well last year and he ended up having to be in charge for eight months because we were switching scoutmasters. During that time he really had no time to make progress with merit badges so that's probably why it took a while to finally get here. Your boys are ahead of the game and that's great!

CONGRATS!

That is AWESOME!!!! :hurray:

Ok, what is a Life to Eagle Parent meeting?

Is that through your troop?

Ours doesn't offer that, boy I wish they did!

My son goes for Life BOR in Feb. (will be 13 in 2 weeks)

Our Life to Eagle was offered by the council not the troop. It is very informative on what steps need to be taken but I didn't go with my son, his dad did, so I don't know how helpful it really was. On our council's website they included a Life to Eagle workbook and that had all the information we needed to move forward, Plus our troop has been killing it with Eagle's so my son just asked the boys that were ahead of him what to do.

Congrats :) now here's my question. Is there something equivalent for girls? Dd who is only 4 has heard about Eagle Scouts at school (her Headstart is in with the regular school, which is crazy being pk-12) any way she asked if she could be one and I told her I would ask:)

Girl Scouts have the Gold Award. Not as widely known, but my daughter's Silver project is more involved than any of my son's Eagle ideas, and my Gold Project was a lot more involved than dh's Eagle Project. The amout of badge work, etc. was probably a little more for dh than for me, and now the girls do less (but what they have to do is more limited and kind of a pain) than 25 years ago.

I know that there are some scholarships that are offered to Gold Award recipients as well as Eagle Scouts. I don't know if Campfire has an equivalent, but they might, and I don't think that American Heritage Girls have one yet, but they're still a relatively young institution, so by the time your dd is ready, they might have an equivalent recognition as well.

Yes, there is. The BSA has a co-ed group, Venturing, designed for boys and girls ages 14-21. Girls can become Venturers and earn the awards through the Venturing program.

Here's a link: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/Venturing.aspx

I have met many wonderfully talented female Venturers, including a few up at Okpik this past Christmas.